Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

I probably have COVID. I visited my sister this weekend, she texted me on Tuesday saying she got it, and now I have a fever and feel like poo poo.

Anyway selfish baby time: I know I should get tested but I am utterly terrified of swabbing myself at a drive thru location. I’ve always been a sputtering wimp about swabs and even tongue depressors, and I can’t imagine doing it to myself.

You realize the 'brain tickler' test isn't what you're going to have to do; you'll just be wiggling a q-tip just inside your nostrils maybe 1/4" and swirling it around, not trying to strike oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah they haven't needed to shove it 3 inches into your skull since like summer 2020.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is brain-tickling not required for Binax tests? I've still been doing it and I hate it. If somebody is around to do it for me, it's okay, but doing it to myself is just terrible for whatever reason.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
You only have to have the end of the swab covered, no brain tickling.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

At-home RAT's only go up the nose like 2cm. Please read the manual.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

James Garfield posted:

You only have to have the end of the swab covered, no brain tickling.

Needs to go in a bit deeper than that, though.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Just read the drat instructions people, please.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's about as deep and uncomfortable as a good thorough nose picking session, and the reward is certainty about your covid status. Just get it over with

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah they haven't needed to shove it 3 inches into your skull since like summer 2020.

My hospital must just be sadists or something, they go for the brain tickle every single time (I haven't had a test since Fall 2021 there, but that was the case back then at least).

But yeah, RATs only have to get to the "mildly uncomfortable" level. My 6 year old self-administers them and does a decent job.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

haveblue posted:

It's about as deep and uncomfortable as a good thorough nose picking session, and the reward is certainty about your covid status. Just get it over with

Not really, unless your immediate result is positive.

Rapid antigen tests are less sensitive for the Omicron variant compared to the Delta variant in nasal samples, especially in the first 1-2 days after infection. However, rapid antigen tests can more reliably detect infectious cases of the Omicron variant in combined oral-nasal samples. Individuals can collect these samples by initially swabbing both cheeks, followed by the back of the tongue or throat, and then both nostrils.

The pooled sensitivity for the detection of Omicron infections is only 37.1% by RAT.

Serial test on a negative result, while assuming positivity and taking appropriate precautions.

Source: Use of Rapid Antigen Tests during the Omicron Wave

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The worst part about swabbing my nostril is that it tickles and makes me sneeze. That's as uncomfortable as it gets, it's not going way up deep into your head.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

spankmeister posted:

Just read the drat instructions people, please.

edit: quoted the wrong post i guess

Binax test manual posted:

To collect a nasal swab sample, carefully insert the entire absorbent tip of the swab
(usually ½ to ¾ of an inch (1 to 1.5 cm) into the nostril.
Firmly sample the nasal wall by
rotating the swab in a circular path against the nasal wall 5 times or more for a total of
15 seconds, then slowly remove from the nostril. Using the same swab, repeat sample
collection in the other nostril.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 23, 2022

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Read the instructions that come with your test and follow those. That's how they were evaluated by the FDA or other relevant health authority in your country.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Stickman posted:

Unless you need a positive test for work/school/whatever there’s nothing particularly wrong about just assuming you have it and acting accordingly. If it’s not COVID it’s most likely something else contagious! Just monitor your symptoms and talk to a doctor if you start feeling worse.
Agree with this, if your sister has it you can basically assume you have it as well. Apart from China I don't think anywhere else is aggressively contact tracing any more.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Two-and-a-half years in Europe without getting it, then three days in the USA, and I test positive (probably got it at the airport, but if I had to make a guess, it was in the interminable passport control line in the international arrivals section of the Seattle airport, that had a grand total of three booths open for four planes full of people).

So our first vacation in nearly three years has been reduced to sitting in a hotel room watching Netflix.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I have previously discussed a bill, the FDASLA (aka FDA Safety and Landmark Advancements Act), that includes provisions that will improve regulation of dietary supplements (thereby seriously undercutting groups like the alt-right, antivaxxers, Dr. Oz, and Alex Jones). The bill is going to pass, but it is not clear that the House will support these dietary supplement provisions in the final version.

If you'd like the antivaxx movement or groups like the alt-right to lose a major source of funding, please contact your House of Representatives member and tell them you want the dietary supplement provisions from the senate version of the FDASLA bill in the final version. This is especially important if the Representative is on the House House Energy and Commerce committee, which is the one handling the bill.

