Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Itzena posted:

Lead devs write the story then hand it over to the writers and go "this is the plot, polish it up for us"

Which step is the horny for Sylvanas added? Lead devs? Smaller writers? Both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Pirate Jet posted:

Mm, I see. Youíll have to forgive me for not keeping up with Schreier, he is frequently correct but always a twat.

Honestly it's easy to mistake Blizzard caring about its player base, but you gotta remember: the investors ALWAYS come before the players.

It's an easy mistake to make because they spend so much money making them players think they care.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah the week off is basically "AHAHAHA, what walk out? You can't walk out if we give you TIME OFF, right?"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Blaise330 posted:

there's 900 pokemon...

And ever since Poke-Hawaii there's new regional versions of old pokemon which breaks the "no unique spins on existing characters" rule as you've got Meowth, Chubby Catte purple Meowth and...unkempt berserker Meowth. Not to mention Vulpix and Ice-Vulpix, Ratatta and Mafia Ratatta, etc.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Digital Flower posted:

I am grateful that every time I'm feeling a moment of weakness and think of resubbing on WoW (fully aware there's a hundred reasons why I shouldn't), something new and horrible emerges to snap me out of it. :stare:

:stonk::hf::barf:

WoW filled some sort of hole in my ADD brain, just logging in and working towards a project or goal in that game. poo poo like this makes me want to go back less and less despite that little monkey in the back of my head.

Especially with the brain-drain going on as more and more people leave/less and less are interested in working at ActiBlizz with these stories coming and and somehow finding a way to get worse. I fully expect WoW to limp along and die out, just being nothing more than WoW:Classic servers in a few years.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So everyone's busy laughing at Ubisoft drinking the NFT-flavoraid right?

Apparently their initial trial balloon was so universally panned and laughed at the at the CEO of the company parachuted in to start spouting "NFTs are the future! Web 3.0!" at a big meeting in the last few days. You know, something they didn't have done during the sex scandals.

So "executive suits fee-fees over their latest idiot fad following" > Sexual abuse amongst their studios.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Smithwick posted:

I just want to point out how important this is outside of online gaming. I used to work for a megacorp and we were trying to figure out how to get better implementation of our inclusion and diversity initiatives within the organization. There is a lot of research on messaging and repetition. We used that to shape internal comms and executive messaging to change the organizational culture. It took some time, but we got the needle moving and had success.

It's one of the things I actually like about Amazon (If I have to work there, I better find stuff I like. Such as: I found a job where I sit there and openly read books for half my shift at $18.35/hour)

Of course I'm fully aware Amazon did it originally (and still) because the more inclusive a workspace is the more it slows workers organizing (because the assholes wanna poo poo on the "Other", not strike with them) but it gives me warm fuzzies when I train someone who's openly gay/trans and actually make them feel safe at work.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

Hopefully everybody yelling at them about how much they suck will get them to pull away from nft garbage.

Isn't it the CEO leading the charge towards NFTs? Much like with Ubisoft anything short of taxes and regulations on the items will only encourage them to try harder. Like angry investors could literally invade their office to beat them black and blue and that would just further convince them they're more right.

And the only reasons taxes and regulations will work is because that's what they're trying to avoid :v:

yook posted:

yes they can its called a fart

It's true: dogs are champion farters!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Kith posted:

is a token gesture by an abusive company co-opting LGBT iconography gay enough

Holy poo poo that's...hilariously pathetic/transparent. "Uh...uh..Rainbows, you'll forget and forgive everything if we plaster rainbows everywhere right?"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

External Organs posted:

That's unfortunate. It was really neat to see the Union stuff building seam at ActiBlizz, and I think there's an alternate reality where this acquisition doesn't happen, and the unionization efforts succeed and that model helps it spread to other parts of the industry.

I wonder how much the sale was done to escape the growing unionization.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

given that cod franchise is an absolute cashcow and one of the single biggest things that MS gets out of the deal, I would be unbelievably surprised if they start making massive changes to what is apparently a very working formula

I'm sure they'll also keep WoW. While WoW isn't the largest or biggest cash-cow it's still big enough especially if you consider its cultural impact. And why only grab 1 cash-cow when you can grab multiple ones?

While I'm not happy about all of this consolidation under the great 4-paned banner I am definitely curious what this means to some of my favorite IPs.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

It could have, and might still, get them in trouble with the international journalists too depending on how their contracts are written.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Ubisoft has been making absolutely dogshit AAA open world games for like a decade and basically anyone who plays video games recognizes that they are, at best, a passable waste of time instead of awesome and engaging. Ubisoft getting chopped up and sold for parts to better dev would be the best one.

Ubisoft Mainz (formerly Blue Byte) has been knocking it out of the park with Anno 1800 and it's DLCs. If the rest of Ubisoft has been choking so badly it makes sense why they keep getting the green light to make more high quality DLC for their game.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

Oh dang I hope they land well if Ubisoft is sold. I keep on forgetting they are part of Ubisoft now. Itís still just a small German studio, right?

Yup. Just a single, relatively small German studio. Also apparently the latest DLC season is being made with some funding grant they got from the German government (which I'm sure the execs at Ubi were not at all upset with). I've yet to hear anything hosed up about the studio as well, and I suspect the Ubisoft execs are quite fine just letting it do more or less whatever as long as the money and popularity roll in right now.

And if getting a government grant for a video game shocks you, look up Anno 1800 on Twitch at some point, especially during the prime hours for central Europe: the entire Anno series is insanely popular in Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm looking forward to people rediscovering this with all the "metaverse" games. No you can't earn money by playing, because the economy is dominated by some combination of bots, price-fixing cartels and a bunch of low salaried office workers in the Philippines/India/North Korea/etc.

Oh god, everything "Metaverse" is just so...ugh. I keep seeing stuff that's all "You can do X in VR!" And I'm all "Yes, Second Life has existed for 18 years. Why is this considered new and shiny?" If I wanted to do any of the things advertised in a VR chatroom we've had a program that does all of that and then some that's old enough its eligible for the draft.

And the thing is? I don't want to do any of that BS in a VR chat room. Let alone one full of soulless corporate drones drawn in the "Congealed Disappointment" art style they seem to have chosen for the "Metaverse" crap.