Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Just a few days until d2r comes out and conspicuously we have seen literally nothing from after act 2. Starting to get a bit alarmed

Isn't the expansion supposed to be in, too? Act 5 had plenty of "oh drat" places, you'd figure they'd want to show those off. I can understand not showing off act 3,(who liked act 3, those little blowdart assholes were the worst) but 4's bleak and grey
take on hell and 5's snowy mountain slowly turning into a fiery version of hell are cool and people have good feelings about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

D3 was bad at launch. It also had awful writing and it was clear that Blizzard did not understand the tone or themes of the story.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Always a delight to see discussion of a dead(-ish) game get immediately piledrived by like four or five people who always, always blame it on the kids and their esports.

Probably not the kids and their esports, bur rather a company desperately trying to get in on that ad money and competitive circuit dollerydoos by pushing the esport angle more than the "people like this game" angle. I don't think anyone actually minds the idea of competitive leagues and tournaments, but it's best if they arrive organically via the game just being something people enjoy rather than a company trying to cultivate it.

Also:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Malah posted:

I'm generally pessimistic on the odds of capital actually suffering consequences for their horrific actions, but there are so many different suits and agencies going after Blizz simultaneously that one or even several could do serious damage. Assuming that the govt actually does something to stop Blizzard from destroying (further) evidence or silencing (more) witnesses, without screwing up each othe-

Also, these are actions by and on behalf of capital.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

William Bear posted:

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1407658278893592579

Even if Kotick is fired for cause, he still makes more money than the average AB employee makes in a few years of work. Why do companies set up executive compensation plans like this? You'd think they'd want to strongly incentivize their leadership not to get fired for cause as much as possible.

EDIT: I wonder if his recent request to the board to reduce his compensation affected the above. Maybe his plan is to get fired!

This makes the fact that the board is stickin' with him make more sense. 292 is a ridiculous sum for making a CEO leave, so the fact that they haven't taken the most obvious move makes much more sense. I don't know why they signed this contract, but knowing it's like a AAA budget to fire the guy is an understandable barrier protecting his neck.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Magmarashi posted:

You'd think being a loving sex pest would be enough cause but apparently we just live IN HELL

Being a sex pest was a perk of the job until like... 10 years ago. We're fighting to get out of hell.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Activision's killed plenty of studios and brands, too. Never forget they managed to start the plastic instruments thing and then milk it to death before the whole genre petered out. And how many great studios are now consigned to the Call of Duty map pack mines? EA's attempt in like, I donno, 2010 to invest in new properties and creative IPs was seen as something not just to break away from their stagnation, but something that Activision wasn't doing and was instead just strangling their studios.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

I'm glad that single joke post crisis got sorted. Phew, what a disaster. Good thing people swept in to make a big deal out of it or we might've just completely ignored it or something!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

It's downright shocking to me that any company would allow that behavior. I really have no idea how that happened more than once, let alone for YEARS. That's some really loving deep dysfunction.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

It's obviously pointy from the front in the concept art. It looks like the pointed hoods of the divine order in D:OS2 where they were deliberately styled to remind people of the KKK as shorthand for "these people are violent, dangerous bigots." I don't know how they missed it.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Doom Rooster posted:

Even given that context, I still don’t get this angle. The whole “they made a bunch of money, so they’ll stop trying to optimize their workforce”. A big corp will always get rid of as many employees as they can while maintaining what they consider to be acceptable performance. Blizzactivision could have made a trillion in profit last quarter and nobody should be surprised if they do layoffs.

It’s hosed, but it’s how 99.99999% of public companies would operate, so the focus on it in situations like this always feels so manufactured to me. “In truly SHOCKING NEWS, public company in a capitalist economy acts like a public company in a capitalist economy.”

Yeah it's hosed up and deeply sad that Raven's fate in the CoD mines is thus, but part of spending as little money as they think they can involves hiring as few people as possible and firing them when there's more than they think they need. Labor Organization is the only real way around this, because actions like this are just what companies are gonna do. As part of a systemic critique, it's important. But since we live in the Twitter Age we don't get systemic critiques in the reactions to this.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Like people said, it doesn't look like anything illegal. You can say that your workers are better off without a union all you want, even though you're lying. You can't threaten them or try and interfere with the voting process, but you absolutely can go "no more free oatmeal, you know, cause of budgets"

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

no it's stupid and we just love to say a catchphrase, because the root cause of hierarchies and power isn't catchy or fun

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Someone dying on a hill is never a pretty sight.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Warthur posted:

The distinction does seem to be that small/indie studios are easier to tear down whereas the ActiBlizzes of this world can just cram their ears with money and ignore any bad publicity.

Those with power are insulated from consequences. That's one of the things power does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

pentyne posted:

Don't most of the SV techbros basically hedge their bets and donate to both?

Kotick isn't a techbro. He's an old-school rear end in a top hat in Epstein's flight logs.