Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

"uh gently caress this poo poo, laterrrr"

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1440330613622407183

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RagnarokZ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRAWaole51M

Yep.

Yep. Stop loving buying the games, reading the reviews or watching the content related to Activision and Ubisoft and the rest of them.
you're also seeing this with Riot as their TV show and spinoff games are doing very well. the elephant in the room got pushed into a closet

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I could live with that fundamental character lineup change to Paper Mario if they just didn't oversaturate the game with multiple versions of the same character. There's honestly plenty of characters/enemies in the Mario universe that you could populate an RPG with, but for whatever reason they go super Toad heavy.

like, there's Eerie, Blargg, Galoomba, Rex, Jelectro, Muncher, Goonie, Burt, Tap-Tap, and that's just from mainline Mario games on NES/SNES. dig into Mario Land 1-3, the 3D Marios, there's plenty of material they just outright ignore that could easily populate the world with disparate characters

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

packetmantis posted:

Why would they make such a stupid rear end rule in the first place?
probably underestimating children's intelligence too, ie "children won't be able to remember so many characters! they're so stupid after all"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SpicyPete posted:

Bunch more poo poo surrounding ABK tonight, fired a bunch of QA even after Warzone made almost $2 BILLION last year:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1466922319503413252
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1466926920914903042

And there's an ABK president on the board of The Game Awards, so the Doritos Pope has outed himself as a bootlicker:
https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1466880749928435712
https://twitter.com/owoathkeeper/status/1466852697940783105

Turns out Geoff can find the time to whine about Konami stopping Kojima from accepting an award, but draws the line at sexual harassment, abuse, and discrimination.
i mean it's not that surprising, Geoff continued to be friends with and platform "the nazi experimentation on Jewish bodies was a silver lining to the holocaust" Boogie up until his gun arrest

like, as in, having "Anita Sarkeesian is responsible for the Charlottesville murder" Boogie on his E3 show and poo poo

and he ran promo for COD Vanguard at Gamescom while the stuff about ActiBlizzard was already coming out

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i hate this news. I hate that bobby kotick will continue to oversee and do nothing about harassment in his company for at least the next year and a half if not longer. i hate that this will go through without a block, i hate that this was done purely for money and opportunity and a stock bump, i hate that employees who already are fighting for their rights now have to dread whether they'll even keep their jobs after the merger goes through, i hate acquisitions in general, and i hate that the whole thing feels like a reward for activision rather than a punishment.

gently caress capitalism and gently caress everyone involved with this. :/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Nah, overall it seems like they're a lot better on that front since they switched up to Satya Nadella/Phil Spencer as CEO and head of gaming respectively in 2014. That said, they've made a lot of big acquisitions in the last few years and it hasn't really been long enough to see how that plays out for those studios in the long term.
Whatever happened to the We Happy Few devs? Do they have another game on the way?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I really don't think Nintendo gives a poo poo about the acquisition game and has no interest in being acquired. Microsoft already tried to offer a merger with them before and they were laughed out of the room.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They probably would just make more money keeping it multiplatform, and then have it on Gamepass as the hardware seller, so they'd still benefit.

Also, to this point, no Activision game has ever been on Gamepass, and we might start seeing them come over this year in the lead-up to the merger. It'll give them some tentpole headliners from month to month if they can say that, for example, Sekiro were to come to Gamepass.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

most indie devs are one or two people so the idea of being bought out is farcical. sony's gonna buy out... a person?? it doesn't make any sense

get paid if you can though, get it!! get that cash so you can live and eat and function

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

got the PR in my inbox, indie people are starting up a new studio focusing on employee wellness and looking to make Journey-type games (the co-founder was a designer on Journey so yeah).

quote:

Co-founders Chris Bell (Journey, What Remains of Edith Finch, Sky: Children of the Light, Way), Lexie Dostal (Dustforce), and Stephen Bell (Blaseball, What Remains of Edith Finch), alongside a talented team of developers from projects such as Spider-Man, Ratchet & Clank, Skyrim, the Fallout series, Ashen, and The Hobbit, are excited to officially announce their remote-first studio: Gardens. Gardens is built on the initiative of growing a studio that’s transparent, sustainable, inclusive, and empowering. The team's core mission is to create vibrant online games that foster meaningful multiplayer moments and relationships between players around the world.

“With Gardens, we wanted to create a studio that cares as much about the health, happiness, and wellbeing of its team members as we do the craftsmanship of the games we create together. Our top priority is making sure our teammates enjoy their lives and are given the tools and resources to grow while creating compelling, well-crafted, thoughtful games that cultivate novel shared experiences between players online. ” - Chris Bell, Co-founder.

