Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

buglord posted:

I downed 2 tubes of paste and i've been craving apples all afternoon

if this transformation is actually happening , does that *other* part turn horse sized as well

Your rear end? Absolutely. It's gonna get so big and strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I don't like wearing a mask everywhere, and just because I'm more than glad to comply with the rules for my health and the health of others doesn't mean I want to wear a mask forever. I felt great at the beginning of the summer when we could take them off because the vaccines truly did provide for all intents and purposes immunity from the old virus. That was awesome, it felt wonderful.

I'll keep wearing my mask per public health regulations, but when Delta dies down and we get our boosters and hit 80%, 90% vaccination rate and the public health authorities say "alright guys you don't need them anymore" I'll sure as hell be glad to put it away.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Looks like China has another outbreak, we'll see how they do with it. Pretty small, and concentrated in unvaccinated schoolkids.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Vasukhani posted:

Why is the process for children so much longer? This is absurd. The costs of kids getting critically ill from covid is much higher the risk of a few side effects.

That may be your judgement, but I don't think its the judgement of the medical community or most of society. We want to be careful with our kids.

Man, it is going to be incredible in 2022 when we are able to vaccinate all the kids. I think that will really allow us to turn the corner on this pandemic, and hopefully getting back to a more normal life will coincide perfectly with the midterms.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
That's really sad, I'm sorry. The death is so senseless, so unnecessary.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
e: I don't think anybody is making excuses for Trump itt ^^^

Mellow Seas posted:

I go around in my highly vaccinated state and most people are still wearing masks indoors. The guidance that the CDC gave in May was bad, given that they knew Delta was coming, but the people who were wearing masks before still are, and the ones who weren't still aren't. Masks were never widely adopted in the states that are currently dealing with surges, not even in mid-2020.

Pretty much. I imagine that a lot of goons who despair over masks live in chud-run states where nobody ever followed the rules for more than a month or two in 2020. That sucks, but in other parts of the country people are happy to follow the rules for public health.

How are u fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 15, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
e: well how did this happen

e2: posting an animal from my imgur folder

How are u fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 15, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Vasukhani posted:

If the US federal government cannot impose an extremely simple public health measure on a subnational unit I think it's time to consider the country done. Not like it will Balkanize in 100 years, but like, already non existent. Image how such a consideration would look in any other country.

This seems rather dramatic. The US is still here no matter how upset you are with our covid response and policies thus far. We're going to be around for a while yet, inshallah.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Illuminti posted:

Big ONS study out on Long Covid and it's good news for kids

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...20to1august2021

Probably the most salient point is that at the 4 week check in and at the 12 week check in more kids aged 2-11 years in the non-covid control group were reporting long covid symptoms that the kids with covid.

I suspect that, 5 or 10 years down the line, we will find that 'long covid' ended up being a pretty small and insignificant thing, all in all. This is heartening.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Welcome to the Something Awful forums, new user Bane Mask Golem. It's nice to have brand new users joining the conversation :)

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I was not under the impression that "sterilizing immunity" was our public health standard. I don't think anybody in power or any organization has held that to be the standard, as far as I recall anyway.

The vaccines keep us from dying, I think that's an incredible thing and I'm not going to demand the impossible of 100% sterilizing immunity. We'll all catch covid eventually, but we'll be fine.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hell yeah, got that Moderna coursing through my veins, baby!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

mod sassinator posted:

This is exactly what I said. Only your doctor can declare you immunocompromised and everyone should discuss the matter with them to find their opinion and recommendation.

At no point have I said you should lie to anyone, including your doctor. It would be lunacy to try lying to your doctor as they can directly evaluate and see your condition.

Being immunocompromised is not like bankruptcy. You don't get to just declare it. You either are for a series of specific reasons, or you are not. Being anxious about covid is not one of those conditions, but you could and should talk to a professional about anxiety because there are treatments for it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
It doesn't seem technocratic to me, could you maybe expand on why you think that? The Biden admin has been pushing the idea of boosters pretty hard, they clearly, clearly want to roll them out. The FDA coming out against the need for immediate boosters for the public at large seems to me to be pretty clearly scientists pushing back against popular public perception that boosters are necessary, based on science and data.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

What's weird about this? Vaccinated people are getting breakthrough infections all the time. This is very well established, the vaccines do not provide sterilizing immunity. The vaccines are keeping these people from getting severe covid, hospitalization, and death.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The deaths are preventable if folks get the free vaccine. I sure wish they'd just do that.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'm not wishing death on anybody. At this point in the pandemic in the United States if somebody has not taken the vaccine (outside of an extremely small group of immunocompromised folks + kids young enough to not be eligible) then it is absolutely entirely your own choice. That's the facts, as far as I see them. I wish people would make better choices to save their own lives, and I'm glad that mandates and an increasing amount of 'sticks' present in society are slowly making a difference in the overall vaccine rate.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Vasukhani posted:

If you have a doctor you're rich. Hope this helps. Did you go to a non-emergent doctor's appointment at some point after your discharge? Did you get annual/semi-regular check-ups? If so, you're in the elite.

