Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

BIG HEADLINE posted:

For some reason I'm conjuring up the Lionel Hutz reaction when Mr. Burns revealed his secret room full of high-priced lawyers.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WebbedFastBorer-mobile.mp4

hahahahahaha, literally this

"NO ONE expects... antifa with pricy lawyers!"

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Cole and I were talking about this last night and it feels like there's something to it.
To that end, I'd like to invite you all to the Good Things Thread!
Let's be honest, we could all use a boost, so it's the thread to hit when you feel like it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3980789

I hate how happy this makes me :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/ArmandDoma/status/1443337231700094978

:hmmyes:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/morroweric/status/1443628623576109065

Reminder that these people make the laws that govern our lives.

I promise that if you elect me, I'll make sure that no one can "slide into your DMs" by mandating that the Information Superhighway be repaved annually as to prevent users from skidding all over the place.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Kesper North posted:

Evangelicals have a particular cultural Thing about schoolboards and it's absolutely what you're describing here. Did you know that Evangelical churches weren't always as whackadoodle as they are now? There was a point in the 50s-70s when the more militant members of those churches banded together and got one another elected to the lowest leadership positions in the church - including the boards of Evangelical private schools. Those low-level wins allowed the early winners to work their way up and run for higher and higher positions, eventually culminating in a hard-right takeover at the higher levels. This victorious strategy has now been incorporated into the teachings of the faith itself, and is celebrated among modern Evangelicals. They - accurately - view low-level, local positions like school boards and election boards as the foundation of power, and pursuing them en masse at every opportunity in every area is key to victory against Godlessness in America. And if you can't win elections, scare the current board members or make their jobs so miserable that they quit, and then evangelical candidates can run unopposed.

School and election board positions are usually thankless, miserable jobs and it's pretty easy to troll people out of them. It's one of the things that scares me most about our immediate electoral future in combination with gerrymandering.

Seems like what America needs are fewer elections in general, and higher voter turn out.

Wonder why we won't get that. Hmm.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/morroweric/status/1443628623576109065

Reminder that these people make the laws that govern our lives.

I promise that if you elect me, I'll make sure that no one can "slide into your DMs" by mandating that the Information Superhighway be repaved annually as to prevent users from skidding all over the place.

I want to outlaw Chuck Lorre and make fade haircuts illegal for white people. We should work together.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

This is amazing. Holy gently caress I love a good legal beating.

Ngo is so toxic anybody that hires him is asking to lose all their revenue.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Hoo boy is hat man not a huge fan of the Canadian/British legal system wrt freedom of speech.

Fair criticisms though.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Kesper North posted:

I hate how happy this makes me :mad:

Just a thread to go post happy stuff that makes you happy

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

my fellow orbs, we have been ROBBED

Manifisto posted:

!!!

https://i.imgur.com/BqMCInP.mp4

:argh: new york times you will be hearing from our lawyer!!! the snails of summer shall have justice!

https://www.nytimes.com./2021/03/02/arts/mini-brands-supermarket-sweep.html

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1443662304642490374?s=19

English cops having a completely normal one fully attached to reality

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

aphid_licker posted:

The symptoms are not actually well proven bc there is no baseline data, there were no control groups in the studies and psychogenic origin is very much not off the table.

https://news.yahoo.com/secret-state-department-report-says-163054435.html

It would be kinda bad for international stability if the US diplomatic apparatus succumbed to paranoid mass hysteria.

e: this is the same report linked above, sorry, got confused about which of a couple threads I was in

There are two actual science reports I've read, this was the first one doing brain imaging studies, which is the only bit of this I've been taught enough to understand in detail, https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2738552

That has the wonderful sentence "The 2 control groups originally included 52 participants, but only 48 had neuroimaging data that were of sufficient quality to be included." MRI is tricky as hell and there's a reason a radiologist has to train for loving ages to be able to glean information off the scans.

and the newer one that's the commision report that I thought I'd have to pay for but it's available here,
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK566407/pdf/Bookshelf_NBK566407.pdf

I'd have a read of them, I'm going with mass hysteria as I have done previously. The conclusion section on the first one is hilarious "we've got no idea if people wanting to be spooks might have been thumped in the head when they were young or not" (it'd explain a lot).

The second one reads like a report style I've read many times where a bureaucracy has been told a thing has definately happened and it'd be politically expedient to find out why the thing we have no evidence for definately happened. So you cover every single base meaninglessly.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Hexyflexy posted:

The conclusion section on the first one is hilarious "we've got no idea if people wanting to be spooks might have been thumped in the head when they were young or not" (it'd explain a lot).

between contact sports as a kid and the military we've got a giant amount of people floating around the US with undiagnosed brain injuries

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Bored As gently caress posted:

This is amazing. Holy gently caress I love a good legal beating.

Goddamn, that was an awesome read.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Goddamn, that was an awesome read.

Get's better, apparently now Popehat is getting threatening phonecalls which he responded to as Popehat often does:

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1443691676527063052?s=20

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Come on, our Senators are smart enough to know that the Internet's not a big truck.

