Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Alkydere posted:

So everyone's busy laughing at Ubisoft drinking the NFT-flavoraid right?

Apparently their initial trial balloon was so universally panned and laughed at the at the CEO of the company parachuted in to start spouting "NFTs are the future! Web 3.0!" at a big meeting in the last few days. You know, something they didn't have done during the sex scandals.

So "executive suits fee-fees over their latest idiot fad following" > Sexual abuse amongst their studios.

Well, I guess that means they don't see sexual abuse as the future, so there's at least that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Yeah, sports franchises staying pretty much the same year on year isn't that bad imho. At the end of the day, you're not going to suddenly add another football on the pitch just to make things different. And as mentioned above, if you only refresh every few years, you do see the little improvements all around.

Now the predatory shift towards microtransactions with FUT, that's a lot more dodgy in my book. FIFA is pretty bad there, no idea what Madden/NBA are like these days. I long for the olden days of stuff like NBA 2k7 where everything was there and offline: solo street player career, NBA seasons, exhibition games...

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
So that's Destiny and... what else? I get the irony of the name behind Halo going Sony exclusive, but it's not like they own the IP anymore. It's more consolidation, for sure, but how does that qualify as 'seismic'?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
https://discord.com/blog/playstation-discord-account-connection-linking-game-status

Just some partnership, but I feel like if/when Discord gets purchased, it's going to cause some considerable upheaval. I'm surprised it hasn't happened just yet. In particular, I always thought it was the obvious solution for Epic to just get pre-populated community forums off the shelf.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Well yeah. I mean, I know gently caress all about business at the end of the day, but one of those icons gaining ownership of the platform would seem like a major leg-up over the others to me.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Andrast posted:

In what way? Discord is just IRC with images and voice chat, what would a game company owning it do for them?

It seems a pretty big user base to acquire, data mine and target. The more integration people use, the more data you get to collect about your customer's habits not only with your platform, but also with that of the competition. Cloning IRC and adding voice chat may be technically trivial these days, but I feel like gaining that kind of adoption isn't.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Andrast posted:

We are still talking about video game companies and the videogame industry right? Like, I could see a tech company like google or facebook buying discord for the usual reasons but lmao at goddamn Sony or Microsoft or whatever buying discord for gamer habits.

To various degrees, Google, Facebook and Amazon are all involved in the videogame industry, and while Sony may be different, I wouldn't put MS that far behind in terms of user data collection. But fair enough, if I'm just being silly and Discord remains a neutral centralised third-party for the foreseeable future, then all the better.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Vegetable posted:

Tag yourself, I’m a Malingerer, Something-For-Nothing Attitude.

Ok then... Lazy, non-productive, inefficient, whiner, complainer, opposes management, over-qualified.

Oh, and union rep. :agesilaus:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

ColdPie posted:

I didn't know Mr Burns could operate PowerPoint

Only if it's a Nuclear Powerpoint.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You could make a Dune game that riffs on every piece of Dune media made

:stonk:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

except the Brian Herbert books because we all have standards.

:hmmyes:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

DarkSol posted:

We already have Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty. Why try to build on perfection? :colbert:

:hmmyes:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Just add interactable props everywhere to Serious Sam and you're pretty much done.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Regalingualius posted:

The kicker is that they’ve also more recently announced a PC port, but from what I’ve been reading, they’re really…

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

…Phoning it in.

:golfclap:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I've never been a fan of those hero-based designs personally. A set character for story-oriented games, sure, but for a FPS? I'd rather they gave you the skill bar in the form of a character class and then provide you with a good cosmetic character creation tool. That would have saved them a ton of self-made issues and allowed everyone to go to town with body shapes, skin colour, mech frames, etc. I might be the minority though, quirky heroes games seem pretty popular. Or I'm just showing my age. :corsair:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

kirbysuperstar posted:

See the thing is, being able to quickly sight what a character is capable of by their general shape and such is important, as shown by TF2

Yeah, thought of that one after posting. I guess icons don't quite cut it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Bust Rodd posted:

I think time has shown us that being able to buy items from other players in a loot game is bad and leads to exclusively bad things. Literally the only benefit is to the No-lifers and botters who abuse the system, it literally never makes the game better or adds to its longevity. That was an important lesson for the genre, IMO

Do you mean RMT? Because otherwise I would argue that the player market is a tremendous success and a key part of Warframe's success for example. There's enough premium currency being bought to flow around that it allows anyone to 1) earn some from trade and gain access to store items and 2) circumvent the most aggravating sequences of bad RNG luck by buying off the item from a player instead.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Ubi giving their customers what they deserve for buying from them in the first place:

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/help/gameplay/article/decommissioning-of-online-services-september-2022/000102396

It's mostly:

quote:

You will be unable to play multiplayer, link Ubisoft accounts in-game or use online features.

Which someone says could heavily affect Anno 2070 as a critical functionality (the Ark) is apparently an online thingie for some mad reason.

But even better, for some games, there's also:

quote:

Additionally, the installation and access to DLC will be unavailable.

