Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Other M is a horrible travesty but it still deserves a spot in the OP. Also you should mention that the original version of Metroid Prime 2 had a multiplayer mode that was trying to be like Halo but was extremely bad.

Metroid Prime Pinball was pretty cool and I think you could kill Ridley in it. You could go to different areas from the game and fight bosses and stuff. Notable for coming with the DS rumble pack that you plugged into the GBA slot!

Metroid Prime: Hunters was unique and actually very cool. There was a one-player story mode that was decent, although there were a lot of jumping puzzles with long drops and for some reason they added fall damage so you’d just die instantly if you fell too far. It took place on a space station and you were going after some target while fending off attacks from other bounty hunters. Samus actually hunting a bounty?!?!? This game was most notable for having online multiplayer that was actually pretty great! You could play as Samus or a handful of other hunters, for better or for worse. They could all do something equivalent to the morph ball and some of them had tiny hit boxes that made them better than others. Also one could turn invisible, I recall. Anyway it was really cool and I wish they would remake it or rerelease it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mega64 posted:

So what was the deal with Federation Force?

This is the only one I’ve never touched and I legitimately forget exists. Did anyone play it?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I played a lot of Metroid 2 as a kid and it still has a special place in my heart, but it is very confusing and tough to navigate. It is, however, mercifully short and easy to beat in one sitting as an adult. It’s definitely easier to play than the original Metroid. I can remember only a few years ago getting stuck in the bubble part of Norfair because I couldn’t find the one secret bombable block that lets you continue on. So stupid and frustrating.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Shiroc posted:

Samus Returns is a little weird in how many items you can only get once you have the baby but by then you will almost certainly have more than enough of everything to beat Ridley.

Took a page out of Zero Mission’s book, clearly. I recall all of the baby items being very close to the fast travel points though, so there’s that. I’m definitely going to replay it soon on hard.

Also I’m fine with Samus in Dread being like, “not this rear end in a top hat again!” to Kraid when she is clearly loving terrified of the EMMI & Chozo Warrior enemies. Good poo poo.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I just played through Super Metroid for the first time in a while. Back in the day I could beat it with 100% in under 3 hours. But it’s been a while and I got a little lost going from the power bombs to the grappling beam and then in Maridia I hosed up by getting sucked into quicksand. So I only got 93% in 3:22. Game is very intuitive for the most part, it tends to give subtle hints about where to go or how to do stuff. I might play Samus Returns between now and the release of Dread to get more hype. How was hard mode in that one? A horrible slog?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Samus Returns is pretty miserable on hard, so y’all were right. Alpha Metroids can kill you in like three hits. It’s kind of a miserable game in general with very drab and ugly areas. I also keep making bad decisions like going to the highest point in Area 2 but somehow not getting the Spring Ball until I came back later. I’m gonna power through but I wish they had tried to make it less ugly? At least Metroid II had the excuse of being a Game Boy game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Araxxor posted:

For the mutant Samus is by the end of Fusion, X isn't part of it. Maybe, assuming the SA-X didn't save her during the events of Dread somehow.

I replayed the GBA games recently and had a blast with them. I really can't wait for the new Metroid. I think I enjoyed Zero Mission of the two more though. The player physics just felt so much better than in Fusion (Jumping slows you down there, going into Morph Ball is kinda slow, and Wall Jumping is so much more restrictive to prevent sequence breaks) and the more freeform structure I find suits Metroid gameplay so much better.

That being said I appreciate just how useful your upgrades constantly were in Fusion where in Zero Mission, quite a few aren't that great. Charge Beam in ZM isn't really that useful and Missiles are pretty much the way to go, especially Supers. Power Bombs are neat, but by the time you get them, you have nothing to use them on other than getting more Power Bombs for 100%.

That’s definitely the worst thing about Zero Mission. Getting 100% is super annoying. Samus Returns has like a handful of items that require the baby (the baby) but they are all very close to warp points so maybe they’ve learned their lesson?

