Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Get your loving vaccine, make your family get it. If you get covid you have a coin flip chance of being ok or ending up in the ICU. If you end up in the ICU, its not a question of if its a question of when that your lungs become irreversibly scarred, they coagulation of your blood due to low O2 will cause you to get micro clots that gently caress up your brain, heart, and kidneys. If you end up maxed on Airvo you need to pray to god you dont end up on Bipap, because it will loving murder your lungs because of the positive pressure required, and you will literally be forced to breathe in and out by a face mask that is suctioned to your mouth and nose. It is more Claustrophic then you imagine and you are awake for it because we cant sedate you due to aspiration risks. You will be confined to a bed, and given things that will make you poo poo yourself, hopefully have a catheter so you dont have to exhaust yourself taking a piss. You have a max time on the bipap before it shreds your lungs and causes barotrauma that is just as bad as the lung scarring you are getting.

If you are lucky, you will get better, and be able to go to an ltac and may be able to go home after extensive rehab on long term oxygen, but never be back to what you were before. If you aren't you will stay in the ICU but after a week from infection the dying parts of your lungs will basically scar over, and you will start to get pneumonia on top of having the lung capacity of an infant due to your lungs basically not existing anymore. You will cry and think that it will get better, but intubating will only prolong this, your heart is already starting to fail because the pulmonary hypertension is killing your right ventricle, and putting you on a vent just means that you get higher Peep pressure in order to overcome the fact that your lungs arent opening up, making the hypertension issue worse. in a week, maybe two your heart will be done, no amount of pressers will be able to keep it functioning, your kidneys shut down, and your brain has already suffered massive hypoxia (from all those wonderful pressors). At this point we can code you endlessly, your heart still tries to keep going but nothing will happen. You finally pass after its determined to be futile (and I did compressions and literally felt your lung perf on the first press) and your family members scream and cry that you never should have died.

Get your loving vaccine, force your family to get it. You will never hit icu status with it unless you seriously alot of comorbid, and you will be safer then you think. Covid isn't going away, and we are losing staff that are willing to take care of your loving selfish rear end family because this repeats about 2x a week. Also if your loving family comes to the icu to see you unvaccinated I will personally throw them off the loving roof because gently caress them for coming in to a covid positive room and taking their goddamn mask on to eat with you while you actively are coughing then coming out to complain to us that we yelled at them about their mask

I'm so loving tired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Professor Beetus posted:

Thanks for the reminder. I meant to include both posts in the OP because despite the correction, I felt like there was a lot of good info in both, and I also thought it was useful to see the exchange.

These masks btw are banned in hospital settings for a reason. They may protect the wearer but they do not protect others due to the way they work. And they definitely are not ok for any airborne precautions which is what current speculation is that we should be treating covid has, instead of droplet. There is a growing movement that covid should be treated like TB and Measles, which are considered airborne pathogens instead of droplet pathogens like the flu, mainly because of infectivity rates and just general safety precautions.

sidenote: if you add my rant to the op dr. butts its fine, I just suggest cleaning it up a bit because I literally don't care anymore about trying to be politically correct or even sane sounding

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

buglord posted:

Jesus H man. I had a buddy of mine my age (29) get infected and he almost died at the hospital. I'm a little scared to ask if he was vaccinated or not, but on top of that he was a supremely heavy drinker and got cirrhosis (though I haven't verified if covid can cause that or if it was only from drinking). He had a 2 week stay and lost 20 lbs from infection to release. Still on oxygen occasionally now, and his feet aren't working for some reason and hes having to retrain the muscle or something. We don't talk super often because hes kind of a stubborn rear end any anything and everything, but he really got flattened by this.

I still have another buddy (21) who hasnt gotten a single dose yet, and on one hand im not sure if investing the time into convincing him will work because he's had two family members die of covid. I'll happily employ any face saving emotion/pride appealing methods to get him to listen, because hes real cool but also really freaking stubborn about this.

e: I guess to put a positive note in, my mom who religiously watches Fox News is very excited for her third dose as soon as shes eligible. I was terrified she'd never get dosed up early this year.

Cirrhosis is not a side effect of covid, its from his drinking. More then likely that was one reason he had such a rough course though, his body was already dealing with that, and cirrhosis causes clotting disorders and portal hypertension which well fucks up your heart.

