Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
DUSTIN VS BLACK 26 18.31%
HAYTER VS RUBY 27 19.01%
PINNACLE VS DARK ORDER 7 4.93%
HOBBS VS DANTE 48 33.80%
MOX VS SUZUKI 34 23.94%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
The only thing I was disappointed with was that Mox and Suzuki didn't get more time, beyond that I enjoyed the show :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

roomtone posted:

i find it weird that jamie hayter has just been there to take pins for
britt so far though

She's had what, 2 or 3 matches since she came back, with this being the only one where she ate a pinfall loss? :confused:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Offensive raps aside, Caster and Bowens look like a million bucks, and once they get some more seasoning they're gonna be huge stars in the tag division.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Lid posted:

As will be pointed out the highest rated segment or second highest rated segment each week tends to involve the women. Riho was one of the biggest draws in early AEW, Britt Baker is a draw, Thudner Rosa is a draw... whether we could discuss the ratings AEW's huge lack is women watchers which the solution is more women, more Jungle Boy, and more HOOK.

Didn't someone post something a while back that showed Penelope Ford had really good ratings for the segments/matches she'd been in recently?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
So what I'm gathering is that AEW definitely should or shouldn't expand their TV time, but that people also don't want to watch their YT shows, to see the talent that doesn't get TV time because right now they only have 3 hours on TV, but also that they shouldn't have to watch those shows which are currently completely optional, but also they shouldn't relegate people to those shows, which they do because they only have 3 hours of TV, and that BBT doesn't know what he's doing because the women's division isn't getting enough love even though they've been very prominently featured in recent weeks on TV

Did I miss anything

E: oh and also Britt Baker drinking with with Jericho and talking to BBT apparently translates to "drunk on the job"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Wezlar posted:

I don't think coconono was making a serious statement about Dr Britt Bakers character but if you're going into your bosses office drunk to talk about work in what way are you not drunk on the job?!

I just have a hard time picturing Britt Baker tanked to the gills and rolling into BBT's office to demand he not nix spots in her match, so I'm going to assume that it's an anecdote that was exaggerated for comedic effect

Now, Jericho doing that? Absolutely

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Gaz-L posted:

I like cake. I would not like cake every single day for every single meal and between meals. That would be not enjoyable and very bad for me. 'thing good' =/= 'more thing better'

Going to skip the food analogy entirely and just outright say this is silly. AEW is putting on good pro wrestling. Another televised hour of AEW TV is another hour of televised good pro wrestling. It's not WWE making GBS threads out three hours of content nobody wants to watch because USA demanded it, and it's not "every single day for every single meal and between meals", for gently caress's sake. I swear to Christ, I think some of you guys would find a way to complain about a pay raise.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Gaz-L posted:

Uhhhh it IS USA demanding 3 hours. Turner wanted Dynamite to be 3 hours and Tony split it to a 2nd show.

And if we're skipping the analogy: I like wrestling. I also like OTHER THINGS. I would like there to be time for me to do OTHER things and not so much wrestling I get sick of it and start to not enjoy it.

Do you seriously think I didn't know that USA is demanding that? That was my entire point: TNT isn't demanding AEW farts out unwatchably bad content the way USA did for WWE. So claiming that because WWE is poo poo because they have too much TV, therefore AEW would be just as bad, is silly.

Also if three or four hours of wrestling a week*, with maybe a couple more if you watch the YT shows, is just too drat much wrestling, then I dunno what to tell you except that you're not compelled to watch anything you don't want to watch.

E: this is assuming you're only watching AEW of course. I mean, I watch AEW and just started checking out Impact again so I get a little more than that, but I also stay at home most of the time outside of work because the pandemic hasn't gone away despite people wishing it would, so I have time to catch up on it

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Alaois posted:

i was chasing the tail of this argument for a bit but now i've completely lost it

It's basically AEW is dead, because one day BBT will introduce another hour of AEW programming somewhere, and that will be the last straw for the overburdened AEW fans. RIP.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Gaz-L posted:

I thought it was that AEW will win the war on sleep by producing 24hrs of content a day that is all important and riveting and oversaturation isn't real.

Thank goodness there's a middle ground between "their current 3 hours of TV, with the YT shows and various wrestler vlogs being totally optional", and "24 hours of content a day that is all important and riveting". Like, say, adding an additional hour, which is all that anyone brought up in the first place.