The movement in Fusion is very tight, to the point of feeling extremely stiff, but I never felt it was detrimental to the game as a whole.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m partial to the pirate log where they tried to recreate morph ball technology and horribly crushed and mangled the test subjects.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Omega Pirate was a legitimate threat, even on Normal, but did you ever fight it on Hard? It might be the hardest fight in that game. Tough to say if it’s harder than the end boss, it’s been a while since I’ve played it. Space Pirates knew how to make life difficult for Samus but never enough to actually stop her.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Honest question time, I've been playing a lot of Fusion and Zero Mission lately (Don't have a switch for Dread, but got a used DS recently, and those are 2 of the 4 games I have for it), and does anyone feel like some of the puzzles for items in those games were... too hard? Maybe I'm too much of an old man, but some of them require a lot of shinesparking and perfect reflexes and... I don't have that.

I’ve gotten the secret message in Fusion that requires extremely precise shinesparking and it was not fun. Satisfying, but not fun.

As for Zero Mission, yes they really pushed it to the extreme and it’s very tedious. Clearly Fusion wasn’t enough for those sickos. That’s probably my biggest complaint about Zero Mission, how not fun getting 100% is.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Can’t understand complaining that it’s ten hours, like people aren’t gonna replay it on hard or try to do speedruns or low % runs and end up playing it over and over. That’s kind of the point!

Hell, I’ve played through Super Metroid twice in the past month. Once was to scratch the itch and the second time was to impress my seven-year-old nephew and show him the game which he thought was super cool. I wish Fusion was on the Switch because I’m not gonna hook up my WiiU just to play it and I don’t have an ambassador 3DS or working GBA.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/amiiboalerts/status/1446206693243699212?s=21

I was gonna go to a few stores at opening tomorrow to see if I can snag one, maybe I’ll try GameStop first?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ok I beat the game my first time at about 6 hours and then again with 100% item completion just now. Gotta ask one question (major endgame spoilers):

Since it isn’t explicitly pointed out, are we supposed to assume that the computer navigator was actually Raven Beak the whole time and not computer Adam? Or was that just a trick he tried to pull on her right before the final battle?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the computer starts calling you "Samus" instead of "Lady" right after you wake up

Orange Crush Rush posted:

you didn’t think something was up when Adam started saying poo poo like “Samus even though you are almost at full power you stand no chance against Raven Beak, he is just too strong and bad rear end and cool and did you know he has a massive dick and also….”

Okay I thought so. Just wasn’t 100% sure.

Edit: has anyone figured out if there are different endings depending on your time/item %/Difficulty? After my first time beating it I got two of the ending gallery pics, when I beat it with 100% just now I unlocked a special picture of Samus with a bunch of characters/enemies from the whole series in the regular gallery, along with the rest of the pics.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 10, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

JordanKai posted:

The shinespark puzzle in the secret area in Burenia is one of the most unintuitive things I've ever encountered in a Metroid game. It was really hard to find, too.

Unless you already know that Shinesparking into an incline allows you to start running again and this prolong your speed boost (it’s been that way since Fusion) I could understand that puzzle being confusing. You’re never explicitly told that in any of the games!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I found the controls to be easy in this game and Samus controlled really well, not stiff like in Fusion but still very precise. I also thought it was pretty easy to figure out where to go based on just looking at the map. Often I would find an area that I knew my new item would help me progress in, and there would be a teleporter near it that was the same color as a teleporter near me. Wow, it’s almost like they designed it that way on purpose?! There were only two teleporter colors I didn’t use during the regular story, cyan and orange. By the way, (endgame spoilers sort of) when I booted up my completed save, the game allowed me to use any teleporter to go to any other teleporter. Is that only unlocked after beating the end boss? Or does it unlock when you get to the final area?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 10, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Calaveron posted:

My one complaint about this game so far is that bosses have too much health. Like I fought the Chozo Soldier and it was easy to avoid and just vomit an unending torrent of plasma at it but it felt like I was doing it for too long.

Also Samus is fragile as hell. Same Chozo soldier hits once for a full energy tank and that's kinda ridiculous.

Use more missiles, especially storm missiles. ESPECIALLY storm missiles. They’re insanely good against bosses.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Informal poll: when you were able to successfully parry the EMMI’s grab, was it when you had the Omega cannon? Because those were the only times I was able to do it and I think that the timing is more lenient when you have the Omega cannon.

Also, why is the Omega cannon so much like Phazon? It’s Phazon, isn’t it? Just admit it game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I dunno who needs to hear this, but you can come out of a somersault instantly by shooting. If you have a shinespark charged up, you can let go of the stick and hit jump to initiate the shinespark. I couldn’t consistently get out of somersaults any other way in this game.

