Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Fansy posted:

What sort of precautions are you folks still taking, if any?

I'm avoiding indoor restaurants, but other than that my life has returned to normal save for the mask.

Roughly speaking, if I'm hanging out in an enclosed space with people because I have to I mask. This covers work, school, bus, groceries and that sort of thing. Have always generally gotten takeout, and that hasn't changed. The only real differences are the mask and that I'm now more willing to say no to stuff I don't want to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fansy posted:

I'm avoiding indoor restaurants, but other than that my life has returned to normal save for the mask.

I wear an elastomeric respirator when I don’t care about looking normal and being heard. It’s also a good choice outside since it’s vented — in the winter there is a lot of condensation, and I walk by a lot of people outside in the city.

If I want to speak clearly and avoid freakin people out too much, I use a 3M VFlex mask (sometimes an aura). I have flown to my home country twice, and traveled within there by bus and plane without incident (in a place where personal space isn’t really a thing).

My partner has worn Powecom headband KN95s working 40 hours a week with the public throughout the pandemic. She wears those at the store and on the street.

Other than that I have an air purifier. I couldn’t get into the Corsi-Rosenthal boxes because the materials I got take up a lot of space and I think they’re ugly.

Recently I picked up a bottle of the nasal spray Enovid to use as a prophylactic at the dentist. I guess those and my CO2 monitors are the oddest things I have (although the monitors were relevant to my job when I got them, and the Aranet I got free of charge).

Got all the shots and boosters, of course. We’ve so far managed to maintain a COVID Zero household from the very start (or so it appears, based on lack of symptoms and serial rapid testing or PCR).

It’s been completely worth it and in general it has not impaired our lifestyle: we’ve gone to crowded indoor shows, political events, museums and galleries, churches and mosques, weddings, hanging out at friends houses. Drinks outside a couple times. Both of us are higher risk so we plan to keep it up.

It’s also become something of a hobby — it satisfies the part of me that would compare graphics cards specs or skateboard trucks for hours, and I enjoy discussing it with other folks online. Also, most of these things come in handy during the brutal smoke seasons in Washington.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 20, 2023

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Masking indoors in all circumstances save for friends houses, but we've slipped a little on restaurants here and there. I'm high risk though (organ transplant). Our kids still wear theirs to school, but I think we'll drop that once it seems like cases are stabilizing - my oldest wasn't wearing one in the fall.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fansy posted:

I wear N95s everywhere indoors in public. Except once a week when I go to a D&D game in a tavern. I always carry one hoping I'll be brave enough to use it if anyone seems symptomatic, but I'm a coward so who knows. :ohdear:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I wear an n95 in the airport and on planes. Other than that I just enjoy life.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Fansy posted:

I wear a medical mask at work, on transit, and indoors in stores and whatnot. If I have to take a flight (an unavoidable part of my job), or a multi hour long distance bus or train I wear an N95. Got the full 4 OG shots and one bivalent booster.

Other than that there's basically nothing I'm not doing. Gatherings with family and friends (although both my family and friends are sensible and anyone with any symptoms always stays home), shows (I'll wear a mask at a concert or at the theatre though), restaurants, etc... If I'm coming back from travel I'll usually stay in for a few days to make sure I didn't develop any symptoms. Still COVID free as far as I can tell.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 20, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I wear mask to medical facilities and public transportation, but that’s it.

Yeah, it's that for me too. I am doing medical back training for the past 2 months and technically I am required to wear a mask there, but to be honest, I'm cheating there, since I just can't do muscle training without heavy breathing.
Also, even though it's not required anymore, I am wearing a mask on plane flights.

Covid is pretty much gone here. We're at something like 60 cases per 100.000 people per week at the end of January while those numbers fall by 20% each week. Last year it was 600 and by February it was 1000 and still climbing heavily. The lowest point in summer was like 300 and even then nobody who was properly vaccinated was afraid of Omicron anymore.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yeah mask to doctors (required here) and for transportation/flying. I'm also fastidious about washing hands after touching anything people are likely to have touched while out, but otherwise basically life as normal. I go to bars and out to eat less than I used to before covid, too, but that's not really for any reason, I just don't get the urge as much.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I wear a mask anywhere it seems like I'm going to be forced into proximity with people, stores, buses. I don't really bother outdoors, unless it's a city and I'm going to be shoved into a group of people in spite of myself

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 20, 2023

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Fansy posted:

Mostly just getting on with life now. (UK, seems to be mostly the ethos here). Wearing a mask in medical settings including chemists, expanding to shops if there are a lot of colds around or feeling iffy myself, in which case I'd be like 1 in 50 using one.

