Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I like cards and ghost rider so why not ghost rider using cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Chairchucker posted:

Apparently it's not the Nick Cage Ghost Rider, it's some other Ghost Rider but I don't really know comics and also I never saw either of the movies so I don't know what the difference is.

Robbie Reyes is a kid from LA struggling to make ends meet while taking care of his special needs brother until he finds a Dodge Charger haunted by a ghost that promises him power in exchange for sharing a body

so think less motorcycles more fast and furious but with satan

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think the salient point is that deckbuilding games are about reducing the mitigating randomness and remaining effective. Like if you get a hand full of poo poo you can't use 90% of the time that's less on RNG and more on you

There also seems to be a redraw mechanic.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Deadpool has fought Dracula and married a succubus who was Queen of a literal underground Monster City I think he fits the game

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
crossposting from the comics game thread because I feel like everyone needs to know : According to Jake Solomon he fought for there to be a pool in the game since he grew up reading X-Men omics and considers "hanging out in swimsuits" a quintessential part of the superhero team experience

And you know what? He's right.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
tbf upgrading, crafting, and training are in like every modern video game these days

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

LuckyCat posted:

Are y'all playing this because you're a Marvel fan, an XCOM/genre fan, or both?

For me it's both

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

cant cook creole bream posted:

I love this game so far. But it's kind of weird how Magik is objectively the best character in every way.

No, no, that checks out.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
oh my god the photo mode

game owns

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pirate Jet posted:

So far this game has really good gameplay but is otherwise a reminder of how the MCU has poisoned even Marvel itself.

What's even that mcu about it?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Do side missions disappear if you go do a story mission?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Shrecknet posted:

love to wander the grounds, scrounging for reagents

very fun and heroic

All of that is totally optional and you don't really need to engage with it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
unlocked a hero op named "Into the Spider-Hearse"

someone really just wanted to use that pun any way they could huh

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I took Ghost Rider to the THREAT room and hey did you know when you level up your friendship with Robbie you get temporary max HP every time your soul meter fills up?

Ended the run with a 500 HP Ghost Rider.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I ended up going up with female Hunter because her voice actress is black and that gave me a good reason to use all the surprisingly good black hair options in the game

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Tom Tucker posted:

From the moment I saw the Caretaker I immediately felt “this is all your fault somehow and you’re hiding it”. Every interaction I’ve had with her has only reaffirmed this first impression.

Yeah the emo kids storyline makes this very clear I feel

Dawgstar posted:

Do Lilith and Caretaker's appearances change according to the Hunter's race? That would be neat.

Unrelated, my god Nico you had Hunter watch The Room? You are cool and good and my friend. My level two friend!

nope

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 6, 2022

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think the funniest dialogue I've seen so far is this bit where Robbie's asking you for help with someone who keeps harassing him in online games - someone with gamertags that make it incredibly obvious its the Hunter with screennames like "Bach4Life" and "Momslayer" - and the dark answer has the Hunter immediately blurt out "It was Parker" and proceed to convince Robbie that Peter is playing some kind of elaborate trolling mindgame with him.

Just top notch stuff.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

morestuff posted:

Do you need to progress the story to a certain point to keep the clubs going? I selected “yeah let’s meet” for both emo and shop events and no one has shown up at my door for several weeks

yeah I'm right there too. I think you have to wait. Maybe until you get Scarlet Witch for Emo Kids?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dorkopotamis posted:

Do I have to wait for the game to progress to get started on the third abbey trial/magic unlock thing? I believe I've searched everywhere I've could, but I'm at a loss for what to do next.

it starts at the warded cave out behind the church in valley of the winds and won't progress until after your first run in with Fallen Scarlet Witch I believe

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Tom Tucker posted:

Ah crap is Tony on the wagon and I missed it?! I invited him for drinks and he hated it.

I think during the first friendship conversation he mentions making sure the Abbey has a dry bar

I don't blame you for not realizing since this game's continuity is pretty pick-and-choosey with stuff like Death of Captain America getting namedropped but Civil War not happening, or Spider-Man being in the same age group as the Suns.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I wonder if the cards you play in the THREAT room count for Hunter's light/dark bonuses

like could I just grind all the way to max dark by making a deck of nothing but dark cards?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

RatHat posted:

Wait if they’re all targeting an invincible hero do they just do nothing that turn then?

yep! just chain taunt everyone on the map with wolverine and then vanish him from existence, watch as the Lilin all stand there scratching their heads

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That's...weird. I got a copy of Annihilation and a Legendary blueprint for completing the Abbey exploration storyline, but I can't seem to make another copy of Annihilation. I can for Bladestorm though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dawgstar posted:

