Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Man they gonna need like... WoW2, WC4, and SC3 to make people forget everything at this rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Double Bill posted:

For some reason I remembered them already announcing/releasing a mobile StarCraft, but nah... that was EA and Command & Conquer: Rivals. Still, that's the future of RTS.

imagine getting ling or photon cannon rushed on your phone

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

February
Activision Blizzard lays off 800+ employees despite record earnings in 2018. Esports and internal IT are gutted. Its a bloodbath here.

So much has happened that I forgot this happened. That... mighta caused some issues.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Detective No. 27 posted:

Even if it does happen, it wouldn't matter much, they're already getting paid obscene salaries.

Anyone I know with a high salary has a toddler level meltdown if their bonus might even be lowered

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Hots Hanzo and Genji are more fun than Overwatch Hanzo and Genji

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Man, I did not see Hogger being the last hero ever coming. I don't even know what a Hogger is.

Blaise330 fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 26, 2021

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Moola posted:

meanwhile the Chrono Trigger XIV mmo is wildly successful

The reality where theres 16 chrono games and multiple spinoffs but only two final fantasies sounds interesting.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

man remember when like 200 episodes of inuyasha was about trying to break the bad guy's various barriers? That's what fighting double shield comps feels like.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Has there been any game designed from the ground up to be the next big E-SPORTS game that stuck the landing without breaking their legs on entry?

Seems like every game people like to watch others play competitively focused on trying to be a good game first and foremost.

street fighter 5 launched with no arcade or story mode but slowly became a success overall through patches, having a very forgiving fanbase, constant dev support, and being a 90s franchise thats too big to fully fail. Also dota 2 launched with a million dollar esports tourney. Being a sequel helps cause people had years to fall in love with the franchise casually in the previous game. OW being as big as it was without being a sequel was a huge blown opportunity.

Blaise330 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 27, 2021

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

The REAL Goobusters posted:

citation needed, game still sucks

A game doesn't need you to like it to be successful. League taught me that.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Prism posted:

If SFV hadn't been Literally Street Fighter it would have been dead and forgotten within a month. It was real bad. (I haven't kept up with it, so I can't speak for how it is now.)

It got much better, each version update added new gameplay mechanics. The old director left capcom and now people who know how to make a fighting game are in charge. The roster balance is good, a top 32 bracket will have like 20-25 characters. It's still the #1 fgc esport game (high praise, I know).

Blaise330 fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 28, 2021

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

FAUXTON posted:

the shrinking fanbase also means the places willing to make and sell licensed merch are less and less competent so you've got people receiving stuff that looks straight up counterfeit

Hey I like the Weaper action figure and backpack with blue orcs on it my mom got me

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Okay is the presidemt of blizzard ACTUALLY Arcturus Mengsk?

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

I was comparing it to Mengsk using the zerg to destroy his enemies. But yeah blizz did the dumber version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

The 7th Guest posted:

probably underestimating children's intelligence too, ie "children won't be able to remember so many characters! they're so stupid after all"

there's 900 pokemon...