Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

you put the die in a thing, then draw from a bag with 1/6 chance to be safe but lose vote... why they don't roll that die for the same exact odds?

the flint removal thing is intense!

there was a clue but the website wouldnt let me take a srceen shot. icecream minus something, head plus something?

Alliance ?
A+🦁 🦁

Was wondering the same thing about the die. There might be other things in that bag as the game goes on? Who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Khanstant posted:

there was a clue but the website wouldnt let me take a srceen shot. icecream minus something, head plus something?

Answer

day one alliance

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
haha she had the perfect near-find dialogue for her search near jeff's stump.

e: aw geez i got sara, hope she makes it through.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 23, 2021

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Brad? More like bad.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Tribal set looks rad

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
oh my god boston rob is hiding in the lookout tower you can see his shoes

e oh wow, so two people lost their vote but one guy won't even know until he finally goes to tribal!

e good first vote there's no last-minute walkaway trick this time, cool!

ahaha this messy second tribal is great! and oh poo poo jd doesnt even know he doesnt have a vote yet edit: oh i was wrong, he gets two

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 23, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Wild tribal

I really don't know and it doesn't feel like bullshit editing, it really feels live

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
if i were sara i thin ki might still dunk the dice

RIP. rule number one, the person i like off the bat always goes home first or early

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
:lol: at one tribal being 5-1 and this one being completely chaotic.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Shneak posted:

:lol: at one tribal being 5-1 and this one being completely chaotic.
But still 4-1-1? Did Shantel whisper Sarah’s name to JD? Unexpected.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
so did jd use his double vote to throw a rando vote at ricard or?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

so did jd use his double vote to throw a rando vote at ricard or?

I don't know who the hell did that but he put his vote in his pants

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
really bummed to see sara go, but i think this was a great premiere! they threw in a lot of twists and things but none of them rubbed me as annoying horse poo poo, they seem to offer interesting strategic choice potential?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Ricard and Shan voted for Sarah and Genie voted for Ricard? What the gently caress?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Shneak posted:

Ricard and Shan voted for Sarah and Genie voted for Ricard? What the gently caress?
Idol insurance I guess

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I liked the pastor and the rancher at first but I don't think the rancher is cut out for this pace and the pastor might get herself in trouble overplaying.

Thanks for the dice explanation I think I must have dozed through that part when it was presented on the show.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fast Luck posted:

Idol insurance I guess

yeah that makes sense

Great first episode I think. I was worried but this feels good so far

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I missed the first 20 minutes of the episode and I feel like I missed a lot. I'm going to watch it again tomorrow, I loving liked it, both tribal's were fun in their own ways

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

After a few years away i'm spending some (much needed) time with my parents and haven't seen a season in quite a while.

I really, really liked Jeff talking about how much Survivor means and how happy he is to have it again. Even happier to see them acknowledge that we're going through a loving plague right now.

I'm watching The Challenge right now, which I love dearly, and they're desperately trying to hide any mention of COVID (including have players leave the game off-screen)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly I prefer it when they don't hide away from these kinds of things. I like the show being a time capsule tbh.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Khanstant posted:

you put the die in a thing, then draw from a bag with 1/6 chance to be safe but lose vote... why they don't roll that die for the same exact odds?

I think the way they are doing it, the dice is basically meaningless. But having them draw a parchment to see if they are safe or not would allow multiple people to use it at the same tribal... And like are they allowed to give their Die to someone else?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fast Luck posted:

Why’d they ask the players about come on in guys anyway

If they think it’s suspect just change it, don’t put that on the players.

It's Jeff Probst, it's what he does. If there's a chance to create a dialog about a social issue on Survivor, Jeff is on that poo poo.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm watching The Challenge right now, which I love dearly, and they're desperately trying to hide any mention of COVID (including have players leave the game off-screen)

I did find it interesting, I don't mind it at all for the 1st episode to acknowledge Covid exists but it will be pretty lovely if it's every episode having discussion about the pandemic...

Was also quite a big contrast from Australian Survivor which basically made no mention of Covid. The only notion of it even being a thing is them filming the season in Australia.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Haven't watched Survivor in a few years and really enjoyed that first one, I liked them acknowledging covid instead of pretending it's just another normal season. The 'come on in guys' thing I liked at first, but when it got brought back up later I got the feeling they were going to change it regardless and wanted to make a thing about changing, it just felt kinda fake even if it was genuine. I like the dice as a last resort desperation thing, and having that potential for someone clearly doomed to turn things around even without a hidden idol will hopefully make something fun happen later. I just hope they don't have to show they used it before the votes, so if someone uses their dice and it turns out not to have been needed they can maintain the image of still having it.

Khanstant posted:

oh my god boston rob is hiding in the lookout tower you can see his shoes
I like this too, like you can spot possible twists coming if you're paying attention. Like knowing where the idol was hidden made that search so much funnier when she was literally leaning on it at one point.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
It's definitely easy to imagine the season spiraling out of control with dumb advantages, twists, ands gimmicks but I actually really like the die twist! Everyone knows about it, everyone has access to it, it benefits the minority and not the majority, and it encourages blindsides. It also means even the most obvious seeming vote won't be 100% locked in (to the viewers or the players!) until the votes are read.