Every patient we had had that made it out after long term care largely is deconditioned like that, every patient that made it off the vent basically had to relearn how to do anything on their own because the nerves were damaged from the hypoxia and other issues. That makes it so nothing is really working right until the body starts to recover and may take months. Almost everyone I have seen come off a vent pretty much had heart issues and was similar to a quadriplegic, and only were able to move there arms (barely) and had some grasping ability. The deconditioning is just horrible and the cerebral hypoxia causes untold issues.

Tell your buddy that 9/10s of a coin toss he loving dies or ends up disabled and ask if those chances are worth being pissy about a loving shot thats less risk then what the military gives you for standard deployment IE loving anthrax vaccines and the like.

and no we have only seen one horse paste fucker, and the doctor shot her down immediately.

edit: mind you are docs are hyper aggressive about DNR and DNI especially in absurd cases ie the 95 year old that had covid and was advancing to tubing, and flat out said that it was unethical to even consider tubing him. They have sit downs with the patient prior to severe cases in order to discuss care, and demand palliative or bio ethics get involved if things are just absurd.

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 14, 2021

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
oh sidenote, the issue right now isnt covid in most areas, its staffing. Every hospital is basically code omega because the hospital is full from normal patients that havent been taking care of themselves. Then add in the burnout and extended ratio staffing and people are leaving on masse because we get paid poo poo, we get treated like poo poo, and we have no help. Covid just is the icing on the cake as poo poo adds up. We have no lab staff, we have no nurses, we have no CNAs, we have no RT.

Literally we are at a breaking point nationwide on this poo poo and no one wants to acknowledge that healthcare is an empty shell with no one working. But we gotta keep doing nonessential surgeries!!!!@!@Adghijas;gjsagtjk hagjhiusjhgtsagjka fshahjkgajagafshhagfs

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

A big flaming stink posted:

https://twitter.com/NICKIMINAJ/status/1437532566945341441

lmao i gotta give props to this guy trying to blame getting chlamydia from cheating on his girl on the vaccine

its from heart failure but yes.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Mellow Seas posted:

My sister died last year at a very young age, ostensibly as a result of alcoholism. But I was thinking about her today and looking at the awful statistics, reading the OP and reading UCS Hellmaker's great post about the physiological effects of Covid-19. As far as I know nobody in the hospital ever even mentioned Covid as a possible cause of her cirrhosis, but I got to wondering. I found this article from the journal Hepatology Communications.

Now, my sister absolutely had a drinking problem, but it didn't seem like a "kill you before your kids are out of elementary school" type of drinking problem. It's absolutely crazy to me that nobody that I know has brought this up in the year+ since she died, but it seems incredibly probable to me that a Covid infection greatly accelerated her liver disease and ultimately killed her. People (not in this thread, obviously, but people) talk about "oh, covid deaths are over-reported because they say anybody who died with covid died from it." But she tested negative in the hospital (don't know if they did an antibody test), and I would guess that her death was not recorded as a Covid death, which implies that Covid deaths could actually be underreported.

It's been hard thinking about this today but I'm glad I can share it with the thread, and would be interested if anybody had any similar anecdotes or additional knowledge about the effect of Covid infections on the liver. I want to talk to my family about it, when I can find the right time, because obviously we've all been very hard on ourselves about not being aware of the extent of her drinking. I always thought of her as an indirect victim of Covid, via increasing her drinking during lockdown, but now I feel like it's very possible she was in fact a direct victim.
Pm me later if I don't respond in the thread. Long term covid damage is a thing.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

mod sassinator posted:

It started much later for no good reason. They didn't start until the beginning of this year getting their pediatric trials in order. The AAP had been haranguing Pfizer, CDC, etc. for months prior begging them to start child trials sooner because they knew it would be critical to get it done ASAP. Here's a letter they wrote in November last year saying that point: https://www.aap.org/en/news-room/ne...-of-pediatrics/ All of this was ignored by the CDC and others and trials didn't start in earnest until March this year.

It is either pure hubris/stupidity or a deplorable failure of government to anticipate the dire circumstances we would be in months later and the consequences of delaying these trials.

During any trials on kids is a massive undertaking, any research on pediatrics and pregnant woman is. Doing it in a rushed slapdash manner can and will cause more issues then the current antivax ferver, ie people comparing it to the things mengala did in the 1940s. Like seriously don't spout bullshit when you don't understand the actual things involved with human trials and the sheer effort required to even begin pediatric tests.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Vasukhani posted:

Which is what we're going to end up with now...

