Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

It takes less than you would expect for an overall corporate culture to change, unfortunately the change is usually negative-- either as people who are harassed leave and harassers see a safe haven of a company to be at, or as the finance vultures swoop in and gut the company overall.

There will always be "Blizzard" as IP but I honestly don't know how much longer they'll exist as a proper studio, especially given the "lovely releases, lovely PR, poor internal morale for many reasons" death spiral they appear to be in from the outside. They won't die for lack of players per se, but with how many game support plugs they yanked out before the lawsuit dropped despite fairly active playerbases for ostensibly "underperforming", I wouldn't be surprised if some Activision C-levels are eyeing the "cannibalize and eject" button. Doubly so given that Bliz seemed to go all-in on trying to monetize esports but the rest of ABK is making megabucks off the mobile market that Blizzard's still not even got a single entry for.

(The fact that they massively flubbed the PR for their singular attempt at entering into it and have had it sitting in the wings unreleased for 3 years running probably isn't making the important shareholders happy, either, especially with the largest planned market for that game cracking down on allowed game duration for kids, and all Bliz's games are online-only so....oops.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

The biggest problem (as far as the suits cared about it) wasn't ironed out, specifically "they couldn't figure out how to micromonetize it after the RMAH was removed", which is why they pivoted into mobile for the sequel

unfortunately the "pivot" involved stepping on rusty nail and also slamming their face into a wall, and the handling of Diablo Immortal/Diablo 4 compared to Fallout Shelter/Fallout 4 has probably been the subject of marketing presentations as "what to do"/"what not to do" ever since

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

webmeister posted:

A Sylvanus Windrunner skin for your Amazon, only $12.99

For a brief second absent of context, my mind jumped to the delivery service instead of the game and the idea of "paying extra to have your doordash driver show up in cosplay" seemed like an inevitable eventual step in gig economy hellworld

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

There's an Ars writeup too but it's like 10% "now the SEC is involved" and 90% "what's happened so far" by volume, so I don't suspect there's much meat to the WSJ article itself that isn't already addressed in the OP-- just the SEC announcing they're investigating it and ABK confirming that they're "cooperating with the investigation".

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

I wonder if her desk has several forehead-shaped indentations after several dozen "you did what" meetings over the last couple months

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

dreffen posted:

If it's anywhere like the places I've worked it's "I've directed you all to destroy evidence, now I'm getting out."

Honestly I would have expected the other way around, "I gave you advice and you thought destroying evidence would be a better look so lol good luck see you when they call me up and ask me about it"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

THE BAR posted:

Oh wow, how long has that been a thing? That's hilariously predatory.

In the context of the game it was an improvement; instead of full RNG for loot you are/were guaranteed something based on the highest content you cleared that week.

"Hilariously predatory" is when they do 6 month sub drives that you pay for all up front for an in game mount, usually done "right around when new content is planned to drop in a week or two" to maximize suckers who'd normally stick with month-to-month.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

I thought it was J Allen Brack's wife who did that??

ah poo poo, am I conflating Blizzard Lore?

Both Morhaime and JAB's wives were "directors of esports", it's just that Amy actually did it as a career and JAB apparently assumed it was a fluffy do-nothing nepotism position

The HotS surprise shutdown was a month or two after Mike and Amy left

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

ErrEff posted:

Titan wasn't fun to play, according to Morhaime. Who knows if the team felt differently - in the end the game wasn't allowed to proceed because executives pulled the plug on it after years of being stuck.

The year before it was cancelled the project got rebooted with the reason being that they were "making large design and technology changes to the game". So maybe it was also not performing well and the development tools were causing problems, which is why they downsized the game from 100+ people when it was in full production.

One of the last builds before the project was cancelled still involved a purely client-authoritative network model. The game was hosed for a lot of reasons and most of that seemed to stem back to someone defining the term "idea incubator" as "throw a bunch of poo poo into a dark room for 6 months and check back to see if any tasty mushrooms had miraculously appeared".

