Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

gas

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

webmeister posted:

Rock Band got me laid on multiple occasions so it's okay by me :v:

Looking back 10+ years later, it's pretty wild that "hey bb, come back to my place and check out my plastic instruments" actually worked as a pickup line

gently caress yes bro. thanky ou for this info int he thread about the insane sexual harrassment company 🙏

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Harrow posted:

Occasional topical jokes are fine

hm how about no - dr evil.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

close this thread if it s just going to be poeple trying out their hilarious stand up routines about abusive industry practices. in summation

Endorph posted:

speaking bluntly i dont think anywhere on sa is going to be a good place to discuss it. people are within their rights to not really wanna hear about it in a chill chat thread or a chill steam chat thread, and a thread devoted to is just going to descend into victory laps and a weird 'thread culture' which is the last thing a thread like that needs.

i think the best method would be a pretty strictly moderated thread that is purely for posting news updates and providing additional context or discussion of those updates, and anything celebratory (i KNEW they were bad), speculative (I bet this guy i dont like is also bad), or off-topic is harshly punished.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Harrow posted:

"Occasional" is the key word. What we need to avoid are derails, not someone occasionally making a crack at Blizzard doing a dumb thing. If this thread repeatedly devolves into derails that are nothing but jokes or inappropriate personal stories then yes, it should be closed. It's not there yet.

epic thrhead title ftw :D

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cythereal posted:

There's a thread for that. My understanding is that this was specifically created to be a serious news thread counterpart.

yup and it would be great if it could be that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dick Burglar posted:

It's pretty pathetic that Stux came barreling in here to denounce people making GBS threads up the thread by...repeatedly making GBS threads up the thread and posting absolutely nothing of value. What I'm saying is: shut the gently caress up, Stux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNprYJNAzBs

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i dont think its really up to them to have or not have a chat, its not like twitch lets you turn it off.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

But the US anti-hate group says the "overwhelming usage" of the hand gesture today is still to show approval or that someone is OK.

Therefore "particular care must be taken not to jump to conclusions about the intent behind someone who has used the gesture".

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

it used to make people look stupid and paranoid and should be ignored

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Xakura posted:

strong Finnish air force energy

this. the ok hand symbol and the swastika are comparable. practically the sam erthing frankly.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yook posted:

The underlying point is the same idea as the example of people posting black person emojis whenever there's a black player streaming could be racist, but none of you took issue with that. There's also nothing inherently racist about a watermelon emoji either, but it can totally be used in a racist way.

yeah who could possibly work out what the difference is between these examples and the ok symbol. truly an impossible task. guess theyre the same then.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Tiny Myers posted:

I hope it's not considered continuing the derail to point out that pepe emotes are a good example of something that can actually be used as a "bigots are safe here" emote with plausible deniability.

They're more generally a hate symbol in that they've been heavily co-opted by the alt-right and were disowned by the creator for that reason, and can and are easily used to "test the boundaries" of a stream - I'm a mod for a few streams including one that's partnered, and I definitely notice that new chatters who end up being a problem often tend to use certain emotes like pepes or kappas, so I treat them as a red flag. They often seem to be seeing what they can get away with before pushing more outright boundaries. Banning those symbols is another way, along with proactive anti-bigotry messaging, to flag "we don't want your kind here" to those individuals.

I know they're used by some people with good intentions, and a lot of partnered streamers have their own variations on them, but several twitch channels I frequent actually disable those emotes outright or replaced them with something else to discourage use, like a speech bubble saying "Please ban me" (for pepes, because those are not native to Twitch - they're from a third party extension, so you can change what shows up). It's done good work.

That is an example of a good worthwhile emote ban that is not easily replaced by another imo.

agreed 100%. last night i was wa tching jerma and there were TONSOf pepes in the chat, which i felt was pretty sus on its own, but then he himself said "monkas" and i realised i was watching a nazi channel and closed the tab. hope twitch does something about these sickos.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

mutata posted:

Just posting to help this trainwreck get to page 40.

Edit: Ok there, done.

thank god

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its impossible to verify however if enough of us keep saying it it WILL become fact. lets goooooooooo!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Endorph posted:

as ive mentioned before every thread about women getting raped n poo poo turns into goons jacking themselves off to satiate their own egos because goons are freaks with an inability to feel empathy or process reality.

yup

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

can you possibly shut up and stoip making the thread about this stupid loving nonsense for two seconds

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

What they're doing right is a monopoly on real team/player likenesses which are the number 1 driver of sport game sales.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

indie means independant. not sure where any of the confusion is coming from, the intent of its use was perfectly clear given the context.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

however please instead fall over yourselves to keep doing your VERY funny owns in this VERY funny thread.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Andrast posted:

What would having discord's userbase do for, for example, Sony?

i think microsoft would probably have an interest lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you ahve to do something???????? with a resource?????????? crazy lkol. well its lucky no one in the gameing space is interested in data because of this.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

[hanging off of a giant lever in windows 10/11 labelled "telemetry" clearly unable to move it to the off position] interesting. and you believe companies in the gaming industry care about such things? how purile

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

Why are you doing your tired old gimmick again?