I mean, I don't know why one more hour of AEW TV should be the tipping point that turns BBT into VKM in terms of making AEW unwatchable garbage, but different strokes and all that :shrug:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

TriffTshngo posted:

just watch dark u fuckin nerds lmao

Seriously, Dark and Elevation are so good, and a lot of that is because the commentary teams are loving great. Taz/Excalibur and Tony/Eddie/Tall Paul are all entertaining as hell.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

IcePhoenix posted:

I like that Fite just straight up skipped the commercials so I could finish my AEW watching in 2 hours and 45 minutes instead of the dreaded three hours

Meanwhile I'm watching on Sling like Captain America trapped under ice here, just watching time pass by in a glacial pace

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

El Generico posted:

"Fancy like applebees" would be a terrific burn on someone

You could really hury Iggy Azalea's feelings with that one

I looked it up and apparently it's a TikTok song that Applebee's decided to use for commercials, and the lyrics are sung from the perspective of a guy who usually takes his girl to Wendy's but when he gets paid then he gets all "fancy" and takes her to Applebee's. So it's basically a self-own in song format from start to finish

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
It reminds me of the time I asked a lady out on a date and there was a nice bistro/pub-style place I wanted to check out, so I asked her where she wanted to go over text and she replied "apple bee's". I ended up talking her into going to the other place instead, but the lack of fanciness I showed on that date night has shamed me forever more :smith:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
E: ^^^^:argh:

yea ok posted:

oo yea we fancy like apple beeees on a late night

yeah we bougie like Natty* in the styrofoam

(*Natty Light, not Natty Neidhart)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Orange Carlisle posted:

Best part is that it started out poking fun of what rednecks actually think is fancy and not only was it a huge hit but now applebees is paying him to dunk on themselves

I do have to wonder why they made sure to cut out the part about Wendy's but not the bit about drinking Natural Light in a styrofoam cup

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
As someone who was a kid during the 1980s and is a big fan of the 1980s Miami Vice aesthetic, and who loves synthwave/retrowave/darkwave/etc., I'm instantly a fan of The Outrunners :c00l:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
I hadn't seen any of Andrade's work in WWE, so between that banger of a match he had with PAC and his making sure the kid was OK and offering to send him a shirt, I'm rapidly becoming a fan. :)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Orange Carlisle posted:

TK knows what he's doing - Punk has reportedly already paid for himself, Danielson will soon enough just through buys and brand awareness jumps and Big Paul has multiple roles that he contributes to the company outside of the ring - all of these big signings bring huge value and it's gonna be fine

Its funny when people online act like Tony is some money mark off the street that has never run the talent portion of an organization before when the dudes been crunching sports numbers for a decade

Plus he doesn't have the additional costs involved with running a house show circuit, they just run Dynamite and the other TV tapings (and the occasional live Rampage) and PPV.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Bright Future posted:

I would really like to see the Iconics picked up by aew.

Very much :same: here

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
What's Shaun Ricker/Eli Drake doing, languishing in NXT I believe? Wait for him to get cut and pair him and Cage up again as The Natural Selection. Ricker is pretty drat good on the mic and he can make up for Cage's deficiencies in that dept.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

lol, more gold from the Young Bucks autobiography:

Fairly early in their career, after they'd established themselves in PWG, Marty Janetty got them a spot on a WWE show as extras. He'd spoken highly of them to Shawn Michaels, who in turn tried to get Johnny Ace to sign them up or at least give them a good showcase.

Johnny Ace pushed them off to Smackdown tapings on the next day, where Shawn wasn't wrestling and thus couldn't stick up for them, and decided to just completely ghost them at Smackdown and literally walked away from the conversation as they were trying to say hello. So, if Johnny Ace wasn't a world class shithead, the Bucks might have been WWE lifers from around 2007 onwards because that was their childhood dream, but because he had to big time them, they went off to Japan and later to AEW.

It's just loving hilarious how the modern history of the WWE is a history of comical own goals one after another.

Now let's be fair: Johnny Ace had likely just received a notification that his latest batch of "female modeling catalogs" had arrived, and he had to hurry up and find some new bleached blondes for Vince to drool over.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
At the risk of sounding all Pollyanna-esque here but as of right now there really isn't anything about AEW I don't like. Even when I was grumbling about the Max Caster rap (we all know the specific one), it was mainly because dude very clearly has "money" written all over him, and I think a lot of us feel he's capable of better than that, as opposed to "this guy stinks, get him off my TV".

And I won't cry if Johnny Gargano ends up in AEW, as long as The IIconics/IInspiration also get signed :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

a cyborg mug posted:

Remember when WWE told Fox or the other network that they didn’t want CM Punk, actually, because he’s difficult to work with

It was Fox, and let's not forget the best part of that: Fox contacted WWE, said "why don't you make Punk an offer so he won't go to AEW and TNT". WWE replied that Punk wanted more money than they were willing to pay. Fox goes "OK, no problem, we'll give you money to sign him", at which point WWE came back with the whole "oh he's too difficult to work with" bullshit.

So WWE turned down money from their broadcast TV partner, because they knew Punk was never going to go along with their corporate cultist bullshit. This is a company that accepted money from goddamn Saudi Arabia. But they wouldn't work with CM Punk.

E: and (outside of a major reshuffling of the Fox TV network's hierarchy) you can bet your rear end that Fox execs are going to remember that once the contract is up and negotiation time begins, that WWE willingly let a guy go to their competition and pop big TV ratings and media buzz for them, just because he was "too difficult" to work with.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 15, 2021