Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

And every new hero was basically overpowered bullshit on release, right? Except for day 1 Zarya, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Nah, they only brought him back once to be the proper final boss of a lowbie dungeon. Though there is another gnoll, Meatball, who keeps inexplicably coming back (his first appearance ended with him getting blown up to bloody chunks) since his debut in Mists.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

stev posted:

After the first few cinematics/trailers were so well received I really expected it to pivot into a multimedia franchise. An Overwatch Netflix show or even a movie would have done incredibly well in 2017 if they'd been able to find a studio to keep up with that level of animation and someone talented enough to write a long form story.

I’m also just dumbfounded by how many squandered opportunities they had to make it into some kind of massive, mainstream multimedia franchise, considering it was their newest property, so there wouldn’t be anywhere near as many problems with having to recap for people who were unfamiliar with it. Instead, it just wound up being a bunch of professional machinima and comics that kept starting stories, but never seemed to actually go anywhere with them.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Looks like he also wrote the most METAL of the Lords of War cinematics for WoD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG3RVCEwCPg

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Desfore posted:

To expand on this a tiny bit, during the WoD beta, there was a split in the outcome of the Kargath raid fight, based off difficulties. I don't recall the full details, but I think LFR-Heroic Kargath would run away at 2%, leaving his severed blade hand as the lootable object; while Mythic difficulty ended the same way it does now. I'm not sure if they had previewed the Mar'gok fight at this point, but a lot of people started complaining about canonicity of fights, and only seeing the "Full story" on mythic. Plus, I think Blizzard realized they couldn't really do anything with Kargath after this fight, or they'd have to spin some weird "I wasn't really dead!" bullshit for people that saw that version of the fight, so everyone gets to kill him.

That was the first red flag I remember before WoD became a lost cause. Aside from Ner'zul dying in a dungeon, this change basically destroyed the hope for a Warlord-themed raid to cap off the expansion.

The extra kick in the teeth is that Kargath was built up as this insanely cool badass who lead a slave revolt, and brutally shanks the god-king of the arakkoa to death despite his only power being “has a sword for a hand”… but because he was the very first raid boss of the entire expansion, they had to make him a relatively easy fight. Meanwhile, one of the hardest bosses that came after him was just a generic ogre whose whole backstory could be summed up as “a butcher who went insane”.

Mind you, I get the idea of wanting pathos by having him die in the very same gladiator arena where he made his name. It just hits a lot less hard when it’s the very first thing you do in the raid, instead of saving it for some climactic midpoint or penultimate battle before the final boss.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

DreadUnknown posted:

The Jailer is one of the most uninspired character designs Ive seen in a while. So he looks like a spooky vampire with pointless armor on his upper chest, and heck lets add some ratty looking pants too?

He straight-up gets budget Thanos armor at the finale of the current raid, too

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Blaise330 posted:

Okay is the presidemt of blizzard ACTUALLY Arcturus Mengsk?

Mengsk was clever

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

anime was right posted:

figured they were more like raynor because it was all vultures at the top

Vultures were the harassment unit, too

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The fucker is dead, the contracts hold no power over SE anymore! They could just have someone else in house push out new tracks while the game is finished.

On the other hand, if they thought he went too far in his personal life, why didn’t they already start looking for a replacement composer years ago? Was his employment contract just that ironclad?

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

:sigh:

I just—

How.

How is it so difficult for so many creative types in high places to not harass women?

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Coolguye posted:

He was corroborating the abuse allegations, not creating more of them.

Ahh gently caress, I missed a word or two there.

Though now it’s just back to being frustrated at their HR apparently being more concerned about appearances than actually fixing the issues that lead to this clusterfuck

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Clarste posted:

I mean if they were only concerned about appearances they could just fire the abusers instead of the complainers and that would look even better. The problem is they're NOT only concerned about appearances, they're mostly concerned with protecting the powerful.

I just figured that went without saying, considering it’s why they’re in this mess in the first place.

And the kicker in all of this is that the brand damage and suits are probably going to wind up costing them way more than if they’d just handled this poo poo the right way at the time, instead of just sweeping it under the rug until that bit them in the rear end. For me, it was just the sheer number of them coming out all at once that pushed me over the edge to “never again “

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

I imagine it's about playing the odds. Most sexpests probably get covered for by HR and successfully fly under the radar, so it's not worth risking "outing" yourself as harboring a sexpest when you can usually get away with it. But if you roll snake eyes, welp, you're in for a rough time.

The problem really starts when you’re constantly rolling a pair of dice for more than a couple of sexpests

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

sharknado slashfic posted:

The remaining wow players are going to get cross faction guild housing in the next patch, that'll be nice for them

Nah, they’ll get five new endgame progression systems that each take a thousand hours to max out for a 0.4% damage increase

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

And then the tremendous dickbag reveal that it’s unpaid time off, too.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Oh, no, I mean that would be the cartoonishly evil cherry on top to expect from Kotick, at this point.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

They’re probably scrambling to try to make up for the years of brain drain that were already going on even before the door was blown wide open by the lawsuits.

At this point, it seems more likely than not that they’re crossing the threshold into a death spiral.

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

How the hell do you not notice that, considering you’re going to be looking at the back of your character 95+% of the time?

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Yeah, I really doubt that they’d ever publicly declare that they’re done with ABK until they get their poo poo together, since it could have huge repercussions for the rest of the gaming industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 6, 2012

Endorph posted:

the hosed up part is the gun arrest is the one thing i cant blame boogie for

Nah, you still can. Firing warning shots is one of the more irresponsible things you can do with a gun