Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

At midnight on September 3, 2001, Cowboy Bebop first aired on U.S. television as part of the very first Adult Swim broadcast (though it initially aired in Japan three years earlier), and in the twenty years since it has cemented itself as a bona fide classic. I’ve also never seen the whole thing! And as an excuse to get myself to just sit down and do it before that live-action series with John Cho comes out (which may or may not be a terrible idea, it’s too early to say), I’ve put together this rewatch thread.

Why not do this in ADTRW, you ask? Well, considering the legacy of this show on American television and the status of the upcoming adaptation, I thought it might be more appropriate to put it in TV IV. Also, it really doesn’t matter!

We’re going to start on Friday, September 3, the twenty-year anniversary of the Adult Swim premiere, and watch 3-4 episodes a week as well as the movie. Here’s the plan:

September 3-9: Episodes 1-4
September 10-16: Episodes 5-8
September 17-23: Episodes 9-11
September 24-30: Episodes 12-15
October 1-7: Episodes 16-19
October 8-14: Episodes 20-23
October 15-21: Episodes 24-26
October 22-28: The Movie

Cowboy Bebop is available to stream on Hulu and Funimation. The movie isn’t available to stream anywhere, which is a huge pain, but I’m sure you can figure something out (or just skip it, it’s probably not that important and I’m not your dad!).

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Arist posted:

Cowboy Bebop is available to stream on Hulu and Funimation. The movie isn’t available to stream anywhere, which is a huge pain, but I’m sure you can figure something out (or just skip it, it’s probably not that important and I’m not your dad!).

Its also on adult swim and all episodes are free without requiring any login

https://www.adultswim.com/videos/cowboy-bebop

And yeah, the movie, while good, isn't really that important.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Sub or dub?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Whatever you prefer. I'm a dubliker and the dub is really good, but subs work too.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Arist posted:

At midnight on September 3, 2001, Cowboy Bebop first aired on U.S. television as part of the very first Adult Swim broadcast

gently caress, I'm old

I have definitely watched it again since it first aired but it's been a decade+, so I'm in. It will definitely be hard to only watch four episodes a week though.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Get everybody and their stuff together.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Sanguinia posted:

Get everybody and their stuff together.

Ok.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I remember trying to watch this like 12 years ago and fizzling out rather early for reasons I can't even remember.

Still have the opening on my phone though.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Nice, I've been meaning to actually watch this all at once, thanks for the excuse!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For the record, The Movie is available on Canadian Netflix, subtitles only.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Wait, poo poo, wrong franchise. May Tank! live eternal and the Netflix version be good.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zaphod42 posted:

Its also on adult swim and all episodes are free without requiring any login

https://www.adultswim.com/videos/cowboy-bebop

And yeah, the movie, while good, isn't really that important.

It seems like Adult Swim actually lost the rights since you posted this, since this now directs to the world's strangest 404 page.

Episode 1: "Asteroid Blues"

I was actually in the middle of watching this series for the first time when I noticed the anniversary of the Adult Swim premiere coming up and decided to post this thread, so I've seen the first several episodes pretty recently. That relative familiarity doesn't dull the impact of the premiere at all. There's an underlying sense running through this episode (and indeed, much of the series) that almost everything that happens to Spike is just one huge farce, and it's that attitude that makes the moments where Spike is actually affected by something all the more serious (as when Asimov's girlfriend gets lit up by a police blockade, vials of the drug spilling from her "pregnant" stomach). I'm not really one for this type of "cool," disaffected hero, but the show already understands that he can't take everything in stride or there's nothing for the audience to latch onto--even if it's right back into the same old routine at the end of the episode.

A good start, all things considered. What better introduction to this show's world than SPACE TIJUANA, right?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I love the fact that Asimov and his girlfriend are a not-so-subtle riff on Antonio Banderas and Selma Hayek in Desperado.

Watching dubbed I also really appreciate how natural a lot of the dialogue sounds. Less anime grandstanding and speechifying and more bickering about the food situation.

"You wouldn't really call it bell peppers and beef, would you?
"Yes I would."
"Well it's not!"
"It is when you're broke, okay?"

Just a lot of back and forth banter while Jet is trying to explain what is going on and failing to capture his audience of one.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Episode 2: "Stray Dog Strut"

A lotta fun stuff in this one. The debuts of both Ein and Big Shot, a target who Kirk Lazarus'd himself as a disguise, and Spike injecting himself into a strange series of malfeasances involving a dog--a bizarre situation played fully for laughs by the episode's ultimate refusal to clarify just what the hell was ever going on here. Shout out to the member of the three-man team trying to recover Ein poorly attempting to cover up his ignorance of how a dog whistle works: "Is it on? I can't hear it." "It's too high-pitched. Only animals can pick it up." "I knew that. I was testing you." Seriously, that exchange feels like it come out of a gag dub, not an actual show, and it's amazing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arist posted:

Seriously, that exchange feels like it come out of a gag dub, not an actual show, and it's amazing.