It's one of those hearsay stories that sounds too dumb to be true until you line it up with the number of already-documented restarts and do overs nearly every other blizzard title's run into over the years, turns out cube-crawling harassers don't necessarily make for the best managers, people or product, just because they're your drinking buddies

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

The Gadfly posted:

It's these developers that people should respect for solely their game-making ability, not the overall behemoth of a company.

The mild irony being the era of the "big name rockstar developer" was the other end of the spectrum, misattributing one person as "the sole responsible person for this game being good" and resulting in a glut of overpromising and underperforming kickstarters based entirely on the fact that "one person involved was in the credits of that game you liked from years ago", even more amusing given that a bunch of places are using ex-Blizzard credentials to whip up some easy starter fanbase

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

orange juche posted:

At least they're doing something. Blizzard probably wouldn't have acknowledged moderation decisions or reversal of same, especially as quickly as was done for this.

I mean you're not wrong
https://www.vice.com/en/article/xg8vmz/world-of-warcraft-player-penalized-for-asking-players-to-say-trans-rights

World of Warcraft' Player Penalized for Asking Players to Say 'Trans Rights posted:

After the most recent silencing, Reimann was told that customer service would no longer lift them. Specifically, they were told that "as group finder was not designed as a medium to discuss politics, we encourage you to try to avoid discussing politics in this communication channel."

"My statement is just 'trans people deserve human rights.' I don't think human rights are a political issue," Reimann said. "The thing is, if I backed down now, I think that would be very political, because I would have been bullied into silence."

I don't know if anything ever came of this or if it got swamped in other bad PR in the meantime

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

what's he gonna do when he can't disavow someone else for making a tone deaf video now though

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Can't have people walking out if they're not at work, see

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

who are you going to trust, us or the lying officers of the court involved in the stewardess case and that one spokesperson that said "kotick regrets the voicemail he left where he threatened to kill his secretary"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Even my years of cynicism towards blizzard has not prepared me to process that. What the absolute gently caress

between this story and someone on a discord I'm on responding to that article with "yeah that's common enough in bad workplaces that it's a common recommendation to buy a dedicated breast milk cooler and keep it locked in your car", I just

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Cyks posted:

That seems extremely excessive? I’ve worked for industries with WAY higher security requirements and nothing even remotely close to that is ever done.

industries with high security requirements probably treat their employees better OP, if you treat your employees like poo poo that you can get for a dime a dozen the walkout process is based around how you'd expect them to react if you were in that position

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Regalingualius posted:

I’m legitimately curious: how has CoD kept chugging along for all these years, when basically everyone knows that they’re formulaically churned out on a fairly constant schedule? Is it just a rolling audience of teens/young adults where by the time the “current” generation gets tired of them, they already have the next one lined up?

gestures at Madden

But really the answer is that any game with a large enough multiplayer component will basically self-sustain unless the wheels really come off; if you establish the model of "we release a new game and if you don't buy it then you won't have anyone to play with online on the old game" early enough then it's normalized for the franchise barring something really bad blowing your game up later on

Case in point for ABK, anyone trying to do a dual "paid full game price expansion packs on top of a monthly sub" nowadays is going to have a tremendously uphill battle whereas WoW it's nearly taken for granted unless someone who's already fed up and leaving is looking for something to add to a list of complaints about the game

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Pirate Jet posted:

There’s nothing “promising” about giving the sexual harasser CEO a massive payout and golden parachute from the company instead of letting him face the ramifications of a unionized workforce.

