Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
The OP mentions "knock-off" N95/KN-95s.

I don't really know what to look for to know if something is genuine or not; how do I know if what I got is genuine or not?

The ones I purchased are brand-named, but I got them off of Amazon, so . . . have I already hosed up there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

kiimo posted:

I just got back from northern Michigan.

Good news the pandemic is over there and if you wear a mask in public you get a lot of nasty faces which you can make out clearly.

UP, or just the top of the mitten?

I was born in southern Michigan; always dreamed of someday living way up north (though tbh I'm not sure how I would manage that before retirement age since every time I visit up there I just look around wondering where I would actually WORK if I were to move) but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't be rethinking that . . .

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Yeah, the YouTube sword guy uses one; I think the idea is that it's a lot easier to go between using/not using it with gloves on and such.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Iron Crowned posted:

Embrace your impending death :)

*glances around at every facet of my lifestyle* Hmm . . . gonna need you to be more specific there, champ. :v:

For thread content: Are OTC self-test kits a thing? Do they return results instantly? The reason I'm asking is that my brother is coming to visit in a couple weeks and I was gonna have him crash here. However, part of the reason for his visit is to go to a wedding and I'm . . . not sure how I feel about that. He's vaxxed, my wife and I are vaxxed, but my little one isn't yet (for obvious reasons) so I'm still searching for some comfort here.

As far as precautions go, my brother pretty much only hangs out with a small circle of people, and he is diligent about wearing masks and stuff. He specifically got some N95s for the trip (at my request), and has offered to wear a mask in my apartment the whole time he's here. (When the windows are open, this apartment actually has some incredibly good airflow, and mid-October should be prime Windows Open season, so that will help). We have also secured alternative arrangements for him to spend the night at if he thinks I would consider the wedding "unsafe" (poor mask compliance, people being dumb as poo poo, etc.).

Thinking more on it, though, I'm wondering how good the test kits are and if I couldn't just be like "Here, I got 3 of 'em for the 3 days after the wedding, just so we can be sure!" but I'm not sure if it would work like that . . . would they be any good in the first 3 days after a potential exposure? Should I even really BE worried about the first 3 days after a potential exposure? (That is to say, even if he WAS exposed, would it have to incubate in his face-holes for awhile before he'd be a concern to my family?)

Of course, thinking about this even further . . . holes in our faces were, in retrospect, a terrible idea and I have issues with whoever engineered this house of cards that is my meat-frame.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Platystemon posted:

Why don’t we go back to letting kids ... play tackle football?

We ever stopped!?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Not sure how I double-posted there. Neat. Maybe it is I who has brain damage :downs:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I thought I read in this thread that Moderna boosters and under-12 vaccines were gonna be discussed this month. Where are we at on those?

I had my second Moderna shot in April, so I'd like to get a booster soon. I also want to get my almost-5-year-old vaccinated ASAP. I have a feeling I'm going to have to see family this Thanksgiving >_<

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Judakel posted:

People got a booster against Delta because even clinically mild covid can kick your rear end regardless of the status of your immune system. It just kicks your rear end at home, rather than the hospital.

No, I don't think so.

I'm not sure if you mean to be saying this, but this reads to me like the boosters were formulated specifically to combat Delta.

To my knowledge, they were not; they're just the same stuff as the first 2, but 6 months later.

It is true that there was talk of maybe needing to have variant-specific boosters, but to my knowledge none of that has made it past the theory phase and have been spun up into production, simply due to the fact that the original stuff that's already rolling off the line is "good enough"

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Judakel posted:

What I am saying is that people didn't just need boosters to combat the potential for infection from delta, but to increase the amount of antibodies available for the rapid response that was needed against delta even if infected. That strain attacks so rapidly that t cells cannot spin up enough antibodies before people are "mildly" sick (read: pretty sick). T cells still eventually would be able to produce enough, but you really wanted to avoid getting people very sick and producing that much virus.

Ah, gotcha, I see what you're saying. Yeah, I mis-read then, sorry about that.