Context: this is a bill that has to pass every 5 years (it reauthorizes basic drug approval systems for FDA), so the inclusion of mandatory product registration requirements for dietary supplements is a critical chance to actually get these products regulated. This bill would make supplement companies send FDA their product information and label. That information goes into a public database (basically a public supplement registry), and FDA can instantly seize and stop supplements that aren't in that system. (It also means FDA will actually know what products are even on the market, since right now there's zero premarket approval or scrutiny for supplements) The short version is that the bill will let FDA crush fake Covid cures and other scam products much, much faster. The bill also includes a massive reform expansion of regulations on cosmetics products.

The politics involved are complicated, but the short version is that it's worth making this call no matter what party they are a part of or where you live. This doesn't fall along the usual partisan or even industry lines, and hearing even a single call or email of public support could actually change whether this happens.

Talking points:

Here's the author of a similar bill talking about the need for supplement listing: https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1ynKOZAVMrzxR

You can mine the video for talking points(it's a good watch), but some basic starters:
  • Always say you use supplements, and you want to feel like they're safe and better regulated...and that you want them to support provisions in the bill that will create a mandatory dietary supplement listing system.
  • Saying you want a more transparent market or want to be able to know what you're taking is what it says it is, is also a good line with most senators.
  • If the Rep is a Republican, talk about creating a "stable, free market for supplements made here in America" and in particular, say that you are always worried about foreign drugs (you can say Chinese or Russian, if you want) getting imported and dumped on the market as supplements.
  • if they're a Dem, it may be effective to say that you know there were a lot of fake Covid cures labeled as supplements, and you think this could help clean things up- and boost trust in vaccines, too.

Cunningham offered some more general info about contacting a congressional office:

cunningham posted:

My own comments (as one who routinely communicates with congressional staffers):
1. Be succinct. Staffers have limited time and get dozens (sometimes hundreds) of requests per day. Be short, sweet, to the point.
2. Have an "ask." It's one thing to say, "this sucks, you should fix it!" It's another to say, "this sucks, here is how you can fix it." That's why I asked about whether there was a bill to support, and what language you would like to see in it.

If you would like more specific info, context, or talking points for a particular office, PM me.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Inferior Third Season posted:

Two-and-a-half years in Europe without getting it, then three days in the USA, and I test positive (probably got it at the airport, but if I had to make a guess, it was in the interminable passport control line in the international arrivals section of the Seattle airport, that had a grand total of three booths open for four planes full of people).

So our first vacation in nearly three years has been reduced to sitting in a hotel room watching Netflix.

Sorry man, that loving sucks.

At this stage in the game that's my biggest concern: not the virus itself but the moral/legal obligation to isolate if you have it. I'm going overseas for the first time since 2019 in a few months and I'm gonna go 100% hermit in the week leading up to departure.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I think the implication is that that a pandemic level where it was seen as completely fine and normal to support sterilisation of shoes and tins of food upon re-entering a house where your kids have been locked away for months have passed by. That yes, people are getting sick and some even dying (alongside other preventable deaths such as obesity, smoking, adventure sports, etc) but the absolute quality of life destruction (through direct disease effects and the control measures required) that was in effect in the before vaccine times is behind us. Not light switch "we all lived happily ever after" but "the worst has happened and the effects will linger but life goes on".

Speaking of wishing all the strong NPI measures not going away, where are we at with monkey paw virus? It is starting to cause anxiety even here in W. Africa.

Nurses figuring out proning significantly shifted the ifr. Vaccines did too.

Deployed right- eg, when wastewater pops hot, local transition to a zero-contact economy and rollout of stockpiled vaccines- the vaccine could have significantly impacted r0. You wanna kick the virus in the junk with a 2-week zero-contact economy, then reinforce that with the 13-week immunity the vaccine provides. Instead, we did a slow roll out concurrent with exponential growth, failing to realize the potential benefit while allowing the virus ample opportunities to evolve to where the vaccine is less effective. So now it just takes the sting out of your (individual, not population) first (of, inevitably, many) exposure.

The science all points to this contagion being a Final Boss, compared with West Nile or swine flu or h1n1 or bird flu or any of the other emerging diseases (save SARS-1) we've closely following during the life of this forum. Zika looked to be one that would impact quality of life in developed nations, but for some reason the encephalopathy in utero didn't pan out in rich white countries.

And the initial presentation of covid absolutely confirmed the danger.

