Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

TaurusOxford posted:

A section on Metroid 2 and you forgot to mention the best version:

Can you kill Ridley in this one? No, but it's still the better remake.

Hi, I'm gonna be that guy that is the somewhat negative Nancy about AM2R!

While the sheer amount of effort in AM2R from one dedicated developer is to be applauded, from a game design standpoint and over 10 playthroughs I find AM2R lacking in a few areas:

-The biggest fault that I can name right off the bat is that every single boss fight in this game bar maybe two are just exceedingly awful. Most of them are the boring damage sponge nothing, or exceedingly infuriating in the case of every single Metroid fight and their auto dodge/parry horseshit combined with random flight patterns that made it hard to hit their near microscopic weakpoint that makes me crave the Gamma Metroids from Samus Returns. Exceptions to this for me were the Queen Metroid who's good no matter the version (Though that one actually got way too long in the tooth as well, only to save it with the Power Bomb Kill), and the Tester whose concept I really like.

-The puzzle design is a little too over reliant on the Speed Booster, which to be fair is a fault I levy at Fusion and Zero Mission as well, blame my own personal tastes on that one.

-The controls are just slightly off and a bit too fast, again just a personal problem of mine rather than an objective fault.

There's a lot of smaller things as well, and a lot good that I can name with it, but I can't in good conscience say I enjoyed it more than Samus Returns, which I found an extremely fun and ambitious game by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Actually, to put over another Metroid fan project that is a little closer to the original, shout outs to Metroid Planets, a full remaster of Metroid 1 that adds a lot of QoL features, mechanical tweaks, and multiplayer to the original NES game, without losing the aesthetic and charm. In addition, it has a map maker and a whole new campaign for you to try, and is my preferred way to play the original Metroid 1 if you absolutely must play it to experience how the series started.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

The United States posted:

However Dread is recontextualizing Samus Returns not as a dead end and missed chance to get one last pixel art 2D entry in the series before it went fully Prime/3D, but as an evolutionary step and the way forward for the series. Stuff like the counter kills and free aiming now seem to be fully realized in Dread and we can appreciate what they were trying to do in moving the side scrolling series forward. And with Dread we know it wasn't a dead end at all, that the side scrolling gameplay can continue and evolve with 3D graphics.

Also, between the two, the 8 way aiming limitation really does make the numerous metroid fights in AM2R much more annoying than they have to be, the free aiming and counter window really help make them less tedious in Samus Returns.

This was a huge crux of what made Samus Returns so fun for me on replay on my marathon of 2D games I did a bit ago, actually, but also looking at what Mercury Steam was doing to try and bridge the gap for a lot of power ups to be more useful than one and dones or borderline useless poo poo like Super Metroid's Grapple Beam by giving them more cool stuff do makes me eager to see what's done with the power ups in Dread now that they've had practice. The one time it fell flat for me was the conveyance on the Power Bomb launcher with Spider Ball, which I feel needed just one extra step of conveyance, maybe with a little pillbug dude doing something similar in the back, to really cinch it.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

So I think I'm gonna make some effort posts about the 2D Metroid games I marathoned through about a month ago, both to get my thoughts on the series at large and the pre-release hype for Dread in proper focus, and starting off, we have Metroid!

For full disclosure, I played Metroid Planets to experience this title, so I had a lot of QoL improvements like a minimap, save slots, and a much more generous respawn feature to work with, which made for a much more pleasant experience overall. With that said, if you're going into the original there's a fair few archaic design choices like starting you off with 30 health on each new refresh, so if you're gonna play this game I would highly recommend using savestates or play it through Planets like I did.

Now, for an early NES title, this game is definitely far ahead of its time for an explorative title, and I think there's still a lot of fun to be had here when you get past a lot of the old school jank like how floaty the movement is, and it can still be fun to get lost in the maze in its own right if you're up for that. The goal is simple, kill Kraid and Ridley then head back up to Brinstar and head to the final area to defeat the Metroids and Mother Brain, and everything beyond that is yours to decide where to go. Which brings us into the sliding scale of linearity in Metroid as a series, because for how much people talk up how freeform Metroid is, I do think it needs to be said that every title is linear to some degree, just that in varying amounts you can have moments where you "outsmart" the game and get to power ups or places you probably shouldn't early and the game won't stop you from doing such. Here, getting as many power ups as you can before smashing the two bosses is fun in its own right, and I ended up getting 100% item completion before ending things off.

