Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

I cannot stress this enough,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Raylax posted:

the extremely superior wiimote controls

:hmmno:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

This Hack posted:

Purple Gravity suit in gameplay: though I can’t do much about what model the cutscenes use or the visor being green without affecting Varia, you will now get to run around in glorious purple when Gravity comes online.

I loving forgot about this and now I'm pissed about it all over again.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Show me the venn diagram of people who say Fusion is too linear and also say Super's wall jumps are too hard.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

A Big... Dog posted:

Now I just cannot loving beat SA-X in Metroid Fusion.

You mean at the end of the game, right? 'Cause in the other sequences where SA-X appears, they're invincible.

Edit: Nevermind, congratulations!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I just did a stream of a run of Metroid Zero Mission and had a blast talking about it while I played it. It's a great game that holds up very well and I'm sorry that this guy chose to have a career in a thing he sucks at or whatever

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

TaurusOxford posted:

I could have at least partially forgiven the misplaced Ridley boss fight at the end if they had just stripped Samus of all her upgrades throughout the battle's cutscenes. It was a huge missed opportunity to give a canonical reason why she doesn't have anything at the start of Super.

gently caress, you're right!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Sequence breaking is cool but also I don't care at all about how much we can or cannot do it.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

8 is a "the reviewer got stuck and thinks the game is too hard"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

This, tbh.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Keep in mind, these are reviewers - "8-10 hours" might actually be "4-6 hours for a competent player."

Which would still, honestly, be fine, but yeah.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

My copy still hasn't shipped from Amazon and I'm preemptively dealing with the disappointment and irritation that will come when it doesn't actually arrive tomorrow.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Calidus posted:

- The setting seemed kinda generic

Agreeing with this, and adding that I hope that MercurySteam gets to do another. I feel like for their first original game they did the thing that Retro did where they relied heavily on "forest area, lava area, water area, enemy base" thing in Prime, getting only really creative with the ice zone. Then Prime 2 came out and had way more interesting and beautiful locales overall, in my opinion - hopefully MercurySteam gets a similar chance.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

sourdough posted:

lol same I just held L and R and was like "oh I guess they're making it a really slow charge up to build tension"

I also did this and felt very sheepish afterwards.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Surprise T Rex posted:

... but for Zero Mission, Fusion and especially AM2R it seems I'm gonna need to emulate.

Just so you know, AM2R is a standalone thing specifically made for PC, not a romhack or anything.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Dross posted:

It has been ported to a number of platforms including Xbox which is where I played it

Um, okay, thanks for letting me know,

TeaJay posted:

Exploring feels really good and Samus controls really well, one thing could've used some more love is the soundtrack. Every place seems to have some variation of Ambient Background Music.

This was a big complain of mine in Samus Returns and I'm a little sad that it remained the case here as well.

Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 12, 2021

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

e: oop double

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm really liking most of the music so far, they're good remixes of the classic tunes.

That's kind of my problem, though - every time there's a stand out song, it's because it's a rearrangement of an existing song that was already good. All of the new and original stuff is just kinda... bleh.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Darko posted:

To hold down my beam which takes more HP than missiles, I'm holding down a button while simultaneously screwing with two other buttons. Means my hand is clinched constantly due to finger position and ends up hurting.

That's not what claw grip means in this context.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Great Beer posted:

hidden destroyable blocks blocking progression is a terrible idea

Jaffe, is that you

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

There's two kinds of opinions about EMMIs: there's "good but wish they iterated a bit more and weren't so contained," and there's "I am bad at video games"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Mooseontheloose posted:

what about, the arm cannon aiming probably need a tweak so that you aren't shooting straight ahead or at the ceiling?

I accept this.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

bio347 posted:

IMO it's just really weird that free-aim is L+left stick when the right stick is right there and doesn't even have anything mapped to it.

Try pressing a face button while using the right stick.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

stev posted:

I'd be really happy if they gave the IP to Platinum after Bayonetta 3 is done. They have a really good working relationship with Nintendo already and I think it'd be a great fit (as long as they didn't put the B team on it...).

Only if they put The Team That Makes Bayonetta on it and not the team that makes All Of Their Other Games

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Ah, you did the thing.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Crossposted from the Switch thread, here are some feelings about the EMMIs, which I, in retrospect, don't really like very much.