I hadn't considered that angle of the booster benefit; I really only ever just read that effectiveness from the second shot started dropping off after 6 months, so a 3rd one was a good idea.

With that in mind then, yeah, it'll be real interesting to see how Omicron plays out. Also if we see a waning effectiveness after the 3rd shot, or if that holds immunity up a bit longer.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Fritz the Horse posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM TWEETS INTO THE THREAD. IT'S LEONARDI AND FEIGL-DING AND I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, CHISE. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN HOW COVID IS AIRBORNE DIABETES AND PARKINSONS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY VIRUSES CAN SAY THEY TOTALLY ESCAPE VACCINES. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE ON THE SOMETHING AWFUL FORUMS AND THEY ALL AGREE WITH ME. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED TO NEVER LEAVE MY APARTMENT OR HAVE CONTACT WITH ANOTHER HUMAN BEING BECAUSE COVID ROTS YOUR BRAINSTEM. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I LIFT

I'm not a doctor of veterinarian medicine, buuuuuut I don't think horses have palms. Consider me suspicious.

I'm on to you :thunk:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Heard something recently along the lines of "N95 are respirators and require training in order to achieve proper fit, and do not work for people with facial hair. Therefore surgical masks are better for most people, especially those with facial hair"

That . . . doesn't seem entirely right to me though. I would think that an N95 used by an untrained person with a beard - though this assumes the user in question is attempting to achieve the best fit possible, given the circumstances - would still offer better protection than a surgical mask, because those seem to be pretty open on the sides.

Am I missing something here?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SpartanIvy posted:

People can also just shave their loving neckbeards

My beard is very nice :colbert:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Given that omicron is going ham right now, what is a good resource to see how close it is getting to my neck of the woods?

Trying to decide when I'm going to unilaterally decode to stop going to the office. That they called us "back" to (I started remote and didn't set foot in a company location for 6+ months).

I figure if omicron gets popular nearby I'll stop coming in for in for awhile until they get around to sending us all back home again.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This very supreme court has supported state level vaccine mandates, so it's not as clear cut as your one line assertion of fact suggests.

An emergency special session isn't an ideal sign when they could have just said "lol no", but they will also be hearing a hospital vaccine mandate case. I should probably see what my preferred top legal minds think.

Are they looking at the OSHA one, or the Federal Contractors one?

I'm guessing that the Federal Government is allowed to mandate pretty much whatever they want for their contractors, but I could very easily be wrong there.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bearinabox posted:

Why are people in here saying Omicron isn't milder when heaps of credible scentists and experts are saying the opposite

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/28/omicron-is-not-the-same-disease-as-earlier-covid-waves-says-uk-scientist

Obviously infection rates are bad, but there seems to be a denial in this thread of the core fact that is Omicron itself is less severe. I dunno why.

I'm neither a doctor nor a smart person, but what I'm getting is that the argument is: omicron showed up so late that between vaccinations and naturally-obtained antibodies, it's hitting a much less naive population than previous variants.

Seems like after attempting to correct for that, some sources are asserting that this is more of the same and we shouldn't be too cavalier about it.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I ended up letting my kiddo go back to preschool today, after holding him out on Monday. They seem to be taking it very seriously and have increased NPIs at the school (snack time now splits the kids among multiple rooms so they can all be far apart when eating, etc.)

I'd rather keep him out, I think, but he was pretty upset about not going on Monday. He's had two jabs now, although the last one was on 12/31, so he's not fully vaxxed yet.

I have to say that I'm not real impressed with his mask, though. The first ones we got him had a removeable 2.5um insert; of course, he removed and played with it so welp. We just got him some new masks and they're made of a shiny/smooth material that I can see light through when holding them up. I tried the blow test with them and it was no effort at all to blow out the lighter my wife was holding :ohdear:

Where does someone get child-sized masks that aren't garbage? He's 5, so we're talking pretty small.

