Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Where does Ben Simmons play next year?
Boston Celtics
L.A. Lakers
L.A. Clippers
Golden State Warriors
Sacramento Kings
Minnesota Timberwolves
Utah Jazz
Indiana Pacers
Shanghai Sharks
Adelaide 36ers
Nippon Ham Fighters
Talk 'n' Text Tropang Texters
View Results

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Real talk, he should come to Sacramento. The Young Socialite can hop on a quick jet ride to hit up San Francisco or LA night life and during the work week he can just chill and thrive in a situation where the fanbase would be absolutely thrilled to get bounced in the first round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ben is a hero for taking Ben Shapiro to school

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

looooooooool
https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1432883432481230855?s=21

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's possible Fox can be obtained but every indication from the organization and the local beat writers is that Fox is not on the table and that Monte wants to put a star next to him, not just shuffle things around

The team is in no way a contender or even good but Monte doesn't seem very inclined to trade a very good player who actually wants to be in Sacramento for Young Socialite Ben Simmons

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I’m not thrilled with Mitchell but there is plenty of time in the backcourt to share with them given Tyrese’s versatility. And moving on from either of those two just because you have Davion Mitchell is a bad idea.

Haliburton is on a rookie deal which makes his value a lot higher than normal. He’s not as good as Simmons now but he’s cheaper and improving and doesn’t have massive holes in his game that requires specific roster building.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

you're not giving up on them just for fun or something you are using them to acquire a significantly better player than either of them

Simmons is a significantly better and more impactful defender, passer, and has better size and is a problem is transition. But the appeal for teams like GS, Sacramento, or Minnesota is putting him next to their core not to replace it.

Simmons is a complete non factor in the half court. If you replace Fox with Simmons, where does your half court offense come from? It’s not coming from Simmons or Holmes or Barnes or Hield, so you’re putting a lot of pressure on Haliburton to be a lead playmaker there which I thought everyone knew was not going to be his ticket to success. Replace Haliburton with Simmons and you’ve got a half court lineup with really bad spacing for Fox and no real secondary playmaker or grease guy unless you think Mitchell can step into that role. And the Kings don’t really have any assets to fill that out.

He’s a better player but his limitations mean you can’t just do a straight swap and assume the team comes out ahead.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

The trade said they wouldn't consider giving up either of them and not wanting to swap Haliburton for a genuine star level talent is insanely stupid. It's a lot easier to find guys who can make a jump shot to put around them than it is to find guys who can do everything Simmons does and at some point the team has to play defense too if they're going to be any good. Just refusing to budge from a core that probably tops out at like the tenth best team in the west is bizarre. It's not like you're breaking up a team that looks like it's on the verge of being a contender.

It’s not so much fretting about breaking up the core of a bad team, it’s that they really don’t have a good roster to put around Simmons if either Fox or Haliburton are out and little avenues left to do so. It’s a ton of money to commit and Simmons isn’t a player you can just put some low salary shooters around and think you’ve got a good team

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If you just toss the ball to Simmons in the half court and ask him to cook you’re going to end up with a cold Totinos party pizza

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sacramento got into a tizzy when Webber complained there was no good soul food here so I’m excited at the prospect of what would happen with Simmons

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If he doesn't shoot at all then he unlocks nothing no matter if he's on the perimeter or posting up or going to the hoop. Or if he just refuses to ask for the ball because he knows he'll get fouled. It's possible the Atlanta series/2021 playoffs was an aberration or outlier, but it is also just an extreme case of the same things that have always been dogging him since Jared Dudley called him out. It's possible that his numbers are in large part to the general light gameplaning and paying attention to on defense that generally plagues the regular season. I don't know why it took so long for the rest of the league to realize they didn't have to close out on Draymon Green in random games in January but I guess the regular season malaise and drudgery puts players recognition on autopilot in lowstakes games.

If Philly actually thought this was a blip and that he'll be back to shooting and play making at his previous rate come the start of the season I don't think they would been shopping him the way they have been.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 2, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

This is also probably true of Tyrese Haliburton.

The foul thing clearly got in his head against Atlanta this year but it's not true that Simmons just falls apart every year in the playoffs, he's had several monster playoff games.

He's had some monster games but I don't think people realized Hack-A-Ben could be a real thing until that series. So you're betting either that the rest of the league didn't take note or that Ben recognizes a flaw in his game and will come back and try to fix it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ben is a career sub 60% FT shooter he’s never been good from there but no one knew he could react like that

Also it’s hard for Atlanta to foul someone and send him to the line when he’s completely hiding on offense

Again, this really isn’t stuff that is that new with Ben. We’ve been on a continuous slide that started with begging him to shoot wide open 3s and then please take some jumpers to he’s not even wanting the ball because he’ll have to shoot FTs. The Atlanta series may be a blip but him refusing to take shots that he’s not comfortable with and letting that effect his game isn’t some new found hot take.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 2, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

:lol: Morey

He may still swing a nice return for Simmons but I love that every GM is taking the opportunity right now to tee off on him

quote:

The Warriors front office isn’t currently split on whether or not to accept a Ben Simmons trade offer from Philadelphia. There isn’t — and has never been — a realistic one on the table for them to discuss. Talks can’t be considered dead because they’ve never even really been alive, multiple sources confirm.