"Seems that way."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Arist posted:

Episode 2: "Stray Dog Strut"

A lotta fun stuff in this one. The debuts of both Ein and Big Shot, a target who Kirk Lazarus'd himself as a disguise, and Spike injecting himself into a strange series of malfeasances involving a dog--a bizarre situation played fully for laughs by the episode's ultimate refusal to clarify just what the hell was ever going on here. Shout out to the member of the three-man team trying to recover Ein poorly attempting to cover up his ignorance of how a dog whistle works: "Is it on? I can't hear it." "It's too high-pitched. Only animals can pick it up." "I knew that. I was testing you." Seriously, that exchange feels like it come out of a gag dub, not an actual show, and it's amazing.

Arc Hammer posted:

"Seems that way."
To this day I still say "seems that way" in the exact same tone as that one scientist in conversation whenever the opportunity comes up

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Arc Hammer posted:

I love the fact that Asimov and his girlfriend are a not-so-subtle riff on Antonio Banderas and Selma Hayek in Desperado.

Yeah absolutely.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

JT Jag posted:

To this day I still say "seems that way" in the exact same tone as that one scientist in conversation whenever the opportunity comes up

Lol same here.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I reminded of how much Firefly stole its entire oeuvre from this show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Firefly didn't have a Ducktales reference it is therefore inferior.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I reminded of how much Firefly stole its entire oeuvre from this show.

Don't forget the lady-in-a-suitcase taken directly from Outlaw Star!

To be fair, Bebop, Trigun and Outlaw Star all have a lot of overlapping style, (And the Trigun and Outlaw manga predate Bebop) and all of which also came from some other sci-fi before them.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 6, 2021

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't forget the lady-in-a-suitcase taken directly from Outlaw Star!

To be fair, Bebop, Trigun and Outlaw Star all have a lot of overlapping style, (And the Trigun and Outlaw manga predate Bebop) and all of which also came from some other sci-fi before them.

Back when Bebop was new, I recall a bunch of people saying how much of a knockoff of Lupin III it was. I never really saw the similarities myself, aside from "a main cast of four that usually ends up losing the big score at the end"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Bebop isn't a carbon copy of Lupin as in "these characters are just Lupin characters renamed" but it's a riff on Lupin, such that it really could not exist without Lupin having come first. Spike's not exactly Lupin and Jet's not exactly Jigen and Faye's not exactly Fujiko and Vicious isn't exactly (early, antagonistic) Goemon, and there's no Zenigata because the gang is on the side of the law, but the whole general vibe and how it is able to effortlessly include both charming, irreverent slapstick comedy and hardcore ultraviolent action thriller and have both feel like the same show is extremely Lupin.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Had a great time rewatching ep 1-3. It is shocking how much I've forgotten with time and the colourful use of music is just something else.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
God I love this show so much and I cannot wait for the Netflix version. The music, the semi-serialized episode structure, the characters, just all of it works amazingly and I treasure the memories of watching it on adult swim and then going out and spending $60 on each DVD.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have also rewatched 1-3 and had a good time. I have decided to use the dub, which I have never done with an anime before!

Faye Valentine really is like…..the perfect femme fatale name. God drat

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
IIRC Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (The Major in Ghost in the Shell SAC and Julia in Bebop) was recovering from a hospital stay when they were dubbing Cowboy Bebop so she spent more time around the office. Ended up being that she helped out a lot with the dubbing process by fine tuning the English script which is why a lot of the dialogue in the dub is more Tarantino "conversationalist" than the typical speeches and proclamations style of dubbing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Escobarbarian posted:

I have also rewatched 1-3 and had a good time. I have decided to use the dub, which I have never done with an anime before!

Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal Alchemist are probably the only two animes where I think the dub is superior.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bebop is about a lot of things but one I don't see discussed enough is how the world is used. It's essentially the inverse of most stories. Instead of the world changing by the actions of the protagonists, the show is instead about how the world changes on its own terms and the protagonists have to move through it or fall behind getting hung up on the past. The world doesn't care what happens to Spike, Jet, Faye, Ed, Ein or anyone. It'll still be there in one way or another long after we've all left it.