Of course, the next hurdle will be how to convince him to wear those instead of his Marvel-themed ones . . . I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, though.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Zarin posted:

I ended up letting my kiddo go back to preschool today, after holding him out on Monday. They seem to be taking it very seriously and have increased NPIs at the school (snack time now splits the kids among multiple rooms so they can all be far apart when eating, etc.)

I'd rather keep him out, I think, but he was pretty upset about not going on Monday. He's had two jabs now, although the last one was on 12/31, so he's not fully vaxxed yet.

I have to say that I'm not real impressed with his mask, though. The first ones we got him had a removeable 2.5um insert; of course, he removed and played with it so welp. We just got him some new masks and they're made of a shiny/smooth material that I can see light through when holding them up. I tried the blow test with them and it was no effort at all to blow out the lighter my wife was holding :ohdear:

Where does someone get child-sized masks that aren't garbage? He's 5, so we're talking pretty small.

Of course, the next hurdle will be how to convince him to wear those instead of his Marvel-themed ones . . . I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, though.

mastershakeman posted:

around the time of this post, covid hospitalizations have set a new record, passing the previous trump lame duck era peak of 127k

I know you didn't mean it like this, but your post and my post together as they are make me feel like a really lovely parent lol :(

Edit: quoted both posts because somehow I shamefully sniped a new page

Zarin fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 5, 2022

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Illuminti posted:

I have literally been complaining to my wife for the last two weeks or so that my concentration is completely shot. I'm finding it very hard to concentrate for anything like the length of time i used to. I have a job that requires sitting on my own, being given a problem/task and working out how to solve it. I used to be able to crank out hours without getting up. Recently I can't do ten minutes.

I haven't have COVID, what I have had is nearly two years working at home on my own, lots of cancelled holidays, a bit to much drinking and to be honest projects I'm really not enjoying. I have the symptoms of long covid though!

Please don't doxx me or post my own internal monologue, thanks.

Fake edit: the working from home thing has been pretty great because lol if my employer would actually shell out the (to them, inconsequential) amount of money that I did on my workstation but yeah the rest of it kinda sucks!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Dick Trauma posted:

CEO with COVID came to work anyway. Two more people came up positive from yesterday's onsite test. Literally everyone here could work from home, but they won't close the office. If the CEO insists on keeping the office open there's no way we don't all get this disease.

EDIT: Goddamn CEO who usually spends all day in his office keeps circulating around the place, crowing about how he's the safest person to be around because he already had COVID and couldn't possibly be contagious.

I emailed my boss and HR and told them that I want to work from home. Curious to see how they respond.

Do you already have VPN/the ability to work from home?

If there's one thing I've come to realize during this pandemic, it's that leadership is GOING to fail you, repeatedly, on almost every level.

For myself, I've decided that I'll go back into the office when I'm comfortable in doing so, and stop going into the office when I become uncomfortable. I'm not really asking for permission on this; if I get called on it, then I'll say "sorry, didn't realize I needed to be there" and then figure out what I'll do from there.

Not sure what your situation is, and if you could quietly just stop going in without too many people noticing, but I will say that I'm just absolutely flabbergasted at how entirely useless every "leader" has been. I know what the right answer is (work remote, stay safe, keep everyone else safe), but for some reason the people who style themselves as "having vision" or whatever the gently caress take longer to see it than I do. Absolutely disappointing.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
USA Question:

Did the Executive Mandate for Federal Contractors get opined on by the Supreme Court?

I know the OSHA one was up for debate; I also know there was some sort of injunction put on it. Was that temporary, or did it get fully killed?

I ask because there was a spicy post in our all-company forum that got deleted pretty fast, demanding that the company apologize for pushing an illegal mandate on us. Except we were technically covered by both the OSHA and the Federal Contractor mandates, so I think that we're still under a governmental vaccine mandate, yeah? Regardless, the company got ahead of it and said "Eh, legal challenges or not, it's within our right to require it so we're still gonna".