Checkmate, customers.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

UnknownMercenary posted:

How the hell are they taking away the DLC too :wtc:

It's "installation and access to DLC", meaning that if you own the DLC but haven't installed it yet for some reason, you might want to do it before September. And make an archive of the folder since installation won't be an option afterwards.

edit: fair enough, I might be misreading it and maybe they just mean "installation of DLC and access to DLC", which is still pretty scummy but they've tried to pull that one before with MMX as mentioned above. My original reading was that installation of the game was part of the discontinued features. I wouldn't put it past them.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 2, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Achmed Jones posted:

no, lady radias right. the fact that the nft space is scam central doesn't change the fact that if a reputable system of record - say the smithsonian - would allow artists to register their works, artists could point to that ledger as an easy way to prove ownership. it'd be nice. this is what non-crypto-weirdo artists think that the nft dweebs are talking about (but they aren't, they're grifting as you say). such nfts would be good for artists. the fact that current nft implementations are full of scammers and cryptocurrency nonsense is quite beside the point

I mean, that's what we already do with things like Land Registry, Bank Accounts, Birth Registers or Criminal Records. Maybe there's something to that 'centralised authority' thing after all.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Nybble posted:

to bring the thread a bit more on track (:v:) this is what actually what happens when you have NFTs in your game

https://kotaku.com/f1-formula-1-one-delta-time-nft-crypto-cursed-shut-down-1848748953

See? If it was a boring old-school game, those players would have wasted their money and have nothing to show for it. Whereas thanks to the power of the blockchain, they still own their NFTs and will absolutely be able to use their F1 cars in Forza, Smash Bros or FIFA! Checkmate haters!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's probably the same few people buying it back and forth to inflate value like every high profile NFT isn't it

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

That's a beautiful curve. I'd love to know who launched the rumour and how much they made out of it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

30.5 Days posted:

I'm pretty sure it's so they can act like ren faire guys, react to what happens around them, be aware of lore, etc. Of course, considering that modern customer service workers are notoriously script-bound due to the very cost-saving measures he's proposing, it wouldn't work how he wants it to.

Yeah, no. Considering he mentions it being only possible thanks to exploiting low wealth economies, it's actually so he can pay them for less than it would cost to hire a programmer to setup and maintain NPC AI. And as such they'd only be expected to do the simplest poo poo imaginable since anything else would mean training which happens to be an extra cost.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Nowadays the gaming industry simply sells "doing our work" as a product to all-too-happy customers. Paid beta tests says a lot about the gaming population...

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Say what you want about Nintendo's own lovely practices, but at least those Amiibos are cute decorative pieces before and after their limited and often worthless in-game use. So cute in fact that the wife, kids and I are regularly arguing about who gets to keep which Amiibos when the time comes for the kids to move out.

But then, maybe cryptobros have framed printouts of their NFTs decorating their homes.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Soonmot posted:

I don't think I've seen an nft cool enough to put on a t-shirt, much less hang on a wall

I mean, the actual blockchain code, not the monkey face. I remember ages ago (it feels like it) we used to have t-shirts with the DVD decrypting code, which made for some pretty alpha geek fashion. Maybe NFT bros like to show off their blockchain to each other?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Different needs indeed, such as that ludicrous need to not be sexually harassed in the workplace. Such entitled generations...

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
It's not like working conditions at Rockstar were particularly pleasant in the first place.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
One-off $4k for the established voice of a franchise that has become pretty iconic? That seems downright insulting. If that's the going rate for VAs, then I have to wonder why VA is even considered as a career by anyone.

Gotta love how they had the cheek of publicly explaining that she wasn't available rather than owning up to it being a money question or just having the decency to shut the gently caress up...

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Stux posted:

she said she was lowballed, presumably because they did not want her back. we do not know why she was not wanted back in the role however she was replaced with a prolific union worker who likely demands a higher pay check than the person who does not do other va work at this point. thats literally all of the information available currently.

She also said she's not exactly snowed under with work offers or rolling in cash. And we know that PG explained her voice not being featured as a scheduling incompatibility. Good on you to both sides this and remain impartial until formal proof shows up. Personally, for the time being, I'm leaning towards the company being slimeballs.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
This story is getting better by the day. :suspense:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Also wtf, SAG-AFTRA gave up on all residuals for VAs? I guess that's why the pay is bad.

That sounds a bit shocking but I'm not sure what 'residuals' are exactly. If we're talking standard royalties, as in a little something they get for every sale, then it's an absolutely shocking concession. However, from what I read in one of those posts, residuals would only activate if the product is more successful than "expected"? If that's the case, then there's potentially a vast majority of workers being hired for mediocre projects that will do average at best, and for whom a better one-off fee per session is going to be a better earner than residuals they would likely never collect, so the collective bargaining might have privileged the option that worked better for most.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
e: didn't realise which thread I was in, deleting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Lol at you all normies playing Doom with music. It's all about the environmental noises and atmosphere. :colbert:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)