Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

orange juche posted:

Unless a game dev studio is making conscious, visible steps to increase diversity, and actually makes those diverse members of the team feel valued, assume they're the same shitapes from xbox live.
People who are aggressive and unpleasant to interact with seek out unmoderated spaces. So any space without the ability to kick out poo poo stirrers will naturally gravitate towards unpleasant usually racist/homophobic/etc people. Problem is most online games are essentially unmoderated even for things like blatant hacking (see recent Battlefield beta). So regardless of devs morality you're gonna end up with a lovely place out of laziness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So far as I can tell there has literally never been a time where raising prices ever went to benefit employees, outside of completely employee owned companies.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Maybe I'm being overly radical here, but hierarchies that facilitate abuse of people by those above them on the hierarchy are bad. Men usually being the ones at the top of those hierarchies ain't the problem, so much as them existing in the first place.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Can't you turn on members only chat, achieving the same role as :10bux: here?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

PyRosflam posted:

Coming from gaming in the 90s, "Gay" was such a loaded word that I'm shocked it was not banned out of hand by automated script.

I know times are changing, but how the devil does something like this blow up like this unless its trolling? If you follow the line of questioning it appears the user is bating a ban so he can push some hidden agenda. You have some poor mod who is use to trolls and stuff in general chat and follows rule 0 in that you don't feed the trolls. Also Gay and Trans people (along with anyone else) don't generally jump directly to "I am gay". Its more something that comes out of a general chat or if someone expresses interest in someone.

So this really feels like someone was able to bate a poor mod and less like some kind of global conspiracy or company stand.
:thunk:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

commando in tophat posted:

Honestly, that last part in isolation reads like "Xoe" is either loving stupid or intentionally dense.

:geno: Discussing sexuality has no place in global chat.
:v: ???
:geno: not a place to discuss sexuality, fetishes, politics
:v: wow, you saying it is fetish or political???
They're obviously asking how saying that they're gay violates the rules, given that it doesn't unless you consider being gay inherently not family friendly. Here are the rules copy and pasted from before this whole sitaution occurred.
https://web.archive.org/web/20210814212817/https://kb.tabletopsimulator.com/getting-started/chat-rules/
Rules¶

Rules are open to interpretation. Do not discuss them in chat. See the "Admin Abuse?" section below if you feel they have not been enforced fairly.

Keep chat family friendly.
Please keep chat in English. You can private message other players through Steam or by using /msg <nickname> <message>
Do not try to get around filters/kicks/bans.
Do not harass players or moderators.
Do not complain about games or players.
Do not discuss chat rules or moderators. If you do not like something a moderator did, you can ask them why they did it using /msg name message in private. If they do not respond, or if you feel they have been abusive, you can contact berserkgames@gmail.com.
Bots are not allowed. GeekShed/Tabletop Simulator bots are the obvious exception.
No hate speech. Do not joke about it either.
No external advertising. You may advertise your table within reason.
Do not spam chat. Do not participate in group spam.

The rules quite obviously don't actually ban discussion of sexuality or gender at all unless you are so bigoted that you consider those things inherently not family friendly.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Vegetable posted:

Honestly, certificates of ownership for the Brooklyn Bridge are no more a sham than people getting, I dunno, autographed books or certified movie prop replicas or Pokémon card misprints or the brick from the Berlin wall. It’s not about the actual thing but the symbolism or the rarity of it. If they fix the carbon impact (and it’s already totally possible), then what the heck, go for it. Giant corporations will benefit but legitimate artists as well. And if anyone doesn’t want to participate that’s fine as well.

Of course it’s more than a little lol that Ubisoft execs think the right message is “dumbass consumers just don’t get it.” But I think people do get too upset about markets existing for nebulous things. The collectibles market was already weird and inscrutable for hundreds of years; this is not anything new.
fixed that for you.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

b: if it's totally possible to fix the carbon impact please describe how
Well the solution is easy. Any blockchain could in theory move to go from proof of work to some other method of proof at any time with majority consensus of the mining nodes. However none of them ever will because proof of work, the environment destroying bit, is also the primary barrier of entry that allows them to maintain control of the crypto market. So you'd have to build an entirely new NFT that does not have a connection to any existing major block chain, which would in turn mean that it doesn't have any built in audience and have to find a new way to convert interest by rubes into real world money. This has not happened yet because taking the rubes money is the primary purpose of the NFTs, as a minter why would you cut into that?

So the solution is for libertarians to spontaneously go against their own economic interest. Which despite Vegetable's claims is in fact literally impossible.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 28, 2022

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Also just as one last thing the overwhelming majority of NFTs made from existing art are stolen and do not help the original artist in any way.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The video is almost certainly a political but not right wing video because youtube cannot differentiate supporting and opposing something.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

no, lady radias right. the fact that the nft space is scam central doesn't change the fact that if a reputable system of record - say the smithsonian - would allow artists to register their works, artists could point to that ledger as an easy way to prove ownership. it'd be nice. this is what non-crypto-weirdo artists think that the nft dweebs are talking about (but they aren't, they're grifting as you say). such nfts would be good for artists. the fact that current nft implementations are full of scammers and cryptocurrency nonsense is quite beside the point
It would also be a normal database instead of an append only ledger that everyone has to have a full copy of to verify. The very nature of blockchain stuff makes fixing mistakes or in this case mistaken attribution/fraud impossible to fix without convincing the person who has stolen the work on purpose or by accident to voluntarily give it back to the rightful owner.

Though you/they are correct that having an international body that assisted artists in asserting the right to their work would be helpful. It's just fundamentally unrelated.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Failing to properly integrate studios you acquired over a decade ago is really the failure. Recognizing that it's just not working and selling them off is actually the smart move. Puts you a step smarter at least than AT&T or Boeing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Vegetable posted:

I don’t see how that’s any worse than hiring them for customer service or tech support jobs. NFTs are dumb as hell but getting people to play the digital equivalent of an extra is hardly exploitative.
Hiring people for poverty wages in tech support jobs is exploitation. It's exploitation when it's an American call center categorizing bonuses based on customer feedback surveys as "tips" and it's exploitation when it's an Indian call center where they only tell you if there is a job for you at the beginning of each day.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Harrow posted:

I always recommend Firefox to people. I'm sure it has flaws that people who've thought a lot harder about browser choice than I have would know or notice, but for me it's fast, reliable, and a lot of its old issues that led people to prefer Chrome are long gone. You can also use ublock origin on Firefox.
It also doesn't turn on the software reporter tool as a separate background function like chrome does.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

disposablewords posted:

Jesus, was an exec literally standing there with a gun to their head while they gave this interview?
I have had former IBM and Apple employees make the exact same sort of excuses for their own mistreatment. Saying it was totally fine for their bosses to lay off an entire team or building of people when the state tax break ended or a client stopped paying for the "native English speaker" support upcharge.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Reminds me of how Joe Camel was used after directly marketing cigarettes to kids was outlawed in the US. You still have to go through a lot to legally prove the cartoon mascot is circumventing that.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I get that but how do we navigate trying to raise other peoples kids when they don't care enough?
Why do we ban selling cigarettes to people under 18? Any good parent should stop that anyways.