Usually just IIR medical masks I find them a little more comfortable and the NHS themselves use/supply them, I know they're not the perfect type but "the best mask is the one you can be arsed to wear" which for most people is none. FFP2 if I'm really concerned about catching something myself (be it covid or a flu I just suffered a lot worse from) e.g. an important upcoming event.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I've been checking indoor air quality (using a cheap CO2 meter) and wear at least a KN95 in places that have worse than like 800PPM, which is most places unfortunately. If I'm going to a restaurant it's during non-peak hours and I'm not going at all or getting takeout/delivery if it's during peak COVID spread times like right after the holidays, etc. Been checking The Shitwater Report here as well: https://www.mwra.com/biobot/biobotdata.htm which seems like one of the last few good sources of real-time spread information, unless anyone else has links.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I talked with my doctor, and through shared clinical decision making, we concluded that COVID-19 is not right for me at this time.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Platystemon posted:

I talked with my doctor, and through shared clinical decision making, we concluded that COVID-19 is not right for me at this time.

Yeah, I opted out too. I think I made the right decision there.
But that's just my personal opinion. If you think Covid is right for you, you should decide for yourself.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 20, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not me. Pretty sure the wife and I have COVID for the second time in a month.

[Edit: Well, we're testing negative, so maybe everyone else got COVID and we just lucked out and got a cold/flu/RSV/whatever else. Guess we get to keep testing for a few days to find out!]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 20, 2023

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I wear a mask now if I feel sick and go out anyway to the grocery store or whatever. Otherwise, only when required to by law like on ICE trains. I’ll also wear them if asked by a sign if I see that people are actually wearing masks inside that location, which is very intermittent. In the big public hospital, none of the doctors or nurses wear masks so I don’t either, even though there’s a mask recommended sign somewhere, probably. In my dentists they wear masks even at the reception so I do too, although I feel like it’s kind of silly since they’re going to get my spittle everywhere in the air anyway.

Otherwise no differences in terms of event planning or organizations since April when everything reopened normally. I got COVID once in the last year - in mid April - and then got sick two other times, where I never tested positive so I guess it was not COVID either of those times. One of those times everybody else at work also got sick, nobody tested positive for COVID, so it must have been something else. Felt about as lovely as COVID was though, one day of fever, one day of stuffy nose, then like a week of being super crazy tired.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
I will mask inside any place that isn't my home. Otherwise I am letting down the social contract.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Saladman posted:

I wear a mask now if I feel sick and go out anyway to the grocery store or whatever. Otherwise, only when required to by law like on ICE trains.

Guessing Germany then? Is that pretty much the norm?

I was there just before Christmas and it might just be the family I was staying with but there seemed to be a lot of masking. Almost all on the trains (didn't go on the ICE) and to them it was as natural a part of going out as putting your shoes on. Shoes, keys, coat, mask. When I wasn't automatic with the mask they looked at me like I was about to go out barefoot. Bit of a culture shock coming from England. Didn't go in many shops though and masking did seem more rare than I'd been learning to expect.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I finally caught COVID over the holidays, and gave it to my husband, who developed pneumonia he still hasn't entirely recovered from. So I'll still be masking for the foreseeable future.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

GargleBlaster posted:

Guessing Germany then? Is that pretty much the norm?

I was there just before Christmas and it might just be the family I was staying with but there seemed to be a lot of masking. Almost all on the trains (didn't go on the ICE) and to them it was as natural a part of going out as putting your shoes on. Shoes, keys, coat, mask. When I wasn't automatic with the mask they looked at me like I was about to go out barefoot. Bit of a culture shock coming from England. Didn't go in many shops though and masking did seem more rare than I'd been learning to expect.

