Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!

Animal-Mother posted:

No loving poo poo.

pure ideology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

company changed all the insurance plans to be worse and also cost us more this year while spending a large amount of money on videos and other stuff to say it's good actually that we're losing our current plan

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

it is good! for the shareholders you ungrateful serf

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

my favorite is when they have a calculator to tell you which one is best for you and they all say the crappy hsa.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
OK, so, now my insurance is saying that they're denying some of my claims because the time my doctor spent working on researching stuff outside of the actual visit and consulting with other doctors and poo poo (also, outside of the actual visit) originated from a telemedicine appointment and not a physical appointment.

The actual appointment is covered, but not the hundreds of dollars of extra billed time, according to them, even though the same questions and work would have had to be done no matter whether I'd been there in person or not.

Burn this country to the loving ground.

Kreeblah has issued a correction as of 22:11 on Dec 13, 2023

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Kreeblah posted:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
just found out that the only urgent care locations in my whole area are dropping my insurance on Jan 1st 2024 due to "unfair reimbursement rates" so its gonna be all out of pocket now baby!!!!

THIS IS SO AWESOME GOD BLESS AMERICA :waycool:

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
If an insane billionaire decided it'd be a good idea to round up every person in America who's passed the BAR and can practice law but isn't, pay them all to exclusively gently caress with health insurance companies, and make a profit by taking a cut of the legal fees awarded to successful lawsuits, I don't think any of them would ever be anything less than drowned in work

On a completely unrelated note you may notice that I stay high a lot if you check my post history

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 12:15 on Dec 20, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The Islamic Shock posted:

If an insane billionaire decided it'd be a good idea to round up every person in America who's passed the BAR and can practice law but isn't, pay them all to exclusively gently caress with health insurance companies, and make a profit by taking a cut of the legal fees awarded to successful lawsuits, I don't think any of them would ever be anything less than drowned in work

On a completely unrelated note you may notice that I stay high a lot if you check my post history

I like this idea.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/News_8/status/1741797444579463503

best healthcare system ever!

and just like that thousands (hundreds of thousands?) now have no affordable urgent care options.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 19:45 on Jan 1, 2024

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Kreeblah posted:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Nocturtle posted:

Moving to the US from Canada as an adult and trying to understand the healthcare system was an experience. A real abrupt transition between a model where you go to the doctor when you're sick/need a checkup to a complex system of insurance plans, provider networks, deductibles and random large bills in the mail for non-covered expenses. Haven't even had to deal with any really serious health issues yet, looking forward to learning all the ways coverage can be denied.

It's sort of dangerous coming from a UHC country like Canada to live in the states. You don't have the basic fear of any interaction with the predatory healthcare system that presumably Americans develop at an early age, and it can lead to getting seriously gouged. Wondering if people that moved from other UHC countries like the UK, Japan etc have had similar difficulty with the transition?

Understand how and why the US doesn't have UHC but TBH it makes me think less of Americans that they put up with the current system and don't demand change. Totally get it's because plutocrats and insurers bought the govt and are calling the shots, but it's just so outrageous. Guessing it's only tolerated because a lot of people here don't know how bad it really is in comparison to other places, have to believe there'd be non-stop riots otherwise.

I've been doing some thinking on this lately, and I realized something. I spend a lot of time thinking about how we should make healthcare free at the point of service for everybody, so nobody has to worry about a loving thing when it comes to going for care. Have an issue? Go in to see somebody. Have an emergency? Call an ambulance. Your doctor writes a prescription? Go get it.

And I realized that I have a really hard time imagining what that would be like. I can think through the details all I want (and it's 100% obvious we have the resources to make it work if there were the will to do it), but the actual experience of it . . . that's kind of unimaginable to me. I've been dealing with this broken loving system for so long that it's hard to really imagine . . . just being able to go to the doctor and not having to wonder about the 500 mystery bills showing up later.

I have to think I'm not alone in this. This system has probably ground a lot of people down to the point of believing that something better is just impossible.

In conclusion,

Kreeblah posted:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I got cancer about a decade ago, but I was in the US Navy at the time. I went through the whole ordeal and never paid a dime for anything. I was never denied care or told to tough something out because insurance wouldn't approve it. It wasn't perfect, there were still paperwork gently caress ups and frustrations over meds, but there was zero anxiety over cost or losing my job. Everyone should have that.

The VA sucks poo poo though. I'd rather just go out of pocket than try to deal with their bullshit over anything less than getting cancer again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/providers/trinity-health-hospitals-file-parallel-lawsuits-calling-anesthesiology-groups-non