Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Empress Theonora posted:

This is what I think, too. Overwatch felt accessible in a way no other competitive shooter has before or since. Like, as much as I fondly remember hanging out with friends and playing TF2 back in the day, I was miserably bad at it, and felt like a liability to whatever team got stuck with me.

Early Overwatch, on the other hand, seemed to cater to a wide range of playstyles and skill levels, which meant I was still able to feel like I was helping my team and having a real effect on the course of a game despite my relative lack of traditional FPS skills (like, um… aiming). Playing as Mercy back then was honestly the only time I’ve really enjoyed a multiplayer shooter for the game itself.

I think this is why they put a traditional-style tanking role in. You instinctively get into the flow of the game. Heal tank, keep people from killing tank, push with tank. Helps ease the learning curve tremendously when you can tell new players “look, just follow the big guy and shoot anyone wearing a different color”.

This was explicitly the Heavy’s intended role in TF2–to anchor the team. It just happened that his lifespan was measured in seconds with all the Snipers and Spies running around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Khanstant posted:

this seems backwards and people who suck at shooters are a bigger market to aim for than the niche of aggressive trigger pullers who value being really good at playing gun violence simulators a really specific way. blizzard spent all the post-launch patches nerfing and changing things to appease the esports competitive super gold rank whatever players. they got rid of hero dupes and nerfing the hell out of the fun classes that let bad players have fun and hang around average players and esports ragers. Sometimes deleting characters by just wiping skills or rewriting the character. I think the last time I played Mercy couldn't even resurrect anymore or some poo poo lol

they spent the games lifespan trying to appease a fundamentally unappeasable crowd of folks, in a never ending story if you give a mouse a cookie, it's going to want to get it's filthy mouse turds droppin in a glass of milk too.

Except, the first decline in player base was when they introduced Brigitte. A low-skill-ceiling hero that blew up the existing e-sport meta completely. It went from a twitch shooter with a heavy emphasis on dive to…the glorious triple-tank meta that everyone hated, pro and average player alike.

They definitely did not create Brigitte to make Overwatch League more exciting. You couldn’t tell what they were going for really. And that ties back into the actual thread topic: the dysfunction that seems to have been at the heart of Blizzard all along. They didn’t seem to know or care what they were doing because they were too busy getting smashed and going on cubicle crawls.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The Gadfly posted:

I think people need to stop anthropomorpizing companies. Don't get so attached or loyal to them. Great games are made because a group of specific developers worked at the same company in the same time period. It's these developers that people should respect for solely their game-making ability, not the overall behemoth of a company.

It's disgusting when I see people reminiscing about Blizzard like it was an ex.

Don’t like things you fuckos, when will you LEARN