Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

They burned a lot of good will over Avengers, because in addition to it being kind of a poo poo game, they also nerfed XP gain pretty heavily right before they started selling XP boosters, didn't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Square-Enix's presentation during last year's Not E3 was almost all Marvel stuff. I don't remember how much of it was specifically Guardians, but I do remember thinking "oh my god move the gently caress on already, I want to hear about FF16."

Or, if you prefer: https://twitter.com/MallowNinja/status/1404161580502335498

The tweet by MallowNinja posted:

Final Fantasy series 45 seconds
Mana series 45 seconds
New IPs 30 seconds
Marvel IPs 35 minutes
Other Square Enix IPs 3 minutes
someone who is good at video game presentations please help me budget this. my audience is dying

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The industry is littered with the shattered husks of games that resulted from some dipshit going "that game is huge, if we copy them then we will also be huge." It happened to Battle Royales, it happened to MOBAs, it happened to RTSes, it happened to MMOs, and so on down the line.

Plus there's problems of "yeah we're in a lovely state right now, but look at how the thing we're trying to copy launched." The problem is that nobody loving cares how things were, they care about how things are. Like the example given here, nobody gives a poo poo how rough Destiny 2 was at launch, because games like Anthem and Outriders aren't competing against launch Destiny 2, they're competing against modern Destiny 2, and they do not stack up.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

The only times it's really worth preordering are the rare occasions when you get a discount for doing so. You could also make a case for preloading large games if you have a slow/bad/unreliable internet connection.

I would also add "you want a physical copy of some niche title." You aren't going to have a hard time getting a copy of the latest Call of Duty or Madden, but somehow I don't think your local Target is going to have many copies of Touhou Genso Wanderer on the shelves.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Fruits of the sea posted:

I think something like a Bechdel test could be useful for looking at general trends in the game industry, but that’s not what we’re dealing with here :smith:

E: also Bechdel and its variants while simplistic still have more nuance because they ask things like “do minorities talk to each other about something that isn’t related to white male lead” and “do they have an inner life/development or do they exist just to progress the story”

Plus the original point/joke of the test was "this bar is so low it's practically on the ground, and most things still can't clear it."

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the official reason, but if you mean "what's the in-game reason," it's because he joined Overwatch under a fake name and is now going to use his real one. If you mean "why did they change his name," it's because he's named after an employee who turned out to be a sex pest.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Minera posted:

lol fwiw shes been a core staple to almost every team comp for like 4 years because people finally figured out how good hard cc and the only anti heal are

more on topic, I really love how consistently and hard blizzard drops the ball on every single action they take. announcing this news post in the first place, and then the new retraction just now. who is their loving PR department?

Remember the "do you not have phones" thing? I'm not surprised the people at the top of this conglomerate of crap are that loving stupid.

The short version for anybody who somehow missed "do you not have phones" is that the big final reveal at Blizzcon a few years back was Diablo Immortal, exclusively for phones, and they were shocked that people who were sufficiently hardcore fans of PC gaming to attend a convention about it would be unhappy about a phone-exclusive title.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

The funniest part of this is that even his dev team were like "If you go out there and announce this at Blizzcon you're going to get eaten alive."

Haha, loving seriously? I knew the entire thing was a shitshow, but I didn't know that even the people making the game knew who the audience was, and more importantly who the audience wasn't.

I mean, I'm not going to say "you can't announce a phone game at Blizzcon," announcing phone game spinoffs as side-things during stuff went well enough for Fallout Vault and whatever the Elder Scrolls thing that turned out to suck were, but god drat, the key bits there are "spinoff" and "side thing," not treating it like it's the main attraction.

I think it's just because the suits saw the tidal waves of money that mobile gaming were making, and said "let's announce the Big New Phone Game at our Big Fancy Convention About Us," and if anybody knew that the sources of that phone game money were absolutely not in the audience, they went ignored.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

imweasel09 posted:

The guy they brought in who fixed a bunch of the problems with D3 loot tweeted about it. Apparently they genuinely didn't balance around the ah, they just flat out balanced really badly and then when the AH got wallpapered over the top of the bad drops it made it seem like the only sane option because they hosed it up so bad.

The video game industry no longer deserves Hanlon's Razor.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Mobile's growth is largely because so much of it is predatory garbage. I don't like saying "gently caress mobile gaming and kill it with fire," but I do think that we need to burn it down and start over.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It's like the difference between "people keep coming back to my burger stand because my burgers are real good" and "people keep coming back to my burger stand because they're all laced with cocaine."

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

You can tell which NFTs are the ones made with stolen art. They're the ones that don't look like someone projectile vomiting into your eyes.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

If you want a sarcastic piss-take on the whole thing (not inaccurate, mind you, but definitely taking the piss), there's Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 in a nutshell by Trueblade Seeker. It isn't as accurate or detailed as the excellent noclip documentary, but on the other hand it's only eight and a half minutes long.