It's very easy to write this title off for all the improvements made in later titles that frankly do blow it out of the water, but I think it can be worth experiencing still.

bladeworksmaster fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 29, 2021

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Raylax posted:

If anyone wants a bit of a deeper dive into Metroid's game design, Mark Brown's GMTK has an excellent series of videos dedicated to the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUT60DKaEGc

Playlist link: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc38fcMFcV_ul4D6OChdWhsNsYY3NA5B2 (first season/half is Zelda)

So it might just be me, but I do think that Mark is a little too enamored with the idea of Metroid 1's design with regards to modern game development, and is way too scathing with Zero Mission's guidance system which is actually one I like for being near entirely optional when you know what you're doing and more of a suggestion. I also don't hate guidance in of itself when the game merely tells you "Here's where you need to go, good luck." and not give you anything beyond that, so I've never been down with bashing Fusion, ZM and even Prime for how they've done it previously.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Alright, got my thoughts together and some time, so now it's time to cover Metroid II: Return of Samus!

Of all the Metroid games I've played, this is the one I missed entirely when it was newer, apart from very short play sessions where I got bored as a kid on my friend's copy. Going back to it now, I think this is the Metroid game I enjoyed the absolute least of any of them, though to be fair a bit of that is because I played a dramatically QoL enhanced Metroid 1. To go over the positives first, this game has a fair few improvements over the first game, like being able to shoot downwards, recharge stations intermittently scattered around the world, and actual save points to stop by. In addition, graphically I would say Metroid's starting to come into its identity more here, up to and including the pauldrons on the Varia Suit, and some of the new power ups are pretty neat additions to Samus' arsenal like the Space Jump and Plasma Beam.

Now for the bad. For starters, the hardware is very obviously holding this game back despite its multitude of improvements, both in how the game plays and in the sound department, mostly in some of the music tracks. For gameplay, the control is still quite a bit stiff with 4 directional aiming only, and Samus feels really REALLY slow to an unpleasant degree for me. Then we get to the Metroid fights and never mind how repetitive they get, they're also boring and bad to fight, apart from the Metroid Queen who manages to be a decent ending to the game.

Now, for a somewhat controversial take, I actually didn't mind the linearity of Metroid II, since I don't think exploring quarantined sections of the world is a bad design choice in of itself given the handheld nature of the game. Really, it's how clunky all the systems and boss fights are in Metroid II that make it my least favorite of the series to play, and not one I intend to go back to any time soon. Give it a try, however, since a lot of people see much more than I do in it, and if it doesn't work, there are two competent remakes that do a better job of telling the story of Samus' adventure through SR-388.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

They kind of started that in Samus Returns; when you finally kill Diggernaut, Samus finishes it off with a charged shot she doesn’t even bother to look to make sure it’s connecting. Felt like she was saying “I am so loving done with this thing”, which as the player was a pretty mutual feeling.

It was a thing all the way in the Prime games too, I remember the first Dark Samus cutscene where she just points her cannon dead on at it as they have their staredown. I think Mercury Steam likes that stuff as much as I do, and implemented it to their 2D work.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbh i go back and forth on the post mother brain part of zero, like idk if it really adds enough to me but i do enjoy the gameplay of the stealth part and then the feeling of dominance once you get powered back up

That whole thing always gets talked up but I like how the game lets you have the power trip, and then throws the more challenging Elite Pirates to reel you back in a bit.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

TaurusOxford posted:

If nothing else, you have to give Mercury Steam credit for making badass suit designs, and for taking the extra step with their Gravity Suits and not just doing "Varia but purple".

Being frank the thing I enjoy most about Mercury Steam's take with Metroid is that their artist just gets Metroid, I think. In terms of art direction I think both Samus Returns and now Dread match up to the Prime games in spades.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Now it's time to get into the really good titles in this series with no caveats, time to talk about Super Metroid!

This game certainly needs no introduction and no excuse to replay it pretty much ever, and for this playthrough I decided to use the Control Freak romhack which makes Super Metroid's controls more akin to Fusion's with the shoulder button used to toggle alt fire, and the de-select button used to operate the X-Ray Scope, fixing one of my minor complaints with Super in how I, a mostly casual player of it, didn't like some of the control quirks.

