Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

But we're also really attracted to being part of a group and unity etc. Not sure how that works. Maybe absent an external enemy to focus your group on you turn inwards? Or a modern country is too big to count as a group, but then again half a modern country still is beyond monkey brain size by the same number of orders of magnitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

boop the snoot posted:

100%. But I don’t think people seek out anything good to give any balance to all of the negativity.

Even a 10-1 ratio of negative things ingested to positive would likely raise the mental health of a lot of people, but I’m afraid it’s doom and gloom all the time, especially since social media became the main battleground.

My point was you have to seek the good, while the bad is given to you without much choice.

Ten or fifteen years ago you could at least ignore bad news for a while if you wanted to.

opening a QCS thread to suggest Jeffrey add a bot that makes every 20th reply in CSPAM a random BYOB OP

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Man, it's so hard to combat this stuff too. We are trying to help fight this, and the organizers "WANT TO TAKE THE HIGH ROAD"

Like mother fucker, you think these people that are happy to get arrested for disrupting district business give a gently caress about decorum?

Give me a break, call these assholes out, one of them has a criminal record and has no business being involved in education, that should be on a loving billboard! Writing op-eds about the current administration without mentioning the pure cartoon villain evil schemes of the other group does gently caress all.

Amazingly enough, if we are able to defeat this, it's going to be because the boomers are coming out in droves against these dudes.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Ya know those investigative articles we get every so often about the hundreds of millions of dollars the Koch brothers spent?

This poo poo is the end result. The ring leader whipping up the crazies at the local school board? Probably funded by networks like the above specifically for the purpose of conquering his area with right wing talking points and ideas.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

shame on an IGA posted:

opening a QCS thread to suggest Jeffrey add a bot that makes every 20th reply in CSPAM a random BYOB OP

I would unironically would support something like this.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

facialimpediment posted:

When you're an idiot grifter, and the griftees are easy marks, every dollar spent on IT/security is a dollar not turned into Bitcoin.

To be fair, this also happens to a surprising amount at "real" companies. I've had to basically sneak in security fixes at times so that my name wouldn't end up getting associated with an inevitable hack at the company I'm working for.

Also some developers are just dumb or lazy and only know how to turn the crank to churn out things one way, without thinking them through. Set the default password to an empty string, what could go wrong?

The only reason basically every company but a small handful haven't been hacked in some way is just that no one's tried yet.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

bengy81 posted:

Man, it's so hard to combat this stuff too. We are trying to help fight this, and the organizers "WANT TO TAKE THE HIGH ROAD"

Like mother fucker, you think these people that are happy to get arrested for disrupting district business give a gently caress about decorum?

Give me a break, call these assholes out, one of them has a criminal record and has no business being involved in education, that should be on a loving billboard! Writing op-eds about the current administration without mentioning the pure cartoon villain evil schemes of the other group does gently caress all.

Amazingly enough, if we are able to defeat this, it's going to be because the boomers are coming out in droves against these dudes.
"They go low, we go high" is some bullshit brain poison that is crippling what passes for the left, especially since being nice doesn't get eyeballs (to further BtS's point). When it's my turn to be a speaker, I'm 100% mentioning that our local rear end in a top hat is funded by the Heritage Foundation and has been peddling his nonsense at school boards all over the area. He is not, in fact, a concerned local parent. Sorry, decorum fans.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

stealie72 posted:

"They go low, we go high" is some bullshit brain poison that is crippling what passes for the left, especially since being nice doesn't get eyeballs (to further BtS's point). When it's my turn to be a speaker, I'm 100% mentioning that our local rear end in a top hat is funded by the Heritage Foundation and has been peddling his nonsense at school boards all over the area. He is not, in fact, a concerned local parent. Sorry, decorum fans.

So amazingly it isn't the Greeley school board being taken over, it's one of the smaller weld school boards, which is half the problem, because the two fascists running are "concerned" local parents. Also they are breaking every single campaign rule, but the IRS and Secretary of State are so backed up they won't be able to do anything until sometime next year. So decorum is literally going to do nothing for us.

