Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Where does Ben Simmons play next year?
Boston Celtics
L.A. Lakers
L.A. Clippers
Golden State Warriors
Sacramento Kings
Minnesota Timberwolves
Utah Jazz
Indiana Pacers
Shanghai Sharks
Adelaide 36ers
Nippon Ham Fighters
Talk 'n' Text Tropang Texters
View Results

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm guessing the outcome will be something like:

Wait for Beal/Lillard to become available. Trade becomes likely a 3-4 team trade if Blazers/DC doesn't want Simmons with a team like MN/Warriors/maybe Sac throwing multiple future FRP to POR/DC as the main driver and landing Simmons.

Beal/Lillard are not available by, say, 2nd week of the season:
Fall back to Sac or maybe Indiana offer, string along MN and Warriors to get more picks for a future move. Houston might be telling Sac not to name anyone outside of Hield right now regardless.

I think like the Harden trade this probably doesn't happen for a while unless a superstar-tier guy starts throwing a fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Simmons has the 13th highest Ast/possession rate in the NBA, and while some of that is in transition most of it is because he is a terror moving towards the hoop and can open up a ton on offense. He's can also operate out of the perimeter or down low, and that makes him tough to guard on offense!

He also has a slightly higher usage rate than average, which is low for a star player but the idea that he never takes shots is flat out wrong.

He's also, like, mostly quiet and boring to the media? So I am not sure what drama he's going to be bringing with him. I think it's time to maybe not just tell the same 2 jokes about Simmons.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

He's had some monster games but I don't think people realized Hack-A-Ben could be a real thing until that series. So you're betting either that the rest of the league didn't take note or that Ben recognizes a flaw in his game and will come back and try to fix it.

He didn't really average all that many more free throws against Atlanta than he had the rest of the playoffs (like 6.5 per game vs 5.7 otherwise), or his first year in the playoffs (he averaged less on 18-19 for some reason). Like he shot for poo poo from the line for sure but it wasn't like that was the first time he'd been getting to the line in the playoffs.

I think hack a Ben wasn't tried because you don't send a guy who was shooting 6+ free throws a game at 70%+ (like his first playoff year) to the line intentionally. There's no reason to expect that had stretch of 7 games is more valid than the other 300 he's played.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Minny’s poop platter has just been upgraded

This actually hurts MN. If Portland was breaking things down MN giving an OK prospect and a decent contract + picks was more valuable to them than Philly. Portland wouldn't be interested in a straight Simmons for Dame swap, that would just make them a 10 seed or whatever.

That trade would have been something like McDaniels + Beasley + filler(maybe Balmaro) + 2 MN picks and 2 Philly picks to Portland, Dame to Philly, Simmons to MN (basically).

Guys posting stuff like that and then being traded 2 weeks later is pretty common though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

https://twitter.com/TomMoorePhilly/status/1438190781077000204

Philly is going to push it. Wait for someone to become available for the trade/3-way trade.

I think its probably smart because Philly is a 1st round exit if they replace Simmons with role players. But gunna be some fun early season drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

predicto posted:

“Not getting viable offers” to Presti means offers like 6 first round picks and 2 starters

But I probably wouldn’t trade him either There still is a chance he will get his head straight

That's why MN is still in the rumor mill. They don't really have too much to offer that Philly really wants. But they have stuff a rebuilding team would want (specifically picks). A rebuilding team prob isn't super interested in Simmons. That's why I think a 3 way is the most likely (if not MN, GSW or Sac).