Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favourite number
This poll is closed.
835 3 2.29%
2 14 10.69%
3,400,981 17 12.98%
11 19 14.50%
21 13 9.92%
7070 12 9.16%
58008 53 40.46%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I just got a text that my stepsister is on her way to the hospital, she's gonna have her baby!

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I started the first DLC for Witcher 3, it’s a mundane side quest where I fight a mysterious sewer slime monster. Cool. Great. Awesome. I guess there’s this lady from the first game I get to go with? Y’all really hyped this poo poo for nothing, huh?

goddamn i love Witcher 3, of course I kill a giant frog that the dumbass locals made up stories about because Witcher is a big old homage to fairy tales, and then OF COURSE it turns out to actually be a Egyptian(?) prince that i disemboweled and then get arrested for by his soldiers and involved in shady bullshit to escape.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

My niece was born at 11 last night, 7 pounds and all good.

Woo woo!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Speaking of Yakuza LAD they got George Takei to voice one of the characters. It was a really good performance too, but it probably helps that they weren’t looking for celebrity clout and just wanted a good older Asian actor because they generally push a for that kinda thing in the dubs when possible.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

...I played through that whole game and it wasn't until this post that it clicked for me that Arukawa was Takei.

Tbh I only knew because him and Tang were in the Like A Dragon localization reveal trailer.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

raditts posted:

George Takei has probably had more roles as a voice actor than a screen actor in the last several decades.

Tbh every game I’ve played in the past few years except Horizon Zero Dawn either had British/European actors (Soulsborne, Witcher 3) or was a JRPG that wasn’t Sega’s money maker franchise so that’s a nice surprise.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Does it have a big gently caress off hammer I could use that makes the run 10 times harder than it needs to be?

hosed up opinion here, the Kirkhammer is peak Fashion Souls which is a 25% stat boost right there.

It’s a boost to your irl gaming skill by the way, cause you look really cool with it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

hatty posted:

Bad vibes ahead:

My Cat Bruce had to be put down tonight due to sudden heart failure

Gonna miss you buddy 9/11 never forget

He looks like a very good/goofy friend, condolences.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

What’s the term for that thing where you’re struggling on a boss fight or a puzzle for a long, long while, take a break out of frustration, and then easily ace it the next time you play?

Idk if there’s a word for it but it should be called gamer’s block imho since that’s what writers do I think. Like, “ I got my butt kicked by this boss and came back the next morning and got over my gamer’s block”?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Happy birthday!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Anybody read any good books lately? Or bad books, or mediocre books, or any books at all.

I’ve been reading the Witcher books. They’re really really good! I’m very slightly bummed that only the first two books in the series are the little vignettes I spent eighty hours doing in Witcher 3, but the main “Witcher Saga” part of the series is equally entertaining in its own way.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Man why didn't any of the pokemon gen 2 starters get mega evolutions, my boy feraligatr got done dirty

Idk man, Feraligatr is already an eight foot tall godzilla gator, at some point you just have to accept that you’re gilding the lily.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Robot Carnival was a weirdass series of short stories spanning different genres of anime and was really great to look at too. It’s something I don’t think I hear about in the context of other anime OVAs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JyR51psl15c

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

Bloodborne didn't need a sequel anyways

A remaster would be nice though, not gonna lie.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Remember when there was a Kids Next Door episode that was literally just The Second Renaissance

I looked up the The Second Renaissance and umm, from what remembered that’s literally the plot to that one episode with ash ketchum as a cameo huh.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Three Houses Maddening Difficulty trip report: it should’ve been called Frustrating Difficulty hehe

Some of what it does:
- experience point gain for all your guys is halved. This means you’ll have to focus on your core team from the very start of the game because xp is now in extremely limited supply
- enemies get inflated stats and some extra powerful passive abilities on top of what they had on Hard Difficulty. This means you have to micromanage your guys’ inventory because too much encumbrance means enemies will out-speed you and hit you twice with every attack
- new ambushes and reinforcements in missions. This means you have to do every mission at least twice, as not knowing where and when new enemies will spawn in guarantees that you ARE going to lose
- ambushes and reinforcements are now able to move and attack the same turn they spawn in. This means, see above

Here’s what I want: the option to turn some of the difficulty adjustments stuff off, Darkest Dungeon-style. Get on it, Switch modding community. Save this game

I’m not trying to champion Fire Emblem difficulties cause a lot of the higher ones are kinda jank and sometimes just bad but can’t you use the ingame save states for this until you run out? Except I think the mock battle which is really hard but even on Classic no one permadies.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

real fire emblem heads play on classic but then always restart when someone dies, anyways

because the point isn't to continue through the losses, it's to add a more stringent failure condition

Yeah, in the older games you could easily ironman and really it’s entirely possible to do in every game but even the Fire Emblem devs started making the games around the assumption that you’d savescum deaths with the kids/moms in awakening.