If you want a good example if white privilege, ultimately if they manage to sink the school district, I'm pretty sure we can pull out kids and put them in a different school district, I wish everybody had that option because they will absolutely destroy our district if they get control. Hell even if they get the signatures for the recall, it's gonna cost the district 100k, which sucks really bad because we have a tax levy and bond on the ballot and the fascists are telling people to vote against them because the district doesn't have our kids best interests in mind. It's kind of amazing when you think about it.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

boop the snoot posted:

I have a really messy theory that people are addicted to drama and unhappiness after years of being poisoned by reality tv, social media, and the media (particularly Fox News) leaning really hard into that drama and unhappiness.

I don’t think it’s simply confirmation bias. I think a whole helluva lot of people on both sides are genuinely happy being miserable.

This exact point is something I've been thinking about for most of this year. During this summer I realized that I had gotten out of a long funk that had been clouding me for the last few years, and was actually starting to feel happy again. At the same time, my nearly-compulsive desire to consume news and political twitter had gone down to zero. Well, almost zero. I wondered if perhaps I didn't feel the need to read about all of this drama and get mad about pending legislation because I was feeling better in general. Or, was it possible that my improved mood was a result of not paying attention to this stuff any more?

Unfortunately I haven't reached a good explanation for this, but I have to wonder if perhaps a lot of these conservatives who psychotically post online are doing so because they're just deeply unhappy people, and doomposting is how they get a dopamine hit. Even if we all log off from Twitter, is that empty feeling going to persist? Are we all just messy bitches addicted to drama and the spectacle?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

boop the snoot posted:

I would unironically would support something like this.

I'm going to give it a trial run in here, one per page for the rest of the day.

Shark Jesus?

Zil posted:

https://twitter.com/domo_ocam/status/1437517974374690825

Even if this is fake, I want to discuss the implementation of a shark based religion in at least this thread if not all of BYOB

Pros:

Sharks are cute
Sharks are smooth
Sharks attack floridaman

Cons:

Can be a bit of a meanie first thing in the morning, totally not a morning person
Kills people
Not all that great of a parent since most just ditch their young first chance they get
Doesn't like the color purple

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
The amount of support insane anti vax assholes are getting on Facebook is disturbing. I follow some old community pages in two places I used to live, and holy gently caress - all these dumb as gently caress nurses quitting their jobs because they're more willing to eat horse paste than get a vaccine, is crazy.

If I wasn't afraid of one of these psychos doxxing me, I'd troll them with schadenfreude pics of anti vaxxers who have died.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 30, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bored As gently caress posted:

If I wasn't afraid of one of these psychos doxxing me, I'd troll them with schadenfreude pics of anti vaxxers who have died.

Burner account my friend.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Have some more Boebert dirt.

https://www.salon.com/2021/09/30/lauren-boebert-hired-qanon-superfans-to-run-shooters-grill-staff-her-campaign-office/

Salon is so far up her rear end.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm going to give it a trial run in here, one per page for the rest of the day.

Shark Jesus?

The first 2 cons arent cons

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Lmbo
https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1443610552413130757?s=19

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

if only there were people in Congress who gave 1/10th of a gently caress that Salon does about her behavior and that time she aided a coup attempt

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Ok, replacement first two Shark con items

Cons:
  • intense "prison stare" can be off putting
  • they hug with their mouth

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 30, 2021

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Unfortunately I haven't reached a good explanation for this, but I have to wonder if perhaps a lot of these conservatives who psychotically post online are doing so because they're just deeply unhappy people, and doomposting is how they get a dopamine hit. Even if we all log off from Twitter, is that empty feeling going to persist? Are we all just messy bitches addicted to drama and the spectacle?

My big, weird moment last year was watching/reading about the massive pandemic surges, then leaving the house and looking at a completely different world. World completely ending per my monitors/phone - people keeping on keeping on in the outside air. I took up running to get fresh air and get the hell out of my gilded cage.

My guess is that it's mostly a toxic mix of boredom, easy communication accessibility, inability of people to admit when they're wrong, and urges to be the hero of their own stories.