Just curious on the status of the Federal Contractor Executive Order, I guess!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

freebooter posted:

It's possible to believe that China's COVID policies have so far avoided the death and disruption visited upon most of the world, which is good, and that it's a dystopian ethno-nationalist police state, which is bad. Those are not mutually exclusive statements.

I understand that you have a different opinion than the US group due to a different lived experience, but . . . given the choice, I think a lot of us (in the US) would have preferred something that at least approximated the concept of "leadership" instead of "uh, well, the dollars must flow; godspeed, everyone!".

I, for one, cannot fault the people looking to a place that managed to lock the virus out for the mostpart and say "drat, must be nice."

Sure it's unfortunate that they didn't go all-in on mRNA and push for shots in arms during the time they bought themselves, and those are all valid points! But I think you might be swingin' a bit more for the other fences given your personal distaste for lockdowns, and I think it might be worth evaluating that.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Herstory Begins Now posted:

idk man I have a ton of criticisms of how the US and a ton of other countries handled the pandemic but I'm stunned that china apparently hosed around on getting 2nd and 3rd shots into people in the time they bought themselves.

Oh yeah no they definitely hosed around in the ninth inning because they thought they won the game and it may very well come back and roundhouse them in the face.

If anything, I feel like that takes even more wind out of the "dystopian authoritarian" narrative because apparently people had a choice on whether to get vaccinated or not and overall they chose "not".

To me, that speaks to a hybrid "do actual lockdowns" and "get shots in arms" is the winning strategy that I . . . don't really know was employed effectively anywhere.

Ultimately, what I see is "we could have done better" as a species and we simply just . . . didn't. :(

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

freebooter posted:

(I'm also quite often the only person at the grocery store or whatever still choosing to wear a mask, but I've never once had anyone give me poo poo or even look at me funny, which strikes me as a pretty key difference to what I understand much of the US is like).

Yeah, I figure I'll keep wearing 'em in stores until none of the employees are anymore.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
All Moderna here, shot number 2 put me in bed for around 18 hours. It was odd because my body was like 'OMG U HAEV TEH FLU' but besides chills and bodyaches (which were alleviated by blankets, a heating pad, and scrolling around on my phone) I didn't have any of the mental fog, nausea, or other misery that comes with actually being sick.

Third shot did mostly the same thing to me but I just cranked the bed heater up and slept through most of it. Got the shot around lunchtime on Friday, logged off a bit early when the malaise hit, and was back to normal by Sunday morning.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Dick Trauma posted:

I think my immune system is probably crap because all three shots did nothing other than give me a sort arm for a couple of days.

I'm not sure that's a fair take. My understanding is that vaccine response does not necessarily correlate with vaccine/immune system efficacy.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I got an email from the health department that I can get a second booster if I want it.

I will be traveling for work soon . . . on the other hand, I had read ITT that getting boosters too frequently could make the body stop caring about the virus, which seems extra-bad.

First booster was a few weeks before Thanksgiving and (to my knowledge) I have not had COVID.

Thoughts?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Fritz the Horse posted:

For your specific situation, do you have any high-risk conditions? Do you live or have close contact with anyone who is high-risk? When is your trip? What precautions will you be taking during the trip and what precautions will those around you be using? Keep in mind a booster will take a couple weeks to kick in.

I assume that the bivalent boosters Moderna is working on will still be available if you get a booster now.

Appreciate the effortpost, and apologies for repeating garbage then, my bad!

The only high-risk condition I have is that I'm a chonky boi. Did start going back to the gym this week though because when I helped my dad with yardwork over the weekend it just FLATTENED me. Absolutely abysmal shape I'm in, it seems.

I don't know if my wife his high-risk or not. She has asthma (well controlled) and I guess Advair or whatever is a minor steroid so maybe minorly immunosuppressed?

Trip is apparently starting May 9th. Maybe. That got dropped on me today and I wasn't really expecting that.

Precautions: I'll wear my N95 on the plane/airport. Probably not at the destination; it's not a conference, maybe just 8-12 people max. Large conference room and/or individual workstations in an office through the day.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

spankmeister posted:

What are you looking for here, really? Permission to get a booster? You have our permission.
An excuse not to get one because of some pseudoscientific antivax nonsense? You won't get it here.

