Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Minrad posted:

loot is tied to weekly chests instead of being given at the end of the dungeon/raid to encourage you to renew your subscription so you can see what it is you actually won,

Oh wow, how long has that been a thing? That's hilariously predatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Minrad posted:

weekly loot chests have been around since... legion? for m+, but in shadowlands they tacked raids and pvp onto it as well.

I played Legion for a few weeks, and hadn't really planned on playing since I stopped in Warlords. But my friends pulled me back in for another attempt.

I'm not friends with those people anymore.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

The devs of Mechwarrior Online have decided to throw their hat in the ring and gave someone a 48 hour suspension for starting every game by saying "trans rights"

https://twitter.com/daalpacagirl/st...ingawful.com%2F

Oh come on, I just started playing again. :(

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

External Organs posted:

How can one person or even family begin to spend that kind of cheddar. And he's nowhere near like, Musk or Bezos' wealthy. The mind boggles.

Dragons hoard gold; they don't spend it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Rarity posted:

Is... Is that Yoshi?

Wait until you see the mushrooms.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Andrast posted:

We are still talking about video game companies and the videogame industry right? Like, I could see a tech company like google or facebook buying discord for the usual reasons but lmao at goddamn Sony or Microsoft or whatever buying discord for gamer habits.

Game companies could do all sorts of brand awareness stuff by owning Discord. Peddling their titles and platforms, integrating them.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Ubisoft Mainz (formerly Blue Byte) has been knocking it out of the park with Anno 1800 and it's DLCs. If the rest of Ubisoft has been choking so badly it makes sense why they keep getting the green light to make more high quality DLC for their game.

Now there's a series I'd like decoupled from Ubisoft and made available elsewhere again.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Moola posted:

Sleeping Dogs deserves a sequel ASAP

Let Sleeping Dogs lie. :dadjoke:

Or probably not, never played it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Potsticker posted:

There's multiple Dune games, yeah. The RTS one just had a beta or early access launch or something. A friend was having a good time but said there's still a ways to go.

EDIT: Mokinokaro is right and there's a lot of 4x elements to it, too.

It's made by the French company who did Northgard, and is very much like that but with a few twists. So yeah, a 4X RTS hybrid thing.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Diablo 2's problem wasn't loot itself, it was when they lumped in the high quality runewords in.. 1.10? Something like Spirit is dirt cheap, and may as well be endgame material compared to grinding rare drops forever. I could understand runewords being a nice stopgap before the really good stuff, but at some point they went overboard and/or forgot to scale the actual loot. Enigma is another issue I have, being decently easy to get the runes for, while providing more utility than any other item in the game. Why even have a torso slot for items, when Enigma is readily available and so good, to the point of defining every build? Just give every character a teleport at level ~75 if the game assumes you have an Enigma by that point.

And even then, D3 still has the worst itemisation with its ridiculous 10.000% damage boost set items.

E:

I guess this is getting off topic, mea culpa.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 21, 2022

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Analytic Engine posted:

(If this is boring or played out, ignore it)

I posted about Nintendo's moral hazard around supporting their backlog, and their failures to good-faith emulate games like Zelda. Is there a better thread to post that? I assume emulator chat is prob'd as :files: normally but this is literally legal emulation being half-assed by the rights holder, who inarguably did it better for their DS & 3DS ports

Companies letting their old titles languish under old hardware or administrative dark magic is a tragedy. There's so much work, so much art that people wouldn't have access to without emulators, that most would gladly have paid for to experience through curated channels. I lost my Amiga 500 ages ago (cousin forgot it wasn't his, gave it away), and without emulators, I wouldn't have been able to rekindle ancient memories that I now hold very dear. We need to experience where games came from, to really appreciate where we're going, uh, for the most part.

Ross Scott's Dead Game News covers a lot of modern titles becoming needlessly lost due to negligence or greed, and he does a good job trying to explain the bridge between nascent late 80s-90s game design sensibilities and modern stuff.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Rarity posted:

Embracer Group (aka. THQ Nordic) have got into video game preservation and opened up an archive of old games/consoles. Considering all the known issues with saving 80s/90s games this is really cool, even if the idea of being done for corporate benefit is a bit of a hmmm

I just hope they'll come through with their promise of having their hoard be free to loan for research, and not vaulted off somewhere.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

It's also pretty well known that they track absolutely everything they can about you when you visit their site so like... maybe don't do that please lol

I sometimes use it to see how some of the bygone youtubers are doing. The threads seem about as abrasive and inhuman as anything from reddit or twitter, but did I make a mistake? Am I or my data in trouble? I just wanted to know if Spoony was still alive or not. :ohdear:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

pentyne posted:

I don't have a problem with MTX for things that are 100% cosmetic and do not impact the gameplay experience in any way. If they keep adding content they can charge for it as long as the don't materially diminish the value of the original game purchase.

I kinda have a problem with it, as it's potential time wasted on things you don't get to see unless you fork over the cash. It's wasted manpower in terms of general game embetterment.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

It's funny how I'm the opposite. Physical money is a liability I have to carry around or store somewhere, so I just want to burn through and be done with it.

My bank account is a number I get to watch go up, and number must not go down!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

the romancing saga mobage, of all things, is making them a crazy amount of money

A Romancing the Stone MOBA would take off like gangbusters, I tell you!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Never heard of these guys, but sucks for burgeoning creativity to be stabbed in the back like that.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Harrow posted:

I always recommend Firefox to people. I'm sure it has flaws that people who've thought a lot harder about browser choice than I have would know or notice, but for me it's fast, reliable, and a lot of its old issues that led people to prefer Chrome are long gone. You can also use ublock origin on Firefox.

Been using Firefox since no other browser supported Unity in like 2005, haven't looked back since.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

What, people didn't like Eternal's soundtrack?

Considering what he writes, it's amazing they allowed him to produce anything useful for that game.

E:

I guess the delay was the crux of the issue.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Xakura posted:

The composer made 9 (12?) tracks from master files.

ID manager told some sound guy to stitch together 50 tracks from in game music chunks.

ID then released all that together as the OST album, and fans were displeased.

Ah I see, thanks.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Blacula posted:

I think you're looking for the 'thread of good and important videos about videogames'

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895946

Going from page 1 to the latest in that thread is one hell of a nosedive.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I think that's a little backwards though. Microsoft's taking all these steps to show everyone they don't intend to abuse their market power (in large part to try to get ahead of FTC action), but I think the FTC's position is that nobody should have that amount of market power to begin with whether they intend to abuse it in the near term or not.

Yet Disney got through with their merger scot free. I want them see dismantled so badly, set a precedent. Or postcedent, I guess.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Ofecks posted:

I hear the prize exchange vendors are usually run by the Yakuza.

They're still a thing? That sounds so quaint, what are they doing besides cutting off their own fingers and, apparently, pachinko machine hustles?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Pretty much. The vibe from ex employees at Valve is that it's basically Gaben's fiefdom where all the teams fight over getting him to support them.

And he chooses to support nobody, seeing how their IPs are doing.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I keep mistaking him for the Minecraft guy for some reason.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

DVD cases marked the end for big boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I wouldn't be surprised if GOG still has a bigger market share, if we purely count profit, and not active members or whatever.