Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favourite number
This poll is closed.
835 3 2.29%
2 14 10.69%
3,400,981 17 12.98%
11 19 14.50%
21 13 9.92%
7070 12 9.16%
58008 53 40.46%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

You shouldn't, though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cxzgwJ9ujw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

:chloe:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:chloe:

I like vtubers, but MST3K she ain't. Can't think of a worse way to watch a film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISQ8NbQZZRg

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

tom servo is a vtuber

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Infinitum posted:

Anime - Akira

Akira is mediocre.

But then my favorite anime is Wolf Children so my taste is probably suspect. Although I just learned one of the youtubers I watch has it as their favorite anime as well, so at least I'm not alone in liking it.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

My favorite anime is Trigun which probably proves I have no taste. It's a fun show though.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

why would it be mst3k aliens is good

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I think he just meant mst3k were good at making it fun to watch movies with them

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

agree to disagree

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Millennium Actress is the best anime movie

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Fifth Element is the best anime movie

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

oddium posted:

the thing owns

we already know you're friends with stux

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hwurmp posted:

The Fifth Element is the best anime movie

There's five of 'em now?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

would yall describe Nagoryuki as a black samurai vampire or a black vampire samurai?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Walla posted:

My favorite anime is Trigun which probably proves I have no taste. It's a fun show though.

i liked it. but it had an unsatisfying/rushed ending, iirc. never saw the movie that came out years later.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Akira is mediocrth

The level to which Akira was traditionally animated is insane.

It also does an incredibly good job of consolidating multiple volumes of story into a single film.
It has essentially influenced the landscape for decades.

If the movie genre is 'anime' the best movie is Akira.

Wolf Children, Millenium Actress, Summer Wars, Paprika, etc are great films - but Akira is the yardstick against which they are all compared.

The only other films that comes close on technical and influential levels are probably Ghost in the Shell and Nausicca.

Walla posted:

Trigun is my jam, but it's not a movie :v:

Still scratching my head why it hasn't had a Bluray release.

GlyphGryph posted:

I think he just meant mst3k were good at making it fun to watch movies with them

It's this. MST3K make watching bad movies great.

Just watch Space Mutiny and enjoy

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Kerrzhe posted:

would yall describe Nagoryuki as a black samurai vampire or a black vampire samurai?

vampire is more of an adjective than samurai

no justification just vibes

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Gaius Marius posted:

Millennium Actress is the best anime movie

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Infinitum posted:

It also does an incredibly good job of consolidating multiple volumes of story into a single film.
It has essentially influenced the landscape for decades.

If the movie genre is 'anime' the best movie is Akira.

Wolf Children, Millenium Actress, Summer Wars, Paprika, etc are great films - but Akira is the yardstick against which they are all compared.

it has incredible craftmanship, but i don't really love it as a movie beyond the beauty of the spectacle (which is good enough)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GlyphGryph posted:

Akira is mediocre.

But then my favorite anime is Wolf Children so my taste is probably suspect. Although I just learned one of the youtubers I watch has it as their favorite anime as well, so at least I'm not alone in liking it.

Akira is amazing but its not for everybody. I've seen it called "The quintessential anime" and that's totally bogus. Like Evangelion its weird and only appeals to certain audiences.

Anime - Cowboy Bebop, One Punch Man, My Hero Academia, JoJo's Bizzare Adventure, Every single Ghibli film

Infinitum posted:

The manga is absolutely bonkers insane detailed too, on a level with Berserk. And yeah, the movie is animated at times at full 24fps, "animated on ones", which is a LOT of work but looks super smooth and great. (Some people incorrectly say its the whole film, but its just action scenes)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Bartkira, on the other hand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SWt6OQ4Nl4

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i think perfect blue is my favorite Kon movie. but it's been nearly a decade since i've seen any of them.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ok I’m gonna cheat myself and install a 50% damage mod for the last sekiro boss fight

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

The only other films that comes close on technical and influential levels are probably Ghost in the Shell and Nausicca.

Wings of Honneamise as well.

The answer is still Akira :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rinkles posted:

i think perfect blue is my favorite Kon movie. but it's been nearly a decade since i've seen any of them.

Perfect Blue rules, but so does Paprika.

Tokyo Godfathers and Paranoia Agent are good but not as good as the above two.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Wings of Honneamise as well.

The answer is still Akira :v:

was it that influential? it seems pretty forgotten by time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Infinitum posted:

The thief and the cobbler is in there

Rinkles posted:

was it that influential? it seems pretty forgotten by time.

Akira? Final Fantasy 7 is literally Akira, for one.

Yeah it was massively influential.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Godzilla v Kong was great, and also the only good modern Godzilla movie.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

The thief and the cobbler is in there

Akira? Final Fantasy 7 is literally Akira, for one.

Yeah it was massively influential.

no lol, I meant Royal Space Force

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Akira as a work is compositionally and aesthetically beautiful. The direction is far far better than most anime movies. The motorcycle skid, the kill sat, the laser carving out Tetsuo's body. For a medium that doesn't have to worry about much of the real life nonsense real films have to worry about, it's very disturbing to me they fail so often at making the shots interesting. Hopefully people start looking to yuuasa's work more for inspiration instead of the dull and insipid works of studio ghibli

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rinkles posted:

no lol, I meant Royal Space Force

Oh duh. Well, if nothing else it helped Gainax become who they did so they could make Eva, which was def influential.

The guy who wrote the book Arrival was based on said it was "the single most impressive example of world building in books or film" so some people thought it was!

It probably influenced Ghibli to some extent too.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

developers need to stop ptuting the crosshair in fps games below center its so stupid and for some reason nearly all of the games thaht do it dont justgive you an option to fix it in a menu. some (hunt showdown ) it cannot be fixed at all. sopt it. its extremely bad!!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I spent the whole first time watching Akira wondering when the fact that the main dude and the main lady have the exact same face was going to come up but then it ended and I remembered it's was because anime

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

seem to havev passed out and woken up in the year 2005

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

Godzilla v Kong was great, and also the only good modern Godzilla movie.

I will not stand for this Shin Godzilla erasure.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Not a fan of how jittery that camera is tbh

ordinarily i would agree. but in the case of the raids 1 & 2 i think it really works because it puts you so deeply into the action. like it's impossible to forget that there's a person physically holding a camera right next to the people beating each other up. particularly the raid 2 is so heavily stylized that i think smoother camera work would make it feel more artificial

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I should probably watch it in original form because maybe the YouTube rip is exaggerating the issue, generally I am ok with shakycam when it's the camerperson trying to follow the action, it's only when I'm like "are they just shaking the camera while otherwise stationary lol" that i feel like there's an issue

Specifically this moment at 17s lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53w7WL_Q7bw&t=17s

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

an underrated anime movie is patema inverted

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Beat sekiro, easy game :cool:

Gonna write up my tepid takes tomorrow I think, please look forward to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Beat sekiro, easy game :cool:

Gonna write up my tepid takes tomorrow I think, please look forward to it

You did ring the bell so you weren't embarrassing yourself playing on easy mode?