With that said, Super Metroid is still a complete masterclass in game design and I had no problem blazing through in about 2-3 play sessions, nearly getting 100% bar a couple of Power Bomb tanks I forgot about. The music is hella atmospheric, the graphics are superb in SNES pixel art, the power ups are fun to use (Except for the Grapple Beam which is massively clunky, another gripe of mine), the major bosses are all memorable in their own right, with minor ones like Botwoon unfortunately being extremely generic and more of a time waster, and the narrative culmination at the end is the first time Metroid really gets over how it can be a lot more than a gameplay blast without slowing down the pace..

To name one or two more criticisms I have of the game, in Maridia the game introduces invisible walls that you can simply walk through to find extra goodies or progression, and thankfully can all be x-ray'd to find them, but unfortunately this does not apply to the one in Norfair which allows a shortcut out of Ridley's lair, which is not cool. The second one, which has been pointed out before, is that the save room in lower Tourian locking you out of going back from 100% just kinda sucks. Other than that though, Super Metroid is where the series really develops into the excellence that Metroid is known for, and still a game I can play any time and enjoy a ton.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Alright, time for another effort post, and this time I got a lot to say, cause it's the game that was my first 2D entry with Prime being my first one period, Metroid Fusion!

Metroid Fusion is the first Metroid game in over 8 years after Super Metroid since the N64 was deemed not optimal for a new Metroid title (and not the first time this would be the case as we'd see with Dread), and logic would dictate playing it safe with the first entry in 8+ years of absence. However, as Metroid proves time and again, playing it safe is never in its wheelhouse, and for this title, Metroid Fusion turns the winning formula of Super entirely on its head.

With the advancement in technology coming into the Gameboy Advance, Metroid Fusion tells a much more direct story than previous titles, a decision which is divisive to this day, but for me, it is absolutely well done by and large, keeping Samus as tough, but more introspective after her traumatic experience with the X Parasites, altering her physically in a sequence that gave me my most vivid nightmare as an 11 year old kid, and setting the stage for an adventure in the BSL Research Labs that has Samus more vulnerable than she's ever been in the series before. And that's even before you get into the horrifying abominations Samus finds the X Parasites morphing in, chief among them being her doppelganger, the SA-X, representing the very specter of her past out to kill her.

Indeed, in terms of difficulty, this is perhaps one of the harder entries in the 2D series in terms of challenge, enemies hitting you harder than they ever did in Super, and even with a 20 E-Tank cap compared to the usual 14 and defense upgrades, Samus never feels like she can take damage as well as she could before. With that said, despite her floatier wall jumps taken away, Samus feels more athletic in animation than she did in Super in a way I really like, and the control style feels very good for someone like me who isn't very technically oriented in these types of games. Progression, meanwhile, is more linear in terms of the story and events, but in the moment to moment gameplay, I feel Fusion does not get enough credit for how well it handles Metroid's formula despite the increased linearity. Exploration is still every bit as satisfying, and I found myself catching onto Fusion's tricks of how it pulled off most puzzles quickly, although one puzzle with the bomb tubes in Sector 6 was not exactly tickling my fancy.

The biggest thing I appreciate in Fusion, however, is the narrative itself and how it weaves Metroid's own themes into a unique survival horror experience, of how Samus is shackled down both by her loss of power and the loss of her agency to the Federation who seem intent on keeping her powered down through piecemeal upgrade deliveries, ones that the X Parasites continually tear down after you acquire them, only for Samus to regain other powers from the X that allow her to slip the leash the Federation tries to keep on her again and again. The reason I really don't have any issue with how linear Fusion is is because from the first visit to Sector 2 onwards, the game design continually starts to tear you off the revealed map and into areas that return to that series staple of dropping you into the unknown, with the added stress of a pursuer lurking beyond the horizon. It eventually comes to a head in the finale as Samus proves daring enough to risk it all for the sake of the galaxy to annihilate the X, with a climactic showdown against the very being that's chased her for the entire game before a big dramatic escape.

Metroid Fusion is my favorite 2D Metroid game, it always has been, and I think it would be remiss to try and steer anyone away from it when it does so much right and feels so unique among the series.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

The United States posted:

Metroid Fusion's linearity and focus on a bunch of text-based storytelling did feel like a step down after Super Metroid, but after the years have passed I think we can appreciate it for doing something different and laying the groundwork for the future of the series. Also it's not really appreciably more linear than Metroid II, and Other M basically being "Fusion, in 3D, but worse" has made it look better in retrospect.