Switzerland, but I passed through Germany on the way back home after Christmas. I haven't spent any time in Germany other than Frankfurt airport and some train stations. Masks are no longer required on ICE trains from 1 February, not sure if that is also true for regional trains nation-wide, as some regions require masks on regional trains and others don't.

Switzerland was always fairly low masking (and I think high anti-maskkkers) compared to Germany, and for instance FFP2s were never legally required for anything, not even for the medical setting.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Saladman posted:

Switzerland, but I passed through Germany on the way back home after Christmas. I haven't spent any time in Germany other than Frankfurt airport and some train stations. Masks are no longer required on ICE trains from 1 February, not sure if that is also true for regional trains nation-wide, as some regions require masks on regional trains and others don't.

Switzerland was always fairly low masking (and I think high anti-maskkkers) compared to Germany, and for instance FFP2s were never legally required for anything, not even for the medical setting.

Ah right, showing my ignorance as I'd never heard of the ICE until visiting Germany. Yeah it was a huge shift in culture from England where.. well it's been very anti mask since covid was considered "over".

During was typical British- a lot of "I'll not be told what to do" mixed with a lot of "tut tut that man isn't wearing a mask doesn't he know there's a warpandemic on" in pretty much equal measure

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

GargleBlaster posted:

Ah right, showing my ignorance as I'd never heard of the ICE until visiting Germany. Yeah it was a huge shift in culture from England where.. well it's been very anti mask since covid was considered "over".

During was typical British- a lot of "I'll not be told what to do" mixed with a lot of "tut tut that man isn't wearing a mask doesn't he know there's a warpandemic on" in pretty much equal measure

Nah I don't think ICE is like a common cultural thing everyone should know, I just usually only post in Euro-heavy threads. I probably should have provided more context, because otherwise an "ICE train" sounds like it's from Snowpiercer.

Switzerland had more of the "I'll not be told what to do" category in the Swiss German part, and more of the "stay inside & save lives!!!" category in the Swiss French part, from what I understand from the news and legal differences between cantons (especially in 2020), but I never heard anyone say anything one way or the other IRL. In general masks appeared on 99% of people for a given setting two days after legally required, and disappeared on 98% of people for a given setting two days after no longer legally required. I never actually encountered anyone IRL who was radically pro or radically anti mask*. Met a fair number of radically anti-vaccine people, but I never encountered the opposite, anyone who was gung-ho about getting every brand of vaccine injected in every limb on a weekly basis. I never saw anyone wearing anything more intense than a N95 mask (e.g. never even a single time saw a powered respirator) but I guess those types of people don't go out much. I saw some old people wear face shields briefly back in fall 2020, then never again.

There are some huge country differences though. I was in Mexico over Christmas and maybe 20% of people were wearing masks there outside, even outside in not-ultra-crowded parts of the city, and around 50% on the subway, even though not legally required. I don't really pay close attention to what other people are doing with their faces, but I doubt even 5% of people on the train still wear them, and it'd be exotic to see someone walking outside in my neighborhood with one on.

**Back in like March/April 2020 I saw some people post photos on FB of them like, out for a walk in the countryside, seeing people comment things like "stay inside don't u know theres a pandemic!!!!", and got to trim my friends list a bit. I even had one acquaintance I knew respond with something along those lines when I asked him if there were any reasonably good early springtime hikes to do his area. I was like gently caress you buddy, I'm driving there, it's outside, and it's just me and my wife. (I didn't actually say anything, just unfriended him a couple weeks later and would never talk to him again.) I don't know if it's a coincidence but Facebook was utterly murdered by COVID for my social circles. Nearly everyone switched to IG, massively trimmed their friends' list, and I also don't think I'd ever seen the green circle "close friends" stories either, until COVID inspired everyone to categorize their social media contacts into "actual friends" and "people who added you and you accepted".

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Fansy posted:

None, except depending on medical advice I'll probably get a fourth shot in the autumn.

I would also RAT if I had a sore throat or a runny nose or whatever, but weirdly I haven't actually had that come up. I used to get a cold three or four times a year, but since resuming normal life around March/April last year I haven't been sick at all except for my single bout of COVID. My theory is that it's either because sanitising my hands at work has become routine, and/or because I started a job where I have my own desk instead of loving hot desking every day.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I mask up based on unclear and probably inconsistent criteria, and will sometimes avoid indoor events I expect to be especially crowded.