I was looking at a build for the Hunter and people keep recommending Last Sight+ and Merciless+ because apparently they think Last Sight can proc Stun but... no? And it's one of those things where all the sites just parrot whomever had it first.

one of the mods adds a stun proc

e: pulled up my game

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 10, 2022

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I had absolutely no performance changes with the patch and wouldn't have even known people were having problems if it wasn't for this thread

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The biggest perk Dark gets is the collars, which increase your already stupid damage output

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Got a bunch of killer mods for Scarlet Witch's cards so now almost everything she does draws cards, draws cards for every KO, or redraws last attack played.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Ugh Wanda is available for a hangout but she's in her room so I can't actually talk to her what the gently caress game

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Shrecknet posted:

the only character I'm ready to call outright bad is Robbie because his passive shits your hand up with terrible cards. they need to either generate additional heroism instead of costing it, or destroy themselves end of turn

Ditch drain souls, get Judgement and Hell's Fury, pair him with Nico or Light Hunter and go hog wild

like if you get rid of drain souls and are friends with him then the souls meter just gives you more max HP, which equals out to more damage on Ghost Rider's cards that key off of spending percentages of health which includes his legendary.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Here's another hot Nico tip: Empower, her card that makes all Heroism cards cost 0 for one turn? Yeah that works on cards that key off how much Heroism you spend - so if you have Annihilation or Crack the Sky with 9 heroism, you can play them back to back. They'll do damage like they used 9, but they won't actually use any. It rules.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Laughing Zealot posted:

I was wondering who voices Banner without bothering to look it up. Think I just realized it.

It's the guy who voiced the evil ai in the Shen's last gift dlc.

Good for evil Bruce at least.

He's also Dr. Octopus in Spider-Man PS4 which I can't unhear.

e: Ghost Rider's use is a delete button

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dawgstar posted:

The voice cast is packed. I think about everybody's an industry vet. And there's even neat stuff like getting the voice actor whose played Sabretooth in stuff for ages.

Sidenote, does Sabretooth ever show up as a random supervillain? That used to feel like it happened a lot with Venom and Crossbones but now it's tapered off.

yeah, he does, as do the Lilin bosses you fight early on in act 2

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

worms butthole guy posted:

20 hours in and I just realized you can pushback enemies into other heroes and do damage to the enemy and not your friend

There's an upgrade that makes it so whenever this happens it draws one of the teammate's cards too it owns

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Okay so I'm in act 3, just did the final Crossbones fight. How far away am I from 1. Hulk and 2. the end of the game?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's a lot of weird differences in this continuity, like how Vision exists but doesn't seem to have any connection to Wanda at all because she was never an Avenger

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skippy McPants posted:

Like Blade, Wanda suffers a lot from needing too much setup to be good. Hex Bolt needs two casts before its worth actually using, and she really wants an Unleashed up for her AoE. Hex Mark, while a worse Mark Target, is still really good. On the upside, Chaos Reigns is legit very powerful, and Quick Toss is one of the better Quick attacks.

Oh, also, her Legendary is maybe the worst in the game on Ultimate III since it's a voluntary KO. Hope you didn't plan to play any more cards with her that mission!

use the lifesteal item and it won't kill her

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
imo call to arms is an autoinclude f or every hunter deck regardless of alignment. Free doubled heroism gains for one turn can't be beat and makes running heroism hungry heroes a breeze

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

JBP posted:

Tony Stark arrives at midnight suns hq: yuck no dude go away I'm not your friend

Tony Stark fires off Air Superiority: I love you Tony never leave me

air superiority makes nest mother missions so trivial it rules

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pohl posted:

I'm way behind but what???

yeah it's a research you get after you recruit wolverine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Finished the campaign this morning, that final level killed my PC. Had to turn it down to Low to be able to finish.
It really showed who has good legendary cards and who doesn't. Iron Man and Wolverine, cake. Blade and Marvel were quite a bit more difficult to use.

Pro tip, make a few manual saves during the final fight. If you run out of revives it will force you restart the whole thing.

Story wise, I am curious what was lilith's plan to kill Cthulu? I believed her when she said had a plan to get rid of him but seemed shocked when she saw the dagger. Was also disappointed that Agatha was good the whole time, I was waiting for the betrayal and 'It was Agatha All Along' to start playing

For that last point this game started production in 2018 so it predates that twist by a few years

There's a part in the Waypoint interview where Solomon talks about how everyone on the staff was like oh yeah our game has so many deep Cuts it's going to have Agatha and the Darkhold no one has those yet and then they watched Wandavisiom and we are like oh...