A ton of anti-vaxxers have convinced themselves that they're the heroes, saving millions of lives from government chemical murder. Grifters tell them where to be and when, so school board meetings get flooded with out-of-district wingnuts "fighting the good fight". Villains that think they're the heroes, advocating mass death because they bought into randos on Facebook :v:

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 30, 2021

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/1443624277111148546?s=19

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Yeah, if tbi via secret microwave weapon was real, every black lives matter activist in the country would have been hit by it already. The only confirmed deployments of such weaponry is against US civilians

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System

quote:

Defense contractor Raytheon has developed a smaller version of the ADS, the Silent Guardian. This stripped-down model is primarily marketed for use by law enforcement agencies, the military and other security providers. The system is operated and aimed with a joystick and aiming screen. The device can be used for targets over 250 metres (820 ft) away,[14] and the beam has a power of 30 kilowatts.[55]

The Los Angeles County Jail installed the smaller-sized unit, under the name Assault Intervention Device, on the ceiling of the Pitchess Detention Center in 2014.[56]

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The right wing has had an organized and well-funded campaign destroying civil liberties and installing puppet governments since at least the fall of Rome.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/alaynatreene/status/1443643979216654340?s=19

Passed the Senate 65-35, so initial shutdown likely to be averted, debt ceiling coming up in three weeks. Secretary Yellen apparently cold-watered the platinum coin today, I'm hoping it's just because the White House wants to push Congress until the last possible minute.

Edit: Facey's Law of Lieutenant Colonels strikes again

https://twitter.com/arawnsley/status/1443639122166484993?s=19

I wonder what the chain of command says about being told via lawsuit that hydroxycloroquine and ivermectin should be allowed as workarounds for getting vaccines.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 30, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/arawnsley/status/1443639122166484993?s=19

I wonder what the chain of command says about being told via lawsuit that hydroxycloroquine and ivermectin should be allowed as workarounds for getting vaccines.

She's gonna lose and good luck to her career.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My favorite thing to point out is all these career officers were required to take the unapproved and sketchy rear end Anthrax Vax, but I'm sure that's coincidental.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

facialimpediment posted:

Passed the Senate 65-35, so initial shutdown likely to be averted, debt ceiling coming up in three weeks. Secretary Yellen apparently cold-watered the platinum coin today, I'm hoping it's just because the White House wants to push Congress until the last possible minute.

So what I don't get, is congress already authorizes spending bills and changes to tax code - ergo, they set the conditions for debt (or not lol), so why is there a limit in the first place?

Shouldn't the limit be tied to authorizations or CRs?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

TCD posted:

So what I don't get, is congress already authorizes spending bills and changes to tax code - ergo, they set the conditions for debt (or not lol), so why is there a limit in the first place?

Because it’s functionally a bludgeon the minority party can use against the majority party. Both sides have used it since the 80s IIRC.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

TCD posted:

Had a class with a former Congresswoman once and she said "Congress passes unconstitutional laws all the time." As the room kinda went silent and puzzled, she said "Who's going to challenge those laws?"

There's no law against Congress passing stupid laws that don't make sense. Old-timey conservatives used to love the line "unfunded mandates" - laws requiring you to spend/do X, but not actually giving you $X to do it. That's why the recent thing has been "suspending" the debt ceiling (not a thing), rather than just giving a number. And technically, the "extraordinary measures" (stealing from the TSP/501Ks) aren't exactly super-legal otherwise.

But each party wants to yell at the other party on the campaign trail for incurring debt in their policies, so none of the parties will outright defuse the big ol' bomb in the middle of the room. Or they yell at the White House to fix it.

Edit: https://twitter.com/greggiroux/status/1443663440153911299

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Best Friends posted:

Yeah, if tbi via secret microwave weapon was real, every black lives matter activist in the country would have been hit by it already. The only confirmed deployments of such weaponry is against US civilians

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System

So maybe it's not a microwave weapon. Couldn't it be something else?

People don't just start having TBI symptoms out of nowhere. It's not just CIA people, its diplomats and their families too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

People don't just start having TBI symptoms out of nowhere. It's not just CIA people, its diplomats and their families too.