I'll stop on this topic since I dont want to get thread banned again. Thank you for explaining that the main issue was the late initiation of trials.

Rsv is currently more an an issue then covid on kids, source main hospital in the area has been dealing with record number of rsv in kids and full, compared to minimal pediatrics getting covid needing hospitalization.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

mod sassinator posted:

I am quoting a letter from the American Association of Pediatrics:

If you think their position is "bullshit" and "slapdash", 1. take it up with them 2. I would love to see the reasoning you have that gives your opinion more weight than the highest association of pediatric doctors in the country.

The FDA you dumb gently caress the same people that stop the doctors associations from giving out things like thalidomide in the US without proper testing. There is a reason that anything pediatric related is heavily scrutinized, and the FDA will gladly step in and shut down any testing that is done in a rough shod manner and doesn't abide by the protocols required. because we have evidence of what happens when a country just lets things happen with little oversight But hey, I don't know poo poo but I know more then you and how testing works because its something we get taught and they slam into you that anything pediatric related takes an insane amounts of paperwork and slamming through an emergency action isn't possible because we don't want to repeat Mengele comparisons because of fear.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
If you want black humor I can go all out and show people exactly why healthcare is burnt out. Also why the one patient got nicknamed hot dog.

edit: for less of a shitpost

This is what covid can do, It is an art line gas. 74% spo2 is absolutely dangerous levels and leads to numerous pathological effects, the least of which is your brain and heart start getting angry. But low O2 leads to clotting, and clotting is bad.

:edit 2 pet tax and every day I go to work

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 15, 2021

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

empty whippet box posted:

We allow racist, homophobic, and ableist slurs in parts of the SA forums, why wouldn't we allow gallows humor?

gently caress off with this, we don't need to drag other parts of the site to dnd in an attempt to cause drama. Take it to qcs or pm an admin if you want to talk to a brick wall

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
So one thing that should probably be talked about with both the flu and covid. One of the biggest things with both isnt just the virus, the body will progressively fight that off typically and then you will not be infectious but still die later from another wonderful thing that diseases can do. blah blah blha we can talk more later on what occurs here

The issue that comes up is the bacterial super infection that typically comes in near the tale end of a real bad flu, or with covid. The bacterial superinfection is what is actually killing most people because it causes profound full lung pneumonia, on top of the lung tissue that's absolutely hosed by covid. That is what ends up killing patients because it just destroys what's left of the lungs, and what it doesn't damage will get scarred by scar tissue as the body attempts to repair it, leading to concrete lungs as we typically talk about it. The overlying pneumonia is what typically ends up being the cause of death in flu and covid patients, because it comes on after the initial infections and welp the body is already weak and cant fight it off. Its the biggest thing infectious disease and pulmonary docs watch for in patients, because pneumonia can progress rapidly, and patients are at increased risk of it. One of the biggest reasons for that is the tachypneic breathing that covid and the high level flu causes, where a patient breathes rapidly above 25 times a minute, this doesn't allow proper air circulation in the lungs and allows mucus and other particulates to collect. The lungs cant expel anything and everything starts to collect in the lower lobes and welp here comes the bacterial infection to feast on weakened and dead cells and welp you are properly hosed now. It basically at that points runs roughshod through everything and you rapidly progress to full organ failure from pneumonia based septic shock.

Oh and then there's pneumonia that isn't bacterial in origin, but instead because your body has dead cells and things that collect and start to necrotize in the alveoli sacs. That can kill rapidly also.

Welcome to patho 101

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Mild covid does not put you in my icu, and doesn't leave you dependant on high flow oxygen and a bipap after being recovered and out of the hospital or in an ltac.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

bane mask golem posted:

Yeah, agreed. This whole last year's been pretty confusing, and the reactions of agencies like the FDA (ie. not even discussing boosters this week) have only added to the fear and confusion. To be honest, it's pretty worrying that the CDC still has mixed messaging about N95 masks on its website. I can't imagine how many deaths have already been caused by trusted medical agencies telling people to wear a cloth mask or surgical mask, or telling vaccinated people not to wear masks, or telling people they don't need a booster shot.