I haven't run numbers or any analysis, but it 'feels' to me like the transition to covid being 'mild' corresponds to the global adoption of proning as treatment, more than vaccination efforts or the virus evolving away from deadlier expressions.

The prevailing narrative groups people as vulnerable - immunocompromised, old, etc; and 'normal' people (who will all catch it, for which it will be mild, etc). There's a better way to think of it. There's the medically vulnerable - who the disease would kill; there's the SuperVectors - people that, in the course of a normal day, are likely to share air with dozens of people; and the remaining population has a sort of 'default' r0 around 1.1 (optimistically, 0.8) or so (conceptually, not empirically).

Both the vulnerable *and* the supervectors ought mask (anytime they share air); vaccine deployments in response to waves (detected early, with sewer data) should focus on supervectors (whereas we favor medically vulnerable people - who are much less likely to be involved in superspreading). This, coupled with a timely transition to a temporary zero-contact economy - might (but probably isnt, and is less likely to be with modern variants and international travel) be enough to mute any local wave with the majority of people never receiving vaccines or wearing ppe.

The supervectors instead were labeled 'front line workers' and praised and sacrificed as they spread it from the jet set to the medically vulnerable. No effort was made to differentiate FedEx delivery persons (who need not share air with anyone in the course of a shift) from grocery store cashiers (who cannot avoid it, without ppe); nor cops from nurses and teachers, nor snowplow drivers from Lays delivery truck drivers and insurance agents.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 27, 2022

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Uglycat posted:

The science all points to this contagion being a Final Boss,
It could easily turn out to be a miniboss who eats through the resources of bad players so that the actual boss wipes them out immediately. Humanity is poo poo at the public health game. We've used up all our megalixirs on covid and barely have enough HP to scrape by the next few random slime encounters. If an actual Final Boss showed up, it's game over.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Inferior Third Season posted:

It could easily turn out to be a miniboss who eats through the resources of bad players so that the actual boss wipes them out immediately. Humanity is poo poo at the public health game. We've used up all our megalixirs on covid and barely have enough HP to scrape by the next few random slime encounters. If an actual Final Boss showed up, it's game over.

Exactly right.

It's mild.

E: or, it was a final boss, and if we beat it we'd watch end credits where humans adapt to climate change with minimal loss of life, by mutual aid and universal access to free health care (that includes birth control), and abandon fossil fuels while pulling off acts of geoengineering and two thousand years from now historians pour through the somethingawful archives from the library of congress desperately looking for a thesis that hasn't already been done...

But we lost the boss battle, and were in the 'bad ending' sequence presently.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 27, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yeah covid is a gear check boss and we're severely under geared and underleveled.

It could be a whole lot worse, but we cant stop standing in the lava.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Two more of my coworkers stood in the lava. :smith:

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Uglycat posted:

Nurses figuring out proning significantly shifted the ifr. Vaccines did too.

Deployed right- eg, when wastewater pops hot, local transition to a zero-contact economy and rollout of stockpiled vaccines- the vaccine could have significantly impacted r0. You wanna kick the virus in the junk with a 2-week zero-contact economy, then reinforce that with the 13-week immunity the vaccine provides. Instead, we did a slow roll out concurrent with exponential growth, failing to realize the potential benefit while allowing the virus ample opportunities to evolve to where the vaccine is less effective. So now it just takes the sting out of your (individual, not population) first (of, inevitably, many) exposure.

The science all points to this contagion being a Final Boss, compared with West Nile or swine flu or h1n1 or bird flu or any of the other emerging diseases (save SARS-1) we've closely following during the life of this forum. Zika looked to be one that would impact quality of life in developed nations, but for some reason the encephalopathy in utero didn't pan out in rich white countries.

And the initial presentation of covid absolutely confirmed the danger.

I haven't run numbers or any analysis, but it 'feels' to me like the transition to covid being 'mild' corresponds to the global adoption of proning as treatment, more than vaccination efforts or the virus evolving away from deadlier expressions.

The prevailing narrative groups people as vulnerable - immunocompromised, old, etc; and 'normal' people (who will all catch it, for which it will be mild, etc). There's a better way to think of it. There's the medically vulnerable - who the disease would kill; there's the SuperVectors - people that, in the course of a normal day, are likely to share air with dozens of people; and the remaining population has a sort of 'default' r0 around 1.1 (optimistically, 0.8) or so (conceptually, not empirically).

