Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This is fascinating! I've never heard of this game, and I'm hooked. (And speaking as a professional J-E translator, you're doing a great job.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

ivantod posted:

The joke here is mostly because the word for "slingshot" in Japanese is "pachinko", which is also used to refer to the popular pinball-like game!
And "chinko" means "dick"!

This is an amazing game. I always look forward to new updates. Keep up the great work!

e: Also, the "animals" are all pretty drat grotesque. Um, nice job, artists? :gonk:

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 10, 2021

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That, uh... that was quite the update. :stare: This first scenario has sure as hell whetted my appetite for the others, though! I can't wait to see what's next.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Really looking forward to the other routes now because that was one hell of an ending there.
It feels like one of those "bad endings" from old NES/SNES games that were just incomplete, leaving major plot questions unanswered because the makers wanted you to play again and not skip all the secret rooms or whatever. Which is pretty much what's going on here--presented as a starter scenario--but with a TON more content and plot available to explore (and answers, I hope).

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

ivantod posted:

To be honest, I don't think there's too much more here other than the game being a smartass for a bit. As far as I know (but if somebody knows more, please correct me), I don't think there are any special rules around dog names. I do think that most often you'll see them written in katakana, but I believe kanji names are not unheard of either. So I guess it's just this game being its whimsical self, nothing more.
I think it's less dog names and more to do with sumo, as you mentioned. Wrestlers often start out using their regular family names, but can choose or be given pretty fancy names as they move up the ranks, which I suppose would translate in-game to being able to use kanji in your fighters' names once they're near/at the top.

I continue to love this completely normal and totally ordinary game. Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Looks like it--and you can see a maneki neko next to it on the dresser. I suspect the red doll with the big head in the locker may be a kokeshi.

ivantod posted:

"Niko" comes from Japanese word "nikoniko" which means roughly "to do something with a smile" or something to that extent. On the other hand "Gera" is simply a Kansai dialect word for someone who smiles a lot. So I guess they all have names which have to do with smiling?
Yep! "Nikoniko" is like "all [sunny] smiles"; the smiley Burger Shop clerk in Mother 2 says "nikoniko" where her Earthbound equivalent says "(smile, smile)". And "geragera" is used for a loud guffaw. The word doesn't seem to be used for a smile, just a laugh, but I suppose it could be extrapolated out to a huge dopey and/or poo poo-eating grin.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

ivantod posted:

And when we are on topic of Japanese "onomatopeic" words, I should note that Linda in particular likes to use them in her speech, but of course this is not easy to convey in translation so that nuance kind of gets lost. As a good example, she refers to the "current mess" of murders and shuttle explosions that they find themselves in as このゴタゴタ. Also, when talking about her desire to experience a love triangle she describes it as ボロボロのドロドロ which I turned into "messy ugliness", but in retrospect, maybe that's not exactly the 100% accurate translation for that expression.
No, that's great! Your translations are fab as always. It's cool to find out that she talks in such a particular way; clearly the writers were keen to give her some rich characterization beyond the usual clichéd stuff you see in anime that is almost always bound to the speaker's age and gender.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Pladdicus posted:

just caught up, loving this lp.
I regret that I can only experience it for the first time once.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

ivantod posted:

In the cave, you might notice these things that look a bit like a poop emoji (except there was no poop emoji back in 1997, of course).
Shitposting (:haw:) midway through reading this update to say that the poop emoji did indeed make its debut in 1997! (It looked pretty different, though.)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Binged the thread over yesterday, and I can firmly say I have never had quite so many "....huh, well....that was....unexpected." moments from any other game. I'd heard about the game before, and that it was a bit of a ride, but I was not prepared for how much of one.
It just keeps going. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Holy potatoes, I continue to love this crazy-rear end totally ordinary game. Thank you again for showing it off. I'll miss it when it's gone!