Hmmm, I don't know, that seems like a very high-risk low-reward bet.
If HIV was discovered just a few months ago, we might think the long-term effects were limited to just mild immune suppression.
If Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease was discovered just a few months ago, we might think the long-term effects were limited to mild confusion and mild brain damage. (which is a particularly worrying comparison, since COVID also causes brain damage)
If chicken pox was discovered just a few months ago, there's no way we'd be able to predict shingles as a long-term side effect.

The scary answer is that we have no idea how COVID affects people even 5 years after infection, much less 50. The best way we can protect ourselves (and our kids) from long-term side effects is using P100 masks and booster shots to make sure we never give it a chance to infect us.

Dude trying to make a comparison to a loving prion disease shows you have absolutely no idea what your talking about. The actual symptoms of prion disease take years if not decades to develop, and when they do it progresses rapidly, as in within a month your dead. Prions are an absolute different classification of disease that does not correlate to any other disease the people get. Half the issue in this thread is people making absolute hot take bullshit about stuff they have no knowledge or experience with. The worst of it is people reading bullshit from journalists or even nate silver who don't know anything about what they are doing.

And we already know long term covid issues, it fucks your heart kidneys and lungs hard. However it's not like chicken pox, or polio which are able to insert them themselves into dna and be activated later in life. We know the general viral structure of this disease, and it's similar to Sars for Christ sakes. Covid is a coronavirus, something that people did catch well before this. It's just a coronavirus that we specifically did not have immunity for, and it's spike proteins are able to invade our cells extremely effectively.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
And an example of it loving your hearts, we have seen documented evidence of it, and people that get covid and recover have been show to have significant drops in ejection fractions of their hearts. Whole parts of one patients heart were effectively dead when he recovered from covid recently at my hospital. And kidney damage isn't even a guess or hypothesis, the patients that get covid have extremely reduced gfi and many are in danger of being on dialysis because of it.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
You only saw a small level of how bad it is Dr butts, like that tangent was just scratching the surface. Words cannot describe how bad it is, and I'm only in an area of the country that isn't in severe outbreaks. I cannot imagine how people in the south or high impact areas are feeling right now.

Again I encourage people go read goon doc, there's healthcare stories and many of us have vented there. You have literally no idea what it's like and we cannot convey how much suffering we all are going through.

Stop giving us pizza parties, give me a loving raise and 2 weeks off.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Shifty Pony posted:

The real root of the problem here in my view is that the FDA (and many in the medical/epidemiology field) are myopically focused on preventing "severe" Covid when they should be giving a significant amount of consideration towards preventing mild and moderate cases.

I say that because there is plentiful data out there showing that mild and moderate cases of Covid can really wreck people. Mild cases include anything up to shortness of breath and abnormal x-rays, and moderate includes anything up to needing hospitalization for low SpO2. To make that worse we don't yet know exactly what triggers Long Covid, but we do know it happens to some with mild and moderate cases and can happen to people of all ages. If a 3rd shot improves protection against mild and moderate cases (as the Israeli and Pfizer data pretty definitively shows) it would alleviate a whole lot of suffering.

You really need to stop talking about mild and moderate. Needing oxygen and some lung x-ray abnormalities can mean anything and there's a massive difference in the progression of the disease. Nor does it take into account the super pneumonia that can or cannot occur which the shots actually don't do anything for. It's a coin flip that goes up if there is massive full lung infiltration from covid, which iss a serious infection.

Having low spo2 can mean you at 90% which is lol. Having spo2 that craters to goddamn 75 is what is bad. Being on a nasal cannula is not life threatening, being on high flow and bipap is going to be lasting harm.

Again, the misinformation being spread in this thread is the same poo poo endlessly by people that do not understand anything about medicine, pathophysiology of disease, and want to scream into a void because they refuse to actually listen to anyone but armchair loving morons.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

poll plane variant posted:

He hasn't made one single comment about boosters itt that I've seen

Because I haven't, because it's not the focus of anything I'm talking about but he doesn't give a poo poo because he wants to beat a dead horse.

My whole point with all of this is the disease itself and the stuff that is being spread in this very thread that is wrong but instead we have people that want to slam posts about poo poo the government does without listening or reading posts by people that want to talk about the actual disease. Because it's not about covid, it's about government inaction to them

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

90% last year meant going to the ER m8. Infrastructure failing doesn't magically move that to a you're fine categorization.