The Warriors were among the teams Daryl Morey called during his initial round of over-the-top inquiries. That came before the draft. As has been reported, he asked for a package of Andrew Wiggins, James Wiseman, the seventh and 14th picks and two future first-rounders. There was never bargaining. There was only a decline and a hang up.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

Kings should maybe worry about actually making the playoffs before they get hung up on what is going to happen when they get there

I don't think Simmons + Fox and Holmes and maybe Barnes if he isn't part of the deal is enough to get them to the playoffs and with Simmons and Fox's deals on the books and some picks changing hands you wouldn't really have a way to improve

Like, I know you're going to rightfully respond with a snarky remark about why would you watch the Kings but have you actually watched the Kings. There isn't much left on the team if you start stripping things out and Simmons isn't LeBron-lite to spackle over that

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 2, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

I have watched them, and the biggest thing currently holding them back is the thing Ben Simmons is the best at. Adding an all NBA player and arguably the best defensive player in the entire league gets them a whole lot closer to being a good team than farting around as a team that picks between 8-10 every year forever will. I think it definitely gets you into at least the same range as the Grizzles/Pelicans/Blazers for those last couple post season slots. It's a lot harder to find actual star players than it is to find role players to put around them. You would probably win fewer summer league championships though.

They can't play defense, correct. But their PPG is a mirage because they have a bland unimaginative system in the 4th quarter that boils down to clear out for Fox ISOs. Haliburton is the only one that attempts to add some dimension to it on broken plays and I'm very not sold on the idea of Simmons being able to point forward very effectively in the 4th quarter where the paint is packed because we have Fox and Holmes out there with him and Barnes is our only shooter. We'd have to become a significantly better defensive team and while Simmons is good I don't know how good we'd be with Holmes playing center and Barnes having to either chase wings around or guard 4s.

You can make Simmons a more credible threat in the 4th with some creative movement and passes but we wouldn't have the personnel to pull that off and being capped out and giving up future picks would make that pretty hard to do. Monte has been good at working the fringes but he hasn't demonstrated Morey's knack for finding plus starters in his couch cushions.

Simmons is a good player but there is a reason a lot of dire teams who need to do something aren't interested in breaking up the core they have to get him. His limitations and contract make him more of a super role/complimentary player than just get him and figure the rest out later guy.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

But would Ben be in Richuan's scoop shot slot?

Yep. I love Holmes but his offensive value comes entirely from making himself a dump off or roll option in that scoop shot range. You can maybe try to run a bunch of snug pick-and-rolls to try and make that work and don't really know how that would go

Now you could argue Simmons is better than Holmes so move on but not sure where or how we are going to find that perfect complimentary big for Simmons with a Richaun Holmes/Harrison Barnes package. Star players are harder to find than role player but the type of role player Ben really needs don't grow on trees.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 2, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

Yeah I kinda love that. They get to replace their defensive anchor and keep a ton of passing. Trading him is sacrilege though. I don't think you could do it without him asking

:lol: if you think a hedge fund jerk cares about stuff like that

Dejan Bimble posted:

I get your point. Having an all-nba player means you shouldn't worry about your solid starters fit. It's just an irritating thing to have to basically cross off the key offensive skill of the guy you just signed.

Ben just happens to be Mister In The Way. Like RD said, he really fits somewhere like Dallas where he could do his thing without taking anything away. Great players make it work, though, great players tell their teams various weaknesses "not today."

Yeah that's my problem with the Kings fit. We'd basically have to send some of our good stuff out to get him and what’s left really couldn’t let Simmons just do his own thing. You could ship out the pieces that don’t fit but at that point you’re building a team around Ben Simmons and I’d rather just tank instead

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 3, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

please oh please oh please let Simmons still be on the team for the first Philly home game
https://www.reddit.com/r/sixers/comments/ph4l07/exclusive_footage_ben_simmons_caught_on_camera/

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Everyone on that court looks like actors who are hired to pretend to play basketball in some CW teen drama

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Still tickled that Doc is continued to be seen as a highly sought after coach

quote:

"There are teams that are interested in Ben Simmons, they just don't want to pay the steep price," Pompey said during an appearance on 97.5 The Fanatic Monday morning. "Ben Simmons knows that, so they are saying why should we help the 76ers out when they feel like when Doc Rivers said what he said, nobody apologized, and Doc was never reprimanded."

Basically, Simmons feels slighted over Rivers' postgame comments. Although the veteran head coach defended the All-Star guard all season long, one questionable comment caused a rift in their relationship. Now, it seems Simmons is no longer open to working with Doc Rivers.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Minny’s poop platter has just been upgraded

quote:

Damian Lillard reaffirmed his commitment to the Portland Trail Blazers on Wednesday, seemingly bringing a temporary end to the speculation about his future with the franchise.

"Back for more… #RipCity is my city," the six-time All-Star wrote on Instagram, a little more than one month away from Portland's opener Oct. 20 against the Sacramento Kings.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

how small we talking? too small for a young socialite??

quote:

Brian Windhorst on Ben Simmons: I know of at least one other team who is a small market team that has made an offer and has a lot of interest and it just hasn’t gotten public yet

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ben Simmons has Orlando Magic written all over him

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Simmons channeling that "scream like I'm fighting for my soul against an army of biblical demons while I go up for an uncontested layup" Pau Gasol energy in that photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kendrick Perkins weighs in
https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNBA/status/1439318422953857031