Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Chillgamesh posted:

I mean let's be real, it's just Sony and MS taking the opportunity to try and milk better deals out of Activision for CoD crap while they have bad press hammering them.

It's probably also partly for show to their own employees who may be considering going somewhere else. Games aren't immune to the whole 'Great Resignation' thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chglcu
May 17, 2007

My linkedin feed has shown about an equal number of people leaving and starting at Blizzard recently. No idea why anyone would actually be joining now, really.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Outsourcing lots of the QA team is pretty common in games in my experience. Not saying it’s a good thing, just not really anything out of the ordinary.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Haven’t watched the video yet and didn’t go there myself, but the coworkers I’ve had who went to digipen have all been pretty good at what they do. Not saying it as a justification for anything lovely they may do, but they do seem to be reasonably good at creating decent game devs.

e: Alright, watched the video, and a lot of that is pretty bad, but it's largely - though not completely - bad in a way that mirrors the current state of the large parts of the game industry itself. Part of me says that it's at least good for students to know what they're getting themselves in to in the real world, but it's also stuff that really needs to change in the industry. Kind of a chicken and egg problem here and both sides need fixing.

chglcu fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 13, 2021

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I almost certainly wouldn't have made it into the industry if I'd had to go through DigiPen. I'm largely self taught and couldn't even make it through a normal two year state tech school and dropped out like four times over six years before some lucky accidental networking paid off with an interview. An actively hostile process would've definitely had me reconsidering things. Not 100% sure if that would've been a good or bad thing, really. I might've ended up doing boring but better paying non-games programming, but on the other hand I might've gotten stuck in a factory like my last couple jobs before games.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Cattail Prophet posted:

Is there some limited resource involved in running raids that makes charging other players for the privilege of helping them through a hard fight a non-lovely thing to do or are high level WoW players just assholes?

Time, if nothing else.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

A few days ago but I can't believe madden still sells that well, hasn't that game just been roster updates for over a decade :lol:

Roster updates, more inconvenient menu navigation and worse music every year, yeah. They apparently removed the orchestral music this time so now I get to play it with absolutely no in game music. Yay.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

MH Knights posted:

Why bother putting in effort when you have a total monopoly on the license/sport? :capitalism: Gridiron football has little appeal outside of the USA so the biggest alternative is the Canadian Football League which currently has nine teams. Then you are down to the joke leagues: The XFL and other wannabes who can only get one or two games into a season before shutting down.

There is college football but that still has issues to work out before games can be made again.

Surprisingly enough, the yearly Madden release actually is a ton of effort in my experience. Admittedly, that was years ago, but I doubt things have changed all that much. It’s amazing how little all the crunch shows up as improvements in the end product.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

So how is Apple Music compared to Spotify?

It has the same problem with random poo poo disappearing that Spotify sometimes has, but I’ve had nothing that I couldn’t find on Apple Music but was available on Spotify. Haven’t tried it on Android, but as that other poster mentioned, it works great on the iPhone. Having to use iTunes to stream on the PC does kind of suck, though I guess it does the job.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

In case anyone ITT was hit by the MS layoffs, we have a decent number of openings right now. Onsite/hybrid/remote in Bellevue, WA or fully remote from select states: https://www.arena.net/en/careers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Ofecks posted:

"select states"? Do you have an embargo on some of them?

I think it’s tax-type stuff preventing us from allowing it everywhere, but I’m really not sure. The list has been pretty rapidly expanding, though.

e: possibly benefits availability and such as well, I suppose.

chglcu fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 20, 2023