As far as I know I haven't caught the thing ever, but that strikes me as unlikely and I haven't actually gotten a proper antibody test that would detect less recent cases, so. More likely I had an asymptomatic case at some point.

gonna be getting covid vaccines every 6-12 months for the rest of my life, small price to pay

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
and if I expect to be interacting with vulnerable people I'll use at least one of the rapid tests

also I lick deer less regularly than I used to

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I mask up in crowded locations or if I'm feeling sick. Regardless, I just caught covid for the first time, and it's been rough but so far not deadly. I think I caught it at an outdoor party at which no one appeared sick, so really not sure. Hopefully all my booster shots help me pull through, but if not then I like to think someone will find this post a few months from now and figure out the truth.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've so far managed to avoid it.

I work/live in a major tourist town with a huge foreign student population that works 3 jobs at once and comingle in huge dorm style apartments. Our office had one confirmed outbreak sometime between OG and Delta which killed one employee in less than a week, broke the poo poo out of a rather large woman in the office who .. not sure if it's long covid, or reactions to her new anti-coagulants, but she's been out of office more often than she's been in ever since, temporarily put a 30 year old marine on a heart stint, and gave 3 other people in the office a nasty cough.

I was the last holdout on this town for masks and I finally gave up when I realized I could either take my mask off to eat in the common break room, or I could go outside and eat in -10 degree F weather during some brutal cold snaps in last year.

If I was going to eat without a mask in the same air that I as working, there was no reason to continue wearing the mask.

Tossed it out. joined the mob. Been ok so far taking zero precautions aside from three shots of OG vaccine and the omni booster

killer_robot fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 21, 2023

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

At this point I only mask at the gym and I’m the only one there that does. It’s a huge gym so I definitely stand out and occasionally people give me poo poo about it (I live in the red part of California), but I’ve stopped caring.

DBlanK
Feb 7, 2004

Living In The Real World
Have not had COVID afaik, done a PCR whenever I have been sick.
I do what I can to reduce the probability of exposure.
More hermity then pre-pandemic, but still have a social life.

Still masking with a KN95 when indoors. Went to a large party on new years, indoor and outdoor areas, several confirmed COVID cases. I masked indoors, and was unmasked outdoors. I was mainly dancing though, so kept on the move and wasn't having conversations, so I assume that reduced any possible exposure.

Hit up Cincinnati and ate indoors a couple times, but both times were in private rooms with the same 50ish person group, so arguably reduced exposure, and put the mask back on when I was not eating.

Didn't mask at all when in Sweden for a month, due to the low case rates at the time. The people I was staying with ended up giving me a non COVID respiratory illness, kid likely brought it home from school. Symptoms lasted about a week, but it was only bad for maybe one day, in which I was periodically hanging my body upside down to help drain the excess fluid/congestion. No lasting side effects.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm not consistent but I am trying to mask indoors. Sadly I don't think it helps much because even people I knew who cared before are going full on anti mask, anti anything but their old 'normal'

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
What gets me is people walking around hacking and coughing with no mask. Like, I had hoped if nothing else, Covid had shone a light on what disgusting germ factories humans are and at the very least we should be considerate of that, but nope. Just cough all over the produce aisle, whatever.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I still mask as well for the most part. I've yet to catch anything since masking started. Normally I get at least a cold once a year or so.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

What gets me is people walking around hacking and coughing with no mask. Like, I had hoped if nothing else, Covid had shone a light on what disgusting germ factories humans are and at the very least we should be considerate of that, but nope. Just cough all over the produce aisle, whatever.

Early on in the pandemic I witnessed a lady pull her mask down to sneeze on a door in the frozen isle of a grocery store. Not maliciously, but none the less...

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Goddamit. Remember all those stories of people intentionally coughing into food products to own the libs?

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

killer_robot posted:

Goddamit. Remember all those stories of people intentionally coughing into food products to own the libs?

