Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
That is completely not how tokens work. Once you buy a token with gold, you either redeem it for game time or $15 of Blizzard Balance. You cannot hold onto it and use it to pay for a mythic carry.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

MechaCrash posted:

Remember the "do you not have phones" thing? I'm not surprised the people at the top of this conglomerate of crap are that loving stupid.

The short version for anybody who somehow missed "do you not have phones" is that the big final reveal at Blizzcon a few years back was Diablo Immortal, exclusively for phones, and they were shocked that people who were sufficiently hardcore fans of PC gaming to attend a convention about it would be unhappy about a phone-exclusive title.

The funniest part of this is that even his dev team were like "If you go out there and announce this at Blizzcon you're going to get eaten alive."

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ColdPie posted:

Do you have a source for this? Sounds hilarious and I wanna read more.

Unfortunately I do not, just a vague recollection of an employee response from around that time.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Clarste posted:

I don't think you can blame the problems of Diablo 3 1.0 entirely on the AH. If anything the problem was balancing the entire game around the supposedly untested AH, which is something they absolutely had the choice not to. If you know something is untested it's generally not a great idea to bet everything on it turning out perfect the first time?

In fact, they very specifically did not balance the game around the AH, which was kind of the problem. The AH was added primarily to give people a way to trade items without needing to go through some shady third party website, so it came from a well-intentioned place, but they failed to consider the overall effect it would have on the game. Drop rates were already too low, and the AH exacerbated that by letting you skip the gear grind with money, meaning you had even fewer occasions where you would actually get an upgrade to drop, making playing the actual game feel like crap.

Ultimately, axing the AH and increasing drop rates was fixing two separate problems that fed into each other.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Kanos posted:

There is a pretty commonly held theory that the specific reason the drop rates were so catastrophically low was to encourage people to use the RMAH - from which Blizzard received a cut from transactions - which would definitely qualify as balancing the game around the AH.

Well that theory is wrong, drop rates being too low was entirely independent from the AH.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

Do you all not find posting about posting, or reliving your forum grudges over and over, exhausting? You can have problems with a poster without starting a life long vendetta.

*Looks at the entirety of Something Awful*

Clearly they do not. I think it actually gives them life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Brian himself has spoken out.

https://twitter.com/BrianBirming/status/1617688536983175168?t=Zo3rdE0exWD7d439W0ZECg&s=19

Long tweet thread, here's the whole thing.

Brian Birmingham posted:

"I wasn't intending to make this public, but apparently its in the news already, so I'd at least like to set the record straight. I am no longer an employee of Blizzard Entertainment, though I would return if allowed to, so that I could fight the stack-ranking policy from inside. I'm told the forced stack-ranking policy is a directive that came from the ABK level, ABOVE Mike Ybarra. I don't know for sure, but I suspect it's true. Everybody at Blizzard I've spoken to about this, including my direct supervisors, expressed disappointment about this policy.

For those who don't know, "ABK" is the parent company formed when Activision Publishing expressed their interest in buying World of Warcraft from Vivendi in 2008. Blizzard's market value was enough that Activision Publishing could NOT buy it outright... Instead they arranged to form a new company called, "Activision Blizzard" which would own Activision Publishing and Vivendi's games division, including Blizzard Entertainment. Vivendi had >50% of the shares of "Activision Blizzard" at that time.

In creating "Activision Blizzard" they needed an executive, and Bobby Kotick, from Activision Publishing was selected as the new CEO of Activision Blizzard. Mike Morhaime, still President of Blizzard at that time, reported up to Bobby Kotick's staff at "Activision Blizzard"

Bobby and an investor group staged a "hostile takeover" meaning that they bought up more than 50% of Activision Blizzard shares. (There's no actual violence in a "hostile takeover" despite the name). I forget which year this happened, but it resulted in greater control.

Activision Blizzard then acquired "King" becoming "Activision Blizzard King," or "ABK." ABK was then a parent company of 3 different companies that they owned:
- Activision Publishing
- Blizzard Entertainment
- King

IIRC, the first year we were asked to meet a specific quota of "Developing" ratings was in the 2020 evaluations, across the winter of 2020/2021. IIRC this was also the first year they tried to unify the review/appraisal systems across all three child business units. Activision, Blizzard, and King all had *similar* appraisal processes by this point, and ABK wanted to unify them into one. Presumably this was the motivation for *enforcing* a 5% "developing" rating: to make it match in all 3 studios. I'm not defending this, only explaining.

We at Blizzard pushed back pretty hard in 2021, and I truly believed we had reversed the developing-quota policy. When the sexual harassment lawsuit was revealed later that year, we saw some change following that as well, and it felt like we could make an impact on ABK policies. The realization that there's still a minimum quota for "Developing," despite our objections and sternly worded letters leads me to believe I was operating under an illusion. I hope Blizzard's positive culture can overcome ABK's poison, but it isn't succeeding in doing that yet.

So having explained all that, I bear no ill will toward my former colleagues at Blizzard Entertainment. The Blizzard I knew and always wanted to work for is being torn apart by the executives at ABK, and it makes me sad. I truly respect the developers I worked with at Blizzard. I will still play Blizzard games; the developers at Blizzard are still amazing. Dragonflight and Wrath of the Lich King Classic are gems. Dragon Riding is amazing in Dragonflight, as is the Ulduar raid, and the new Titan Rune Dungeons in Wrath of the Lich King.

But ABK is a problematic parent company. They put us under pressure to deliver both expansions early. It is deeply unjust to follow that by depriving employees who worked on them their fair share of profit. The ABK team should be ashamed of themselves. I must stress that the above is *my best recollection* of events. It covers a lot of years, and human memory is notoriously imperfect. I do believe that the broad strokes are accurate:
- The "developing" quota is toxic
- It is an ABK policy
- It is being forced on Blizzard

I can't tell you whether to boycott Blizzard games or not. How best to express your displeasure is up to you. As I said above: I won't boycott. But I can't participate in a policy that lets ABK steal money from deserving employees, and I can't be made to lie about it either. And to wrap up I want to again clarify that I was surprised to see the Bloomberg article below. I did NOT provide them the email they're quoting from, but I believe the quotes are accurate. They have neither spoken to me nor reached out to me in any way."