Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Metroid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I have tried them and they suck

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

bladeworksmaster posted:

So it might just be me, but I do think that Mark is a little too enamored with the idea of Metroid 1's design with regards to modern game development, and is way too scathing with Zero Mission's guidance system which is actually one I like for being near entirely optional when you know what you're doing and more of a suggestion. I also don't hate guidance in of itself when the game merely tells you "Here's where you need to go, good luck." and not give you anything beyond that, so I've never been down with bashing Fusion, ZM and even Prime for how they've done it previously.

Mark Brown is great but yes he's very biased in this regard. It comes through in the Zelda season of Boss Keys too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Other M is a the heavily edited Galactic Federation report version of events in between Super and Fusion, commissioned post-Fusion as a form of character assassination as Samus is now a wanted criminal. It's propaganda used by the Federation to explain why one of the greatest heroes of the galaxy is now a dangerous mentally unstable PTSD ridden criminal.

That's the only way I can internalize that turd as being canon.

I like that interpretation

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

I really like how in samus returns she doesnt flinch when ridley appears at the end, really just hammers home how dumb that plot point was that it was immediately abandoned

And yet strangely they gave her a bit more time with the baby so i guess that her forming some kind of attachment to it is still canon?

There's nothing wrong with her having an attachment to the Baby Metroid really, other m just overdoes it to an insane degree.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

She's part X not part Metroid

E: oh poo poo I forgot they cured her with Metroid dna :aaaaa:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hollow Knight is one of my favorite games and I love how long it is, but it's certainly not a necessity or expectation for a good Metroid to be that long.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I hated how all the extra content in Hollow Knight is aimed exclusively at high-skill floor players. The bonus bosses are harder than before but you don't get any new toys or bonuses.

That poo poo honestly lowered my opinion of the game and dampened my enthusiasm for whatever sequel comes out. Who on earth has the patience for a 50-round boss-rush that has no checkpoints, which gates one of the game's ending cinematics?

The actual brutal stuff is all sequestered in the Godhome section and is the most optional of optional stuff. It's not like the actual story ending is locked behind any of that stuff.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yay I beat it! 100% in a little over 10 hours, and it was great all the way through. Loved every boss (especially since they all killed me a good few times), liked the EMMIs, and only got really stuck one time.

Solving Shinespark puzzles is one of the most powerful feelings in video games

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I guess my one complaint would be there's one or two too many of one particular repeated miniboss the chozo soldier.

It's a perfectly fine fight but aside from doing more damage there's barely any difference between the first and final fight.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Spermando posted:

How do I break boost blocks that are one block tall?

You have two options.

First, you can carry a boost through a slide as long as you have enough space to get it going first. This works for some easier ones. Sometimes though, you'll need to bring a shinespark to one block high sections. In that case you'll need to do a shinespark while in the morphball, which really is just the same input as a normal shinespark - make sure the ball is at a complete stop then hit jump followed by the direction you need to go. This is mostly tricky because you'll need to work a bit harder to make sure you have enough time to get in position and turn into a ball.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Frankston posted:

Maybe my pro controller is dying then because it feels so unresponsive half the time for me. A lot of the time it feels like inputs are not registering.

That's definitely not a base part of the game...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Ok I beat the game my first time at about 6 hours and then again with 100% item completion just now. Gotta ask one question (major endgame spoilers):

Since it isn’t explicitly pointed out, are we supposed to assume that the computer navigator was actually Raven Beak the whole time and not computer Adam? Or was that just a trick he tried to pull on her right before the final battle?

It's Adam while you're on the ship and then Raven Beak the whole rest of the time. Uploading data to the computers never actually connected Samus back to the ship, Raven Beak was intercepting everything.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

i love how the speed boost and shinespark feel in this so much

https://twitter.com/CiaphasSA/status/1447321475904520193

You have your account set to limited fyi

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

have you tried using a teleporter recently

any teleporter

Ciaphas posted:

i really wish the game signposted this better

hang on, what are we talking about...?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Holy poo poo

well, I can tell you what triggers it then because I got 100% and was using teleportals all the time without triggering that message, and I just checked and it popped up now.

What triggers it is beating the Elite Chozo in Hanubia. I know this because I didn't beat him until after I got 100% and went straight on to beat the game.