The solar system in Bebop has so much life and character to it. It's a mishmash of old and new and hundreds of cultures haphazardly slammed into one another by humanity's loss of cultural identity and history. So you've got stuff like the Eiffel Tower transplanted into Manhattan on Mars, or you've got old world ruins like Singapore that has been flooded out and people live in big pavilions above the water. Or you've got places like Morocco Street or Tijuana where old world cultures are a bit more pronounced, even if they're not quite accurate to the real thing. But everywhere you go there's people all trying to get by, and each of them are just as important and insignificant as the Bebop crew.

It's why I'm not too worried about the cast of the live action series being older. The world of Bebop isn't defined by the crew of the Bebop itself. It could be about anyone really, and most episodes are about randos and the time they cross paths with Spike et al. It's just the way the world works and people are defined by how they deal with the world, whether they find some peace or fall behind.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Spike no, that's not for eating

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What you don't swallow cigarette butts?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Arc Hammer posted:

Bebop is about a lot of things but one I don't see discussed enough is how the world is used. It's essentially the inverse of most stories. Instead of the world changing by the actions of the protagonists, the show is instead about how the world changes on its own terms and the protagonists have to move through it or fall behind getting hung up on the past. The world doesn't care what happens to Spike, Jet, Faye, Ed, Ein or anyone. It'll still be there in one way or another long after we've all left it.

The solar system in Bebop has so much life and character to it. It's a mishmash of old and new and hundreds of cultures haphazardly slammed into one another by humanity's loss of cultural identity and history. So you've got stuff like the Eiffel Tower transplanted into Manhattan on Mars, or you've got old world ruins like Singapore that has been flooded out and people live in big pavilions above the water. Or you've got places like Morocco Street or Tijuana where old world cultures are a bit more pronounced, even if they're not quite accurate to the real thing. But everywhere you go there's people all trying to get by, and each of them are just as important and insignificant as the Bebop crew.

It's why I'm not too worried about the cast of the live action series being older. The world of Bebop isn't defined by the crew of the Bebop itself. It could be about anyone really, and most episodes are about randos and the time they cross paths with Spike et al. It's just the way the world works and people are defined by how they deal with the world, whether they find some peace or fall behind.

100%. The setting is my favourite part of Bebop.

Music second favourite.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
My only problem with episode 3 is the conceit needed to put Faye and Spike together. Why would the Big Bad choose such an elaborate ploy when he could just have the courier deliver it to him without involving an indebted octogenarian with questionable loyalties? Like, you were willing to launch enough ordinance to rival a major war just to take out Faye, but weren't willing to just pay some goon to walk the chip to your office? Each of those missiles definitely cost more than whatever fee the Spike-look-a-like would have been paid...

Arc Hammer posted:

What you don't swallow cigarette butts?

He spit it back out. :colbert:

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

God I love this show so much and I cannot wait for the Netflix version. The music, the semi-serialized episode structure, the characters, just all of it works amazingly and I treasure the memories of watching it on adult swim and then going out and spending $60 on each DVD.

The bluray sells for ~$30USD new.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The bluray sells for ~$30USD new.

I've had the collectors editon blu ray for years now, but back in 2002 anime DVD were expensive as gently caress and you got 3 episodes per disc and you enjoyed the gently caress out of it or else

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

raditts posted:

Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal Alchemist are probably the only two animes where I think the dub is superior.
Baccano! imo

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I've had the collectors editon blu ray for years now, but back in 2002 anime DVD were expensive as gently caress and you got 3 episodes per disc and you enjoyed the gently caress out of it or else

I think that's still the case for many/most things. I just remember seeing this at Best Buy a few years ago on Bluray and it was $30 and I regretted not buying it until I remembered Jeffery Bezos exists in this timeline...

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

raditts posted:

I'll always respect the El Hazard OVAs because the writers clearly had the philosophy of 'It's okay to twist the translation in service of a joke.'

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
They're older because the series is revealed to take place after the finale of the anime and Spike survived :)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Everything is clearer now
Life is just a dream you know
That's never ending
I'm ascending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Arc Hammer posted:

Instead of the world changing by the actions of the protagonists, the show is instead about how the world changes on its own terms and the protagonists have to move through it or fall behind getting hung up on the past.

I've been trying to come up with a good summary of Bebop's' overarching themes, and I think you put it a lot better than I could. Every character-focused episode has fixation on/re-entanglement with the past as its narrative focus, and the two major character arcs over the course of the series culminate in a final confrontation with the need to put it all behind them. It's even present, though not as obvious, in Asteroid Blues- in retrospect, Asimov is trying to do the same thing Spike did and leave the syndicate life behind him, and the parallels between the two are probably not pleasant for Spike to think about.