In the first couple weeks of distancing/masking up/etc back in March of 2020 I was unfortunate enough to encounter a couple (with no masks of course) in a grocery store who were intentionally using their shopping carts to block people in the aisles to cough at them and cackle about it. I saw them do it to the only other two people in the store before they tried it on me. I managed to avoid them though, thankfully. Staff didn't do poo poo about them.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I remember lots of stories of people getting arrested for that

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Bel Shazar posted:

Early on in the pandemic I witnessed a lady pull her mask down to sneeze on a door in the frozen isle of a grocery store. Not maliciously, but none the less...

If you're not at all used to wearing masks then it makes sense as kind of an automatic reaction. When I'm wearing a ski mask on the slopes and need to sneeze, I pull it down too since sneezing into something you are going to keep wearing on your face all day is gross.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Saladman posted:

If you're not at all used to wearing masks then it makes sense as kind of an automatic reaction. When I'm wearing a ski mask on the slopes and need to sneeze, I pull it down too since sneezing into something you are going to keep wearing on your face all day is gross.

You're outside when you're doing that, though. That's quite a difference.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

killer_robot posted:

It was a trend before that to shoot video of yourself licking donuts at the store and saying you hate America. It’s just something people seem to want to do, as if by nature.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

It was a trend before that to shoot video of yourself licking donuts at the store and saying you hate America. It’s just something people seem to want to do, as if by nature.

:hai:
We're always trying new strategies, including retrying the same dumb ones that don't work, but in our fun new context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

NoDamage posted:

For those who are unaware, Dr. Offit's views on boosters are somewhat controversial and do not reflect any sort of scientific consensus on the topic. He has been continuously opposed to boosters since the beginning, writing an op-ed in November 2021 against the original booster, which we can look back on now with the benefit of hindsight and realize that was a phenomenally bad take, and his opinions should probably be taken with a large grain of salt.

With regards to his latest opinion piece in the NEJM please keep in mind that both of the studies he cited used pseudovirus assays as opposed to live virus, whereas other studies using live virus actually found a much higher neutralizing antibody response. Eric Topol has posted a much more balanced take here:

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1613294891370713089

Ok, so I prefer this interpretation and have been mulling over it for a while. From Table 2 one of the cited datasets, there are figures for relative VE of the booster dose from immunocompetent >18yo adults, Sep-Nov 2022 (so freshly boosted) vs various reference samples:

BV > 7 days earlier: 31% (19–41) vs Only MV doses, last dose 2–4 mos earlier
BV > 7 days earlier: 42% (32–50) vs Only MV doses, last dose 5–7 mos earlier
BV > 7 days earlier: 53% (46–60) vs Only MV doses, last dose 8–10 mos earlier
BV > 7 days earlier: 50% (43–57) vs Only MV doses, last dose > 11 mos earlier

... and the footnote says * VE was calculated as ([1 − odds ratio] x 100%), estimated using a test-negative case-control design, adjusted for age, sex, race and ethnicity, geographic region, calendar time (days since January 1, 2021), and local virus circulation (percentage of positive SARS-CoV-2 test results from testing within the counties surrounding the facility on the date of the encounter).

So if I'm interpreting this correctly, the bivalent booster was more effective, but the benefit vs a hypothetical OG monovalent booster doesn't seem that large? Granted there's no ideal control sample since nobody was getting OG monovalent boosters in that same time frame, but it seems like the effectiveness being higher compared to the last-vaccinated-8+ months ago sample just means that the MV effectiveness started waning after 4-5 months, whereas the baseline is the first row's 31%. And I don't quite understand what test-negative case-control design means in terms of how much better the bivalent booster is for, say, a younger population, given that other samples showed much more improvement for 65+/immunocompromised. Also, the time frame is pretty much entirely pre-XBB1.5.

Anyway, my motivation in asking is trying to figure out what exactly the plan is for vaccination in the future. I got the BV booster right after labor day so it has already been 4 months and I hadn't heard a peep about plans for further boosters in the US until this article came out in the NYT yesterday:

F.D.A. Outlines a Plan for Annual Covid Boosters posted:

Americans may be offered a single dose of a Covid vaccine each fall, much as they are given flu shots, the Food and Drug Administration announced on Monday.

To simplify the makeup and timing of the shots, the agency also is proposing to retire the original vaccines and to offer only bivalent doses for primary and booster shots, according to briefing documents published on Monday.

