Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

Colonel, there's no exposed breasts in these dark souls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EEQ5Lj-cXM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bknyohYQOI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdyxBewlS8w

Based on the ground-breaking, bestselling comics written by Brian K. Vaughn & illustrated by Pia Guerra, Y: The Last Man is a thoroughly modernized look at this classic science fiction fable.
Episodes 1-3 were batch-dropped on Hulu, with new episodes coming out on Mondays until October 4th, at which point the series may take a break before releasing the final 4 episodes of Season 1.

So far... I absolutely love it! While the original comic was an incredible story for me, I was a teen, barely 16 when I started reading them. It was the early 2000's and the issues that I am aware of today were still years from my mind. This retelling helps to reframe some of the more obvious issues that would be faced if all mammals with a Y chromosome just dropped dead.

The main villain of the series, such as it is currently, appears to be a slap-you-in-the-face it's so obvious analogue of the real world's Meghan McCain and so far I think the show is doing a good job establishing the kind of mind-shattering pathos that would occur if suddenly half of everyone you knew died. Your husbands and brothers and fathers and sons and cousins and nephews, all gone, not in a puff of smoke, but in pools of blood.

Yorick (Ben Schnetzer) is eminently hateable and selfish out of the box, which seems more pronounced here than in the comic books, but as a comic book fan I'm ready to give him room to breathe. Agent 355 (Ashley Romans) is so perfectly cast and just oozes charisma and authority in every scene. I am transfixed by her. If every other part of this series fails for me, I'll watch every episode of this for her. Unreal good. While there are many stellar performances so far, I have to say that Senator Brown, played by the electric Diane Lane, is just incredible. There is a level of empathy wrapped around every line she speaks, you can feel every year of her life bolstering her delivery. I absolutely believe, in my core, that this woman is a leader and she is doing the best she can.

This show is very strong so far. It's like an interesting post-Bechdel exploration of feminist fiction, in that the central premise of the show revolves around men, but the stories inside are entirely about women. Even Yorick's plotline revolves entirely around his fiancé and his mother and his sister and 355. There's only one genetic male left on Earth, so in a way he's the most important person on Earth, but in another very real way he is the least important part of the show so far. Every woman's struggle, every slight, every tearful moment so far... this show just has an incredible cast doing incredible work so far, I can't wait to see where it goes. Setting a post-apocalypse so close to our current pre-apocalypse, with all of today's spiciest modern political issues front & center, is engaging me in a way I wasn't prepared for. It feels like the first authentically post-COVID piece of fiction i've seen.

DISCLAIMER: I'm a cisgender male, so I really can't speak to whether or not the trans-representation in the show is good or not, but given the lengths this show is going to get things right, I'd be very interested to hear those perspectives regarding Hero's partner/best friend and their trans-specific issues in the post-apocalypse.

:siren::siren: PLEASE KEEP ALL GRAPHIC NOVEL SPOILER DISCUSSION OUT OF THE THREAD OR THOUROUGHLY SPOILER-BARRED. WE DO NOT KNOW WHERE THE SHOW IS GOING AND DO NOT WANT TO SPOIL IT FOR FIRST TIMERS AND NEW FANS!!!!:siren::siren:

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Music and performances are excellent. A bit slow though tbh.

Bust Rodd posted:

It feels like the first authentically post-COVID piece of fiction i've seen.

Should have watched Creamerie.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

First episode was a little meh, but it's a solid adaptation and I hope they get enough seasons to tell the whole story (even if they have to speed it up and do it in 3 or four seasons). Edit to make sure I contain no spoilers or vagueness about it, just saying I hope they get to do the whole thing.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Bust Rodd posted:

Agent 355 (Ashley Romans) is so perfectly cast and just oozes charisma and authority in every scene. I am transfixed by her. If every other part of this series fails for me, I'll watch every episode of this for her.

Couldn't agree with this more.

I read this series probably about halfway through the run back when it came out and don't really remember much so I'm excited to see where the story goes.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I was skeptical about the casting choice for Yorick, but seeing him in action sold me. Watching the first ep, they do a ton of character setup for the whole cast in a not awful way, so there’s that. I don’t remember much about the comic series either, but it’d be cool if this turned out to be good tv.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I really liked the first two episodes, and there's good stuff in the third, but the whole Marin Ireland subplot in the third episode was just the pits. And I have a predisposition to liking Marin Ireland.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Fragmented posted:

Couldn't agree with this more.

:same:

Ashley Romans is a superb 355. Also didn't know that Vaughn and Guerra were producing this, cool! :yum:

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

It's alright so far, but I can't say that I'm fan of the lovely republican sideplot.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Yorick and his stupid loving monkey are the worst part of this show, so far. Yorick seems utterly unnecessary to any of the actually interesting aspects of the premise, and the loving monkey is just weird and distracting. I hate the monkey. Hate that it exists.

Also, it seems like the side stories (like the woman and her daughter who got left behind by their friends and then briefly heard a radio station - I don't know who she is or why she's in the show) are just padding the runtime. And it really doesn't need padding.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tiggum posted:

Also, it seems like the side stories (like the woman and her daughter who got left behind by their friends and then briefly heard a radio station - I don't know who she is or why she's in the show) are just padding the runtime. And it really doesn't need padding.

She is (was) some sort of staffer for the previous "Totally not a clone of George W. Bush" president that died. Not sure if she was, like, "Chief of Staff" or just some lower role, but we briefly saw her being goaded into shooting a gun by that president, but not much else. I assume she must be a lower level staffer since I would assume that someone as important as Chief of Staff would have been at the Pentagon with him when he died.

Hence why she tried to get past the blockage, cause she assumed she was "important enough."

I think they're showing her to sort of show us what the day to day life is like for the "average" person left? Not in a city, not in the government inner circle, just trying to loot homes for food and not die of cold or starvation.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

My theory is that the President’s PA (Nora Brady as played by Marin Ireland) is there to show us the full radicalization process. We already have Blondie McJerkbag who is the obviously born into wealth and power who sucks, but here is a woman who seems to be a totally normal suburban career mom. She has a big burly husband who loves her and supports her and splits the work and they “have it all”.

The scene where she can’t even keep her eyes open during the gun shot is there to set up something, I’m sure of it, and my guess is that going from working inside the White House to not being called or recognized and left with no food or directions or resources to help her and her starving daughter… oh yeah, we’re watching her turn into a radical, she’s going to become a monster out of necessity, instead of being born into your terrible opinions like the “main” villain.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

This conspiracy nutjob bit that was hinted at, was that in the comic, too, or is that an adaptation to current affairs?

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I do believe I may have shit my pants. I hope this accident was worth it for Lowtax' spine.

355 totally sabotaged that helicopter right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

355 totally sabotaged that helicopter right?

Oh absolutely