But, yeah, a lot of FF14v1's fuckups come down do "people will no longer tolerate antagonistic, belligerent, deliberate time-wasting bullshit like they did when FF11 came out, the bar has gone up and you need to adjust."

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Ultima Online used to use volunteers to do customer service stuff. That wasn't a GM, as those were paid employees, but it did result in UO and EQ and the like not using volunteer labor for this kind of thing anymore.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

"Do our customer service stuff and we'll let you play for free" is a good deal as long as you don't think about the fact that even assuming minimum wage, if you do it for more than two hours per month, you're getting robbed.

Which is, I assume, the core of the lawsuit about it. It was long enough ago that I don't remember anything about it other than "it happened and that's why everybody stopped doing this," and even that is just because the memory was jarred loose.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I don't think there's anything inherently bad about "help wrangle the crowds and you'll play for free," but that's for, I don't know, a Minecraft server with a couple-dozen people or some poo poo. Origin Systems was absolutely big enough that they could afford to pay a staff to handle this poo poo.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Analytic Engine posted:

"Try finger, but whole."

On that note the Dark Souls II PC port leaked FromSoft's attempt at censoring US gamers in the "Mad Lib" style messaging system; absolutely worth reading the 2010s list. Consider how much K***hts appear in medieval European fantasy

https://mod.gib.me/darksouls2/ngword/english.txt

My personal favorite version of this story is Dark Age of Camelot, which had a chat filter you couldn't turn off that scrambled detected curse words with random letters, so "gently caress" became "kdgg" or whatever. Which was really bad, but then they added the word "bastard" to the filter, and one of the possible weapons was a bastard sword, so you got combat messages like "you hit with you kfyigvk sword for 13 damage." The ability to turn the loving thing off was patched in shortly thereafter.

A close second is the EverQuest forum having a very bad filter, so you couldn't talk about a certain monster. It was only known as a ****atrice.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Mr E posted:

I can only hope that poo poo continues to stay away from the only thing I still care about out of either of them, my dumb FF MMO.

Naoki Yoshida, producer of Final Fantasy 14, has said there will be no NFTs in FF14. I am sure he has the clout to make that stick, given that FF14 is basically funding the company at this point. The big question is if he has enough swing to say "and keep that poo poo out of Final Fantasy 16 too."

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Meta is setting enormous piles of money on fire trying to recreate Second Life, only lovely and sterile, also rife with abuse and harassment because they're a bunch of dumb techbros who don't listen to anybody who isn't a fellow techbro, and certainly aren't going to look at other examples of people doing exactly this to see how they dealt with lovely people.

I still stand by my belief that VR is here to stay this time, but I also don't think it's going to break out of its niche any time soon because this poo poo is expensive.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Its monetization model is not any different, I'm talking about development strategy.
For a long time the common wisdom was "spend as little money as possible making a game and rely on low costs + large margins", even from huge companies with plenty of budget to spare like Square Enix as mentioned above.
The industry is slowly changing and more mobile developers are seeing potential profits in the "high budget AAA mobile game" model, using the same monetization as the earlier low-cost-high-margin games but a much larger initial investment in development.

This seems like a much nicer and more technical way of saying "someone realized they'd make more money if the gacha were attached to actually good games and not low-effort shovelware garbage."

Kale posted:

Is Square Enix, because aside from a couple of consistencies not a whole lot seems to be working out that they've tried lately seemingly just due to stubbornness of wanting to go after certain markets or ideas (NFT's and Games As A Service come to mind) seemingly regardless of whether there's a confirmed market for them or not. That company seems absolutely dead set on those two things so when they say announcements I just kind of presume that it primarily has a lot to do with that. Atlus it's hard to say, but they seem to be getting pulled into whatever Sega has planned for them more and more is the vibe I've been getting lately.

This one, I think, is because of the idea that most of these games will fail, but the ones that succeed will make more than enough money to cover the others with enough left over for a tidy profit besides. But I think that's ultimately self defeating, because if a company gets into the habit of releasing products and killing them relatively soon after, nobody's going to want to bother getting invested in it. Growing a "Google Graveyard" style reputation is not super great!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I don't want regulation to hit for reasons that have already been pointed out, such as "loopholes you can drive a truck through" and "the knock-on effects and collateral damage will be terrible," but it does feel like there comes a point where you have to say "you have had plenty of chances to clean up your poo poo, you have refused, we will now clean it up for you."

This thread seems like it's not the one to shrug and say "they hosed around and are about to find out," but really, "they hosed around and are about to find out" feels like it sums up the current situation with the industry and lootboxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The big three console makers not bothering with E3 makes sense. They realized they don't need to go through all the rigamarole to show a bunch of trailers to journalists who will then share them with or describe them to customers. They can just show the trailers straight to us and cut out the middle man, and save all the hassle of getting things set up.