Most people never realize they hit 90 percent when they were moving around, they just felt weak and short of breath ie a bad flu. Being at 90 at rest and dropping to the low 80s however they noticed, or when even short movement dropped them to the 70s. But again please keep telling me, someone who works ems, worked in an emergency department during covid, and works in an icu exactly how this poo poo works and why my training, schooling and actual experience is wrong

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The 90 guidance was at rest and an oz of Prevention is worth a pounding of your mom.

How the gently caress is this appropriate or acceptable, how is this even ok in dnd? Seriously this poo poo is why no one that knows this stuff will actively participate

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Vasukhani posted:

Why is getting the COVID vaccine a choice?

Because our country is filled with jackasses, you cannot begin to comprend how stupid people are until you work in medicine. It shouldn't be a choice, and theirs a reason why many vaccines aren't or weren't until wasps made an issue of it because it causes autism in my kids!!!!!

Like seriously that fucker should have been disbarred and forced at gunpoint to retract and apologize for his lovely loving article to sell his snakeoil. It's one of the most distractive things done to modern medicine alongside oxycodone

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Another guy with a name and address who gets to live his life prosperously and peacefully and who will die thinking he did everything right.

Uh no, Wakefield did it because he was trying to discredit those vaccines in order to sell his own and make money. He actively went full hog in because he realized he was chained to the train he took off the tracks and lost his license and was fined I believed. He actively was discredited. He knows he lied through his teeth, his articles were fully falsified. He did it for monetary gain and without any thoughts he was right.

There's literally hundreds of books and information about this.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Vasukhani posted:

This is what I don't get. AFAIK the Polio vaccine was essentially forced on people, literally federal vaccinators walking around. But even on lib and lefty spaces suggesting that with the COVID vacs means I "am not respecting bodily autonomy"

Polio was in a different time, and polio was something that honestly none of us have experience or the visceral knowledge of. Polio hit across everything, and would leave someone crippled for life. It's something that was an underlying fear for everyone because most people knew someone on an iron lung or with leg braces from it. And it was a time when people believed doctors and not Sharon on social media that lived at home and read Facebook 24/7

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

lil poopendorfer posted:

You are a CNA last I checked the HCW thread, stop acting like you're some authority on the matter

thanks for absolutely taking the bait, and not realizing that there is much more to someone then what they post here :clap: Sidenote, I have a bachelors in a relevant field you loving idiot, and more training then the bullshit your trying to pull

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
mRNA vaccines are literally star trek tech, I fully will concede I never though they would be useful or actually work, moderna had a track record of zero success or actual products. But the sheer fact is, they are insanely effective and will likely change infectious disease prevention in the future in ways we cannot really understand yet. The fact that we can make a specially targeted vaccine now that hits the spike proteins of a virus can mean possible vaccines for things we never thought was possible. I'd love to see the next gen ideas because it might mean a vaccine on hiv, ebola, rsv, colds, you name it. It's going to be a growth industry in the next 20 years and may possibly be the biggest advancement in a century for vaccines.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
It be incredibly helpful if we didn't have bad faith and dumb arguments that are about liberal and leftist infighting in a thread, and instead focused on the reality of what covid is and what it does. What we should be focused on is how covid is effecting our healthcare system, where out system is reaching breaking points and how covid has caused a general breakdown across the world. We could be talking about how idaho is currently utilizing full triage care protocols for patients in the hospital, how ems services are so overwhelmed that they can't handle even basic patients, and how we currently have Ed systems that basically are so overwhelmed that lol wait times are in the period of days.

Instead we keep having the same circular dumb arguments, the same posters that want to scream into the void, and the same bullshit. Let's actually post useful things that can help people, not argue loving sementics and scream about the loving libs

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Like for fucks sakes you have hospitals sending patients hundreds of miles looking for ICU beds, patients that are dying in the er because they can't get beds, entire states empty of ICU and care beds. Tampa was literally just triage tagging patients in the ed and anyone green or yellow was slammed into a waiting room and told good luck fucker.

We have patients from Florida being flown to Indiana, entire regions basically nonfunctional. And everything is just welp, it doesn't matter I don't see it.

And there are many more ems jurisdictions that are running triage system, almost every hospital is at capacity or code omegas. It's not hard to get info on any of this if you just take a small look at it.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

It just means a lot of the "base load" has or acquires covid, leading to hospitalized numbers higher than the number of ppl who actually have severe covid. The hospitals are still ALSO full of people with severe covid, it doesn't help them any but skews the math on severe breakthrough cases.

