Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

i love ye and i preciate ye and im thinkin bout ye ever day and night

ErrEff posted:

Yes, its’s the whole package and the devs have said they’re “not ruling out new content”, whatever that means.

Buy a hat for your Grizzly summon!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

tithin posted:

What, don't you guys have cooked books?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Grondoth posted:

D3 was bad at launch. It also had awful writing and it was clear that Blizzard did not understand the tone or themes of the story.

For all it's quality of life stuff, yeah. The D3 story was and still is...terrible in every way.

Also imo the music is bad and completely forgettable.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I have never done warcraft but what about like a Knight's of the old republic 1000 years ago thing. Could be cool I guess.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Overwatch 2 will now be a TikTok experience the whole family will enjoy.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

Is there a chance all this lawsuit stuff will affect the release schedule of Diablo 4? I wouldn't think so, but if I knew for sure, I wouldn't be asking.

Didn't the lead producer get shitcanned? I reckon it's an extremely weird project to be working on right now.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Maybe not the thread for it but the discussion makes me curious if there are any worker owned game development co-ops.

I follow like 0% of the industry.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Hauki posted:

l m a o

The recurring corruption trope was projection all along.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

yook posted:

I just wonder how many of these minor changes will turn out to be accidental confessions like the big cleavage painting of the woman they removed that turned out to be an intern that got sexually harassed and left the company years ago.

Turns out the "big shoulderpad" era of games was all a coverup of evidence leading to the arrest of Hillary Clinton :(

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Posting through it I see.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

How can one person or even family begin to spend that kind of cheddar. And he's nowhere near like, Musk or Bezos' wealthy. The mind boggles.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Minions, Acti-Blizz has nearly fallen. Many of you have gorged yourselves on blood and manflesh, but don't let your feasting delay you. I will have the shareholders and the California Government before the next dawn. The rest of this world will fall soon after

/

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

If only Reagan hadn't deregulated the games industry

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

"Internally, we had this super hardcore men's group – we’ve got a lot of hardcore fuckheads at Blizzard – that tested boundaries, and we got it to the point where they thought it was sexist enough, then we doubled it."

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I'm not well versed but aren't statements like that hilariously illegal? All the anti unionization stuff I've heard of is more subtle / coded kind of language.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Splorange posted:

I mean, there's pedophiles trawling the platform and there is other abuse so, on par with, I'd say.

loving hell of course there is.

Say what you will about Nintendo's limited investment in online communication in their games, but it's probably hard to search for young kids in Mario Maker and be loving creepy.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

MikeJF posted:

That's explicitly one of the big reasons they've been so halting and frustrating about online with ridiculous friend code setups and limited communication and phone apps. They've been terrified of the day a newspaper can run a headline 'predator stalks child through their Nintendo'.

Honestly now that I am a parent I totally get it. Roblox was one of those things that I was thinking "well, maybe I'll have to learn about this poo poo in a few years"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I have a lot of gay friends who are cooler than me can I still post or,

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I'm genuinely curious - what happens to the union efforts at Activision now? If those are completed, do they become null and void once the company changes ownership?

Do any Microsoft owned studios have unions?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

Yes, but only in countries where unions are protected. So you might have a studio with two teams across the world, one with unions and one without

Microsoft itself is very anti union and has been structured in a way where its very hard to unionize after a big effort by contractors in the 90s

That's unfortunate. It was really neat to see the Union stuff building seam at ActiBlizz, and I think there's an alternate reality where this acquisition doesn't happen, and the unionization efforts succeed and that model helps it spread to other parts of the industry.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

It's interesting to look at Netflix of all companies getting into the mobile game space recently, more as an Amazon Prime style "value add" for already existing subscribers. Also in context with stuff like Arcane being a league of legends story.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/11/netflix-gaming-starts-to-look-legit-with-impressive-league-of-legends-spinoff/

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I swear I'm not a Netflix stan but I do see the opportunity there - they have crazy popular franchises and shows that drive a serious amount of popular culture. It makes sense for them to try to capitalize on it, even though right now their offerings are essentially nothing. But they also arent hard to get into - I've already got a Netflix account, so sure I'm going to try their new card battler game that's free on Android with my subscription, and also know that it doesn't have micro transactions.

Definitely a drop in the bucket right now, absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

You could make this exact same argument for Disney, Warner Brothers, Viacom and Fox. Every major media company has popular franchises, do you ever wonder why they don't just spin up their own in-house AAA game publishing/streaming divisions?

This is true! Fwiw I don't think Netflix is developing them in house, but I'm not 100% sure about that.