Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003
I have a 2014 WRX that I have a few mods on (Cobb stage 2+/stiffer sway bars/STI brake swap/Grimmspeed intercooler/Grimmspeed air-oil separator/clutch,brake pedal brace). Overall I am very happy with the car and what I have done. One thing I was annoyed about was that there is a serious lack of info to the driver. I really wanted to see oil pressure, oil temp, water pressure, and boost as well, but I don’t want to have gauges all over the place I am not a huge fan of gauge pod clusters. I found an insert that goes into my dash (the SMY Dual pod) this keeps the look much more stock and allowed me to install a Banks iDash multi gauge. The iDash is something that seems to be more for the pickup truck scene, but it works off of the CAN bus system to get basic info and power so it can be used for any modern OBDII car. It is nice because even if I am not looking at the iDash it will measure multiple inputs, and I can set a high/low alarm for anything that is being monitored and get warnings. Obviously in this way if something small happens I can know and turn off the engine before it’s a big problem (over boost, oil pressure/temp high/low. ect)

The issue I have is that I the also have a hookup for my stereo that reads info from the CAN bus as well (TPMS, Engine air intake temp, speed, battery voltage, doors open or closed) and both of these devices don’t like to work with each other. My original thought was that the iDash system was just looking at readouts from the ECU and displaying them on a gauge so that since it is only reading info they should work together. While I understand that you can’t have two devices talking on the same bus at the same time I thought that if you have one device only listening that another could “talk” to the ECU with no issues and it would not be a problem. I was wrong, or the iDash is trying to talk to something when both devices are hooked up I get little or no readings or some messed up stuff happens. For now I am just running the iDash, but I was wondering if there was some device that might mimic a network switch or a repeater or something that designed for the CAN bus system might be able to let me use both devices. Is that possible at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Many devices are already on the same network together. The CAN communication protocol has a built in way of dealing with message conflicts. It should not be a problem with your two devices talking at the same time.

How is the iDash connected to CAN? Is your radio factory or using the factory radio CAN connection? The way you wire a CAN network affects impedance and can cause communication issues.

First thing: with all devices connected and key off, measure the resistance between CAN high and CAN low at the diagnostic port. Should be 60ohm.
Second: with key on, measure voltage between CAN high and ground, then CAN low and ground. Should be ~2.5V.

ok, I didn't realize that you could have multiple devices at once, I will break out the ammeter and check.

I should have mentioned the radio is an aftermarket kenwood unit I bought that connects to the OBDII port, but is powered on it's own circuit., the iDash is also connected via OBDII there is a splitter that lets them share the port.