Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Out of the gate strong with a big meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Craptacular! posted:

As I've been really mad at Apple recently so a lot of this hits me as "air wanking motion" stuff but is 64GB really the ONLY storage option on the base iPad?

They spent development cycles automatically offloading "unused" apps rather than just putting a few bucks more flash.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
WHY ARE YOU WALKING AROUND. Just stand there, stop being so WEIRD.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

DoomTrainPhD posted:

tbf, when you sell a billion iPads, a few bucks extra per iPad is huge.

I knowwwww. And really, I wonder what the actual percent utilized of the storage is for most iPads. I bet it's under 50% for the majority.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Honestly, I have a big fat iPad Pro, and it's great. But I kinda want a mini to be its little buddy for when it's just too obnoxiously huge. If this thing isn't a giant ripoff, might be worth it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Also they've been trying to force AR for years. Stop trying to make it happen, it's not going to happen.

Al-Saqr posted:

Seeing Silicon Valley freakazoids speak in their pitch mode is literally the actual vision of a boot stepping on a human face.

100%. They're like meat puppets possessed by the Corporate Spirit that can only speak Marketing, the worst English dialect.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
They're really hardselling the Tiny iPad for Kids and Poors.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Imagine walking around an urban hellscape or riding an escalator with your iPad out and not having it stolen or getting your rear end kicked on principle.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

thrawn527 posted:

This video feels like part of the new Matrix trailer.

"Are you telling me I can add external storage?"
"No, Neo. I am telling you that once you sell out to the ecosystem, you won't have to."

Al-Saqr posted:

I dont get why they're so insistent on the cameras on ipads being a thing, I mean yeah it's cool but I would much rather they just make their ipads support logic or final cut or something more useful. I mean hell introducing 'Xbox game pass for iPad' would be huge.

Yes. But kids do use them a lot when schools issue them.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

FCKGW posted:

The mini costs more than the regular iPad

I think I was running a few minutes behind. WHAT THE gently caress, what was the price?!?!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I've always wanted an Apple Watch, but I have literally zero use case for one. I don't want to get texts all the time and it's not going to shift my activity level.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

thrawn527 posted:

New iPad is $329. New iPad Mini is $499.

Five hundred dollars? That's insane.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Every single thing Apple does now is so homogenized. Just random buzzwords plugged into an algorithm. Hire some actual directors to make little three minute movies introducing your new poo poo.
You get David Lynch to show me why I need an iPad mini, you can have my $500.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Durzel posted:

Lol all the pundits were wrong about the form factor. It's the same as the older ones, just smaller bezels.

aka still ugly

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
If you mute this, you could easily believe the talking heads are reading off side effects for a new once-a-day pill to manage your genital herpes flareups.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Al-Saqr posted:

I would give all the lint in my belly button to make these people stop doing the 'pitch hands'.

How did Crazy Theranos Lady not kill that for everyone?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Rageaholic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

"It's such a sadness that you think you've seen a film on your loving tablet. Get real."

SOLD.

Also, we won't get a new watch form factor because it will destroy the exiting Apple Watch Band Ecosystem

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Al-Saqr posted:

holy poo poo this jeremy blahnik person has 500 teeth

SHARKMAN

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I definitely want to stare into my iPad while working out, my sweaty red-splotched face dripping as I huff and gasp. Everyone wants to see that.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

punk rebel ecks posted:

Who cares about fitness poo poo? If you want to work out just go outside and jog or join a sport.

It's this. Ohhhh I was gonna work out but I left my iPad at work!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Al-Saqr posted:

Does anyone in these 'hey check out how our products enrich your lives' montages actually exist and behave this way.

If they do, it's an entirely parallel culture that has absolutely zero points of intersection with my reality.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
[ BASS MUSIC THUMPING ]

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
HOLY poo poo YOU GUYS THE LENSES ARE DIAGONAL NOW

BUY BUY BUY

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
She really just said the antenna notches were water bottles as if that were somehow compelling to literally anyone who's not in the water bottle recycling business.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

mik posted:

i hate these things now

I was going to as which things, specifically, but no... it's fine.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I am enjoying th is fake staged lab set fooling noone.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
30% faster graphics for all the iOS games no one plays but are somehow still being developed.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Thank god my tennis coach can now use ML to analyze my swing. This is the feature I have been looking for.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Did they talk about how much more efficient the ML is at scanning through your phone for contraband or other verboten material for notificaiton of the authorities of your country?

no I am not defending CSAM, but the tech has broad and terrible implications

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's the point of DSLR cameras now?

if you 're seriously asking this question, then for you, none.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

DoomTrainPhD posted:

You can't beat good glass.

Or a sensor bigger than a toddler's fingernail.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Xabi posted:

Hey IBIS on the regular 13s is great.

This is actually very true. It's just about magical.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

DoomTrainPhD posted:

You beat me to my edit!

Haha yeah. Even a basic DSLR with a decent lens will absolutely smoke phone cameras all day long. It's amazing how good phone cameras are, but physics are still a thing.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

DoomTrainPhD posted:

They actually have special rigs and lenses they strap to the back of these phones to make those promotional videos.

It would actually be kinda cool if they shot some/all of their big flagship TV shows with trumped up phone rigs. It could probably be done with fair success.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Yeah, but that would require studios to give up their Red cameras, and lol good luck with that.

Here's one rig from one of those "shot on an iPhone" promo-videos:

yeah I don't find any of that particularly egregious except the lens which is probably more costly than the phone.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Al-Saqr posted:

They havent shown the port yet.... can it be?! can it be USB-C?!?!?!?

No, they're gonna push magsafe.

Xabi posted:

They’re still trying to convince us that they care about privacy.

I want to believe. I used to believe.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Love the gigantic heat spreader :v:

yeah, kid was on the couch and accidentally turned on wife's phone camera. It sat there for 30 minutes, she picked it up and was like WHAT IN THE WORLD MY PHONE IS EXPLODING.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

dexter6 posted:

Not supposed to ride a motorcycle with iPhone on the handlebars

Wait, really? Why?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Al-Saqr posted:

Apple literally say it will ruin the camera's stability motors loool

Ohhhh that makes sense. Weird, they could put a setting in where you can just shut it off. But I wonder if the mechanism it floats in just gets beat to death whether it's trying to stabilize or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Dump a M1 in the pro Apple! DO IT COWARDS!

OK yeah. Do this. With a kb/mouse/monitor dock.