Hospitals in many areas aren't just covid, it's actually massive sick patients from people not being able to or not wanting to see their doctors due to covid.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Bioweapons are a spook story from the cold war era, they honestly are poo poo and no country realistically looks into them in this day and age because the cost to benefit risks are to high, along with the fact that you need it to be able to spread rapidly, but not burn out faster then it can spread. While there was massive research programs on it in the 1960s-1980s the US and soviets all found that it was not beneficial and caused to many issues along with the threat of accidental release being almost impossible to stop. The majority of bioweapon tests also utilized the use of bacteria and not viruses, because viruses mutate way to easily and can easily change to a form that is neither as infectious or deadly in the long run (covid surprisingly has done this at times but other strains just are spreading faster in some cases, viral evolution is weird!) Bacteria that are infectious that bioweapons focused on tended to be spore bacteria like anthrax or botulism, stuff that you can grow and store (viruses tend to be difficult as poo poo to store long term especially in a form that can be used as a weapon). Smallpox would likely be something that bioweapons would focus on, or a genetically modified measles virus that bypasses the current vaccine. The reason for that is both are INSANELY infectious and spread by airborne spread, measles in particular is insane and spreads like wildfire much faster then covid does. Again though, this ties into the fact that doing so is a major risk because the ability to accidently be released is huge, and a level 5 biolab is needed for even testing some of this poo poo. Small pox in particular. Ideally smallpox would be what a true viral bioweapon would utilize, because you can spread it from the fluid from the lesions or dried blisters, and almost no living person has any immunity to it because its been eradicated.

Covid isn't a bioweapon, its just morons on twitter spreading misinformation to make it seem like random viral evolution didn't play a part in this. Its also just dumb xenophobic garbage to say that china caused this and asians are the reason your loved one is dying. Stop spreading it. Twitter is a cancer and spreading this poo poo is just spreading right wing propaganda to justify that its all a ploy by the government to hurt people and blah blah blah insert loving alt right comments because thats all it is

Like, chemical weapons are more realistic then bioweapons are, the efficiency is greater, the colleterial damage is much less and its easy to prevent accidental spread to allied forces. No country is realistically looking at bioweapons as a serious offensive power because the risk is to high for it backfiring. There are a number of solid books that detail the coldwar era bioweapon projects (both soviet EU and American that are declassified to some degree) that highlight alot of this.

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 22, 2021

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Vasukhani posted:

Most people who kill themselves are men who do so out of financial reasons, so it makes sense the UBI reduces suicide

that said, mental health probably suffered immensely. So suicides will probably increase as people recover from the "Sleep all day" to the "do something about it" part of depression. There were a ton of other health impacts of the endless quasi "lockdown," including childhood obesity doubling, and 30-50k treatable cancers likely becoming terminal. The mental health system broke down completely too, so I don't think we should be using suicide as the one metric of public health damage.

Humans also like violence and destruction, so in general watching the bodies pile up also made people excited to see tomorrow.

This is honestly not true. Suicidal ideation is not just a result of finances, they play a part but I've dealt with alot of suicide attempt patients. A large part is not tied into finances but other things they can't control.

There's alot that happened last year with it, but the shock to the system and people having loved ones home played a part in why suicides went down. Then just tele access to providers played a part instead of waiting goddamn days to maybe get in.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Tbh listening to someone doomsday constantly because they barely understand written language sucks poo poo. And doesn't do anything to help develop discussion here. Considering that people are ignored constantly that do understand what's going on, and sealioned in order to drive them off, we should be pointing out people that aren't listening or understanding something explained to them ten times. Considering that it's a circular argument at this point regarding 95 percent of what's posted and most of it is ignored if it doesn't fit that posters agenda, I can't find reason to not point out stupidity.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Anecdotal but we haven't had any vaccinated patient end up in sdu or icu care since vaccines started. Most that get admitted are for obs or a small round of treatment, we haven't had any get the bacterial super pneumonia that we get with unvac

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Sidenote you cannot leave ama if you are on high oxygen levels of assistance, period. Because unless you have someone that brings in tanks and has them going, you physically cannot leave the hospital because you won't make it past the nurses desk at the levels that put you in the icu. And no doctor will prescribe you oxygen (which btw needs a prescription! It's a drug!) So that you can leave ama, especially because at the high rates they use they need full tanks every few hours. Oxygen concentrators only work to 6lpm which is not nearly enough for highflow nasal cannula and will suffocate you if you use a non rebreather.