I have had a doctor while on Medicaid, a Federal healthcare program that you can only qualify for if you fall within a certain degree of the poverty line.

e: link for further reading if you are interested https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicaid

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Vasukhani posted:

Doesn't change the fact that something like 40% of Americans don't regularly go to the doctor.

I agree that that's concerning, I wish people would go to the doctor more often. I was, however, merely responding to your false assertion that the only people who have doctors are rich.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I think that most of the people who are so far down the rightwing propaganda hole that they literally do not get news from anywhere else are pretty bad loving people. Those are the worst of the chuds, the fascists who want people like me dead and want authoritarian fascism rather than democracy. I don't really have a lot of sympathy for those specific people, at all.

I would still hope that they get vaccinated and save their lives, but I'm also not losing any sleep whatsoever when it comes to those people.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Fritz the Horse posted:

Double posting because this is a totally different topic that I don't want to get lost.

Thank you for sharing this info, it's more heartening news.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
You clearly put a lot of work into that game and I just want to say it looks really cool.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I think I'm pretty secure in the thought that, if I had the chance to go back in time and choose to ride out the pandemic as either a citizen of China living under the CCP or to live it out as I have as an American over again, I'd definitely stay over here. That's a no-brainer for me.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

poll plane variant posted:

I'd switch in a heartbeat just to be a citizen of a country that isn't rotting

Hey fair enough, that's your opinion and it's as valid as any. Do you plan to emigrate at some point and become a citizen?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I dont really see anything wrong with going to brunch if you're fully vaccinated and willing to tolerate the risks. I'd probably go depending on the circumstances and whether it was outdoors.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
The case rate in my state is already dropping, we are at 70% fully vaccinated and 80% with one dose, and in my area in particular the case rates are way, way down (delta has mainly been hitting the chud parts).

I dunno, I feel pretty ok about it. Last week when I went out for my first in person happy hour with a coworker since 2020 I felt ok with the risk.

It was my personal risk assessment and so far so good.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

nexous posted:

Well anecdotally I haven’t got Covid, so you’re wrong

Hey me too! We are going camping and we've stopped to eat luncj/dinner outdoors at a small town pizzeria. The beer is so good!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Were your friends and family who have passed vaccinated? I am truly sorry either way.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I cook plenty of great food at home and also very much enjoy going to restaurants to eat delicious food I cant or won't cook myself.

Restaurants are fun and good :)

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
10 years from now, hopefully, covid will just be another nuisance illness that is as dangerous, truly this time, as the flu. It seems quite clear to me that eradication is impossible, so we are left with learning to live with it, with the enormous advantage of our incredible vaccination technology. I'm certainly not happy about it, but I'm not happy about inevitable climate catastrophes either and that's just the world we live in.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I miss the human contact, and I'm a pretty introverted person who has handled things pretty well so far with regards to that, I think.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'll happily agree that China's style of locking down has been effective, but I very much disagree that it is tenable long-term. At some point even China is going to have to learn to live with covid. New Zealand and Australia have already hit the limit of 'zero covid' policies' effectiveness under delta + what their citizens are willing to tolerate. China will end up no different. It is entirely fanciful to imagine a world 5 years from now where China is still enacting harsh lockdowns in pursuit of 'zero covid' while the rest of the world is living with the endemic virus.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Living with covid is going to look a lot better when nations and societies are sitting at 90%+ vaccinations, and we can do all the kids. It's definitely going to take a while to get to that level in the US, that's for sure.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Gio posted:

Singapore is 80%+ vaccinated and experiencing a significant wave of Delta infections.

Infections, sure, but infections are going to be entirely normal. Deaths and the ability of healthcare systems to cope are the metrics we need to focus on.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I started going to the gym again back at the beginning of the summer, pre-delta. It was really wonderful. We live in a ~700 square foot apartment with multiple cats and so indoor exercise is pretty lovely. Outdoor is ok but you're limited by weather and there's no equipment. Going back to the gym was so, so nice both in terms of physical health and mental health.

Haven't been for the last 2 months, but delta is slowly receding in my state and more so in my region so I expect we'll be able to go back within a few weeks. I'm really looking forward to it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Huh looks like The View hosts who 'tested positive' the other day did not, in fact, test positive.

https://jezebel.com/so-it-turns-out-the-view-hosts-did-not-test-positive-fo-1847752891

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
My work is sending out n95s to everyone, a new policy after updating their covid policies the other week. I dont plan to shave my beard to wear them, though. That seems to me a little excessive for my situation.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Are the p100s the full-on Bane-style cover your whole head and face respirators?

If so I would have no idea why people wear them, I've literally never seen a single person in one this entire pandemic.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Jesus, how many people itt wear the full elasto masks?

Never seen a single one in my area that takes masking pretty seriously, and never in any of my travels around our region throughout the pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

poll plane variant posted:

You may not be seeing them because your local area takes masking pretty seriously

That's a fair point, I consider myself lucky that my region is as good as it is about mask compliance, vaccination uptake, and just a lack of lovely chuds in general.