Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay we can get back in the rails now before this gets to be posting about posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

The point was that online communities would suck less if the people in charge of them cared enough to moderate them, and you said "no they wouldn't because people are garbage". But sure, you were actually coming from a place of deep empathy when you said that. :jerkbag:

I don't want to continue this discussion much longer but I do want to point out that I think you and Moola are talking past one another. You both agree that online communities suck less when they are actually moderated by humans, but Moola's take is that this is true because most people online suck and if left to their own devices without moderation, they will make a lovely community (not saying I agree in general, just trying to point out what I think Moola was saying). The other side here is that most people don't suck but that the moderation is necessary to prevent the minority of lovely people from drowning out the rest.

Anyway, I just wanted to try to put this post out there to mediate in case this argument spins up again, not to continue the argument. Let's all listen to Metis now:

New Super Metis posted:

This is an incredibly dumb derail, let's stop here.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mikemil828 posted:

Just walk out and don’t come back. Some things can’t be fixed.

I’m sure many would love to but don’t have the financial security to just leave a job and hope for the best.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Please keep this thread focused on the main topic. This isn't the right thread to start posting about your Rock Band pickup lines or whatever.

Occasional topical jokes are fine, but let's try to avoid derails before they start.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stux posted:

hm how about no - dr evil.

"Occasional" is the key word. What we need to avoid are derails, not someone occasionally making a crack at Blizzard doing a dumb thing. If this thread repeatedly devolves into derails that are nothing but jokes or inappropriate personal stories then yes, it should be closed. It's not there yet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stux posted:

epic thrhead title ftw :D

I didn't change it, but even then, a jokey thread title is not a derail. Even the #MeToo thread has an irreverent thread title.

If you'd like to continue arguing about this thread, do so in the feedback thread, because this is as much of an annoying derail as the things you're complaining about.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've updated the thread title and request from other mods and IKs to keep the title focused on the topic and not a joke. If there are big headlines that just broke, that can make a good thread title update.

I'm not interested in cracking down on literally any and all jokes in this thread. However, this thread does need to avoid jokey derails, off-topic derails, weird posts about your sex life, and anything else along those lines. You can crack the occasional joke but if you're just here to post a picture of Bobby Kotick's dumb-looking face, maybe take it to Blizzlols.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 19, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

So just like any other long-form MMO at one point or another

Not quite. In most MMOs with long-term gear treadmills, each individual piece of gear has an item level that doesn't change. If you get an item level 200 helmet, that's it, that's what level that helmet is. You expect to eventually replace it with a higher-level helmet, either in a later patch of the current expansion or in a future expansion.

In Destiny, you can feed higher-level gear to your lower-level gear to increase that gear's level through "infusion." If you have a gun with perks you really love, you can keep infusing it with higher-level guns and keep it current. That's not something you could do in, say, WoW if you have a set bonus from a previous raid you really liked, for example.

Sunsetting meant that a whole bunch of guns could never be infused past a certain level and would need to be replaced. They tried to make it like other long-running MMOs, essentially, but players rejected it hard. The problem Bungie has with Destiny now is almost the opposite of other long-term MMOs. Just increasing the item level/gear score number isn't enough to make it worth using New Gun over Old Gun. Now it also needs to have new or better perks that make you want to use it over Old Gun, and that means you have to keep coming up with new perks or gimmicks and also make sure they're worth farming for.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Just a quick reminder this isn't D&D or CSPAM. Let's not have this argument here.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Weedle posted:

it's good to make uncharitable assumptions about terrible companies imo. they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt

However it is also not useful for constructive discussion.

I get that people are frustrated by this kind of thing but this isn't the "scream into the void about the companies you hate" thread. This thread is supposed to be about actually discussing news about the games industry and its various issues and dysfunctions. I've let it spiral into conjecture and outright conspiratorial stuff in the past but let's just nip this one in the bud right now, please.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay we can stop posting about who posted cringe and who made fun of the cringe now.

This thread is for discussing actual news. If you don't have anything of value to post about that, just don't post. Any off-topic posts after this one are getting probated.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This thread is about games industry news. It is not Blizzwatch Part II. If what you want to do is shitpost about how the whole ABK board are definitely pedophiles or scream into the void about how mad you are about Blizzard, do it in Blizzwatch, not here.

I'm going to give this thread a rest for the night because I'm going to bed and this clearly isn't going to go anywhere good while I'm asleep.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay, two things.