Also other caveat, at least in Ohio a doctor can declare you unable to make rational decisions or pink slip you if it will lead to you dying from a medical condition. I've seen it a handful of times (mainly involving seizures) but a covid patient on high level o2 they definitely could do it because you suffer from hypoxic delirium as you become more and more unable to do anything without desatting harshly.

So yeah, by the time these people are in icu they aren't able to actually leave. Not unless they leave to the morgue or somehow not end up dead after weeks.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Inferior Third Season posted:

How does this work with things like DNRs and terminal patients deciding they just want to go home to live out their final days?

This needs to be done well in advance, have your DNR and medical power of attorney setup before you go into the AMS of delirium. Because at that point you realistically can not make sound decisions. It has to do with informed consent. And if you want to go hospice care which is what your asking, that's complicated and directly involved with hospice nurses and physicians. I haven't actually seen that in regards to our covid patients, and honestly haven't seen any go home because of the oxygen requirements or sedatives needed in order to help with the delirium. Realistically if we could we would send them home if they went hospice, but being off oxygen drops them sharply to 60% spo2 which is MASSIVELY bad, and runs into that whole problem that no one has the ability to have the required oxygen at home for the patient. Also since hospice largely means you aren't going to be on those high levels of oxygen, and instead be on a simple face mask or NC with morphine, Ativan, and other medications to help the patient feel comfortable as the body shuts down.

Also DNR works different depending on the hospital, we have
standard DNR, which is if I code do nothing
DNAR: do everything up till I code including tube me unless my heart stops
DNRCC: Do nothing if my heart or lungs are stopping except give me meds to help me go
DNI: do not intubate do everything else
DNE: do not escalate based on criteria decided before I was unable to specify ie no ICU care, no pressors, no CRRT, no dialysis and so on picked by what you decide.
CC: Do nothing that will prolong, focus on comfort solely, do not try to treat any condition unless it will effect comfort ie put a foley in because I cant pee. Give me meds for comfort let me die peacefully

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Another sidenote, Another thing families or patients like to do if they don't like their treatment or think they aren't getting cared for because (}insert rant) is to try and get transferred to another hospital or hospital system. Here's a funny thing, realistically you can't because if its not to a higher level of care that isn't available at the hospital your at, the patient eats the cost of everything for transport. And your at the whims of the transfer center there for getting a bed, which has one family found out repeatedly they don't give a gently caress what you want they fill their beds with the patients they have in there system first. So requesting transfer to another hospital like many of these antivaxers will try will realistically never happen and many times even attempting to can take days if not weeks right now, along side many IFT ambulances literally requiring upfront payments to transport because insurance flat out wont cover it. Seen that one before, and have been the IFT ambulance that was doing that transport before.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

lil poopendorfer posted:

if the provider deems the individual to be of sound mind and able to understand the risks of discontinuing treatment, you can't really keep them against their will (not includig the five states that allow medical holds for non-psych reasons, as you mentioned). Attempting to do so can open you to liability for false imprisonment. It still happens, something like one out of five 5150 holds in California are for non-psych causes, but the providers don't have much to back them up if they were to be sued

The dilemma is: if you deem someone unable to consent to the risks of leaving ama, how can they consent to the treatments that will be provided during their medical hold. Its a little more complex than that, but that's the medicolegal point in favor of letting them go even if it will jeopardize their life.

Local standard of care, hospital policy, and the providers own principals will shape the decision but generally if a patient of sound mind and their surrogate/POA wanna go, we let them go. Never had it happen on a vent but hell, if it's just for airway pprotection and not oxygenation/ventilatory support, why can't they decide to leave. Anyways Here's a recent case where the guy was on hfnc and left only to die the next day :sad:

https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2021/08/dying-after-leaving-ama.html

very much so, you need to have a provider determine that someone is of unsound mind and needs a psych consult to determine capability. Typically though at low o2 sats this doesnt matter, you cannot accurately say that the patient is of sound mind because at those levels they are AMS, because the brain isnt getting enough o2. Sidenote we literally had a patient attempt this last night and lmfao satting at 60% on room air dude was gonna code by the time he got to the door. part of leaving AMA is also having the neccassary equipment to leave, and not literally coding as soon as the equipment is removed, someone on a vent can leave ama, if they have a vent to transfer to. Same for anything else. But you need a prescription for O@ to be able to leave on it, because it is actually a drug under the FDA, and requires a prescription. Things are definitely based on a states definition mainly based on the states interpretation of the patient being of sound mind, or the POA not being absolutely insane