It always is what it boils down to, and why Google and Amazon are doing what they're doing. Just having random "data" is not valuable in itself at all.

the random dataset of a high spending consumer segment talking about products using an identifiable account

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I honestly can't get too upset when a company stops people from uploading their soundtracks. There's no fair use there - there's no commentary, criticism, educational purpose, or any sort of derived work. It's just here, have someone else's content, on me.

There's a plethora of issues with the whole system, but I don't find that one of them.

Hell, the FFXIV devs are ok with it as long as you slap it on top of in-game footage and it's not just a datamine or monetized. At least there's something there.

this. if people are allowed to simply listen to the soundtrack from a multibillion dollar company they will stop buying their games. also them abusing the youtube strike system by causing an oversized amount of complaints which makes them functionally impossible to resolve is simply what you must expect for your crimes.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bentai posted:

I think the only reason this is even being brought up is because lol :blizz:
*edit*
Here, have a cute Sea of Thieves dog.

gently caress you!!!!! die!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Magmarashi posted:

Alright, pack it up everybody, No Fun Allowed!

hust trying to get my lol s in teh epic bacon industry dysfunction thread. yall we neeed to heal with laughter... and some hecking cute doggos :D

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Analytic Engine posted:

"derailing" is just responding to 2+ posts ago. It was a sin when we were 14 but's no prob for busy (& goony) adults

youre an insane freak the likes of which should be kicked repeatedly in the shins until you dont come back

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Minera posted:

http://www.bonfirestudios.com/fireside

this poo poo has existed for almost 6 years with no game to show for it lol

who the gently caress is paying for this?

didnt ask

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Magmarashi posted:

Speaking of thread bans, goddamn

dumb little worm go back to your hole and eat the dirt you so desire

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

youre gonna feel my grip

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Moola posted:

It's really cool that "haha kill yourself 😂" posts are just given a slap on the wrist at worst

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

this

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ErrEff posted:

After Unity’s announcement of merging with ironSource in a deal worth over 4 billion dollars, along comes ironSource’s competitor with a potentially 20 billion dollar offer.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/applovin-offers-buy-unity-software-2022-08-09/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-09/applovin-offers-to-buy-unity-software-in-20-billion-deal

thwnk you for this actual news on the industry however we have to talk about manga instead. please understband

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Endorph posted:

Worth noting that this isn't really 'at nintendo of america.'

Of course, NoA turning a blind eye to a company it contracts out to being a shady place to work for is bad, I'm not defending them at all, but it's important distinction. There is mention of one employee who's full time at NoA, though.

no the noa employed guy who harrassed her and got off scot free is very much nintendo of america. they are also absolutely accountable for how contract workers are treated as well as how the contractor they choose behaves.

Bentai posted:

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1559579769909411841
That's a very uuuuuuuuh image choice there Kotaku.
So I guess kotaku.jpg here.

oh yes very epic the picture is the problem !! thanky ou!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The labor abuses are horrifying and it's been very depressing seeing how the general response is that it's "not nintendo" or that it's not a huge deal because nintendo cultists are extremely deranged.

reminds me of when one of the reports on various tech companies and how relatively unethical they are in their manufacturing processes came out a few years ago w nintendo above like, apple and google, somehow, and it was the same reaction lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

elden ring is a aaa game built on the back of a generations worth of work on their previous titles. not really something an indie studio can emulate.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Analytic Engine posted:

I can’t debate this because 30-something nerds know that FromSoft earned it. Do you consider Jim Jarmusch a Hollywood director because he can raise millions of dollars for his movies? As Disney/Marvel is making abundantly clear, there isn’t a road to good art in studio systems now that all paying junior jobs are captured corporations. I wanted to be a game dev but was too poor to pursue it as “Art” and had to settle for Math/Physics/Webdev

If Zach Barth made a Minecraft-killer then He would be indie despite $100m in funding because Notch ripped off Infiniminer to get that candy house. Critic snobbery matters when Bobby Kotik can throw millions around, otherwise our artform will be completely captured by capital

u should look up who published sekiro in the west

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Analytic Engine posted:

The nerds in SA’s AI art thread shitposted a pretty clear method for getting funding on an indie game project without paying anyone for concept art, and I’m very interested in your thoughts on it. Could we pivot to a pitch-based creative process like the US film industry? Except for something kids actually want to consume? Real game devs like you all would do an even better job then this joke post

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4000251&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=110#post526298625

this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SCheeseman posted:

Both the human brain and AI art generators take the inputs they're fed and generate relationship data and compress the works down into abstract forms. They do it in different ways and the human brain has other things going on, making the process distinct perhaps, but it's a difference in degrees rather than something absolute.

youre a psychopath op.