Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kith posted:

tracer's polish name is smuga

smuga balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah, it could be any number of companies, which is really the worst part.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm straight and trans.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

So kiss a little longer
Stay close a little longer
Hold tight a little longer
Longer with Big Gay

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Moola posted:

Him having pedo evidence and reciepts on other members is my guess

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Silly Moola, you can't speculate like that! We have to stick to cold hard facts like Bobby Kotick's contact information was in Epstein's little Black Book.

https://twitter.com/PMS_Jordan/status/1461100750285815814

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

DanielCross posted:

I can only hope that such a failure from a large studio will discourage others from trying, but I'm not that optimistic.

I remember how well Horse Armor went over and look how, eventually, that turned out. You're right not to take an optimistic view on this.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kanos posted:

and be completely free of any implied long-term commitment to said NFTs?

This is the best part, there is no reason or compulsion to actually support any given NFT in the future. Sure, it's something that could happen and is part of the fantasy they're trying to sell people on, but that's just part of the grift that they want you to believe that's a possibility so you buy in.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Big lmao at "None of our rules or written procedures say we do a sexism, so we don't do any sexism"

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Youtube is really bad about serving notifications for streams, letting you know which people you are subscribed (or even have memberships for) to are streaming, and letting you know how long a stream has been going unless you click into it. I'd think that the last one is by design, likely so Youtube doesn't have to fetch realtime numbers on the video listing, but as someone who primarily watches streams on Youtube because of how bad twitch seems to run when I'm trying to watch small time streamers, there's still a lot YT could do to be "good." The notification one in particularly is baffling, because YT will serve me notifications on the web page for a stream I'm watching, for the stream I'm watching, saying it's just starting when I've already been watching for half an hour or more.

Arzachel posted:

You can't establish yourself on youtube because there's zero discoverability so it's all people who got famous on twitch. Maybe facebook is better about this but lol facebook

Adding also to the above, YT has such a dogshit algorithm for serving you content you might be interested in. Heavy pruning of my history and marking videos/channels as not interested or blocking has lead over the past couple years to YT not actually offering stuff I might find interesting (which I still have to search for) but at least it's now rarer that I get stuff from lovely people. Though, YT will occasionally still try to be like "Hey, remember this creator you watched at some point, even though you've marked their channel as something you no longer want to see because it turned out they were a lovely person-- maybe you want to watch them now???? hmmmm??"

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah, I have enough issues with anxiety that I don't need help on that front, so Youtube's lovely algorithm itself is the only agitating thing I consume on youtube.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Arzachel posted:

The recently added mouse-over preview also counts as a watch for history

Yup! Also annoying if you hover over a video for even a few seconds. And it starts at the beginning of the video instead of the old preview style where you could reasonably get an idea of what was in the video rather than just starting to see whatever inane intro the video has. I'm willing to bet it still counts as a view for the channel even if you remove it from your history AND counts towards discoverability for other people to be recommended it based on them sharing interests.

The sidebar in specific I only ever touch if I'm watching like an LP series of some sort because that seems to have even worse recommendations on average than Home.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Xakura posted:

Settings - Playback and performance - Inline playback on/off

Cheers!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You could make a Dune game that riffs on every piece of Dune media made except the Brian Herbert books because we all have standards.

This is what I'm really hoping the Dune survival game being made by the Conan Exiles people turns out to be.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

Isn't the new Dune game an RTS? Or are they making another one as well with Conan mechanics (or similar)? I got all jazzed and then gave moisture to the dead when I saw it's an RTS because I don't enjoy them.

There's multiple Dune games, yeah. The RTS one just had a beta or early access launch or something. A friend was having a good time but said there's still a ways to go.

EDIT: Mokinokaro is right and there's a lot of 4x elements to it, too.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

King Cohort posted:

Note how Overwatch's women are less than half as diverse on age than its men, less than half as diverse on beauty, and less than a third as differently abled. Cool representation Blizzard!

It's making me laugh that not only is this just all sorts of bad just existing, but if you look at and analyze the data that they themselves are providing-- by their own metrics they're doing a lovely job!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rarity posted:

If Roblox wasn't bad enough in exploiting child labour and promoting gambling to minors they're not also inspiring terrorists

That really reads like someone trying to pawn off blame. Not that roblox isn't bad and that sort of content isn't not appropriate, but that really reads like "It's the video games' fault!"

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Blizzard bad aside, how do you as a parent let this happen? It's not like she spent $300 in one go right under your nose, she did so over the course of three years. Like I get it, lootboxes, etc, but also... just don't give your child your credit card or at least pay attention to the stuff being charged on your account?

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah, like, what if, we blamed the parents who allowed him to buy a gun and go kill animals with it as a hobby. her to use their card and buy the card packs. That seems like a much better place to start examining where things all fell apart, IMO!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rarity posted:

I think they're less talking about Roblox as a whole and more the weird fashy 'experiences' they allow to run on their servers unmoderated

I mean, the kid is directly saying that his actions were due to roblox. And I agree, moderating the content is good and also that parents vetting their kids' experiences with video games and online.

Macaluso posted:

Yes I saw Bust Rodd's post. I'm not saying it's the parent's fault and not Blizzard's fault but also it is a little bit of the parent's fault.

edit: And I'm talking about the Heartstone thing specifically, Roblox is a whole other mess

Yeah, my main point I guess is that there's a lot of blame to go around. The parents are at fault but they have Blizzard/Roblox/Government failing to regulate things/whatever their boogyeman is to avoid blame and Blizzard is at vault, but they're blaming The Parents/Laws/Whatever and so on and so on. There's plenty of places for all the different fingers to point.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sorry everyone, Stormfront was just the first link google gave me!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kanos posted:

GTA 5 made them so much money scamming people with shark cards for GTA Online

What was this about? Shark cards?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

secretly best girl posted:

That was the term for microtransaction currency cards for GTAO. I believe after a certain point they began bundling all digital copies of the game with those to prevent refunds, as well.

Ahaha. Wow, that is a scam. Thanks.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

I think the thing that hurts 12 in people's memories is how it doesn't have very memorable characters.

How many minutes into the game did you stop that you never met Fran and Balthier?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Like they said, not very memorable characters :smugdog:

Speaking of memorable characters-- who are you again?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kith posted:

Very interesting phrasing implying that it's one specific person's fault. Who of the big names with that much authority are actually left at Blizzard, though? I feel like most of them resigned amid the multiple concurrent scandals.

The jerk isn't necessarily someone at Blizzard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

i dont work tech so this is secondhand but ime depends on the sector of tech you work in. startups and stuff are definitely as bad as games

The tech startups I've worked for, including those in the mobile games market, were some of the easiest-going places I've been at. On the level of come in at 10 to noon and leave at 5. The only people who flunked out were people who were not doing actual work. Even at the place where we had one QA guy who played WoW at his desk during work hours was given a soft touch because he completed all his tasks and there were no issues with his reports in terms of quality or quantity. The worst places have all been large corporations where no one actually cares about the products or the quality of work. Just absolutely grinding people out at the whims of upper management trying to play oracles with reports from marketing.