I think having Prime as my first Metroid game really helped my perception of Fusion since I was more than receptive to reading the data logs in Prime, so going into Fusion and having the text in the 2D side was zero issue for me.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Time for the first of three remakes before Metroid Dread comes out, it's Metroid Zero Mission!

Metroid Zero Mission, despite being big into the Metroid series at the time (at a Christmas party, my cousin gave me Super Metroid and Link to the Past as a gift to take home, so I ended up enjoying those too with my next door neighbor), this one ended up passing me by while I focused on Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Even so, I cannot deny the craft that went into revamping the former first title in the series, modernizing it to fit in with the rest.

Metroid Zero Mission is a game, I feel, is a title that is the very definition of Speedrunner's Delight, a game that has such technical polish in design, abilities, and control of those abilities that if you're a speedrunner, you can get a ton out of the game beyond your first playthrough. However, even on that first playthrough, I feel Zero Mission is a very welcoming title for a beginner just out to finish the game, one that has impeccable spritework and music for the GBA, with conveyance that is very player friendly but not too much so, a guidance that slowly eases off and becomes more and more optional as time goes on until disappearing entirely when you no longer need it.

The more advanced maneuvers, however, bring one of my personal gripes with the game, and this really only applies to me, that I think it can be a bit too demanding for 100%, and now's as good a time as any to say that I think the GBA titles and AM2R which is a GBA Metroid in all but system over use the Speed Booster and Shinespark for puzzle design, and while the Speed Booster is a very very cool power up, I don't like when it's the only puzzle and way to get around the areas. This, of course, comes down to my own personal tastes so don't take that as an objective criticism.

The other thing of note is the additional scenario after Mother Brain is defeated and the Tourian bomb is detonated, leaving Samus stranded to infiltrate Chozodia in the Zero Suit. This section actually is much more to my liking, and you can almost see how the EMMI has begun to manifest in Sakamoto's mind as you avoid detection from the Pirates in a desperate cat and mouse game, with traps and extra elements about to either aid or hinder Samus as she makes her way to the True Chozo Armor. The power rush afterwards, as well, is undeniably satisfying as you get your revenge, before it introduces the black Elites to rein you back in a bit. However, the fight with Mecha Ridley, and the boss fights in general, are probably one of Zero Mission's weakest points for me, pretty much all of them too weak to serve as more than a speed bump on the road to be satisfying.

With all that in mind, Zero Mission is still a fantastic time, and definitely one of the titles with Fusion I'd point to for trying to sink your teeth in on the Metroid series.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

SA-X is an incredibly easy boss when you realize how linear its Screw Attack trajectory on being hit is, of which it only has two trajectories. The monster form also is basically zero threat with its leap. Honestly, the Core-X is a more dangerous foe than either form of SA-X due to its quick counter shot and big touch damage.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

A Big... Dog posted:

Yeah, I think I turned my brain off a bit to actually get SA-X down. The Core-X was a little tricky, but nothing major - I had a bunch of health left, which was luxurious.

Yeah truth be told I only discovered the trick to SA-X’s patterns this go around, when it suddenly clicked into place and I just spaced it without suffering a single shot in return. I’m also a bit fan of the charged Screw Attack damage trade you can do with it.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

I found a trick to leveling out the early game parry trap Returns has and it was honestly quite simple. The Ice Beam as it turns out is hilariously overpowered until about when you get Wave Spazer, cause you can just punch frozen enemies or pop them with a single missile and not get slowed down hardly at all. Variety is definitely not the game’s strong suit but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy the more aggressive feeling of enemies once I got in a flow of evasion during movement and punch shattering the enemies I couldn’t evade.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

RodShaft posted:

I played it on stream today and that was annoying because I had to use an emulator to be able to capture it. I'd set up macros if I were going to spend a lot of time on it.

I didn't like the melee, I'm sure it got a lot of flack when it first released. I'm fine with it being in there, but it was necessary to defeat most the enemies and just seemed to break-up the action. If it were just a knock back for defense or like a saving throw I think it'd be fine.

Try using Missiles and Ice Beam more instead of relying on the counter. With the Ice Beam you can also punch frozen enemies like Sub-Zero and shatter them, conserving missiles and not disrupting your momentum.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Mode 7 posted:

I beat that loving spider.
And then wiped out on the Core X of the plant boss afterwards. Bleh.
I'm not going to finish Fusion before Dread, but I'll definitely come back to it and finish it, it's pretty great even if it's exposing how long its been since I've played anything remotely challenging.

You’re really close to the end now, keep on and you can do it!

