Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

secretly best girl
Mar 27, 2007

I see you choosing that other route. How dare you.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

:toot:

Just in time for the DQ reboot. Hopefully we get actual new music in it now

Terrible news, according to a few statements he had "finished his composition work" for 12 before he passed. Expect to be underwhelmed by two town themes for fifteen locations again, especially if he rushed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secretly best girl
Mar 27, 2007

Dick Burglar posted:

...the what? :confused:

Guitar Hero etc.

secretly best girl
Mar 27, 2007

This one sucks because a studio that was functioning as normal is now risking death spiral territory as new management comes in and poor decisions with engine upgrades are turning an enhanced remake into a boondoggle

https://www.polygon.com/features/22891555/lego-star-wars-the-skywalker-saga-has-led-to-extensive-crunch-at-tt-games

secretly best girl
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, I'm not saying the crunch is good, I'm saying "God it sucks that a problematic-but-functional industry average studio is risking collapse on what seemed like an easy bet because of the decisions made above the common employee". It sucks that this might cause way more chaos for these people AND the situation is now so insane that they can't really even push back without the hammer of Disney or legal agreements risking loving everyone.

secretly best girl
Mar 27, 2007

I feel like this is a new low for Square-Enix's non-mobile division.

https://twitter.com/TangoBun/status/1501898430284656643
https://twitter.com/TangoBun/status/1502063477812248576

According to people elsewhere, mithril expires in 5 months, just to add insult to injury. What a wild choice of game to drop this bomb on.

secretly best girl fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 11, 2022

secretly best girl
Mar 27, 2007

Naka stories that might bear revisiting in the wake of this debacle: Prope

quote:

Prope Ltd. is a Japanese video game development studio founded by Yuji Naka, which now consists solely of himself.

Why does it now consist solely of himself? Well, there was this infamous debacle, Rodea the Sky Soldier, a game Prope was developing for the Wii that didn't release until a WiiU version by an entirely different team hit shelves, wherein the Wii version was added to first printings as a bonus disc. Somewhere during this tale of "I dunno, weird", every employee not named Yuji Naka found themselves without a job "since April 2017", and I believe that's the most we ever got on the record about this.

secretly best girl
Mar 27, 2007

anime was right posted:

introducing the mckinsey scale

holy poo poo

secretly best girl
Mar 27, 2007

Minera posted:

actually speaking of which, have any of the big name blizzard devs actually launched any successful projects since leaving blizzard?

I feel like the biggest success, even if it later burned down, was probably Runic Games (the Torchlight people)? The party didn't last forever but that game had a solid launch and apparently the collapse of Runic led to Double Damage Games, who did Rebel Galaxy.

This feels like the longest chain of b-tier success I can think of from the offshoots.

secretly best girl
Mar 27, 2007

Minera posted:

http://www.bonfirestudios.com/fireside

this poo poo has existed for almost 6 years with no game to show for it lol

who the gently caress is paying for this?

Jesus, their twitter has been dark for over a year now and this was the last thing of note on it

https://twitter.com/bonfirestudios/status/1392956036214972418

How depressing that this seems to be their biggest impact on the industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secretly best girl
Mar 27, 2007

I would laugh if this wasn't so bleak, EA Tells Devs It Won't Take Stand On Abortion Rights, Encourages 'Healing Circles'

The bit you're definitely curious about :

quote:

In lieu of public statements, Singh instead encouraged developers to make use of one EA benefit: “healing circles.”

“I know these have been tough issues, whether it’s the shootings that happened recently in the U.S., the Roe v Wade issues, these are hard,” Singh said. “And so, one of the other things you’re going to see is we’re going to be making some more healing circles available through modern health.”

It’s not clear what exactly the healing circles are, or how they work, but Singh called on staff to “join and process” the events going on with each other and praised the strength of the community within EA.