Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favourite number
This poll is closed.
835 3 2.29%
2 14 10.69%
3,400,981 17 12.98%
11 19 14.50%
21 13 9.92%
7070 12 9.16%
58008 53 40.46%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Isn’t there a new monkey ball this month

I'm not hugely familiar with monkey ball but I think it's some sort of remix of the first few games rather than a "new" thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm generally tired of the pervasive negativity that surrounds a lot of video game discourse but goddamn I just cannot think of anything positive to say about Twelve Minutes. I'd say I enjoyed the first 30 minutes or so of playing it but everything after that was so godawful that it poisoned even that. What a complete waste of an interesting concept. A story that falls apart under even a moment's scrutiny shackled to a clunky and frankly weirdly unpolished game engine. The twist comes across as a student writer's desperate attempts to be transgressive but there seems to be no point to any of it - if the game is trying to impart any sort of message at all it's completely lost in the shitshow of an ending.

The worst game I have played all year.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

a rather predictable outcome for a game that seemed like sizzle reel filler for like the last four years or something

The big red flag for me prior to release was the voice cast suddenly changing to be Daisy Ridley, James McAvoy and Willem Dafoe. Given the "first take recorded into my phone in front of my bathroom mirror while in lockdown" energy they have I think they could safely have better spent that money on better animations or maybe some playtesters who could give them helpful feedback like "the player having to repeat an intricate series of steps every loop just to get back to a point where they can experiment/discover more loving sucks" and "this story is bad and dumb what are you doing?"

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Looper posted:

photorealism, motion capture, and facial capture are all bad and fail

turn your monitor on :grin:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I can't be bothered ranking right now as I'm ostensibly meant to be working but Deathstate is a super cool roguelike.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Gripweed posted:

drat, the Wii U is 20 years old today

Please do not scare me like this.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Booky posted:

is there fairy bread but instead of sprinkles u put like choco chipz or smth instead

Actually, yes - it's a Dutch thing called Hagelslag

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Former Human posted:

Apropos of nothing, I just had an Arma 2 video I made eleven years ago pulled from YouTube. It was auto-flagged for hate speech.

It used a WW2 mod, ergo German soldiers, ergo Nazis, ergo I'm a racist and the video must go.

Oh Google

Well, I certainly hope you learned your lesson.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Haven't finished it yet but suspect Psychonauts 2 is going to be an extremely strong contender for my game of the year. It's just so much drat fun :allears:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Walla posted:

Today is 9/11. 6 years ago today I decided to become sober and stop being a drunk. I've had the occasional drink in the past few years but nothing I regret, and I'm reasonably happy to be sober. I'm going to celebrate by making curry for dinner and playing FFVI.

Happy 9/11 everyone.

Congratulations, that's awesome.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Sorry, that sucks. Bruce looked like a rad cat.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

15 FPS was good enough for Starwing so it's good enough for me.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Turns out it's hard to make a game.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I stan the Pico-8, the best console that doesn't actually exist.

I'm gonna start a Pico-8 thread soon.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Someone made what is more or less a little Densha de Go game in Pico-8 and I cannot stop playing it, it is super goddamn relaxing. Plays in your browser. Drive a train through a chill little landscape with chill little music. Try and stop perfectly to pick up passengers or just... don't and enjoy the scenery and tunes.

I highly recommend it.

https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=41332

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Sep 15, 2021

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

It's my birthday!

Happy Birthday! :toot:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I just finished Wandersong

What a wonderful game.

It is intensely refreshing to play something so blisteringly committed to just being happy, and joyful, and kind, and telling you that everything will be okay, that good things are possible, and that you deserve to be loved.

I really needed to hear that today.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

A return to sassy witch posting

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Alright I kept my word and I've posted a PICO-8 thread. Come talk about PICO-8 with me and how great PICO-8 is.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

Godzilla v Kong was great, and also the only good modern Godzilla movie.

I will not stand for this Shin Godzilla erasure.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

tl;dr

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

So despite having played a bunch of them I've never actually finished a Metroid game. With Metroid Dread only like, 2 weeks out I figured I should correct that so I'm going to try and go through Zero Mission > Samus Returns > Super Metroid > Metroid Fusion before Dread releases. I'm currently playing Zero Mission, have just grabbed the Varia Suit and I'm heading back down into Norfair now to go explore some heat and acid filled locations! I'm loving it. The music, the atmosphere, the pixel art. All of it. I don't know what stopped me from finished Zero Mission the last time I picked it up years and years ago - probably just got distracted by something else - but it's been great.

It's bullshit that I'm at work and do not have designated Zero Mission breaks.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Catching up on the thread.

Muscle Tracer posted:

thank you for posting this. i am watching this right now and it is loving sick!

:hai:

Simone Magus posted:

god i really hate this stupid Rabbid avatar lmao

what should i avatar next

Go back to the somersaulting kitty, it was adorable. :3:

Also I swear someone posted a link to T Square - Traveler as a point about game music inspiration/plagiarism and I thought it was in this thread but I can't find it anywhere so now I feel like I'm going insane. Anyway, if it WAS someone in this thread thank you because I hadn't heard T Square before and now I'm listening to them to get through my work day and it owns.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Splatoon 3 is the squid game for me.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

"On my business card, I am a gamer. In my mind, I am a gamer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - John Nintendo, CEO of Nintendo

I miss Iwata. :smith:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

As I usually do when we’re doing video games video essay chat I’m going to recommend Jacob Geller who puts out thoughtful, interesting video essays that generally clock in at around 20 minutes.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The Outer Wilds DLC - Echoes of the Eye - drops in 3 and a half hours.

I won't be able to jump into it immediately because it's late here and I need to sleep but very keen to dive into it and see how it all fits in with the existing game! My wife has heard me gush about Outer Wilds at length but hasn't played it so maybe for this playthrough we can go through together.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I have too much milquetoast white noise posting inside me to be contained in a single forum.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

hello

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Yakuza 1-6 are 3D Kunio-kun games.

Kuniolikes.

Help Im Alive posted:

am I losing my mind Yakuza is a beat 'em up

:hai:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

Zelda is a Metroidvania

It's true, the LttP/Super Metroid randomiser works well for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

Ironically Sid Meier's Pirates! is a character action game.

It's wild that there's never been a proper successor to this game.