I hooked up my WiiU and discovered I had already bought Fusion and Zero Mission so I played through the former. I managed to get 97% items while using a guide as little as possible (I couldn’t remember how to beat those stupid gold Zebesians!) and then grabbed the remaining few items before beating it again. I managed to do it in under four hours which wasn’t too bad. I’ve definitely done 100% in under two before but I’m feeling a little burnt out so I probably won’t try that right away. I will say that I loving hate that one room where you have to precisely space jump above a bunch of collapsing blocks to get two different power ups. I’d take a shinespark puzzle over that any day of the week!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

HenryEx posted:

I have no idea what room you mean. I'm at the last boss, collected 100% of the pick ups, and never got the space jump

In Fusion? You literally can’t beat Fusion without getting the space jump, you get it from the spider boss. The room is in Sector 2 iirc.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You don’t need to shoot him in phase 1 at all, I’m pretty sure you’re doing no damage. The only way to actually damage him is during the counter animations. I’ve gotten through it in two counters while barely shooting him at all.

Anyway, I started up Zero Mission (on hard because apparently I hate myself) and while I know that you can sequence break like crazy I am following the path suggested by the game and it gets really old having to grab one item in Brinstar so I can grab one in Norfair so I can grab one in Crateria so I can grab another in Norfair so I can grab another in Brinstar so I can fight Kraid so I can grab another power up in Norfair so I can grab another on in Brinstar so I can grab another one in Norfair… :tizzy:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DeafNote posted:

I mean an EMMI with a multi-room wide powerbomb ability would have been the most BS obstacle the game could imagine.

I think missiles still do damage up until the gold armor comes in.
Energy blasts just charge him up faster (you can tell his aura colors get more intense) so he fires the big red energy wave which you have to duck under.
I always needed 3 counters (including the short one from the redwave). But maybe I should have been firing wave beams instead of missiles during them. Or maybe my fingers just cannot press the missile button fast enough.

Don’t missiles just bounce off of him during phase 1? It makes sense that shooting him can cause him to use the huge energy attack you have to duck under but you can also counter his one melee attack and do a dashing melee attack at him when he gestures for you to come at him to get the counters. I think that he might only do the latter after the huge energy attack, but I think you can also move the fight along by countering his normal attack and showering him in missiles.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Zero mission has some absolutely evil puzzles, like this secret one on the right side of Ridley’s area:

https://youtu.be/LN4Cky9pTEg

Starts at 4:20 (maaaaaan) in case it doesn’t automatically start there. gently caress that crumbling maze thing and the other shinespark puzzle right above it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

MorningMoon posted:

Almost done with Metroid Fusion. It's a bit disappointing how linear and limiting it feels, and the actual story beats of Samus and Adams are terrible, but everything SA-X related is dope and it feels great.

However, my thumbs are 30 year old, come on game
https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/1451930959872397312

There’s one notable sequence break but all you get is a secret message from the developers. Other than that, you can collect almost all of the items between when you get the screw attack and when Adam locks you into going to the final boss by using the secret tunnels between the sectors to avoid Nav rooms, which is pretty fun if executed properly and you don’t miss anything on the main deck like I did last run lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ran through on Normal again and tried a bunch of sequence breaking, which just caused me to be more confused about where to go so it took me nearly five hours to beat the game with 71% items. I really need a good plan before my next run. I want to do the sequence breaks that don’t involve glitches (early Grapple Beam, Bombs, Cross Bombs, Gravity Suit, Screw Attack*) but in doing so I didn’t always know where I should go next and ended up doing a lot of backtracking. Do the sequence breaks end up saving time? They make certain bosses super easy but I dunno if the time saving is offset by having to backtrack.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I killed the Experiment boss in like, two minutes using a shinespark, you don’t need either of those things to make it easy.