God drat that is mean!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

You use one main path right before Screw Attach so my $10 is on it being when you pick up Power Bomb

Definitely not! See above

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's hilarious because the only reason it turned out that way was I fought him once late at night and was like ugh I'm sick of the chozo soldiers, I'll just go back and get a few items before bed and finish the game up in the morning. Then in the morning I just continued on to 100% before going back to finish it.

whoops!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Our completionist instincts betrayed us....

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Confirmed: it's going up the elevator to the final boss area that does it. I went up the elevator and immediately back down, ran to the orange teleportal in Ghavoran, and got the "All teleportals are unlocked" message.

Ah sorry, it had to be one or the other and I guess that does make a bit more sense as the trigger.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I really wish (very late game) Storm Missile locked on faster. Endgame bosses just devolve into finding tight windows to wait for the lock-on and a split-second reaction to hit the enemy and bail. It’s really tedious and annoying and I wish there were better weapons than the Storm Missile cause it’s not fun to use.

I'm not sure I understand the issue. Charging the storm missiles does not impede your mobility. Just get them ready and get a few lock ons spaced out then fire.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I made it past phase three.

Oh goody there's a phase four.

I can't handle this I give up for tonight, loving hell.

Phase 4 is basically a cutscene??

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

probably refers to his wingless phase, which isn’t as bad as the previous one but still pretty vicious

It is vicious but it's also unambiguously the third phase. Not sure how you could consider there being another one in there, it goes shield, wings, wingless, done.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Or you can slide, I found that easier

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't understand how pushing triggers with your index fingers impedes moving, jumping, or shooting with your thumbs. It's not like you have to hit multiple weird face buttons at once which would actually be awkward.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

How does the Metroid Prime trilogy work for controls? I don't super want to be holding that WiiU brick up for 80 hours.

They're Wii games that require use of the Wiimote. You don't play them with the Wii U pad in the first place.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

If you go back to the room later the bomb tube is still there, and will unceremoniously hurl you into the middle of the lava pit. It's not a stretch to guess at the purpose it serves once you know it's there and that sequence breaking is possible.

Yeah, and you can see it labeled on your map so it just took an observant player to spot it later and then go back and figure out the sequence break.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just watched my brother go for the speed finish on normal in his third run and he managed 3:19. I was very impressed, but it didn't seem like he really did anything crazy, he just followed the critical path.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Stink Terios posted:

Yeah Imma just clip through the floor lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM4tXy50i8M

Ok what the gently caress

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yeah I'm interested in where they go now. If the metroids are truly gone, I guess the focus will shift to the X parasite?

It would be nice to see them pick up the plot threads they left at the end of Fusion, but apparently the Federation forgave her actions so I dunno. They could still make her a fugitive, maybe now the Chozo and the Federation both decide to bring her in for her metroid DNA so she's on the lam from both.

We literally just had two games focused on the X parasite, I'm pretty sure we're done with them too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Martian Manfucker posted:

yo why is robot chorizo warrior so hard, why come it's making me fight TWO chorizo robot. i can't beat them, it's too hard.

Use your new toy, the storm missiles. It tears em up

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

forest spirit posted:

I'm just poking my head into the thread because I was linked the Dunkey video review and wanted to listen to some reactions to the criticisms from people who have played the game much more than I have.

You mean the very clearly joke "review" that is not even internally consistent? Yeah it was pretty funny and effective.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waffle! posted:

No. I'm not near my Switch so I can't double check right now. I thought the flashes were only for hidden rooms.

On the contrary, hidden rooms are not indicated and have to be found by conspicuous blank spots on the map. Hidden items in rooms you've already entered are indicated by the flashing background.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

How does Samus feel helpless? Adam says she is sure, but she then proceeds to crush all opposition in both gameplay and cutscenes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You don't get to say passive aggressive bs like this:

LividLiquid posted:

That's just it. She did. I didn't, and that's what I didn't like.

There's no sense in us arguing about it. If you like Samus being helpless, that's your Metroid experience and I wouldn't dream of telling you that you're wrong

And then act like you have the moral high ground:

LividLiquid posted:

Y'all, I'm not telling you how you should feel about the game when I tell you how I felt about the game.

I know it's the internet, but c'mon, now.

You c'mon now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hollow Knight's map system is perfect.