Nobody seems to know what the gently caress is causing it, or if they do they aren't telling.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/AaronMehta/status/1443623597646417921?s=19

That statement doesn't give the warm and fuzzy you'd expect General

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I see some people have never heard about the all-female species of lizards.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Enjoy some Andy Ngo nonsense, courtesy of an official Popehat letter.

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1443664508740767758

Popehat's a legit first amendment lawyer, so he had some fun with it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
For some reason I'm conjuring up the Lionel Hutz reaction when Mr. Burns revealed his secret room full of high-priced lawyers.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WebbedFastBorer-mobile.mp4

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

Enjoy some Andy Ngo nonsense, courtesy of an official Popehat letter.

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1443664508740767758

Popehat's a legit first amendment lawyer, so he had some fun with it.

This is amazing. Holy gently caress I love a good legal beating.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

bengy81 posted:

I think you aren't too far off. I think people wan to be "involved" in whatever, so that they feel like they are doing something, and it totally plays to both sides, but I think it's either more effective or brash on the conservative side.
So we have the school board thing too, and I'm pretty sure the long game isn't about mask mandates, but changing curriculum and getting school choice vouchers. But mask mandates make the local idiots angry, so they stir them up, get them to support recalls and fascist candidates and then suddenly they have 4/5 of the seats on the school board.

Evangelicals have a particular cultural Thing about schoolboards and it's absolutely what you're describing here. Did you know that Evangelical churches weren't always as whackadoodle as they are now? There was a point in the 50s-70s when the more militant members of those churches banded together and got one another elected to the lowest leadership positions in the church - including the boards of Evangelical private schools. Those low-level wins allowed the early winners to work their way up and run for higher and higher positions, eventually culminating in a hard-right takeover at the higher levels. This victorious strategy has now been incorporated into the teachings of the faith itself, and is celebrated among modern Evangelicals. They - accurately - view low-level, local positions like school boards and election boards as the foundation of power, and pursuing them en masse at every opportunity in every area is key to victory against Godlessness in America. And if you can't win elections, scare the current board members or make their jobs so miserable that they quit, and then evangelical candidates can run unopposed.

School and election board positions are usually thankless, miserable jobs and it's pretty easy to troll people out of them. It's one of the things that scares me most about our immediate electoral future in combination with gerrymandering.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

West coast Sheephead fish are all female until the single male for the colony dies. Then the most senior female goes through a transition into the male form.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Nobody seems to know what the gently caress is causing it, or if they do they aren't telling.

It's all the coke and hookers.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So maybe it's not a microwave weapon. Couldn't it be something else?

The symptoms are not actually well proven bc there is no baseline data, there were no control groups in the studies and psychogenic origin is very much not off the table.

https://news.yahoo.com/secret-state-department-report-says-163054435.html

It would be kinda bad for international stability if the US diplomatic apparatus succumbed to paranoid mass hysteria.

e: this is the same report linked above, sorry, got confused about which of a couple threads I was in

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 30, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Time Crisis Actor posted:

This exact point is something I've been thinking about for most of this year. During this summer I realized that I had gotten out of a long funk that had been clouding me for the last few years, and was actually starting to feel happy again. At the same time, my nearly-compulsive desire to consume news and political twitter had gone down to zero. Well, almost zero. I wondered if perhaps I didn't feel the need to read about all of this drama and get mad about pending legislation because I was feeling better in general. Or, was it possible that my improved mood was a result of not paying attention to this stuff any more?

Cole and I were talking about this last night and it feels like there's something to it.
To that end, I'd like to invite you all to the Good Things Thread!
Let's be honest, we could all use a boost, so it's the thread to hit when you feel like it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3980789

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

aphid_licker posted:

The symptoms are not actually well proven bc there is no baseline data, there were no control groups in the studies and psychogenic origin is very much not off the table.

https://news.yahoo.com/secret-state-department-report-says-163054435.html

It would be kinda bad for international stability if the US diplomatic apparatus succumbed to paranoid mass hysteria.

e: this is the same report linked above, sorry, got confused about which of a couple threads I was in

Very true. I should've added "if there's even an it that's being caused in the first place and it isn't some weird psychogenic thing."