Focusing on collective growth, Gardens offers competitive pay, equitable salaries across departments based on years of experience, mentorship, stock options, unlimited PTO, 35-hour work weeks, and robust benefits (including full medical and vision, dental, 401k contributions & more).

Gardens’ upcoming, yet unnamed game, builds upon the special ways members of the team have designed shared online experiences in the past (Journey, Sky: Children of the Light, Ashen, Blaseball, Way), with players crossing paths in a mysterious and magical world driven by the concept art of ma-ko, art direction by Leighton Milne (Ashen, The Hobbit), and an art team led by Ryan Benno (Spider-Man, Ratchet & Clank).

not sure what this means for Hitbox Team, but I assume Spire is dead since it's been in development for, what, 9 years? And there hasn't been an update on the hitbox site in 5 years.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 2, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Moola posted:

It's really cool that "haha kill yourself 😂" posts are just given a slap on the wrist at worst
"die" does not mean "kill yourself", don't be disingenuous. if you really do believe that, wait until you find out what one of SA's subforum acronyms stand for

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

why on earth would you link that site in this of all threads

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

such nfts would still not be good for artists on account of the ecological devastation they cause, but i guess i see what you mean. it could be, like, just a ledger, and not be crypto or NFT in any way

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

It's probably not going to have as many fun side activities as Bully but there's something similar in the works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL7cZpOvHSg

Absolutely fails the female protagonist request though, sorry.

there's also a game in the works called detained that's similar to river city girls by The Vagrant dev

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Endorph posted:

what is sony going to do with the rights to a bunch of shonen manga nobodys reading.
i don't think sony will acquire square enix, but, like... sony owns crunchyroll+funimation and now rightstuf, and crunchyroll has a manga app/sub

so that wouldn't be a problem for them I think, just more amalgamation there

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fair enough

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Looper posted:

fursonally i would rather talk about labor abuse at nintendo of america than forums grudges
especially since the poster in question was speaking on topic and in defense of the victims. decorum and capitalization-policing is for resetera

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The world's most cynically named IP farm and questionable decision makers on where to host AMAs strikes again

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1560117210181275648

They've also acquired Tripwire (Killing Floor) and Tuxedo Labs (Teardown)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

THE BAR posted:

Never heard of these guys, but sucks for burgeoning creativity to be stabbed in the back like that.
Sidescrolling adventure game with lovely art

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's really cool actually to just train an AI on living artists' portfolios so that you can put them out of a job and flood the market with soulless garbage based on their styles. that owns a lot and isn't at all terrible

empowering the next generation of Todd Goldmans

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 16, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SCheeseman posted:

As opposed to mass produced commercial art today which is different because
because artists are paid you moron

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SCheeseman posted:

That's a commission. Most people buy artworks that are mass produced and you're not paying a person but a copyright holder who isn't an artist.
... what the gently caress are you talking about lol. commercial art employs artists. they get paid to make the art

i'm going to joker

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the biggest problem that I see with AI art being used by mega studios is that without proper disclosure of where the bots are training from, there's a chance that Ubisoft uses AI art that ends up stealing art from Nintendo or Naughty Dog or something (it is clear that even midjourney, the most theoretically ethical, has been trained on commercial artwork from Studio Ghibli, based on what i've seen)

and art theft is at least somewhat taken seriously at the AAA level, because Naughty Dog had stolen a painting from ACIV: Black Flag for an Uncharted 4 trailer where they painted over the assassin in the painting, and when it was called out, they immediately replaced the trailer

i also think that if this was taken to a legal setting and it was big companies doing the lawyering, there's no way a judge is going to side with the "isn't technology exciting! the future!" people and is instead going to make a ruling along the lines of "a machine isn't capable of creative expression" and therefore such work isn't transformative enough and thus infringing on copyright

that's why I think ultimately the best usage for these AI models, at least in the early going, is to be non-commercial use only, basically for mockups and visualizing your ideas. and then discuss with regulators and an ethics board how best to put together a service that can be trained only on public domain and copyleft works for commercial usage. maybe even donated art and art collections. i just feel like there's a better way to be doing things than just flying by the seat of the pants

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 18, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Toxic Mental posted:

lol What is this

What is he even doing here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEt27Jgp8gs
what i know about dunkey:

- he put a racist meme in his assassins creed origins video
- he was too toxic even for league of legends

i can't imagine him running an indie game publisher is going to go much differently than the idiot running nicalis

