Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
do you think Nintendo would sell every game in their catalogue they legally can, if they could charge inflation-adjusted $120 again?

or would the current employees of Nintendo refuse, since those masterpieces were made without their involvement and make their current output look mediocre and greedy?

they won't even invest in emulator optimization for flagship titles anymore, it's automated and cheaply poo poo out like the GTA "remasters" (another company where the talent had moved on)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rNFf1YFvnRE

Pokemon probably suffers even more since the originals were hand crafted by turbonerds fed up with mediocrity in the Japanese games industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

DOTA was a weird Use Map Settings game in Starcraft, and it was so overcomplicated and boring that UMS "Naruto character" battle arenas were a better gamble

I love progress in the games artform, but Blizzard management should never get a single sliver of credit for the creation of MOBAs. But the nerds who had to force management to allow UMS games online? They deserve all $69,420,000 bonuses paid to the MBA shitlords

Also, Starcraft was only good because that rival studio faked their isometric prerendered game demo. The nerds at Blizzard were so threatened they rewrote the whole flat-visuals engine from scratch

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-making-of-starcraft/

quote:

One game in particular, Patrick recalls, was enough to earn the developer some humility: Dominion Storm. “It was just down the hall from us and it had a full isometric perspective, it had a creature that looked like a Star Wars AT-AT walking around, and it just looked impressive in terms of the technology and the artwork, and made us feel embarrassed that we were even on the floor."
Ironically, Dominion Storm—the game that had been such a decisive reason Blizzard was knocked off its feet and felt pressured into overhauling everything—would go on to release roughly a month after StarCraft. A game so seemingly robust and ready to go at E3 1996 would still take longer to develop and release. The issue, it turns out, was with problems at Ion Storm, but there was a bigger surprise for Patrick and the team at Blizzard. “As Ion Storm started to disintegrate due to financial and political problems,” explains Patrick, “members of its development teams left to pursue other opportunities. From this crew, Blizzard managed to hire Mark Skelton and Patrick Thomas for the company's then-burgeoning cinematics team, where they worked to produce some of Blizzard's epic cutscenes. At some point I talked with Mark and Patrick about how Dominion Storm knocked us on our heels, and they let us in on Ion Storm's secret: the demo was a prerendered movie, and the people who showed the ‘demo' were just pretending to play! It would be an understatement to say that we were gobsmacked; we had been duped into rebooting StarCraft.”

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

But not as strong.

lol gently caress off, people like different genres

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

(If this is boring or played out, ignore it)

I posted about Nintendo's moral hazard around supporting their backlog, and their failures to good-faith emulate games like Zelda. Is there a better thread to post that? I assume emulator chat is prob'd as :files: normally but this is literally legal emulation being half-assed by the rights holder, who inarguably did it better for their DS & 3DS ports

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Samovar posted:

Fingers crossed and thumbs held.

Games (and all software, but especially Games) need to be forcefully unionized against the wishes of all idiot manchildren. I would drop $10k in an instant to make that happen

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Andrast posted:

Games supports the cool crime of stealing

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

"derailing" is just responding to 2+ posts ago. It was a sin when we were 14 but's no prob for busy (& goony) adults

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

If From Software had monetized Armored Core or Souls games I would have been an in-debt whale. That poo poo is predatory for all levels of nerd, and probably rakes in the most on "smart" people like Doctors and Lawyers

I tried making Use Map Settings Starcraft maps like my homeschooled friend, but the API was so bad I shunted to making RPG Maker 2000 "demos"

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Didn't mean to prevent a re-rail

I jumped in on the last pages and read the mood from there, down with staying on-course after reconnoitering

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

they better make a 2nd season of Eizouken. loving covid disruption

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

how is it load-bearing? I'm a programmer and I can't imagine not being able to fix a variable name

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Zach went on to make his awesome turbonerd games and teach highschool CS, but he's public that losing billions of $ to Notch depressed the hell out of him. We chatted for a minute after his talk at the NYU Game Center (an actual MFA & PhD for games), and he's definitely more of game engineer/laborer than indie Artists like Jon Blow. 8 years = tons of games, vs 1 The Witness. Miegakure (funded by Blow's charity for Art games) was old *then*, and is still being polished or something today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__Nq2vNcpIo