The proposal took some scientists by surprise, including a few of the F.D.A.’s own advisers. They are scheduled to meet on Thursday to discuss the country’s vaccine strategy, including which doses should be offered and on what schedule.

“I’m choosing to believe that they are open to advice, and that they haven’t already made up their minds as to exactly what they’re going to do,” Dr. Paul Offit, one of the advisers and director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, said of F.D.A. officials.

There was little research to support the suggested plan, some advisers said.

“I’d like to see some data on the effect of dosing interval, at least observational data,” said Dr. Eric Rubin, one of the advisers and editor in chief of the New England Journal of Medicine. “And going forward, I’d like to see data collected to try to tell if we’re doing the right thing.”

Still, Dr. Rubin added, “I’d definitely be in favor of something simpler, as it would make it more likely that people might take it.”

Only about 40 percent of adults aged 65 and older, and only 16 percent of those 5 and older, have received the latest Covid booster shot. Many experts, including federal officials, have said that the doses are most important for Americans at high risk of severe disease and death from Covid: older adults, immunocompromised people, pregnant women and those with multiple underlying conditions.

In its briefing documents, the F.D.A. addressed the varying risks to people of different ages and health status.

“Most individuals may only need to receive one dose of an approved or authorized Covid-19 vaccine to restore protective immunity for a period of time,” the agency said. Very young children who may not already have been infected with the virus, as well as older adults and immunocompromised people, may need two shots, the documents said.

But some scientists said there was little to suggest that Americans at low risk needed even a single annual shot. The original vaccines continue to protect young and healthy people from severe disease, and the benefit of annual boosters is unclear.

Most people are “well protected against severe Covid disease with a primary series and without yearly boosters,” said Dr. Céline Gounder, an infectious disease physician and senior fellow at the Kaiser Family Foundation.

The F.D.A. advisers said they would like to see detailed information regarding who is most vulnerable to the virus and to make decisions about future vaccination strategy based on those data.

“How old are they? What are their comorbidities? When was the last dose of vaccine they got? Did they take antiviral medicines?” Dr. Offit said. At the moment, the national strategy seems to be, “‘OK, well, let’s just dose everybody all the time,’” he said. “And that’s just not a good reason.”

According to the F.D.A.’s suggested plan, officials would choose the annual vaccine’s composition each June, targeted to fight whatever variant is circulating.

But this year, the booster was quickly outpaced by newly evolved variants. It might make more sense to develop vaccines that target parts of the coronavirus other than the so-called spike protein, which changes less frequently, some researchers said.

They also criticized the agency’s proposal to use the current “bivalent” vaccine, which was designed to counter both the original Wuhan variant and the BA.4 and BA.5 Omicron variants that were circulating last summer, when the agency decided on the makeup of the booster doses.

Some studies have suggested that combining both variants in the booster dose has undermined their effectiveness. Because of a biological phenomenon called imprinting, preliminary research suggests the bivalent vaccine elicits a stronger immune response to the ancestral variant than to the newer variants.

A monovalent vaccine targeted only to the newer variants might have been more powerful, experts said.

“This makes no sense, based on what we’ve learned from the current bivalent vaccine and imprinting,” Dr. Gounder said of the F.D.A.’s proposal. “Why not switch to a monovalent Omicron vaccine?”

The F.D.A. advisers said they hoped the meeting on Thursday would allow for robust discussion of those questions. But others were more skeptical.

The voting questions “are framed in such a way as to force a certain outcome,” Dr. Gounder said.

Granted, this is preliminary and more information is supposed to come out on Thursday. I get the part about the BV vaccine possibly being less effective by including an OG part, and maybe it would have been better off as monovalent Omicron. But the quote about the strategy being "let’s just dose everybody all the time" is baffling. If that is the strategy, it sure as hell isn't working. An annual shot (combined with the flu vaccine?) might make sense to improve uptake given the pathetic 16% rate for the bivalent booster, but that's not exactly a medical motivation, is it? I thought the consensus was still that immunity wanes after 6-8 months, not that an annual dose is good enough. Is this also acknowledging that vaccines have little hope of reducing transmission, because it only really mentions reducing severe disease, and nothing about persistent symptoms, repeated infections or long COVID.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 25, 2023