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

E: gently caress

i apologize for the big fuckup, it was crowbcat who put the racist meme in their AC origins. dunkey IS the one who got banned from LOL & DOTA for being too toxic though. dunkey said some racist poo poo in a different video that has since been privated.

i get these fuckheads mixed up because they both do the same videos basically

yeah Dunkey's ban from LOL was for hate speech

https://www.pcgamer.com/league-of-legends-youtuber-gets-banned-for-hate-speech-makes-angry-video/

quote:

"However, we really can't show favoritism to someone just because they are a pro or a known content creator. This isn't really a debate about whether trashtalking is OK or not OK in games; we've talked a lot in the past about how we're OK with players bantering with their friends but you should be careful when interacting with strangers who may not understand your intentions–especially if you're using hate speech or slurs. We have a zero tolerance policy against hate speech, racism, homophobia, and sexism and that policy stands whether you're a random player, a pro player, or a Youtube celebrity."

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 22, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yeah i goofed on that and apologize for the mixup. here's instead a vid where he drops the F word in 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fGma2q_zyw

i don't want to get too far in the weeds on this, and since his new video is just bragging about his apparent tastemaker status, i guess none of this is really thread appropo anymore. so i'll get back on industry stuff

Vizuyos posted:

Honestly, it says a lot that they even bothered to announce it. Only a tiny fraction of Twitch streamers are making that 70/30 split, they're all on individualized contracts, and I'm pretty sure they haven't actually given anyone new a 70/30 contract in a while.

They could have quietly waited for the existing contracts to expire and then renegotiated them down to 50/50 one-by-one, and no one would have noticed. Making a point of announcing it like this strongly suggests they're not really worried about their image among streamers.

On the other hand, they did recently increase the ad revenue share...but only if the streamer sets up their auto-ads system to run 3 minutes of ads per hour.
I'm sure this was planned for a while but the timing is interesting coming right after Twitch just put restrictions on gambling content. No doubt they'll be losing some money from the gambling streamers that decide to take their audiences elsewhere (although I have NO idea what other streaming platform policies are on gambling)

The timing is also interesting with Youtube announcing licensed music for creators today, which I think will at least cause a partial swing of people from one to the other, as copyrighted music continues to be one of the big issues for streamers, as well as content creators in general. Twitch being like "oh by the way, we're taking a larger cut" is awkward timing to be sure. I think Twitch has like, an amount of safe music, but not a ton. And if Youtube gets even one semi-big label on board, it'd be pretty massive.

That said, the fact that you lose a significant cut for each piece of licensed music you use without licensing directly, is gonna be an issue too.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 22, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lady Radia posted:

now u seem obsessive. stop being a weirdo
i legit didn't mean to go deep/dumpster diving, i just wanted to get my facts straight so i wasn't peddling bullshit

Lady Radia posted:

twitch alienating its biggest creators while the rest of the industry is catching up to streaming infra is super dumb. i don't really understand what the play is.
they're moves typically made by a company that believes it has no significant competitor pressure, i'm surprised they haven't raised the price of twitch subscriptions yet, but maybe that's coming.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

je1 healthcare posted:

I thought Dunkey was puerto rican? Or are they white now
He's from milwaukee according to wikipedia

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lady Radia posted:

someone implying if u were from milwaukee it means ur definitely white is. incredible. just awe-inspiring
what?? i'm just saying he was born in milwaukee. he could be second generation puerto rican but there's nothing about that on wikipedia.

it's not really all that relevant to his status as a publisher though

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gently caress off, i was just answering someone's question about whether they were from puerto rico or not, with information from wikipedia the online encyclopedia. i didn't say he was white. what's your loving problem?

and i don't understand what it has to do with him being a publisher either! idk why it was brought up in the first place

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lady Radia posted:

now folks are literally saying this streamer is a racist from this video, hoping no one would watch the video, and other posters are saying u cant be puerto rican if ur from milwaukee. that sucks, op

sorry. i know u posted that to try to patronizingly dismiss me but those are my thoughts.
okay, i see what you're saying, but i was only relaying what i saw on wikipedia, and wikipedia doesn't say anything other than that he's from milwaukee. i wasn't trying to imply that people from milwaukee can only be white. i was just answering the first part of that person's question. i don't know what his ethnicity is or why it's relevant to his getting into game publishing. i don't know why that guy asked the question in the first place, because i didn't watch the video (as is clear i'm not a dunkey fan), so idk if it's something he brings up in the video or what. maybe that poster was being weird. i at least understand where you're coming from now

can we get back to industry talk now? and yes this is a ninja edit

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Regalingualius posted:

And :blizz: just announced today that the next WoW expansion is launching two months from now.

…Which puts them on a trajectory to have the world first race for the first raid’s hardest difficulty happen right around Christmas for the second expansion in a row.
What does this have to do with anything

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think it’s fair to not yet be having a specific take about cultural differences based on what was originally posted in this thread as “word on the street”

Outside of that, I would be surprised if Hale comments, unless she also wants to break NDA. A proper journalist could dig in and uncover the full details and I wouldn’t be surprised if that happens, given that this story has gotten large enough to even be on TMZ’s radar.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stux posted:

regardless of anything else i think a japanese person, or anyone else for thaht matter, not wanting to deal with english speaking people doing the insane move of speaking english at every living thing on the planet and getting confused when theyre annoyed isnt an issue.
yeah his tone is tedious but his not wanting to deal with americans yelling at him is not really that weird. i'm an american and i don't like americans yelling at me either!! as always the solution is to not be on the bird hell site

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gently caress SNEEP posted:

How many more posts do you think it will take before Stux throws a big fit and gets banned again?
stop posting

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ain't gonna speculate. I'll just say that in that article and separate tweets, Jason says that Bloomberg has documentation to prove the multiple session offer. The article's placement of the phrase makes it unclear, but it's clearer in the tweet:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1582439093677723648?t=qDYAE7p-WasytCEWWdLjdA&s=19
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1582444590602522624

also to compare $3-4K/session against the union minimum:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1582452096942878720

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 18, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bethesda put out a response to Mick Gordon:

https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/1592971214817222656

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/how-much-does-from-software-crunch

quote:

Following the success of Elden Ring, a series of negative reviews of From Software surfaced on Twitter, claiming that staff at the studio often faced excessive overtime and a chronic dissatisfaction with pay.
GamesIndustry.biz spoke to a number of From Software employees, past and present, to gain a better understanding of how the issues raised affect those working at the Elden Ring developer. The studio does not permit employees to give interviews, whether they still work at From Software or not. As such, all sources wished to remain anonymous.

quote:

One source was quick to refute the stereotypes of Japanese companies overworking their staff: "The general industry in Japan is not that crazy compared to my experience in other fields. Japan has a lot of holidays [and] there is a rule that [From Software] staff shouldn't stay later than 10pm, and 90% of the time, staff won't stay later than 9pm."
How is this overtime compensated? According to one source, overtime is "generally included in the salary." After midnight, however, "we were paid late-night overtime but that was half of our usual hourly rate."

This is unusual in Japanese companies, where "hourly wages are often increased" after midnight.

This tallies with a generally below average rate of pay at From Software. ... Those employees can expect, according to data on Career Connection, an average yearly salary of ¥3.41 million (equivalent to just shy of $25,000) – significantly less than the ¥5.2 million ($38,000) employees at the comparably sized Atlus take home. (It's worth noting that conversions throughout this article have been made using current exchange rates, though the Japanese yen has fallen significantly against the dollar in the past two years.)

Compared to the cost of living in Tokyo, one source said From Software's "salary is not adequate." They went on to say that others close to them at the studio "did not appear satisfied with their salaries either."

Salary Explorer reports the monthly average salary in Japanese game development ranges from ¥231,000 ($1,675) to ¥735,000 ($5,328). By comparison, recent roles advertised at From Software all start "from ¥220,000 ($1,595)" per month.
With the immediate success of Elden Ring, publisher Bandai Namco announced in February that it would be raising salaries "by an average of ¥50,000 ($362) per month for all employees." Moreover, base monthly salaries would increase "from the previous ¥232,000 ($1,681) to ¥290,000 ($2,101)."

With all its current roles advertised at the same ¥220,000 base rate, there is no sign that From Software intends to do the same.

quote:

One suggested the long hours are a bit like playing Dark Souls. "It's kind of tense in a way," they say. "There's a lot of struggle to get things right, but if you get over the hump it is very satisfying. It's just like you defeated a boss in Dark Souls."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if a kid accidentally picks up one of his dad's 150 automatic weapons that he keeps in the garage, it's on the parent for not being a responsible gun owner and making sure the guns aren't loaded

"wait why are we allowing people to buy and own 150 automatic weapons"

that doesn't matter. shut up. there's nothing we could ever do about that. let's just concern ourselves with what the owner does after buying the 150 guns