Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Empress Theonora posted:

This is what I think, too. Overwatch felt accessible in a way no other competitive shooter has before or since. Like, as much as I fondly remember hanging out with friends and playing TF2 back in the day, I was miserably bad at it, and felt like a liability to whatever team got stuck with me.

Early Overwatch, on the other hand, seemed to cater to a wide range of playstyles and skill levels, which meant I was still able to feel like I was helping my team and having a real effect on the course of a game despite my relative lack of traditional FPS skills (like, um… aiming). Playing as Mercy back then was honestly the only time I’ve really enjoyed a multiplayer shooter for the game itself.

Same. I have friends who are FPS veterans, Overwatch with them made me feel like I was contributing just floating around as Mercy. I’d get a gold medal and always get thanked for heals, even by pubbies! Compare eg Valorant, where I get yelled at for buying the wrong gun or watching the wrong corner, and go whole rounds getting fragged without firing my weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU