Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

spike eat the eggs

He needed that egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
17 is one of my favourites but some people don't like it because it's so silly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Those people are wrong.

"Let's kick the beat!"

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Mushroom Samba is loving awesome, who dares not to like it?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
People who think the goofy moments in life aren't just as important as the dramatic ones.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

People who take themselves very seriously say they don't like Mushroom Samba, but they do. It's impossible not to. MUSHROOM HUNTING!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Arc Hammer posted:

I never found Ed leaving to be such a heartbreaking moment. If anything I found that whole segment really sweet and life affirming. Much as it hurts Jet and Spike that everyone else left them, it's a positive moment for Ed. If any of the Bebop crew could turn out alright in the end, it's her.

Now Faye running back to her past and only finding ruins and zero closure, that's depressing. Jet and Spike desperately trying to hide their feelings by stuffing their faces, that's depressing. But Ed will be okay.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

spike eat the eggs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj5zvVwAmQI

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

ed leaving legitimately upset me. especially because she was right, it was time to move on from the trio of misery. how many characters leave tv shows because they've outgrown the main characters.

mushroom samba sticks out in memory as one of the best episodes. definitely the best fun one. i love the chase scene.

i just watch ep 1 again, probably only my second time seeing it. i definitely liked it more because of foresight, i didn't really have any reaction to it the first time except for when the sad sax song plays near the end.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just watched Mushroom Samba and if they're actually doing this one in live-action like having Ada in the opening would suggest, that's really wild. Cannot imagine how they would try to adapt this, especially the chase scene and especially without Ed.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Arist posted:

Just watched Mushroom Samba and if they're actually doing this one in live-action like having Ada in the opening would suggest, that's really wild. Cannot imagine how they would try to adapt this, especially the chase scene and especially without Ed.

I just can't imagine how they wouldn't have Ed in the show... :sweatdrop:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
We want to be adult and not have an annoying kid around. This is serious business after all.

Anyways here's the episode where a bunch of mama's boys try to turn people into monkeys and heres the one where Spike fights Kareem Abdul-Jabbar for a super intelligent Corgi.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

We want to be adult and not have an annoying kid around. This is serious business after all.

Anyways here's the episode where a bunch of mama's boys try to turn people into monkeys and heres the one where Spike fights Kareem Abdul-Jabbar for a super intelligent Corgi.

Sorry, confused. Are you speculating that the show's removed Ed because it goes against some sort of grim dark tone they're going for?

They're not going for a grim dark tone.

I suspect it's either budget or casting -- I'm gonna just assume they couldn't find anyone that would work out in the role, so they've just decided to animate them or something equally bizarre.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

she's in it, they've said so. they just haven't included her in the promotional stuff up until now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

roomtone posted:

she's in it, they've said so. they just haven't included her in the promotional stuff up until now.

She is an anime! Calling it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been a little slow on the episodes lately, so I've got some catching up to do.

Session 17: Mushroom Samba

Besides the obvious, a subtle thing I like about this episode is how each character's hallucination reflects part of their character. Spike being a man who lives in dreams, not knowing whether he's alive or not, is on the stairway to heaven, and yet he's really going nowhere. Faye, woken up from a coma and thrown into the deep end and drowning in debt, ends up trying to swim to the surface. Jet, a man who is desperately lonely after people he cared about left him and doesn't want to lose his new friends, speaks to his plants.

It's funny, but it's also pretty sad.

I also think Jeff the cop with relationship troubles is a funny side character.

Session 18: Speak Like a Child

Aside from maybe Ganymede Elegy, I think this might be my absolute favourite episode of the whole show. It's just as funny as Mushroom Samba and the ending is such a massive sucker punch you'd have to be heartless not to get choked up a little. Spike and Jet on the most hellish side quest imaginable to find the last surviving Beta deck in existence, the collector watching the dregs of 90s soap operas, Spike's total caveman approach to old tech (watching him string out the tape and crush his cigarette butt into a deck like that elicited a pretty similar cringe as the collector, immediately followed by me laughing my rear end off.

Despite being an episode about old technology, it's also pretty forward thinking with literal drone mail deliveries. Giant, two tonne flying tank drones, but drones nonetheless.

Jet and Ed continue to have the best father daughter relationship. Jet is the only person Ed listens to intently and I love every scene they share.

Session 19: Wild Horses

Hey did you know that Shinichiro Watanabe directed Macross Plus? Because Shinichiro Watanabe really wants you to know that he directed Macross Plus. Dedicated to all pioneers.

This episode feels like a flex by the creators. Beyond being a very fun episode, there's a number of spots where it's pretty clear they wanted to show off, in animation, in writing and in presentation. There's a lot more digital animation compared to hand drawn cells in this episode, and barring one shot of the Astral Gate that looks like Babylon 5 season 1 levels of shockingly poor CGI, the whole episode is very nice to look at. In terms of writing, the scene with four or five different simultaneous conversations is another highlight. Doohan and his mechanic buddy, Spike and Faye, Spike and Jet, Ed and Faye, Jet and Faye, Spike and Doohan, with all the conversations interweaving and cutting over one another, complete with foley effects for echo is really impressive. Doing it for the show in Japanese would be tough enough, mimicking such a complex dialogue scene for the dub and having it work just as well is a major accomplishment.

And because it needs to be said, gently caress yes for the Space Shuttle Columbia. Even with the Columbia Disaster years after Bebop aired, it's great watching Doohan bring the old girl back to life and make her the big hero of the episode. Personally I think it works better that Doohan managed to recreate the shuttle and give it a proper send-off rather than leaving its legacy as a horrible tragedy. Much better than just him dragging it out of a museum. That final reveal when the whole hangar peels away and Miles tows Columbia out to the desert using a Sherman tank is awesome. All the aerospace fanatics must have had a blast making this episode. I had fun trying to pick out all the jets in Doohan's collection.

Jet getting increasingly deranged thanks to his wounded pride over the Bebop also had me rolling. Great episode.

With Pierrot Le Fou up next, this five episode stretch is probably the show running at its most consistent peak of quality. Complete banger episodes one after the other.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 8, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I...don't like Pierrot Le Fou. The episode never clicked, for me, and it requires far too many conceits to get the characters into the action.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have more to say on episodes but for now I found this cool video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VsgkIE-RHg

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm quite a bit behind but man, Speak Like a Child hits like a loving truck. I had already seen the ending before but it still had me welling up.

"Cheering for you... My only self."

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/netflixgeeked/status/1448060919595126787?s=21

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

That last shot of Ein. :allears:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Having just watched Pierrot Le Fou, I'm really interested if they are indeed adapting that episode. Not because anything about the episode itself makes sense for live-action, god no, it involves a magical obese man with the mind of a child who backflips into the sky, but because it's one of the only episodes where Spike is forced onto the back foot, one of the only episodes where he gets legitimately unnerved. It's a good episode to adapt because it very subtly gives you a good impression of who Spike is.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
He's there

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh, yeah, I know. It's theoretically possible that those are just like, recreations for the intro and they're not going to actually retell those episodes, is what I was trying to get at. I don't think that's terribly likely, but it's possible.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Not sure if this has been mentioned or is relevant to anyone here, but I thought it was cool that they got the original Japanese cast to do the live action dub!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That is neat. Be interesting to hear them dubbing live action. Anime dubbing is rather more performative but Bebop has a generally subdued voiceover style. Wait and see I guess.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Anyone who has done anime dubbing has also done live action dubbing because Japan loves to import American movies and tv, and now that Cowboy Bebop has become just another American tv show to import the process will be the same.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The United States posted:

Anyone who has done anime dubbing has also done live action dubbing because Japan loves to import American movies and tv, and now that Cowboy Bebop has become just another American tv show to import the process will be the same.

True but I've never watched a Japanese dub of an American project.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"Cowboy Funk" was just incredible, probably my new favorite episode.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arist posted:

"Cowboy Funk" was just incredible, probably my new favorite episode.

Cowboy Funk is great. Andy is such a goofball and I like Teddy getting more and more pissed off nobody takes him seriously.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Arc Hammer posted:

True but I've never watched a Japanese dub of an American project.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ7xoOtf2zs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YzpiqRT3D0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLdFKQOCY-E

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Session 20: Pierrot Le Fou

This episode's sound design is amazing. As a story it's so so, but the individual sequences are really cool, I love the colour palette, and it does a really good job blending CGI backgrounds with the 2D animation. This episode has a ton more digital painting than other episodes but it's really high quality stuff. Definitely an audiovisual treat.

A ways back I talked about how Spike only seems to be afraid of things that reflect his current existence. He's not afraid of Vicious, and Andy is more of a rival who pisses him off by being the ideal he wants to be. But people like Vincent or Tongpu are just like him, people who live in dreams unaware of the reality of their surroundings. And these two guys scare the poo poo out of Spike. He can move past who he was and envy who he isn't, but seeing who is *is* looking back at Spike with another person's eyes freaks him the gently caress out. So of course he runs headlong to confront this mirror to his own existence to see if he's really alive after all. And we get a killer action scene that looks like its taking notes from both Disneyland and Batman The Animated Series.

And it has probably the creepiest ending of any episode in the series. A psycho killer clown man reduced to a crying child unable to process being hurt and having traumatic memories come crashing into him all at once before being crushed by a Godzilla sized Goofy robot while the man he tried to murder just sits there with a gunshot certainly is an image to end on.

"I really hate amusement parks."

Session 21: Boogie Woogie Feng Shui

Oh hey, it's the bad episode. I mean seriously who the gently caress wrote this and figured that half the dialogue should be people making jokes that Jet is a pedophile or Jet himself making creepy comments like suggesting he pretend to be Meifa's 36 year old boyfriend?

Beyond that level of cringe it's also just absurd and poorly structured. Lots of Bebop episodes go "gently caress it, here's some stuff" but this one just does not work with Meifa saying a bunch of vague lines before coming to a snap conclusion while everyone else looks confused. Or how the episode stops dead in its tracks to explain what the gently caress Feng Shui even is so it at least makes a modicum of sense. Meifa also has a surprisingly poor voice actor considering the show's overall quality in that department. The ending is also oddly abrupt. Overall it's a mediocre episode, which by Bebop's standards makes it a pretty spectacular misfire.

Even so there are still parts of it that I like. The ending was abrupt, but it was nice that Meifa was able to get some closure with Pao before the end. I also enjoyed Spike and Jet's brief conversation in the kitchen where Faye makes some broad generalizations about men (and another jab at Jet being a creep going after teenagers) and Spike just humours her while knowing she's completely full of poo poo. The last thing I liked was that the two Syndicate thugs were literally just Jake and Elwood minus the Police Car.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I liked the kids running up to the dude Jet just knocked out and stealing his sunglasses

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They were on a mission from God, but they weren't very good at it.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i'm only on episode 8 of my rewatch and so far i'm having the same kind of reaction i remember having the first time around. as in, these episodes are all individually fine but none of them are particularly good. i just like the characters.

episode 8 waltz for venus is probably the best one of the first 8. everyone gets good stuff in that episode and it's both funny and sad. it's the idea i have in my head of a typical bebop episode, even though there isn't one really.

the version i'm watching has the voice cast do previews for the next episode, too and they're actually good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I feel like at least a few of the previews were improvised. They're fun.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I can't remember from way back in the Long Long Ago, but on my bluray copy Spike's eyes are the same color; but everyone keeps referring to his heterochromia and am I missing something?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I can't remember from way back in the Long Long Ago, but on my bluray copy Spike's eyes are the same color; but everyone keeps referring to his heterochromia and am I missing something?

They're not identical. His artificial eye is a duller brown in close up images and lacks the "shine" of his natural eye.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Arc Hammer posted:

They're not identical. His artificial eye is a duller brown in close up images and lacks the "shine" of his natural eye.

Okay, it always confused me in the PLF episode when he gets triggered by Spike's eyes reminding him of the cat...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Okay, it always confused me in the PLF episode when he gets triggered by Spike's eyes reminding him of the cat...

I thought it was the little robot cat that set off Pierrot considering he blew it to smithereens after it started meowing at him.

Or do you mean the little flash that trips him up right as Spike throws the knife?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn7UJf0erZc

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 15, 2021