First: the no shitposting rule is in effect. If you don't have anything substantive to say, don't post at all. It's okay to just read.

Second: I was honestly going to leave the thread closed for a while longer, but...

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1483428774591053836

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

stev posted:

HUMILIATION FOR LOSER KOTICK

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Harrow posted:

First: the no shitposting rule is in effect. If you don't have anything substantive to say, don't post at all. It's okay to just read.

I know, I know, this is big news and it is very fun to post all-caps owns and hot takes about big news, however if you gotta do that please do so in a different thread. Hell, the stickied chat thread is probably going to be a great place to post some dunks and hot takes all day.

There is a lot to say about this from a lot of perspectives (the IP Microsoft now owns, the continued media consolidation Microsoft is doing, what this might mean for ABK's studios and workers, etc.) and this thread can be a good place for that. That's why I'm trying to enforce a no-shitposting rule.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This thread's getting a bit into the weeds on WoW specifics. I think it's best if this thread sticks to being about the business and industry side of things. There are plenty of other threads to talk about WoW's specific in-game issues.

In fact, the general MMO chat thread over in MMO HMO would be a great place to talk about WoW's issues from a game design/player experience perspective. That is a discussion I'm interested in reading, I'm just trying to keep this thread to its intended topic.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 19, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Hasn’t SquEnix basically been on one long continuous “failing upwards” trajectory since at least when Spirits Within turned out to be a box office bomb?

It's been more like a roller coaster. This is vastly simplified but Spirits Within almost sunk them (and also temporarily halted their plans to merge with Enix, who were like "uh poo poo you guys are losing a lot of money"), then they had some more successes which led to a merger with Enix that led to more successes, then they had more failures, then more successes.

Square Enix's failures tend to be pretty high-profile (things like Spirits Within, FFXIV 1.0, Avengers though maybe that was profitable I don't know, etc.) so it's easy to see a narrative of a company just doing absolutely nothing right but still somehow hanging on, but the only reason they've hung on is because they've managed to successfully recover from those failures.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A major takeaway from the FFXIV 1.0 story for me is how much the Final Fantasy brand means to Square Enix. If FFXIV didn't have the name "Final Fantasy" on it, it would've just languished for a bit before being shut down and largely forgotten. But because it was a Final Fantasy--and a main, numbered one at that--it couldn't be allowed to fail that spectacularly.

It's a wildly unlikely event that'll probably never happen again, or not for a very long time. Usually the right thing to do when something flops that hard is to cut your losses and move on, but the Final Fantasy name couldn't sustain that kind of hit, and so it was worth it to Square Enix to take the huge financial risk of basically making it again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Movies aren't also so stupidly secretive though

The closest comparison would be Marvel movies. When Infinity War/Endgame were being produced they went to pretty extreme lengths to prevent leaks. Your average movie is less concerned with that but it does happen sometimes.

I can understand the reason for secrecy with games, too. Lots of game devs have talked about why they can't really talk about what they're working on before it's ready: people jump to conclusions and can get very angry about those conclusions. Or they see pre-release footage or hear about planned features and take those as promises, so if a feature ends up cut, it can cause a big blow-up. Or they'll see an early build and complain about how the graphics are bad.

This kind of thing happens around movies with big internet nerd fan bases (see: Star Wars) but it's true for basically every game that anyone would actually care to see leaks about.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rarity posted:

There is zero reason in 2022 for people not be running an Adblock extension on their browser

Google will be functionally disabling the ability to block ads in Chromium next year: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/09/chromes-new-ad-blocker-limiting-extension-platform-will-launch-in-2023/

This is tangential to the games industry obviously but just in case anyone hasn't switched to a non-Chromium browser yet (Firefox, for example), it's a good time to do so.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

man nurse posted:

I’m very out of touch with web browsers in the current day, having been rolling chrome with ublock origin for quite some time. Is there one that’s considered the best to use these days, or is it still “there’s a few that are functionally the same but everyone has wildly varying opinions on them”?

I always recommend Firefox to people. I'm sure it has flaws that people who've thought a lot harder about browser choice than I have would know or notice, but for me it's fast, reliable, and a lot of its old issues that led people to prefer Chrome are long gone. You can also use ublock origin on Firefox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Voice actors are very, very frequently unable to comment on projects they worked on until they're actually out so yeah I'm pretty sure she's just under an NDA and can't really say anything about the casting process, what she was told, pay, or anything like that without violating it.

Other examples of this include how actors often can't even confirm they've been cast in a game until a certain date.