Ive been up for 30 hours and im uh, 5 shots in after a poo poo night and one covid patient trying to leave ama and satting at 40% multiple times because he kept taking his airvo off, so if this is massively scattered or incoherent lol sorry. I fully expect the next two nights to suck poo poo to but gently caress. also dont drink 5 shots (might have been 6) of 94 proof on an empty stomach and 30 hours of being up

edit, anyone that empties a foley and leaves it open needs to be shot because jesus christ its literally pissing urine on the floor you loving hob gobblin piece of poo poo. Im talking to you the day shift sack of poo poo
Also my guy with the trach <3 you made my night, super nice and super apologetic when you knew we were getting poo poo on, why cant all our patients be this nice to us and treat us with respect

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 25, 2021

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

The nature of the immune response has Leonardi saying this is physically impossible unless you accept a drastically shortened lifespan as "living with it"

Why are you allowed to post here, you literally post fake bullshit and we're banned from every covid thread before this. Nothing you post is actual real science confirmed by anyone. And you just spout fake bullshit like this with no actual meaning or rational at any time.

Also if anyone actually believes china's numbers for covid you are literally drinking propaganda, the numbers out of china have been faked since day one, and they have been suppressing if not actively faking their covid numbers for the entire pandemic.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Epic High Five posted:

Your links you provided yesterday were replied to if you want to resume discussion of those sources

Is that actual real science confirmed by any reputable authorities?

I think you know the first part isn't tolerated here, if you've got an issue with posters themselves take it up with a mod or report it

They have been constantly, but the sheer inability for you to actually punish people for posting fake and absolutely ridiculous poo poo in this thread is why a number of actual experienced people don't post here anymore. The fact we have people posting pseudoscience bullshit constantly and repeating it endlessly even when it's been shown to be wrong is a serious issue and directly why several of them have been banned from every covid thread on the forums

And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know china fakes their numbers, they have been faking everything related to covid for two years starting with the initial deaths and conditions at Wuhan, and the fact they say 0 new daily cases in a population of over a billion in a recent press release is the most abject level of fake news that no one with any brain cells would believe.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

VitalSigns posted:

Easier to enforce.

It's hard to make every Joe Blow wear a mask, but you can fine instacart if they aren't ensuring their workers comply.

Same reason Biden decided to do the vaccine mandate through OSHA. Holding everyone down and forcing needles into their arms is unreasonable and unethical, but if you make their jobs depend on it you can get compliance. Have you been to a grocery store with a mask mandate, which group has higher compliance rates: employees who have to wear a mask or lose their job, or shoppers who at most might get asked to leave if they ignore requests they put on a mask.

But also, fewer exposures are better than more exposures. If you can't make everyone's kid wear a mask in day care or whatever, it's still safer for essential workers if only the kids of other essential workers are in daycare instead of everyone. If the waiter bringing food to an essential workers' car is less likely to be infected herself because the dining room is closed that protects the essential worker, etc.

I mean this isn't theoretical, compare the rates of illness and death among essential workers between Australia and the US. It certainly isn't the case that "OPEN ER UP!!" made no difference

Do you literally huff paint? Because they have attempted in many businesses and healthcare to enforce mask compliance, you never will get people to follow it completely and you always will have people refusing and unwilling to listen to reason. It's the same loving reason we have people visit covid patients and take off ppe while their loved one is in a raging infection. You absolutely think that the world.will work in this perfect way that doesn't exist except in your mind and will never exist unless we move to literally armed guards shooting people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Healthcare is already ready to collapse and its not just from covid,, you literally have regions that are at capacity EMS and hospital wise that are ticking time bombs until the staff walk out. Hospitals that are shuttering regionals to take the staff there to help at the main hospitals. Or closing beds off because they literally do not have staff to run them. Its not even covid, its from all the health issues that people avoided dealing with during lockdown that have come to roust, and worse then they could have been. Or cant see their doctors and things went downhill. Screaming that covid is the sole thing ignores the fact that you have entire systems that are basically shuddering corpses that can barely staff a ward at this point.

Prof beetus literally posted 3 articles detailing this a few weeks ago. And thats from an area that hasn't been hit by covid hard at all.