Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

my cousin in LA won't buy a switch because his friend works at Nintendo and says it's the deep state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

poll plane variant posted:

Our security forces are politically unreliable and will not typically fire on or otherwise get physical with whites, especially conservative-presenting whites, even to protect high-level nuclear secrets etc. If you are white you can just walk in anywhere and do whatever you want.

rich-presenting whites is the important bit, I think. The cops kill minorities at 1.6x the rate they kill whites or something, but last I checked they still kill significantly more whites overall because of relative demographics.

To be clear, the point I am trying to make is that unless you're a rich white person you should not assume the cops aren't going to kill you, and should treat any interaction with them as if it's life-and-death.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 18, 2021

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

LionArcher posted:

I started reading c spam more and delta happened.

:whatup: buddy

It's actually been good for my mental health because I'm a lot more focused on enjoying whatever time I can each day with my kids and family. The future is coming, we're taking steps to protect ourselves from COVID and taking what steps we can to protect ourselves from the future, but poo poo just looks pretty dark and so I find it very refreshing to just try to be mindfully aware of how hosed everything is, not shying away from that but also breathing deeply and enjoying the sunshine etc. I can't promise my kids that we're not all going to die in a desert together in 20 years, but I can help all of us enjoy the time we've got now -- and for most of human history that seems to have been an important skill, because life for most humans seems like it's always been pretty uncertain and lovely and full of abrupt unpleasantness.

Got new P100 filter carts for my 6xxx, but that's really for (actual) shop use. I wanna see if I can get mastervlad's skull mod on an envomask....

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Wear a mask when you change your cat litter, but also don’t use clay poo poo because the dust is not good for cats.

We get this stuff called okocat delivered from Chewy, it does not produce dust, and changing the litter does not cause the air quality sensor right next to it to blip.

Running a closed ethanol loop nearby for about 20 seconds, does indeed trip the air quality sensor, hence p100 vapor filters for doing extraction work, for cat poo poo I wear whatever is nearby and handy.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Cost is also a factor. It probably won't be something you can afford to just have laying around if it tracks with similar drugs (Remdesivir is like $2-3k a treatment if it's not subsidized).

speak for yourself, I will absolutely liquidate magic cards to have magic covid pills on hand.

I also keep broad and narrow spectrum antibiotics, specific antivirals, myriad painkillers and other psychotropics on hand. You can never be too sure!

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Coldrice posted:

A mod FINALLY got back to me, and I was able to post a Covid Simulator thread in Games

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982245

yep this is awesome now go chase those grant dollars ;)

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 18, 2021

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Illuminti posted:

It's going to be studies that include having a headache and feeling tired 4 weeks after infection as Long Covid.

While these are, obviously, symptoms that can arise from myriad causes, you seem to be suggesting (correct me if I am wrong) that they are never "real" long covid symptoms?

Long covid appears to have a lot in common with ME/CFS, which has both fatigue and myalgia as symptoms.

If I got COVID and then I was dealing with unreasonable fatigue and headaches as a result months later, yeah, I'd feel like the virus had impaired me.

Have some people simply developed these symptoms from the stress of the experience? That sounds like reasonable conjecture that makes sense to me.

The anecdotal flipside is I know 3 people who still have hosed up taste/smell 8-12 months post COVID (in one case, an early-boosted, early breakthrough case) and one woman with pretty severe neurological problems that she's constantly being MRI'd for (post-wildtype, she's a "curiousity" to Dartmouth hospital) out of the ~30 people I know who have COVID, and a couple of them also reported general malaise persisting for quite a while.

The bottom line is, I think it's very reasonable to assume from the data that some number of people are dealing with headaches and fatigue as the result of a viral or post-viral condition, and suggesting that some or a lot of them may actually just be dealing with pandemic stress seems unhelpful, and, lacking any actual data about the prevalence of "real" long COVID, seems prone to leading to hopeful thinking which may be dangerous.

Willa Rogers posted:

Does anyone know the vaccination rate for children in comparably sized cities, such as NYC & L.A.?

Nope, digging. Our kid got #1 on her 5th bday and #2 21 days later and everyone in my tiny rear end sleepy mountain community seems to be jabbing the gently caress out of our kids because we'd like to let them interact with marginally less anxiety.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

enki42 posted:

I don't know what the proposed solution is supposed to be that makes the parents worthy of having children. Is the point that we need to force people to be housewives and / or househusbands again? Because I don't see any other option, and for the most part one persons salary can't support a family unless you're fairly well off anyway.

many progressive offices allow dogs, and, frankly, my 5 year old is much better at self-monitoring than a loving dog could ever be. Give her markers, a dollhouse and an ipad, tell her she has to play with drawing and the dollhouse for 60 mins to earn 30 mins on the iPad, and she'll basically alternate these things indefinitely with very little input. She even goes to the bathroom by herself!

"Kid friendly offices" are clearly a thing of the post-covid, post-functional-public-ed world. And then it'll be like, your office also teaches your kid, and so if you work at Google your kid gets a generally better but also much more fascist education than if you worked at Yahoo\!.

Alctel posted:

How the hell do you deal with that?
We maintain a 2 week supply of water, a 6 week supply of food, various medications and antibiotics, and I am in the process of buying an AK-47 to supplement the random firearms, bows and blades that we use to scare off large predators and deal with suspiciously friendly raccoons.

This is less dealing with anything than preparing for the inevitable :allears:

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 14, 2022

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

loving weird to see a new troll account born

highlander ii is definitely the worst thing the franchise ever produced and is also the worst movie Sean Connery was in by miles

also, isn't the average price of a movie now like fifteen dollars? so for the cost of seeing like 50 movies in a theater you can get a nice short throw projector, which will work in surprisingly tight spaces, and have a 8-15' screen at home, and not pay dumb amounts for food or be told "hey you can't smoke pot in here", "everyone you are sitting next to has COVID", etc.

we got a projector in 2016 and movie theaters seem like a weird inconvenience. if i want a social movie experience, we have multiple couches in the living room. Granted, I am a contrarian on this, but I am dismayed that the theater industry survived covid, it sees very needless.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

Jury's still out on that one. I have a friend who works for Regal (and has forever); he left one theater that was closing and moved to another that is basically deserted, with less than a few dozen customers a day. Niche theaters that serve beer and show old movies and stuff should be able to continue, but the big multiplexes are still in serious danger.

I feel bad for displaced workers, but I'll shed no tears for multiplexes, they suck.