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

I'm blazing through the game currently, got 4 EMMIs down and freshly gotten the Speed Booster, I'm having an amazing time cracking into this. The controls flow so well, the powerups feel so rad to use, I'm even a fan of how brutal the EMMIs are once I understood how Phantom Cloak and some good platform made their sections a tense cat and mouse game until I was finally able to turn the tables on them. This is definitely looking to be my game of the year so far.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Just got the speed booster

It absolutely owns :perfect:

The Speed Booster in other games despite being cool never really clicked fully for me, here though it 100% clicked and it rules. For whatever reason every little control alteration just WORKS for me now and I love it.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Finished up my first 100% playthrough with a time of 9:08:23, and I gotta say...

This is my favorite 2D Metroid, hands down. Everything just clicked for me the whole way through, the atmosphere was fantastic, the story was engaging enough to keep my interest, the bosses were fun and challenging, controls were on point, I even did every dumb shinespark puzzle when before I hated them in Fusion and ZM.

I'm so happy this game turned out so loving great after all this time away, definitely looking forward to what comes next.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Speaking of Ridley, I want another fight with him in a Dread like game. Him not being here feels off. Maybe give Dread an update that gives a new area in that large empty space on the global map with a Ridley fight.

He was the final boss of Samus Returns and despite what arguments you can make about him destroying the narrative or whatever, he’s easily the most fun boss in that game.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

multijoe posted:

I thought Sakamoto was very cool on the Prime series and didn't consider them in his canon? I'd be surprised they were meant to be explicit plot references to Phazon, although the aesthetic design does seem to be a nod and a wink towards it

So this interview gets brought up out of context a lot as a gotcha to Sakamoto, but this Reddit thread goes into a lot of his interviews on the topic where he has nothing but glowing praise for Retro Studios and the Prime games, and he was more than encouraging to let them do their own thing. One of the more relevant quotes, however:

Yoshio Sakamoto interview with Hobby Consolas, 2018 posted:

The Metroids (2D) in which I have worked and the Metroid Prime are two different sagas; there is no direct link between their stories. When the Prime saga started, I agreed with its producers that we should try to preserve the timelines and a minimum level of consistency, but also be free to create the games that we considered appropriate and avoid doing anything that would coerce the other.

In addition, Proteus Ridley in Samus Returns is pretty much a smoking gun linking the Prime games directly into series continuity.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Prime 2's gotten a lot more respect from people as time goes on, with more than a fair few liking it better than even the first one. The two are very close on my personal list, and before Dread I'd have put it as my second favorite game in the series.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Mooseontheloose posted:

The one thing that is grating on me is
*Smaus's AI friend calling him lady? like it seems super weird and out of place. Then again, I am not as well versed in Metroid games as I am in other. I played Super Metroid, Prime 1+2 and now this but it seems very antithetical to Samus being a badass.

Ignoring Other M for obvious reasons, my read on that interaction from Fusion is that it was an inside joke between the two that stuck.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Raxivace posted:

Tbh I probably would have traded the entire counter mechanic for a dedicated missile button. Not that countering itself was bad per se, but I never found it particularly fun either in this or Samus Returns tbh.

I extremely disagree with this notion, if I'm being honest. The ability for Samus to have a minimal, albeit major, way to get stuff out of her face is a huge shake up to combat so she's not just constantly eating poo poo from an annoying fucker floating in her blindspot of aiming. Looking right at you AM2R Metroids, you absolute shitters.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

multijoe posted:

The AM2R Metroids were just badly designed enemies imo, that type of free floating analogue movement just did not work with Samus's moveset and only being able to damage and recoil them from very particular angles

Not to mention, while I'm shouting about them, the fact they got a free parry of whatever missiles you manage to get at their blind spot, that loving sucked.

bladeworksmaster fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 16, 2021

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

TeaJay posted:

The last boss is a real pain, huh

In the first phase what gets me is his fill-the-room- attack if you are too far, and he follows it with the three hit combo, which corners me quite often. Pretty hard to escape. I guess when his aura shifts it's just a matter of waiting out the melee counter.

Made it to the second phase a few times, but the bullet storm attack gets me every time. I'm basically trying to circle around him just to avoid the damage.