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

postmodifier posted:

Jonathan Blow was one of the inaugural class of speakers at NYU Game Center, like two weeks after Richard Garfield

He spent the entire loving time making a ridiculous argument about world of warcraft, equating it to an industrial factory pumping toxic waste into the river of gaming

Garfield was cool as hell, though

Garfield?! gently caress yeah, wish I'd heard about that when I lived in NYC

Blow has an extremely abrasive personality, some terrible opinions, and many excellent thoughts. His recorded slideshow talks on programming and creativity as a left-brained thinker are very insightful. He is clearly a lovely ambassador for games as Art, because he loves to insult & argue has none of the social intelligence & grace necessary to persuade outsiders (even if he wanted to). He inspired a generation of indie creators without permeating broader culture, Velvet Underground style, except he made a ton of money immediately and was never cool in an artist sense (despite his literary pretensions in Braid lol)

I also believe he secretly modeled for a Neuromancer cover

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

The real geniuses of Braid were the artist David Hellman (of the legendary webcomic A Lesson is Learned but the Damage is Irreversible) and the composers of that bangin' royalty free music

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

lmao, eat poo poo NFT grifters

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Exit the Gungeon got massive fan backlash for debuting only on Apple Arcade

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

people making/promoting/archiving Art shouldn't apologize for being hoodwinked by NFT bullshit, it was a concerted effort by Tech grifters to prey on a "Non-Technical Legacy Industry"

nobody Tech-adjacent with a conscience wants to enrage Art people, they're the primary source of precious precious social capital

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

is there any industry news about more dogs being implemented in games? the fox in ghost of tsushima is pretty cool and i like petting its belly

https://twitter.com/canyoupetthedog

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

non-gaming Tech does this for cafeteria workers, janitors, bus drivers, quality assurance, outsourced low-level programmers, on and on. it's an explicit class system so that socially comfortable mostly-white and asian people (men and women equally) never have to worry about "the wrong kind of folks" competing for the good jobs and social respect at the companies. that includes poor and neurodivergent white guys but consult The Rest of the Internet for those issues. I've seen and lived it tangentially as a white dude, so this is a perspective that could be corrected by actually-discriminated people and I don't speak for them

when I dropped out of Cornell and eventually ran out of money studying for an NYC developer position, I had to get a temp job in Ithaca and they staffed me in the Cornell library with my black shirt + khaki pants uniform selling books to rich kids ala Frank Grimes from The Simpsons. yep, definitely took pride in both of those "Cornell jobs" equally...

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 17, 2022

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

happyhippy posted:

But as we know that would just be bypassed by calling things other names. 'Omg Blizzard bans the name Brandon now'.

"Try finger, but whole."

On that note the Dark Souls II PC port leaked FromSoft's attempt at censoring US gamers in the "Mad Lib" style messaging system; absolutely worth reading the 2010s list. Consider how much K***hts appear in medieval European fantasy

https://mod.gib.me/darksouls2/ngword/english.txt

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

I want to apologize everyone for a grievous nerd error: the “Mad Libs” messages in soulslikes aren’t censored because they’re basically hieroglyphics (which cause their own automatic-localization problems). It’s the character naming system that censors with that hilarious list, including NPC k***hts

This happened in the super-friendly golf party game by the Worms team, where our friend ScarletAssassin was something like Sc*****rear end***in or some inexplicable combination

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

What’s holding back indie studios from displacing yearly content-shart companies? Even if you hate soulslikes it’s a fact that Elden Ring outsold every recent AAA non-cinematic RPG including Breath of the Wild, and that’s from the Armored Core indie-nerd-studio FromSoft in Japan. Why isn’t there a Stardew Valley or Slay the Spire or Binding of Isaac in every single genre on the PS5 store?