- Part of the tension that comes from the SA-X is the idea that it can appear anywhere - obviously if you've played Fusion you know where it's scripted to appear, but that first time, it scares the hell out of you when it does. Contrast that with the EMMIs, where the game tells you in every possible fashion that, hey, this next area is going to be one where an EMMI appears, so be ready for that. And then puts where it is on the map. And then gives you an audio cue so you know whether it's in the same room as you and how far away it is. And a visual to let you know where it's looking. They undercut how tense these encounters can actually be in basically every way that they could.

- The other thing about the SA-X was that the entire game was building to an eventual confrontation with it, and every other time you encounter it, it is invincible. There's nothing you can do and no way for you to stop it - it is very clear that your only choice is to run. The EMMIs, meanwhile, start with you almost immediately destroying one thanks to an arbitrarily temporary power-up, and then cycles you through this process - you run away from them until you fight the big brain (which is another disappointment - a team that has played Metroid 2 and produced a remake of Metroid 2 should know by now that nobody is a fan of "fight the same boss multiple times") and then you destroy them. They don't feel intimidating and they don't feel powerful - knowing that you are fully capable of destroying them but are simply not allowed until the Specific Time makes your eventual triumph over them overshadowed by the tedium of the process.

- If the EMMI can automatically detect you when you obtain the Hyper Beam or whatever it's called, why does it not just pursue you into the room where you fight the brains, which is a big straightaway and thereby probably the best place to shoot it? If they're too smart to walk into that room because you have the advantage, why does the rest of the encounter with them involve them walking into your bullet spray for an interminable period of time before dying? It feels very forced for not much fun.

- If Samus' energy draining abilities let her absorb energy from machines, why do we even have to wait to fight them? Why doesn't she just grab one and, hey, job's done*? Why does the energy drain work on it after it's destroyed, when it presumably has no energy left with which to function? *note that this eventually straight up happens, and when she does so, the corresponding brain is shown to also die. If it works this way, why don't the EMMIs shut down when the brain is destroyed?

I don't know, maybe these are nitpicky, but the EMMIs are my least favorite part of an otherwise really great game.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Relin posted:

this chase sequence in samus returns is inexcusably bad

It's a really cool idea that in execution sucks major rear end, yeah.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

skill

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Non-glitch speedruns are generally a demonstration of the same set of skills that the average player is expected to use to complete the game, and as a result are easy for those players to become invested in watching. Personally, I think the reason I'm not interested in glitch-heavy speedruns is because I would need to understand a lot of tech behind it, and if I'd put that much effort into a very specific subset of exploits, I'd probably be more entertained by just clipping through the void myself on my own time.

I don't know, I feel a combination of "to each their own, of course" and "but also probably nobody wants to see the Doom 2016 speedrun that's just clipping through walls for forty minutes."

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

You can tell the glitch speedrun community is very small because you have people who'll get upset about the suggestion that it's very small at the drop of a hat.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Bleck posted:

people who'll get upset

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Your Computer posted:

i'm so confused at what is even being argued anymore

Looks to me like people aren't arguing, and it was actually just one poster that got upset for some reason.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Furthermore, in Super Metroid, when you get to the fat baby metroid's area there are a bunch of desiccated creatures in there, including a chozo, so you know the baby ate him recently.

That's a robot, though.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Other M bad.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Apparently it’s canon that Samus can’t have kids, which is probably for the best by now because god only knows what that kid would come out looking like.

I, for one, love Samus' future toothy birdsquid child.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Just Andi Now posted:

Actually, are people using the tip of their thumb to press every face button?

I use the tip of the thumb for XY (Nintendo layout) and extend my thumb and move it downwards to press AB with the middle of the thumb.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Grinding a specific skeleton or Axe Knight hundreds of times until they drop the magic spell or item you want (that you only know exists because of a GameFaqs post from 15 years ago) totally loving sucks and it’s one of the reasons I thought Bloodstained kind of sucked too.

Yeah, I finally played Bloodstained a few months ago and was disappointed that so much of the apparently fun stuff was locked behind grind. Between that and there only being one movement ability that I obtained and thought was fun, I was deeply confused why so many people are so gaga for that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

I didn't grind and not much of the stuff I did happen to find was fun anyway. Combat was very stilted and janky.

Also there was one part where it was actually necessary to grind and I was irritated that I'd wasted a chunk of time because of it.