Try circling as close as possible to him in the center. It cuts down your travel time dramatically since he only moves at one speed with his gun.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Downloaded the soundtrack elsewhere to try listening to it in isolation, and honestly while it’s not a high mark of the series, Dread’s tracks are perfectly fine to pretty good. It takes a bit to grab you admittedly, but I don’t think it’s a bad soundtrack at all.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Yeah the counter's just a shot to do unmitigated damage, if you miss you might take a hit and then you continue with the fight as normal.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Augus posted:

2D metroid has never had health bars for bosses but their absence is more noticeable in this game because the bosses don’t gradually turn red as they take damage

It's weird cause they did in Samus Returns for both the Metroids and Ridley, and Diggernaut broke apart as you inflicted damage. It's not a huge deal, but I actually like those sorts of details.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

My personal top 3 is something like:

1. Meta Ridley Prime 1
2. Metroid Queen Samus Returns
3. Proteus Ridley

The Metroid Queen is maybe one of the best examples of a boss putting all of your skills to the test in the entire franchise, though the final boss of Dread might make this list pretty soon after giving Dread another playthrough (giving it a bit of breathing room before my hard 100%).

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Related to all of that, I'm really glad the Speed Booster noise is more muted than it has been in other games while retaining that sense of Samus is going FAST.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

CainFortea posted:

Glitch speedruns use the same set of skills just applied in weird ways. My only thought on the subject is, if you're using a bug to do something that is a tacit understanding then it's a buck and may or may not be fixed at any time. Being mad when someone gets fixed is silly

That's kinda how I'm feeling about it, a little disappointing to have it removed for losing the tactic in the speedrun, but I kinda get where the game designers are coming from fixing it.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

I do think with the Chozo you can sort of have it both ways, where the Tallon Chozo are a bit older and prophesized Samus' coming to deal with the Leviathan Seed, and have the modern Chozo who started a chain of events with the creation of the Metroids to put the X in check.

As for the video clip, I never thought of the Torizo as the real Chozo, just bio-mechanical guardians they invented to keep Samus' upgrades safeguarded.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Finished up my second run of Dread on hard with a 4:10 igt. This game’s still loving amazing, and I only hit up two major sequence breaks (early grapple+bombs and early gravity). I will definitely be back for more on this cause I find the combat loop and dodging the EMMIs so satisfying, on top of just how fun it is just to use Samus’ kit and movement to get around.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Only speaking for myself here but the dark beam (and the ice beam in mp1) feels terrible to use. The jumpy enemies, like space pirates or whatever, Its drat near impossible to hit for me because of how slow moving the shots are. I would generally rather just use the power beam or wave beam

The big advantage of the Ice Beam in Prime 1 is being able to shatter any enemy that could be frozen with a Missile right after, which made the Ice Pirates a complete joke compared to their other type cousins, as well as its Ice Spreader combo one shotting Metroid Prime’s ice form. Dark Beam doesn’t really have a lot going for it in that regard by comparison.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

For me the best suit design in the series is Samus Returns’ Gravity Suit, which added the Tron lines and black spines to the design which really made the whole suit pop.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

I Am Just a Box posted:

As an aside, these cutscenes struck me as an odd bit of pacing. The instructional nature of the cutscene introducing the white EMMI is so obvious and natural both for the player and diegetically that it's easy to forget, like here, that it's not the typical player's first encounter with an EMMI. The first EMMI is the busted one that can't climb, and Samus never tries to shoot it with anything during its cutscene. It feels very vestigial, like the white EMMI's introduction was made first (possibly for the reveal trailer), but then they later decided they wanted an earlier introduction to the basics of the EMMIs and made the busted one, and forgot or didn't have time to move the cutscene's very simple lesson of "shooting this doesn't work, all you got is dodge and counter" from the white EMMI to the busted one.

Player experience still works fine, it just seems so glaring that a slight design tweak would have laid the EMMIs out even more naturally.

Adding to the above, you could argue Samus isn't sure what the droid is doing of yet narratively, so letting it get too close is a mistake anyone could make. The second time, there's zero doubt all of them are enemies, so time to open fire.

EDIT: Also, ADAM did tell her in the intro to treat the Federation tech with care, so not the time to fire on them yet.

bladeworksmaster fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Oxyclean posted:

Samus Returns or whatever Mercury Steam's remake of Metroid 2 was called had some tougher bosses from what I remember - you can kind of see some of the DNA of Dread in there.

People hated the Diggernaut, but frankly that dude's boss design was right up my alley. The best boss from that game though was the Metroid Queen for doing an honest to god final exam test of nearly every single item you'd acquired up to then.