It's a series of tubes. That joke's old enough for a learner's permit :corsair::hf::dadjoke:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The thing that gets me about the "series of tubes" comment that got forever roasted is... It's actually a pretty good analogy imo.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

shame on an IGA posted:

my fellow orbs, we have been ROBBED

I'm a big fan of these byob intermissions.

Oooh it takes me back to 'yob of yore, it was such a chill place 15 years ago

Along with #blessed.jpg in gbs and the positive thread here, the cute thread in PYF is downright lovely

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 1, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Best Friends posted:

The thing that gets me about the "series of tubes" comment that got forever roasted is... It's actually a pretty good analogy imo.

Yeah I never really got the outrage over that one either.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Midjack posted:

Yeah I never really got the outrage over that one either.

He was speaking against net neutrality because his staff sent him an internet one day and it didn't get to him for a couple more days because it got jammed up in the tubes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Wingnut Ninja posted:

We regret to inform you that the fattest bear has a verified Parler account.

I'm ok with fat bear bilking chuds to buy more salmon

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It came from internet pedantics ("these are the people writing your tech laws!") and people latched on because they didn't wanna look dumb.

It also helped astroturf a lot of resistance to legislation designed to keep ISP's and data collection in check.

:thunk:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The dude said that too much content would clog up the internet. That’s dumb as hell.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Internet Wizard posted:

The dude said that too much content would clog up the internet. That’s dumb as hell.

Are we talking about a senator or Hideo Kojima?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/starsandstripes/status/1443717292823494670

quote:

It is unclear from the records whether the man was an actual practitioner of ninjutsu.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Are we talking about a senator or Hideo Kojima?

I wish Kojima was one my representatives, or as I would call him, Gerrymandered Snake.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Snake? SNAKE? SNAAAAAAAAKE?!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Proud Christian Mom posted:

between contact sports as a kid and the military we've got a giant amount of people floating around the US with undiagnosed brain injuries

I was knocked out for four hours by a car crash when I was a kid in 1994 and the standard of care was, I remember the dr's exact words vividly, "Son do you know where you are?" "*looks around room* Hostpital? *I check to make sure I have all 10 fingats*" "Yeah he's fine go get him some burgers"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I'm a big fan of these byob intermissions.

Oooh it takes me back to 'yob of yore, it was such a chill place 15 years ago

Along with #blessed.jpg in gbs and the positive thread here, the cute thread in PYF is downright lovely

I can't take all credit for the idea, there's a guy, Cytherial? who posts in the religionthread and iirc occasionally here who always includes a cute animal in his posts to lower the temperature.

And of course, we can't forget GiP's own late institution of sniper month. Pay the the man his dog tax or eat a box of sixer snacks.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 1, 2021

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Mr. Universe posted:

guy killed me with a sword Mal....

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Best Friends posted:

yeah but otoh gently caress Ted Stevens for like 100 other reasons. At the time most of us would've settled for anything that built public pressure to get his pilot's license yanked.

E: ehh gently caress I had him confused with Inhofe

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 1, 2021

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

shame on an IGA posted:

I was knocked out for four hours by a car crash when I was a kid in 1994 and the standard of care was, I remember the dr's exact words vividly, "Son do you know where you are?" "*looks around room* Hostpital? *I check to make sure I have all 10 fingats*" "Yeah he's fine go get him some burgers"

I'd kill for that standard of care now

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

My soup has malfunctioned?

shame on an IGA posted:

yeah but otoh gently caress Ted Stevens for like 100 other reasons. At the time most of us would've settled for anything that built public pressure to get his pilot's license yanked.

Yeah, gently caress Inhofe. I wish some people at the FAA had the stones to revoke his license after he landed on a closed runway.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

shame on an IGA posted:

Still, gently caress Ted Stevens for 100 other reasons. And the series of tubes because again, he was fighting to end net neutrality.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hexyflexy posted:

I'd have a read of them, I'm going with mass hysteria as I have done previously. The conclusion section on the first one is hilarious "we've got no idea if people wanting to be spooks might have been thumped in the head when they were young or not" (it'd explain a lot).

Oh boy would it ever

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

do not sleep on this story.

quote:

“Do you know who I am?” the ninja asked, to which the soldier replied no, according to the document.

“Do you know where my family is?” the black-clad man then asked. The staff sergeant again answered no.

lmao

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ted "the day y'all voted against drilling ANWR was the saddest day of my life" Stevens

actual quote

also getting reckt by a mall ninja still less embarrassing than that time NAS Lemoore didn't respond at all to a high speed pursuit that ended when the perp decapitated himself driving into an F-18 tailfin and the police chopper even landed and pronounced the guy before MPs showed up

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 1, 2021

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Yet another example of Navy SEALs attacking other SOF.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

shame on an IGA posted:

I actually didn't realize other folks survived Ted's personal run-in with the FAA.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

shame on an IGA posted:

Ted "the day y'all voted against drilling ANWR was the saddest day of my life" Stevens

actual quote

also getting reckt by a mall ninja still less embarrassing than that time NAS Lemoore didn't respond at all to a high speed pursuit that ended when the perp decapitated himself driving into an F-18 tailfin and the police chopper even landed and pronounced the guy before MPs showed up

All on video from the helo, including comms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1443773405988331522?s=20