The decision is yours.

Nope, I was just looking to see if "getting too many boosters" (spaced 6+ months apart) was Actually Bad. Looks like the answer to that is "lol, nope, that's dumb as hell" so that settles that.

haveblue posted:

If you want to be told what to do, get the booster unless your doctor (no one else) gave you a specific reason not to (uncertainty doesn't count)

Not particularly, but good advice nonetheless!

Fritz the Horse posted:

It sounds like both you and your wife might have some moderate risk factors.

The short time frame of your departure means a booster won't have much time to kick in. If you're going to get a booster, get it ASAP so it has more time to take effect.

tbh if I were in your situation I would be rushing to get a booster* and making arrangements to potentially miss work for a day. When I got my third shot I had a fever of 101F, chills, and fatigue for a day. The only reason I see to skip a booster is if you absolutely can't afford a recovery day in case you have significant side effects.

*We're not your doctor. But I don't see a good reason for you to not get a booster tomorrow?

Appreciate it. Yeah, 3rd shot for me (iirc) I got it at 11am, had chills overnight, was mostly okay by the next morning and probably back to normal by that evening.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bottom Liner posted:

I had 2 shots and 1 booster (in Oct) and had Omi in January. Should I go ahead and get another booster? My Publix has walk in availability. I have to travel next weekend by plane and can't find much guidance on 2nd booster post omicron (otherwise healthy adult).

Thread advice to me was "why not?" and I had no answer to that so I went and got it.

Maybe you have a different answer, I dunno!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bottom Liner posted:

That's seems at odds with other opinions and what the pharmacist said ("anyone that comes in and wants a second booster can get it"). I came to ask because if I am able to get it, it's advisable all around right?

Also, CDC guidance is not exactly the best since they dropped recommended isolation period to 5 days, no?

I feel like I can't trust any information from just about anywhere at this point, CDC included. :sigh:

Even if I don't suspect that any given set of information is politically motivated, then I still have concerns that it's incomplete at best.

I really don't know how we got to this point, but I think I hate it.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

gohuskies posted:

Even if the CDC is wrong, their guidance matters a lot for what people are "supposed to do". Giving people vaccines against CDC instructions could be out of a pharmacist's scope of practice and they could potentially get in trouble for it.

Oh, I certainly understand all that.

And I agree, what they say is still "important" because it absolutely influences all manner of behaviors.

I have to travel for work soon and I am not at all amused that they dropped the mask mandates on airlines.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Oracle posted:

I thought the airlines themselves did that after that chudge made that calvinball ruling in Florida.

Oh, you might very well be right about that! But I thought I remember hearing that they weren't gonna bother fighting it because they were planning on dropping it a few weeks later anyway.

I could definitely be wrong about that second piece too. Unfortunately it's all sorta faded into the background as everything seems to be more or less open as normal anymore (except a lot of places that used to be 24h aren't anymore)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Main Paineframe posted:

The judge overturned the mask mandate on April 18th, and the DOJ announced their intent to appeal on April 20th. Since then, there's no been no further updates on the progress of the case.

Currently, the CDC still strongly recommends masking on all public transit. While the mask mandate was originally expected to end on May 3rd, the CDC has announced continued recommendations for masking, citing rising cases.

Ah, thank you for the clarification, much appreciated!

I had thought that usually during an appeal the law in question would continue to be upheld but I figure there's probably a whole lot that goes into determining whether something continues or not during the appeal process.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Well, at least for me, came in to ask because I had picked up some misinformation somewhere along the way and needed a sanity check.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Tiny Timbs posted:

The infectious disease community conning people about their expertise for over half a century ought to have been more of a story imo

Ehh, I dunno if it's quite that.

iirc some lady was like "what is the difference between an aerosol and a droplet? What is special about this demarcation?" and after she spent a year going through wizard libraries or whatever she found the first book that made the distinction and the guy was like "Hmm I dunno where the difference really lies but, gently caress it, for the sake of argument let's start here" and he drew a sharpie line on a chart between some random droplet sizes and somehow that just became repeated forever that that was the difference between a droplet and an aerosol.

lol

"I dunno, we've always done it this way"

Wish I could find the article, it was really fascinating the amount of effort she had to go through to challenge that kind of institutional inertia.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Just reread it, thanks!