Both the vulnerable *and* the supervectors ought mask (anytime they share air); vaccine deployments in response to waves (detected early, with sewer data) should focus on supervectors (whereas we favor medically vulnerable people - who are much less likely to be involved in superspreading). This, coupled with a timely transition to a temporary zero-contact economy - might (but probably isnt, and is less likely to be with modern variants and international travel) be enough to mute any local wave with the majority of people never receiving vaccines or wearing ppe.

The supervectors instead were labeled 'front line workers' and praised and sacrificed as they spread it from the jet set to the medically vulnerable. No effort was made to differentiate FedEx delivery persons (who need not share air with anyone in the course of a shift) from grocery store cashiers (who cannot avoid it, without ppe); nor cops from nurses and teachers, nor snowplow drivers from Lays delivery truck drivers and insurance agents.

I’m not disagreeing with the gist of this, but wasn’t proning a fairly known and standard treatment from the beginning? I remember reading about it even during the early 2020 outbreaks in NYC/Italy as a effective method of treating patients who were at or near needing to be vented.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

TheSlutPit posted:

I’m not disagreeing with the gist of this, but wasn’t proning a fairly known and standard treatment from the beginning? I remember reading about it even during the early 2020 outbreaks in NYC/Italy as a effective method of treating patients who were at or near needing to be vented.
Yeah, IIRC at the very beginning there was a feeling of "this is totally different than anything we've seen and we can't use our usual respiratory distress techniques," but proning and steroids were standard care by the middle of summer, I think. Certainly well before the first Winter peak.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My partner has COVID right now. Is there a consensus on when it is actually safe to start seeing someone again after their diagnosis/symptoms? I recall reading that the CDC's guidelines were driven more by political necessity than science.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My partner has COVID right now. Is there a consensus on when it is actually safe to start seeing someone again after their diagnosis/symptoms? I recall reading that the CDC's guidelines were driven more by political necessity than science.

The old advice of "ten days after symptoms subside" seems pretty safe to me. That's how long we waited and I didn't get it.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

10 days after you first get symptoms, but I'd give it a week after all the symptoms are gone. Technically you can never be 100% sure though.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

So it sounds like a negative test or two isn't enough?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

If it's PCR you're probably good to go imo

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

My husband had it and he isolated (away from me) for 9 days after first symptoms and positive home test and I didn’t catch it. He did have to go back to the office after the first 5 days, masked of course.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

This gets touted around a lot but it's not entirely fair. People focus a lot on the 5 days but in actuality they say it's 5 days after symptom onset if you're fever-free for at least 24hrs and then 5 additional days of wearing a tight fitting mask to stop spread

Of course most people only remember the 5 days and forget the other two things.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

spankmeister posted:

This gets touted around a lot but it's not entirely fair. People focus a lot on the 5 days but in actuality they say it's 5 days after symptom onset if you're fever-free for at least 24hrs and then 5 additional days of wearing a tight fitting mask to stop spread

Of course most people only remember the 5 days and forget the other two things.

Yeah. The 5 day thing is 100% economic policy that has nothing to do with the progression of the actual disease. There is no scientific basis to it.

Here's what it should look like:

When you get a close exposure:
    * Isolate for 3-5 days and test daily.

When you get a positive antigen test:
    * Isolate for 10 days. You are most infectious in the first 5 days, but continue to be so for the full 10. Continue to wear a tight fitting mask after ending isolation. (always try to wear your mask, with or without covid)

A positive PCR will tell you if you had covid, but not whether you are in the above 10 day window. You can still test positive for ~90 days on a PCR. The combination of a positive PCR + symptoms though is a pretty good sign that you're positive. If you follow the isolation guidelines and test daily you'll eventually probably overcome the lovely detection rate of the antigen tests.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

One difficult situation that screws with the timelines (and I haven't found any good advice for dealing with) is what to do for Paxlovid rebound infections. Day 10 after starting Paxlovid (which wiped out all symptoms by day 4 of treatment and had me testing negative on rapid tests from day 3-9), mild cold symptoms came back and I've tested positive on rapid tests for 5+ days. Best I can do is treat it like a new case and start the isolation process again, but it's rough because it's going to end up being 3+ weeks of quarantine.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Insurrectum posted:

One difficult situation that screws with the timelines (and I haven't found any good advice for dealing with) is what to do for Paxlovid rebound infections. Day 10 after starting Paxlovid (which wiped out all symptoms by day 4 of treatment and had me testing negative on rapid tests from day 3-9), mild cold symptoms came back and I've tested positive on rapid tests for 5+ days. Best I can do is treat it like a new case and start the isolation process again, but it's rough because it's going to end up being 3+ weeks of quarantine.