Not that ironmanning isn’t viable but it’s for better or worse (worse imho, just cut out the middleman and make house deaths a fail state if you’re gonna have school customization stuff) not how the 3H devs assume you’ll play.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Walla posted:

Awakening Hard Mode broke me from even attempting the harder difficulties. I just don't find same turn reinforcements fun at all, even if I do prefer to iron man the games.

I don’t mind them in some of the older games, like in Binding Blade it feels like they tried to avoid the most unfun parts that cause resets but Awakening’s are a special kind of bad.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Cool

To summarize for those unfamiliar with it, the Johnstown flood of 1889 was largely the result of a rich unionbuster deciding he wanted to have his own little private hunting and fishing area. He had a dam built to create a fishing area for him and his rich buddies but he didn't want to make sure the dam was well built or properly maintained so it ended up breaking down and destroying a lot of the city beneath. An inclined plane was built a couple years after the flood so that if there was ever any major flooding again, the rich folk would have a way to easily get out of the valley and return to their homes at the top. During the flood there was a massive blockage at the stone bridge/seven arches bridge where a lot of debris, floodwater, steel mill runoff, coal factory runoff, all kinds of factory waste tbh, and people both living and dead got caught and tangled together. It caught fire and there were definitely people who survived the flood only to be dragged into a tangle of flood debris and drowned or burned alive trapped underneath the bridge's arches.

Jesus, it really is true that whatever cartoonish mustache-twirling Saturday morning cartoon poo poo video games can come up with is less hosed than real life.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

I got the sixth and likely final part member in Talks of Arise last night. Now I have my full crew and I feel about halfway through the game. It’s really good but I wonder if putting the difficulty up a notch was a bad idea. I’m going around doing some quests and battles against bosses a level or two higher than me feel like absolute slogs that drain my supply of Life Bottles and Orange Gel. I can buy them both now fortunately but they are prohibitively expensive to grind for at the moment. I feel like the challenge would still be here even if I wasn’t being one-shot by a guy with 100k hp while I deal 40 with an attack.

It’s a pretty good game though, and keeps me coming back. I think there are some storytelling limitations with the engine where it frequently seems like all the cool societal upheaval stuff is going on offscreen while the party does a dungeon.

I know there are still mechanics that the game has yet to reveal to me which is always exciting. In contrast I played the Switch demo for Voice of Cards and was really bored by the lack of systems in play. Give me more gauges, more meters, more synergies. I love it all

The common consensus in the Tales thread is that the bosses are mostly half-baked, imho just play the normal fights on Hard and the bosses on Normal or even lower if you’re at the same level as them and having trouble.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I watch anime sometimes, that counts as wrestling right?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I played about 2 hours of spyro last night and was filled with childlike glee.

Screw this sunny flight level though, cannot fathom how to get all the barrels planes chests and arches in one run!

I barely even played the first/third games growing up smd the remaster made me feel this way, it’s seriously such a good platformer. The other two games are really good too but the first one is probably my favorite because of how straightforward it is, you just do some platforming and half the levels are bite-sized.

Iirc the flying is supposed to be noticeably worse than the old games but from what people say the trilogy’s quality as is was basically a small miracle given what the team had to work with.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m pretty goddamn terrible with people and especially flirting but it seems like she’s just being nice back to you since you’ve been such a pleasant and cool guy.

Speaking of, you’re a really nice lady.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

Danke!

i hope people do realize that my extreme reactions to negativity are just borne of how tired i am of negativity in life in general... everyone is just so miserable and pissy. in the past week, i've been screamed at 3 times by road rage people in situations where i didn't even do anything to endanger or inconvenience the other person... but was still called "a dumb motherfucker", "a loving human being" (despite being a girl? i guess my haircut is very androgynous but still), etc. and i do mean SCREAMED at. this one guy, i was just like "okay" and he goes "I'LL KICK YOUR loving rear end"

so yeah, it's like... drat people, can we just stop with all the double irony yet, can't we just be sincere and nice, just once

Hey, I’m sorry for assuming you were a guy and generally bringing you down even if it wasn’t intentional. I hope your week goes better cause it definitely doesn’t seem like you especially deserve it.