In addition to all of the above posted, the literal "best case scenario" outcome of every employee unionizing strictly in terms of "punishment for Bobby Kotick" would be...he leaves and takes his existing golden parachute. Maybe even puts "led Actiblizz through a wildly popular unionization process" on his resume and goes on a speaking circuit.

e: It really needs to be emphasized how much "there are no consequences for rich people unless they directly gently caress with other rich people" is a statement of fact, not a trite "ha ha capitalism" joke

Shooting Blanks posted:

But when your reputation goes from "Highly effective CEO" to "Was at the helm during widespread harassment, discrimination, and misconduct." it makes it a lot harder for any charitable foundation or company to invite you to that kind of position unless they want to invite some very pointed questions.

Just makes you more likely to be the "unpopular CEO that's hired explicitly to take the brunt of the bad PR when the board wants to do something they know ahead of time will go over like a lead balloon", probably

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 21, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Eej posted:

Discord will absolutely be replaced by something better and the tragedy is that unlike forums or even reddit all that accumulated knowledge will be gone because who the gently caress is going to remember which channel on which server has pins about a specific thing

If discord went down I suspect most if not all speedrunning communities would experience a tower of babel style event in terms of knowledge loss, having nothing but old record vods and "maybe the old WR runner still has their strats open in notepad++" to fall back on

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That IS a funny one since it seems like Discord's devs might have learned how precarious their position is and how much goodwill is paramount.

https://twitter.com/fluffs_ro_dah/status/1488467320943087619?s=21

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

like having a house full of maga paraphernalia with a rug to shamefully cover the entrance to your secret basement that's full of the exact same maga paraphernalia

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

https://twitter.com/the_boyks/status/1516481592251674632
https://twitter.com/the_boyks/status/1516483232266551300?s=20&t=Xvfx24r8X3NJosYAEKwHPA
https://twitter.com/the_boyks/status/1516497800900403204?s=20&t=Xvfx24r8X3NJosYAEKwHPA

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

moonmazed posted:

you could simply not watch videos on a poisonous platform and do something better with your time

imagine thinking having this on 24/7 repeat isn't a fantastic use of my time

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Asteroid Alert posted:

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/05/embracer-group-to-acquire-crystal-dynamics-eidos-montreal-and-square-enix-montreal-from-square-enix

Embracer Group bought Square Enix's western development studios & IP.

Press release says that the funds gained will help them with blockchain, AI, and cloud investments. :psyduck:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Yeah I misread that as "Squeenix selling the IPs to a crypto/NFT company" since I guess THQ Nordic changed their name again while I wasn't looking

https://twitter.com/EmbracerInvest/status/1460906337701974017

so really just a continuation of squeenix shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to anything not named final fantasy 14

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Took long enough but licensed games really have died hard. The rising costs of the HD era did it I think, but also apparently realising you can't just poo poo out a tie-in in time for the movie's release and expect it to sell based on grandma buying it for little Timmy anymore.

Probably also doesn't help that the more HD you go, suddenly it becomes Very Noticable when you're not willing to spring for likeness and voice acting fees of the people who's movie you're trying to cash in on, but you can still get away with "artistic renditions" without those fees in mobile gacha card game or whatever

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Regalingualius posted:

IIRC, they actually did have one of their CMs make a post on the Diablo forums with a vague “you might want to temper your expectations” warning right before that Blizzcon. Obviously that didn’t happen, though.

Expectations were tempered generally, it's just that "tempered" in 2018 was "oh poo poo maybe they're remastering Diablo 2", since the SC remaster was the only one out at the time and (as it turns out) was the only flawless no-fault remaster they ever ended up doing

whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

Rocket jumping?
That sounds dangerous...

Dinosaur Gum

Fruits of the sea posted:

Nobody has taken Torchlight’s only innovative idea - autoselling/sending your loot back to town.

That always felt like a weird half-measure "fix", to be honest, like they wanted it gone but couldn't commit to pulling the trigger for real. If stopping what you're doing to deal with limited bag space choked with vendor trash is an issue, there should either be less useless vendor trash or more bag space, not "I interrupted what I was doing to screw with my inventory next to my dog" instead of "I interrupted what I was doing to screw with my inventory after warping to town".