Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

eSports Chaebol posted:

Uh Jones was loving everyone too. But he was also a commie. It’s so bizarre for how infamous he was how rarely that’s mentioned

Angela Davis used to have a political relationship with those people lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

staticman posted:

Didn't Jim Jones invent flavor-aid? What a fall from grace to become a sex-pest death cult leader.

No, he just laced grape flavor-aid with downers and cyanide

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ah so sex crimes too, super

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

unfortunately the least surprising part of this, that's what every cult turns into sooner or later

Yeah, I can't say I'm surprised but you hate to see it all the same

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

lollontee posted:

lmfao sodomy what the gently caress. is that rape?

Yeah, a number of states still call non-PIV rape as sodomy in the books

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Maoists would know all about the perils of cults, what with the various Austin Red Guard type formations and Chairman Bob and so on

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Gazi was already infamous for being a freak and an antisocial agitator online long before Black Hammer ever even got off the ground. He used to be noteworthy for harassing LGBTQ events.

What kind of harassment?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Sucrose posted:

I can’t imagine why any decent person would have stuck with the group after the antisemitic Anne Frank stuff.

Do people join cults for irony fun and then get wrapped in on it for real?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Let's say there's a guy who brings you in from the cold. He feeds you, clothes you, says he loves you. He is giving you power. When he says Anne Frank was a colonizer, how easy do you think it would be to maintain ironic distance?

Cults work because they're filling the vacuum of community that capitalism has left in its wake. If you can guarantee someone's material and social needs, then they can also be weaponized. You can lord those needs over them. Every day we fail to organize a real communist party that can reconstruct political community, we leave people prey to this spiritual exploitation.

The IWW referring to the Salvation Army as the Starvation Army comes to mind

They were predatory and opportunistic strikebreakers

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

post COVID posted:

US collapse will probably be a great breeding ground for insane cults

time for another megathread?!?

This is one of the premises of the Wasteland series

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yeah, in the wasteland video game series most enclaves of humanity that remain after nuclear holocaust in the US are some admixture of cults of personality, cargo cults emulating their piecemeal understandings of what American life was like before the collapse, and religious cults based on things like worshiping the atom bomb itself or Ronald Reagan or extremist christianity or something

I feel like it's the series' most apt observation about American life

Mr. Lobe has issued a correction as of 17:31 on Jul 25, 2022

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I was just thinking the other day about the Precious Moments Chapel being a post apocalyptic holy site.

Lol absolutely

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

What I'm hearing is Elon Musk needs to go to jail forever

Sounds good to me

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Futanari Damacy posted:

This "Gazi" fellow has the eyes of a crazy person. I would follow him to hell and back!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'd respect the gift if it didn't involve rape and kidnapping

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Milo and POTUS posted:

Someone took the feds for a ride once and I think they tried to throw everything at them that could possibly stick.

I'm fairly sure you can't have a sexual assault charge without accuser, but I'm no legal expert

Also, be real. It's a cult. Cults without sexual assault are the minority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

SorePotato posted:

Can't they just wipe his memory and give him a normal job or something

Don't think that is the best way to handle someone who sexually preys on the homeless personally