If I hosed off on my career to make games (like I’ve been doing and dreaming of my whole life) then I would never even consider working for Activision. Which is not a bold statement, because the first indie game devs in history hosed off from Activision. Maybe young nerds are still under the AAA system sway and think they can’t succeed without institutional support. That’s exploited young artist thinking, and if you’re a capitalist then you’re a fool for not making $200k out of college at FAANG & smoothly ratcheting to a guaranteed stress-free $500k at Google in your 30s. I don’t make that because of personality issues & “wanting to code important things”, but a hardworking eyes-down CS dork is an idiot to sign up for institutionally-codified abuse at these shithole companies

(Spoken as a never-was game dev who mostly enjoys indie 1-or-2-man games)

Edit: Sorry forgot context. I work on “boring” business programming which is a massively better job then Junior game devs, but they seem to be stuck in deadened positions like me without even making a mark on the game or getting that 💰

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 15, 2022

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

disposablewords posted:

There's a weird insistence that AAA games suck except From titles because they're too good to be considered part of the category the person hates.

This person was playing janky rear end “Japanimation F-word poo poo” Armored Core 1 as a kid, please argue about class and societal issues instead of trying to out-nerd my poor kid traumatized ADHD sperg rear end

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 15, 2022

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

disposablewords posted:

Yeah I can't even tell if you're freaking out at me for what I said or what. Still stands that you severely undermined your own point with your lead example, and just bringing up an early game of theirs doesn't help because most indie darling studios don't hang around to have that long a pedigree.

I can’t debate this because 30-something nerds know that FromSoft earned it. Do you consider Jim Jarmusch a Hollywood director because he can raise millions of dollars for his movies? As Disney/Marvel is making abundantly clear, there isn’t a road to good art in studio systems now that all paying junior jobs are captured corporations. I wanted to be a game dev but was too poor to pursue it as “Art” and had to settle for Math/Physics/Webdev

If Zach Barth made a Minecraft-killer then He would be indie despite $100m in funding because Notch ripped off Infiniminer to get that candy house. Critic snobbery matters when Bobby Kotik can throw millions around, otherwise our artform will be completely captured by capital

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

I’m being a jerk though, so logging off. I
will read everything everyone posts and respect being ignored if this is boring 🤙

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

The nerds in SA’s AI art thread shitposted a pretty clear method for getting funding on an indie game project without paying anyone for concept art, and I’m very interested in your thoughts on it. Could we pivot to a pitch-based creative process like the US film industry? Except for something kids actually want to consume? Real game devs like you all would do an even better job then this joke post

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4000251&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=110#post526298625

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

this is a thread for discussing industry news not a thread for industry insiders op

Duly noted, I misread the mood of this thread a couple times since it felt more insidery and knowledgeable. Logging off here.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Kanos posted:

Blizzard is suspending game services in China due to contract negotiation issues with Netease(Diablo Immortal is unaffected because it has its own contract):

https://investor.activision.com/news-releases/news-release-details/blizzard-entertainment-and-netease-suspending-game-services

This seems like a pretty huge deal, given that a big part of Blizzard's original push towards trying to develop mobile games was to appeal to the Chinese market.

It must absolutely blow to be a non-hacker gamer nerd kid in China right now. Government mandated hours restrictions, international company issues like this, and god knows what's to come in the new Ultraconservative future. The CCP are fools for pissing off an entire generation of already-frustrated young men who might have been satiated with the equivalent of our youthful 56k Starcraft games. Boring adults will never understand the existential need for collaborative escapism in uncool kids

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

AngryRobotsInc posted:

If you owned any NES game that was in any cartridge that wasn't the usual grey, it was almost certainly unlicensed. All licensed NES games in the US are the standard grey, aside from the gold Zelda carts (Famicom stuff came in a bevy of colors). Aside from Konami and another company I forget the name of, who had the licensing rights to manufacture their own NES carts (still in the standard grey), all officially licensed games had theirs manufactured by Nintendo.

Color Dreams had sky blue ones, and they got around the lock essentially by brute force. Better known are Tengen's black carts, and they basically got sued into the ground for copyright and patent infringement, because they lied to get a copy of Nintendo's lock out chip patent. Unlicensed games have basically been around from the jump, but Tengen kind of opened the flood gates for NES.

loved renting this guy