What a great article, everyone should check it out.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Main Paineframe posted:

What's being presented in the article isn't a choice between boosters and nothing, it's a potential choice between standard boosters now or omicron boosters in a month or two.

If an omicron booster is just around the corner, it's not ridiculous to wait for that. Giving everyone an omicron booster in September or October might very well be better than giving everyone a standard booster in August and then waiting till next year to get them omicron boosters.

The reason the decision is being delayed is because the FDA has asked manufacturers that exact question and is waiting for a reply.

Based on everything so far, I have to imagine that the Omicron boosters will be gatekept hard as hell for at least the first several months anyway. And I'm skeptical that they'll end up hitting these September/October timelines anyway, though I'd love to be wrong.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Platystemon posted:

They are all deficient at preventing the spread of airborne diseases. The difference between 98% and 95% BFE/PFE is inconsequential when large quantities of air are allowed to bypass the filter entirely.

I don't disagree, so don't take me the wrong way.

But - and I say this having never worn a bog-standard blue surgical - don't those mostly work by having an absorbent pad that hoovers up most of the droplets/aerosols before the air itself is pushed around the gaping gaps on the side of the mask? So I feel they're at least better than a porous cloth mask one can easily blow a candle out through - unless I'm missing something, of course!

Granted, I'd have much preferred to live in a world where the progression was: Literally Put Anything Over Your Mouth Please, For The Love of God -> No Gaiters/Bandannas -> Surgical Blue or Better -> Here are a Shitload of Resources on How to Know if Your Mask Fits Well -> N95 or Better

Along with "Here is a comical amount of money for the following:
• Indoor Ventilation Improvement
• Outdoor Space Improvement
• Outdoor Space Creation
• UV Implementation"

We'd be in a much different place today if that had been the approach. But it wasn't, so we're here instead. Unfortunate.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Platystemon posted:

When droplets are sufficiently small, they very effectively follow the airstream. They don’t have enough mass to go their own way. The innumerable collisions that they undergo every millisecond force them into the same path as the gas.* Unfortunately, the human respiratory system readily produces droplets this small.

Consider how gases move. It’s not like a spoon under a faucet, where the stream slams into the surface and is then redirected to the sides. Volumes of gases are acted upon by adjacent volumes of gases. The resistance of the filter creates a pressure gradient that forces gases out the side without having ever come into contact with the filter.

*There are slight differences, and exploiting these differences is how we get modern particulate filters. If you pass a volume of air through a dense thicket of tiny fibers, the particles have a high chance of being hung up on a fiber at some point, while the gases bounce right off and make it through. If a volume of air doesn’t pass through such a fiber network, the particles embedded in it will remain.

It is not impossible to blow out a candle through an N95.

It was perhaps a useful demonstration to rule out some of the worst offenders when it was impossible to buy N95 respirators off the shelf, but real PPE can fail it and worthless junk can pass it.

Appreciate the effortpost! As always, top-tier posting.

I guess maybe I just wanted to believe that in a world of Me Wearing a Vflex, others doing less (but still doing something) were still doing more. I dunno.

Really makes me think that the future is a government mandate for everyone to wear a PAPR but I'll probably never see that eventuality so I should probably learn to accept what I can get. *sigh*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Dick Trauma posted:

Well I'm just doing what the powers that be say I should do and when I should do it. If that's somehow wrong then gently caress it, we're all pretty much adrift anyway.

Don't the powers-that-be keep making you go into an office with a bunch of unmasked people when you are perfectly capable of performing your work duties remotely?

Edit: Maybe that's :thejoke: