Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

I always forget that the warcraft movie exists.

WARCRAFT - because of course they stylized it that way - is an hour and a half of the writers desperately wanting to say "corruption" and not being allowed to. I'm not even really making a joke, but it's been bad times for writing at Blizzard for a long time.

Only managing to piss off the people who still deeply care about WoW lore for the past six years and everyone else just nodding along with whatever blindingly obvious, extremely bad twist crops up next is almost kind of impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Clarste posted:

Surely this means they're also inheriting the lawsuits, right?

Unfortunately the law in America is a wonderful piece of work that will likely say that since Activision-Blizzard is no longer an independent capitalistic and corporate entity the charges need to be either dropped wholesale or brought again with new evidence.

Note that I am not a lawyer but that seems like it would be a large portion of why AB would say yes in what was probably fairly quick in the grand scheme of mergers like this.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

Could they actually keep developing and updating WoW profitably if everyone who's playing it is playing through Gamepass? Aren't MMOs notoriously expensive to keep running? Feels like they might be better off not touching that one for the most part unless they just want to gut it

Part of all the AB stuff coming out has been that Candy Crush et al and Call of Duty have been propping up Blizzard for years. WoW doesn’t make no money and it’s expensive to maintain and create content for but there’s zero chance of Microsoft buying AB only to mothball one of the last surviving MMOs that isn’t the endless churn of Korean clones. They’ll have a plan for it and WoW may change drastically but it’s not going anywhere.

They might even have a shot at fixing it if they oust all the vanilla and TBC players that have been in charge of loving it up for years now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Warthur posted:

That seems like for anyone who is actually invested in WoW the playing experience is going to get significantly worse, simply because there'll be more people who swing by and muck around lackadaisically and then vanish again.

This presumes that the average WoW player is competent and the day trippers will somehow degrade their experience. Be assured they are not.

Orv
May 4, 2011

queeb posted:

microsoft was mad that ffxiv was on playstation only so they bought actiblizz so they could put wow on xbox

That would require an absolutely astronomical amount of engineering work but would certainly be interesting.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I wonder if Microsoft will keep Overwatch League alive or actually try to make Overwatch come back.

I wonder if there's a timeline where instead of League becoming a multi-media juggernaut we instead had a world where Overwatch did that instead, since Overwatch at one time was WAY more massively popular and invested into.

Overwatch did really well for a while but League continued to have millions of daily players and make billions of dollars a year before and since Overwatch’s decline, Overwatch never really caught them.

OWL was a much more interesting way of handling esports though.

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 18, 2022

Orv
May 4, 2011

Chillgamesh posted:

I'm not sure how ESO works but WoW is definitely structured like a classic sub fee MMO where it's gonna live or die based on the frequency of content updates. Dunno if you could do that with a buy-in payment model at any level. That said, I'm sure they've seen the success of the FFXIV free trial and probably have some ideas for how they could expand WoW's to rope in new players.

It's true that games like FFXI or EQ are massively profitable even on maintenance mode, but I'm just saying that if you wanted to keep them roping in hundreds of thousands of active subs you're not gonna do that with occasional holiday and free login events.

A content drought would have to be multiple years of no updates at all to kill WoW or it would have already happened by now. MMOs and GaaS are a literally impossible field to ever fully succeed in because you’re specifically making games for the kind of people that will shred through your last two years of work in a week and then spend the next two years screaming there’s nothing to do but still playing.

WoW has been very ably trying to kill itself for a couple expansions now. It’s not an impossibility that it can be done but we’re talking years of nobody liking the state of the game but still playing it daily at this point.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

This is not true, blizzard makes plenty of money. Neither Activision nor Blizzard consistently make as much as King does (Sometimes activision makes more, blizzard never does), but "wow makes no money" is false.
Blizzard's worst quarter since 2016 was in 2019, pre wow classic release, when they only made a 344 million, with a net profit of 55mil. Their last quarter, entirely post scandals, had a net profit of 188 million. Is it less than King? Yeah, King made 300 million net in the same quarter. But it's not dwarfed by king.

Fair enough, thanks for the correction. Point remains that there’s no way they’re tossing out WoW.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Moola posted:

That's the exact current state of the game though

I don't think it's actually possible for wow to totally die, the only thing that could maybe "kill" it would a wow2, and even then a small strange group of people would want to play classic over and over for eternity

That’s what I meant, nobody liked BFA and Shadowlands is not doing better but if Warlords, BFA or Shadowlands can’t force out the truest of the true then I doubt anything can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

The real poo poo is definitely in user numbers to be fair. Blizzard games have been shedding users for years, since Legion's high of 46m MAUs. They're down to like 30m now. King has like 250m, and Activision has 120m. Blizzard is just relying on their users being nice little paypigs lol.

It is unfortunately impossible to tell which games are driving actual revenue or user numbers though. They scrupulously do not break down where their numbers are coming from so it's impossible to tell between live wow, classic, hots, etc where the money and users are coming from. All we get is a one line blurb like "The launch of wow classic drove strong year over year growth".

To be honest it’s continually astonishing that WoW dips as little as it does. They stopped giving hard numbers back during the bad old days of WoD but it must have a fairly high base line that it’s never dipped below because they’ve never felt the need to really shake up how they design WoW. They just push the levers around on how blatantly they’re loving over your free time this expansion.