The "giving up your vote" part makes it even more interesting. You could potentially have paranoid members of the majority ruining their own majority by each playing their own die. Also much harder to coordinate a successful vote split (especially on these small tribes) when you don't even know how many votes will be in the urn.

I think it's such a good twist that I don't know why they're overcomplicating the season by adding all this other junk. We had to have the simple Prisoner's Dilemma explained to us 6 times in the span of 10 minutes, but Jeff just briefly yada-yada's the rules of the die twist and didn't even fully explain it (do the scrolls get replenished as people draw them? do you have to reveal the scroll publicly regardless of what it says? can you play the "Safe" scroll on someone else?).

Why not keep it simple and just have one new well-explained twist that plays out the entire season? Having to account for potentially missing votes from just the die twist is interesting because everyone knows exactly how and why a vote may be missing. When you also have to factor in other extra/missing votes from other weird random twists that not everyone has full knowledge of then it starts getting harder to strategize around and follow the action. It's also gets unnecessarily confusing when it's not clear how the twists interact (if you play the die can you still cast your extra vote? what if you've already lost your vote from another twist?).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Keeping it to one new twist also means they could introduce the others in other seasons. Whereas it kinda feels like they’ve got twist blue balls from the year off and are chucking out all the ideas they had at once so the well thought out twist someone probably spent all year refining and which could become a new core element gets kinda tossed in.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Khanstant posted:

Zero chance of ambiguity if you roll the die and it falls off of the table or something, would be my guess.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheCenturion posted:

Zero chance of ambiguity if you roll the die and it falls off of the table or something, would be my guess.

Yeah I bet they started with the die and realized there were lots of potential problems.

It's really just a 1/6 totem/fetish for people to carry around and constantly think about in order to maximize paranoia.

I like it.

Also a season long "twist" and a single event advantage/player separation really aren't the same thing. With the increased pace of the game, I expect we'll see more events like that regularly. Whether it's too much, ehh, we'll see

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If it sticks around I bet it's replaced by a coin or some other kind of token pretty quickly.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Also if they roll the die you know that someone has to be there to verify it and hand them a vote. Even if they don't show it, it sort of breaks the illusion that they're alone in there.

This way it's all "self service" at least in appearance

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

I wasn't clear on if you could roll the die every tribal council or if it was a one time thing?

What happens if everyone uses their die and noone is safe/has a vote?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Overdrift posted:

I wasn't clear on if you could roll the die every tribal council or if it was a one time thing?

What happens if everyone uses their die and noone is safe/has a vote?

I think you put it in the thing and it's gone. One use only.

If no one has a vote, the mechanism is probably drawing rocks. There's always tiebreakers and things we don't learn about until and unless it matters

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Glad to see the show is back!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I like it; a constant paranoia generator, and a reminder that you're throwing the dice. But not a guarantee by any stretch.

I'd love to see HIIs go away completely, and be replaced by advantages. "This advantage gives you two draws if you choose to spend your emergency die. If you draw the 'safe' on your first draw, the bag will be reset, and you may draw again. If you draw 'safe' a second time, you may bank that 'safe' and play it, only on yourself, at any tribe council until there are only six players in the game.'

Or a second die; you can only spend one die per TC. You may transfer this die to another player.

Or assignable penalties. "You may spend this token to give a player of your choice disadvantage in the next challenge. This token must be played at the challenge, in the open." So you can hamper a rival, but there will be consequences.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

My partner and I thought we were all smug with our triangle answer, but I guess we were way off on our guess (31) and the real answer according to reddit is 51

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Overdrift posted:

My partner and I thought we were all smug with our triangle answer, but I guess we were way off on our guess (31) and the real answer according to reddit is 51

Both tribes were smart to not take that one, the triangle puzzle is a nightmare especially if you're already overwhelmed by a new place and tired from a day of rowing.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Looks like it was well received by some of the Australian Survivor folks but I just want to submit that I hate the “backstory” sob story edits. I might be crazy but I feel like that’s new or uncommon for American Survivor and it makes the show feel like America’s Got Talent.

I liked “here’s a bunch of strangers, what you’re going to know about them is what they do starting now, unless they share stuff on the island”.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
just caught up and watched the episode. not unclipping the boat was top tier poo poo. I gotta say, I'm rooting for dollar store Howard Stern the most and I can't really explain why. I just like the cut of his jib

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

barnold posted:

just caught up and watched the episode. not unclipping the boat was top tier poo poo. I gotta say, I'm rooting for dollar store Howard Stern the most and I can't really explain why. I just like the cut of his jib

The rancher?

He seems like a gormless doofus to me so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

The Bloop posted:

He seems like a gormless doofus to me so far

that's why he's dollar store howard stern to me (that and his looks). I think it was his no bullshit "it's sara or shan" right to their faces lol