I wonder if the answer to that will just be 'take it for longer.' It may be it just isn't getting enough time to wipe it out and its just suppressing it. Kind of like stopping your antibiotics after you start to feel better.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So looks like we're getting an omicron booster in the fall. (from the ever informative YLE newsletter, really, go subscribe)

quote:

Does the committee recommend inclusion of a SARS-CoV-2 Omicron component for COVID-19 booster vaccines in the United States?

Yes: 19
No: 2 (Drs. Offit and Bernstein)
Abstain: 0

The FDA will make the final decision. Looks like we are getting an Omicron vaccine in the fall. It will likely be a bivalent vaccine and probably with BA.4/5 formula. Who will be eligible is yet to be determined. Could we wait for a booster? Maybe. Should we wait is a different question. I think this is the right call.

Some notes:

quote:

The CDC also shared that the second booster is already making meaningful impact on death among those aged 50+. People vaccinated with one booster dose had 4 times the risk of dying compared to people with 2 booster doses. (Unvaccinated people had 42 times the risk of dying from COVID19 compared to those with 2 boosters). This is consistent with data coming out of Israel.
drat, that's uh... something.

quote:

Clinical trials originally tested the effectiveness of a BA.1 booster formula against the BA.1/2 virus and it worked great. But since then, a new Omicron variant has come on scene (BA.4/5). Pfizer and Moderna presented new data showing that the BA.1 booster formula is also effective against BA.4/5, but the impact was less. This was regardless of age or previous infection. (This is what we expected, given that we are seeing Omicron mutate more to escape neutralizing antibodies, but overall good news.)

Interestingly, Pfizer and Moderna came to different conclusions about needing a bivalent or monovalent vaccine. Moderna found that their bivalent vaccine was imperative for durability. The slide below shows waning was more dramatic for the monvalent Beta formula vaccine compared to the bivalent. Pfizer found the opposite: The monovalent vaccine was more effective than the bivalent. (The FDA can’t just let the manufacturers pick their favorite approach, as implementation for the public would be a nightmare in fall. The manufacturers need direction.)

Pfizer surprised everyone and presented fresh off the press data. They already started testing a BA.4/5 vaccine formula among mice. Results below show that this vaccine worked very well against all Omicron variants. This hasn’t been tested among humans yet.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Oracle posted:

I wonder if the answer to that will just be 'take it for longer.' It may be it just isn't getting enough time to wipe it out and its just suppressing it. Kind of like stopping your antibiotics after you start to feel better.

Fauci is infected and his first round of pax caused symptoms to stop and test neg, but then later symptoms and positive tests came back so now he's on round 2.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

droll posted:

Fauci is infected and his first round of pax caused symptoms to stop and test neg, but then later symptoms and positive tests came back so now he's on round 2.

yeah its the stopping and starting again later that's beginning to worry me, that's exactly how you create resistant strains.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Paxlovid for 5 days really isn't enough. I've heard countless examples of people rebounding like mine—anecdotally, way more than the 2% pfizer reported. I wonder if the increased infectiousness of the newest omicron variants have something to do with it.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Oracle posted:

So looks like we're getting an omicron booster in the fall. (from the ever informative YLE newsletter, really, go subscribe)

Some notes:

drat, that's uh... something.

This is interesting, thank you.

I'm going to have to travel in late August/early September. I had been considering trying to get a second booster before that trip. Will I wish I hadn't if this Omicron booster comes out after I return? I don't know if getting two boosters within months of each other is bad or anything like that.

Of course if the omicron booster is out by early August I'd just get that. But the phrasing makes it sound like it'd be later in the year most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

incogneato posted:

This is interesting, thank you.

I'm going to have to travel in late August/early September. I had been considering trying to get a second booster before that trip. Will I wish I hadn't if this Omicron booster comes out after I return? I don't know if getting two boosters within months of each other is bad or anything like that.

Of course if the omicron booster is out by early August I'd just get that. But the phrasing makes it sound like it'd be later in the year most likely.

It won't be til fall, and I'm in a bit of the same boat, so I'm thinking I'm going to get the 2nd booster as well. Since they seem to be wearing off after 4 months if you get it now you'll be due again anyway by October.

Remember: it takes two weeks after your booster for full efficacy so take that into consideration.