Sequence breaking was a time saver in earlier games (like getting the wave beam early in Super or skipping certain items in Zero Mission) so it’s kinda weird that you have to go so far out of your way to do it in Dread.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

By the way, you all were right that shooting the end boss during his first phase causes him to use that big energy attack which, if dodged, triggers a cutscene where you can do a counter and pump him full of missiles. It’s part of the flashback cutscene where Samus fights Raven Beak right after arriving on ZDR. It literally shows you how to beat his first phase.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Venuz Patrol posted:

i've seen this brought up a few times, which is weird because it totally isn't true. once you leave the nav room after getting your final mission, you can head straight back in to the sectors with no problem. i wasn't locked into the ending sequence until after starting the SA-X fight

He locks the doors between the recharge rooms and the sectors until you beat the game. If you load a completed save you can go back. It’s absolutely true, I literally played the game last week lol

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://youtu.be/ONbsfy5wPRY

New speedrunning truck just dropped, holy loving poo poo

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There’s still a little bit of randomness to where the EMMI spawns when you enter, I’ve had times where it was right by the door and caught me immediately. It’s stupid though if you manage to get some distance between you and the EMMI but then enter the EMMI zone through another door moments later it’s right there again. I feel like it’s on the cusp of being a really great game mechanic but it’s stuck in being just okay.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

The "rules" for the EMMIs aren't communicated as clearly as they could be and I think that's leading to a lot of frustration, leading to the most common strategy being "keep trying until you get lucky with the RNG". In that tweet the EMMI has already spotted the player, in which case the cloak does nothing, but the game doesn't make that obvious. I'm on my 4th playthrough and only now am I really consistently cloaking then spider-grapping away before getting spotted, and I still run into situations where the thing just parks itself in front of the one path you need to go on to proceed so you either have to just backtrack around in some circle to lure it away or brute-force through the retries.

Adam literally tells you that the cloak is useless if the EMMI has already spotted you, the next time you go to a Nav Room after getting it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Running from the EMMI was one of the most fun parts of the game, even though the stakes are relatively low (since you just restart at the last door if you die) it still made my heart race, plus the intense music and the lights flashing. Good poo poo. Trying to outsmart the AI was cool and good and wasn’t usually easy. I definitely had times where I tried to set up a spot to hit an EMMI with only to have it sneak up right behind me or come a totally different way. Waiting for an EMMI to emerge from a door only to have it pop up right in front of you owns.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Waffle! posted:

I just realized that Dread didn't pull the classic Metroid trick of a room with fake lava or acid that you drop through. They still do that move of putting an item on the opposite side of a hallway with break away blocks in front of it though.

There is at least one missile tank that tricks you by putting it on the other side of lava, but there are actually breakable blocks to get to it. In fact, there are a bunch of items where it looks like you need a later upgrade to get it (morph ball, power bombs, etc.) but have somewhat secret ways to get them early. I kinda liked that.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Waffle! posted:

I'm pretty sure Super Metroid has it too. You drop through one of those red flower things that try to eat you.

Super Metroid definitely has fake lava, I’m trying to remember if Fusion does. lol I just played it a few weeks ago.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m not sure if there are any good no-glitch speed guides yet. I can tell you that getting grapple beam/bomb right after Kraid is definitely a speed trick, and so is early cross bomb/screw attack. If you can do the early space jump trick, even better but it’s really hard. I will say that I ran into an issue in my last run where I got stuck on the wrong side of one of those grapple beam boxes and had to go the long way around, so make sure that, right after you get ice missiles, you pull the grapple box that’s blocking a train to Dairon so you can come back that way later. Maybe I should gently caress around and write a no-glitch guide???

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Waffle! posted:

No. I'm not near my Switch so I can't double check right now. I thought the flashes were only for hidden rooms.

The white flashing bits are hidden items. I think it tells you that in one of the loading screen hints, or maybe when you download a map for the first time? Either way the game explicitly tells you that. Also, hidden rooms almost always contain items anyway, so wouldn’t you want to check them out?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Omobono posted:

The federation lost signal on the EMMIs like 5 minutes after planetfall but the X were still under containment until Samus reached the containment zone.

Since that's clearly Raven Beak's doing, I'm going to assume his arm cannon has a crowbar mode.

I don’t think it was that quickly. But I guess it depends on whether the EMMI zones & control units were created by the Federation or Raven Beak. It’s not explicitly said at any point but it seems like it could be Federation tech that was repurposed by the Chozo.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Golux posted:

Our information provider ingame implied that they were supposed to work that way but then they are a lying liar who lies.

Though, the first central unit was already beaten up... so who knows. Maybe there's a protocol for moving them around

Right, it seemed like Raven Beak must have wrecked that central unit, right? I wish that it made more sense!!!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There’s art you get in the gallery that shows Raven Beak blowing that EMMI’s face off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Kind of incredible that someone actually took the time to program that into the game simply because it makes physical sense.