Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
My great uncle was an awesome guy. He flew in the Pacific in WW2 and after that was an outdoorsman, professor, and paleontologist. But he also got me hooked on scifi around 4th or 5th grade, plugging me straight into Asimov, Brin, and Le Guin among others. When he died ~6 years ago, one of my cousins and I asked to take on his library of paperbacks rather than sending these to the garbage or library. These have been hanging out in the attic since then and now that it's time to move, I've got to address the collection.

As much as I'd love to undertake the task of absorbing this library myself, it simply isn't going to happen. Luckily, we've got a great local bookstore that'll happily take the bulk of the collection. But before saying goodbye to 50 lbs of books, I did want to take a moment to share the most easily accessible aspect of this small library - the coverart.

Now, my apologies that picture quality is gonna vary shot to shot and at best they'll be quickly taken phone cam shots. But nevertheless, there are some absolute gems from the late Golden Age and early New Wave that I think folks will enjoy. I'll be breaking these up into groups of 10 or so and will just be uploading and posting as they come. This will result in some collections being broken up which does irk me a little bit (but not enough to actually fix it). I hope you enjoy the absolutely nutty range of artists and art styles these books bring to the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 6, 2021

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

I swear, at one time I knew how to post images

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Is this the "judge a book by it's cover" thread? :v:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
beecock

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 7, 2021

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

This is the version I have! It's great. I hope we have some kind of revival in strange prog-rock-esque book cover art in the near future.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Gertrude Perkins posted:

This is the version I have! It's great. I hope we have some kind of revival in strange prog-rock-esque book cover art in the near future.

This is the version he gave me:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This is the kind of style I like.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I had to buy this off of a guy on French Ebay after seeing it posted on Twitter:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I like how Bilbos pants and hair and shoes are all seemingly made of the same material

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Bilbo le hobbit

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
These covers are amazing thank you for doing this!

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Sorry, a few lousy pics or uninspiring covers have snuck their way into the batch. Hope the cool ones make up for it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I have a bunch of those. But then, I am old.

You tossed Lucifer's Hammer into the recycling, I hope?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Selachian posted:

I have a bunch of those. But then, I am old.

You tossed Lucifer's Hammer into the recycling, I hope?

Our friend from the used book store went through the collection (more to post, just lazy) and we got $300 in store credit for what he took. The rest went to recycling. Wasn’t there to see what was worth keeping

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Yowza. My favorite so far. I also love the stained-glass-looking Heinlein covers – who was the artist for those?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Yowza. My favorite so far. I also love the stained-glass-looking Heinlein covers – who was the artist for those?

Gene Szafran.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 19, 2021

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Sorry for the periodic huge pics, harder to quickly timg from my phone when I'm throwing in an update on the fly.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's fine. Keep 'em coming! I'd forgotten how good those Earthsea covers are, and the one on A Canticle for Leibowitz might be the best I've seen for that book.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

When I read The Once and Future King, it was that edition. It's a pretty good book.

On an entirely separate note, I always wondered where Vonnegut came up with the name "Kilgore Trout". Thanks to this thread, I'm pretty sure I know now.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Meaty Ore posted:

When I read The Once and Future King, it was that edition. It's a pretty good book.

On an entirely separate note, I always wondered where Vonnegut came up with the name "Kilgore Trout". Thanks to this thread, I'm pretty sure I know now.

If you mean Venus on the Half Shell, then no -- PJF wrote that after Vonnegut had used Kilgore Trout in a few of his novels. PJF borrowed the name with Vonnegut's (reluctant) permission because he thought it would be funny to write a book by a fictional author.

At least according to Wikipedia, Trout's name was inspired by Theodore Sturgeon.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Selachian posted:

If you mean Venus on the Half Shell, then no -- PJF wrote that after Vonnegut had used Kilgore Trout in a few of his novels. PJF borrowed the name with Vonnegut's (reluctant) permission because he thought it would be funny to write a book by a fictional author.

At least according to Wikipedia, Trout's name was inspired by Theodore Sturgeon.

I actually was thinking of Theodore Sturgeon, given how his name appears on a number of the books posted; I figured the "Venus on the Half Shell" story was written under an assumed name as it appears nowhere else. Good to know my instincts were correct.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

The artist does nobody any favors but man, that lady

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

This is giving me real flashbacks to reading through my dad's endless shelves of sci-fi paperbacks that he kept expanding from second hand stores. Hell a lot of those are even the same covers I recall from nearly thirty years ago.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

That blurb! Uhh, high praise indeed.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 4, 2021

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
This might be my favorite set yet. poo poo like the blond Fonz and the book that's probably the finest novel of alien invasion ever written is really funny, but the covers for Flight of the Horse, Tau Zero, and Protector are just awesome pulp art.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 25, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This is the funniest yet.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Ccs posted:

“Probably…”

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Ccs posted:

Also, given that this was Niven that could be a puppeteer, but did not crack the cover on that one myself